ADVERTISEMENT

Young and the LBs

Young is as bad a LB Nebraska has had in 20 years. He makes Sean Fisher blush. Trying, Mo Barry, Parnell, please do something this offseason. Please.

Reactions: Chuck003
He is a stud athlete, but he doesn't have the desire and attitude to execute at a high level.

If he ever gets his head right, he'll be very good

He is a stud athlete, but he doesn't have the desire and attitude to execute at a high level.

If he ever gets his head right, he'll be very good

He may be a stud, whatever you qualify that as, but he clearly lacks LB instincts.

Reactions: kakdawg
I always hate to single out a player, but he really stood out today in a bad way. I wondered if he was playing hurt as well. In addition to not having the speed to make plays, I thought his hustle when trailing plays was also very poor. If he is hurt that's one thing, but his body language seemed terrible to me. Did he want to play football today?

For a guy that has basically started the second he stepped on campus, I would hope he can really make some major improvements in his game. He just doesn't seem like a guy who set a Nebraska record for most tackles as a freshman and is one of the only players ever to start as a true freshman at linebacker. He's got to have about twenty starts under his belt at this point. Is this the leader of the defense next year? C'mon Dedrick! Need to see so much more out of you!

not sure i saw one player on defense that fit what i think a black shirt should be. lack of talent, lack of attitude, just a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Red I 73
Body language is really bad with quite a few guys on our defense.

If I was Trent Bray, I would be buying a summer home in Moreno Valley, CA and finding the next Eric Martin/Quincy Enunwa as quickly as possible.

Between #5 and #26, they missed more tackles today than some guys miss in half a season. No ability to tackle out in space, it hasn't improved and I don't think it ever will.

Young should add 10 pounds and become an edge rusher. Younger fans will laugh at that, but there's a history at NU and at the top of NFL drafts of converted LBs becoming great pass rushers.

Between #5 and #26, they missed more tackles today than some guys miss in half a season. No ability to tackle out in space, it hasn't improved and I don't think it ever will.

Young should add 10 pounds and become an edge rusher. Younger fans will laugh at that, but there's a history at NU and at the top of NFL drafts of converted LBs becoming great pass rushers.

Who?

Who was converted from LB to defensive end (or rush end)? For NU it happened at a similar moment to today's NU defense. Wanting to get a faster group on the field, we followed the lead of the Miami's and Florida States of the world and moved people such as Trev Alberts, Donta Jones, and Chad Kelsay to name only three (all played in the NFL).

Who was converted from LB to defensive end (or rush end)? For NU it happened at a similar moment to today's NU defense. Wanting to get a faster group on the field, we followed the lead of the Miami's and Florida States of the world and moved people such as Trev Alberts, Donta Jones, and Chad Kelsay to name only three (all played in the NFL).
First you have to get the guys with that kind of talent to come to NU. Starting 2 walkon defensive linemen doesn't cut it. Second you need to have to have enough talented DEPTH SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY INJURED GUYS (Young). I've seen more ignorant posts on this board in the last 24 hours that don't consider injuries and lack of depth (mostly due to the ineptitude of our last HC) than I've seen in the last 6 months. Bo boosters don't want to admit it but his behavior horribly affected our recruiting. Enough with the bashing Young. When was the last time we had a sophomore linebacker that has played as well as Young? Why did we have to start a true freshman at linebacker last year in the first place? The kid has battled injuries all year then a bunch of keyboard football geniuses get on the web and bash him. This is the second dumbest thread I've seen on this board all fall. What a bunch of pansies bashing players and coaches because we got beat playing our 2nd string walk on QB against a team loaded with talent and speed. We started 6 walk ons last night. Tennessee is going to have at least one first rounder and possible several early round draft picks. Who from NU is going to get drafted? Gerry? Maybe not and he didn't play. Maurice probably. Anybody else? Nope. Grow up people.

I like Young. I think he has a solid future.
Our defense regressed in fundamentals at the end of the season. No doubt about it. But that too is a function of depth, fatigue, and injuries. I think our defense was playing hurt and worn out. That leads to poor execution. And then that leads to low morale.

We need more depth, more talent, and a renewed attention to the small things

Reactions: timnsun
I think the S/C program needs to concentrate more on speed and agility of the defense rather than just bulking them up. Barnet was more athletic as a DE as any of our DL or LB and most of our DBs. That is sad.

Too many think just because you are in the B1G that you have to be so much stronger. Sure your OL and DL need to be stronger but you have to have fast LB and DBs. Kalu has been very good for Nebraska and he even got schooled yesterday. Speed and athleticism kills.

He may be a stud, whatever you qualify that as, but he clearly lacks LB instincts.

He doesnt have the instincts to play at a high level imo.He is big enough and fast enough and physically he LOOKS the part. But he doesnt have that feel for the game imo.

Same thing i thought about Bando for his entire career up until he had a nice little 5-6 game run or so of playing good football. But he seems to have reverted back to his former self as well over the last 3-4 games.

Ivey wasnt good either.

I may have to go watch it again but those guys as a group looked horrible.

IMO Brey needs to coach these guys up better OR he better recruit guys with better talent and feel for the game. IMO that shit yesterday and for a good part of this year is unacceptable.

holla

First you have to get the guys with that kind of talent to come to NU. Starting 2 walkon defensive linemen doesn't cut it. Second you need to have to have enough talented DEPTH SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY INJURED GUYS (Young). I've seen more ignorant posts on this board in the last 24 hours that don't consider injuries and lack of depth (mostly due to the ineptitude of our last HC) than I've seen in the last 6 months. Bo boosters don't want to admit it but his behavior horribly affected our recruiting. Enough with the bashing Young. When was the last time we had a sophomore linebacker that has played as well as Young? Why did we have to start a true freshman at linebacker last year in the first place? The kid has battled injuries all year then a bunch of keyboard football geniuses get on the web and bash him. This is the second dumbest thread I've seen on this board all fall. What a bunch of pansies bashing players and coaches because we got beat playing our 2nd string walk on QB against a team loaded with talent and speed. We started 6 walk ons last night. Tennessee is going to have at least one first rounder and possible several early round draft picks. Who from NU is going to get drafted? Gerry? Maybe not and he didn't play. Maurice probably. Anybody else? Nope. Grow up people.

Alot of these fools still haven't figured out that Nebraska is severely lacking with legit type talent and athleticism yet. There are nice players here, but we need some difference makers in a bad way. Young would look alot better with a legit DLINE in front of him and a true difference maker beside him at LB. Hopefully Avery can fill that role.

Everyone who disagrees with your opinion is not "ignorant". Young has decent straight ahead speed and lacks lateral quickness always has-- injury excuses aside. I was told by a member of the team that Young was close to 100%. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

This D still cannot cover a TE. Errytyne they had a TE move across the field the NU LB was 10 yards away. I deleted the game about 30 seconds after it was over, so I don't have any specifics but it reminds me of the GA game couple years ago. Slow defenders all over the field.

Talent is not an excuse up front. I keep hearing it over and over. Parrella needs to coach them up and set the tone. "There is plenty of talent"

Maybe in the interior of the line but not at Rush end we don't have the talent on the edges plan and simple.
Nope. Quit making excuses. "Plenty of talent" left by the last staff. If that crap is consistently claimed, it goes for every damn position and coach. Pretty damn hypocritical to claim otherwise now.

Nope. Quit making excuses. "Plenty of talent" left by the last staff. If that crap is consistently claimed, it goes for every damn position and coach. Pretty damn hypocritical to claim otherwise now.

Primarily left the cupboard bare in a lot of places when he left the biggest area was at rush end.

Dzuris, Natter,King, had to move Akinmoladun from TE to DE because of Necessity. Where do you see the talent?

Last edited:
Primarily left the cupboard bare in a lot of places when he left the biggest area was at rush end.

Dzuris, Natter,King, had to move Akinmoladun from TE to DE because of Necessity. Where do you see the talent?
Doesn't matter. All you have to say is there is plenty of talent. Why has Freedom regressed? See, it's easy to make the "talent is there" claim. Keep it consistent

Doesn't matter. All you have to say is there is plenty of talent. Why has Freedom regressed? See, it's easy to make the "talent is there" claim. Keep it consistent
Maybe JP is indeed a bad hire? Another swinnnnnnnggg and a miss by Riley/Banker? Shouldn't happen under a "CEO" type head coach.

I hear you but I'm sick of hearing about injuries. Get over it. It's part of it. Do you realize Tenn had more injuries than any team this year. 11 starters were out. 7 on defense. They lost to Vandy for crying out loud. By the way of last night. Tenn was missing 4 def starters. Started their 4th and 5th string DT. They had to convert DE to play DT. They did okay against us. We're a top 35 team not top 10 like folks think.

OSU started 1 SR, Wisconsin and Iowa 4, Neb 13. It's not getting better anytime soon.

I hear you but I'm sick of hearing about injuries. Get over it. It's part of it. Do you realize Tenn had more injuries than any team this year. 11 starters were out. 7 on defense. They lost to Vandy for crying out loud. By the way of last night. Tenn was missing 4 def starters. Started their 4th and 5th string DT. They had to convert DE to play DT. They did okay against us. We're a top 35 team not top 10 like folks think.

OSU started 1 SR, Wisconsin and Iowa 4, Neb 13. It's not getting better anytime soon.
See? It's obvious. Just because you have Seniors, you have more talent. It's so clear.

Talent is not an excuse up front. I keep hearing it over and over. Parrella needs to coach them up and set the tone. "There is plenty of talent"

Really? It is not a problem? Let's see, we have a former TE playing DE and he has no business being there. You have a walk on at the other DE. A couple of scholarship tackles with one being very young (two if you count the brothers) and Stoltenberg. Now that is not what I would call elite talent in any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Really? It is not a problem? Let's see, we have a former TE playing DE and he has no business being there. You have a walk on at the other DE. A couple of scholarship tackles with one being very young (two if you count the brothers) and Stoltenberg. Now that is not what I would call elite talent in any stretch of the imagination.
Plenty of talent. Herp derp. Just need decent coaches. Herp derp

I like Young. I think he has a solid future.
Our defense regressed in fundamentals at the end of the season. No doubt about it. But that too is a function of depth, fatigue, and injuries. I think our defense was playing hurt and worn out. That leads to poor execution. And then that leads to low morale.

We need more depth, more talent, and a renewed attention to the small things

You are making excuses for them that do not add up. I understand being hurt, really hurt but name a team who isn't at this time of year. I thing that very point is why there is hesitancy to go to more playoff games. I regress.

Every team is tired, worn down, hurt, filling holes, etc. When everyone is fresh at the start of the year, it is easier but once the bruises start to add up, the body and the mind become less willing.

Without doubt we need more talent, depth and better coaching in some areas. That will ALWAYS be a given. In this era of 85 limits it is going to happen. Get over it. The poor execution is a result of many factors but it starts with the ability to perform and you go from there. If you don't have that, then you are facing an uphill battle. Move all the players you want to different positions and see what you end up with.

Eric Johnson LB (late 90's) ran 10.7 100m. Do we have anyone in the back 7 currently with that kind of speed?

We look slow - Banker's comments in the paper today seem to acknowledge the same. Looking for smaller LB'ers in the 215-230 lb range who can run. At least it's acknowledged and being addressed - time is the question

Reactions: dinglefritz

Go look at how Tennessee has recruited the past 5-6 years and compare that to what BoBo did. The issue IMO was that even with what I saw as a lack of talent in key positions, we were a couple of difference makers away from winning last night. Even with Barnett eating us alive we were in that game and with one playmaker in the D line and maybe even just a healthy TA we would have had a very good shot of winning that game. Heck give us Barnett and let them have Freedom and we win that game. That tells me that our coaches did a helluva job with a less than average 2 deep. JMHO. Tennessee's problems earlier in the year were lots of turnovers. How many did they have last night?

ADVERTISEMENT