ADVERTISEMENT

You play like you practice, so why do you not fix mistakes in practice?

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
Frost said there are two ways to run a practice.

1. Get as many reps in as possible and fix the mistakes in the film room.
  2. Run practice but when players make a mistake fix it right then during practice but reps are reduced as much as 35-50%.

Frost and company have went with option 1. The issue with this is that you will for the most part, play in games like you practice. If you are trying to fix issues in the film room how are you teaching them technique while they are playing and getting hit and running? This also, I believe, doesn't fix the issue so they will continue the bad habbit on the field.

I am not a coach but most coaches I believe do not run practice like this. Those that do run it like Frost and company probably already have the technique down with their players. I just think Frost is too inexperienced as a head coach and too full of pride to rethink and change the issues that are broken.

I hope I am wrong but I do not see him changing, nor do I see Moos making a change till after year five. Can you imagine two more years of loosing records? We are already the 13th rated team out of 14 in the big ten, second worse team, ugh! We have gotten worse as far as record every year. I feel as though Husker football is dead.

There are clearly some bad practice habits being allowed to perpetuate. The soft blocking obviously being one of them.

RBs have been running harder, you can see that's become a point of emphasis. My hope is that the DL and LBs playing nastier will get the OL to wake the hell up and act like they enjoy hitting.

Moos won’t fire Frost until after year 5 if no winning season comes, but if I was Moos I would be talking to SF about considering some staff changes after the season is completed..
He has to. Frost is responsible for the team, but Moos is responsible for the program. Moos is old enough that he doesn't care. If this experiment fails, he'll just pack the moving truck and move back to Washington. I don't think he wants to fail, but he can call it a wrap. He'll never be worried about another job or money again

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Agreed. Moos should tell Frost that year 6 isn't guaranteed if years 4 and 5 are losing seasons.
Frost has to have a winning season next year or he has to show momentum in terms of player development. 4 years are enough. We will know within the next 12 months if he has what it takes. Right now it looks like a long shot

Frost has to have a winning season next year or he has to show momentum in terms of player development. 4 years are enough. We will know within the next 12 months if he has what it takes. Right now it looks like a long shot
Are you saying that Moos would fire Frost after next year if we have a losing season and no signs of improvement? I don't think so. I think he gives him five years no matter what.

2. Run practice but when players make a mistake fix it right then during practice but reps are reduced as much as 35-50%.

Frost and company have went with option 1. The issue with this is that you will for the most part, play in games like you practice. If you are trying to fix issues in the film room how are you teaching them technique while they are playing and getting hit and running? This also, I believe, doesn't fix the issue so they will continue the bad habbit on the field.

I am not a coach but most coaches I believe do not run practice like this. Those that do run it like Frost and company probably already have the technique down with their players. I just think Frost is too inexperienced as a head coach and too full of pride to rethink and change the issues that are broken.

I hope I am wrong but I do not see him changing, nor do I see Moos making a change till after year five. Can you imagine two more years of loosing records? We are already the 13th rated team out of 14 in the big ten, second worse team, ugh! We have gotten worse as far as record every year. I feel as though Husker football is dead.
More reps do you absolutely no good if they're wrong. Even the most basic scientific studies point this out. This explains a lot for how badly disciplined we are and keep seeing the same mistakes over and over again. We instill these mistakes and bad habits because we don't ever fix them.

Reactions: countrybob

It all starts in practice and what these players and coaches are doing to prepare throughout the year. These aren't mistakes that just show up on gameday. They're instilled through practice. There's obviously a lot wrong with their approach and they'll need to completely overhaul what they're doing this offseason.

Reactions: countrybob
perhaps the ratio of students to teachers is to the point that correcting mistakes during practice is not viable. perhaps there are too many walk on players.
Osborne and even Solich handled it just fine. Obviously Frost isn't Osborne though.

Osborne and even Solich handled it just fine. Obviously Frost isn't Osborne though.

I'm not up on possible rule changes from the Osborne era but are the number of assistant coaches, interns and other hanger ons the same now as there were back in the day?

I havent really noticed much watching the games in TV but has anybody else saw too many coaches meeting with the o-line or defense while they are on the sidelines? I cant stand coaches who dont coach during the game. Even if you are yelling for them to change their technique at the end of a play. I havent really seen much of this behavior from the staff. I also cant stnd seeing the QB coach in the press box. Position coaches should always be on the field in my opinion so they can coach up the players during the game.

Reactions: oldjar07
Moos won’t fire Frost until after year 5 if no winning season comes, but if I was Moos I would be talking to SF about considering some staff changes after the season is completed..
If you change staff members but conduct practices the same way how is this a net gain?
IMO staff changes won’t matter. It’s Frost who needs to grow or go. I want him to grow and change
When have you seen every o lineman finish the block to or past the whistle? Not Farniok, not Benhart, etc
Pieper has had some lookout! blocks this season
I’m convinced that until things change Monday thru Friday this won’t get better
This isn’t the PAC 12, this isn’t the American. Our O line gets whipped way too often in year 3. Frost needs to get this figured out. As the CEO of the program he is failing to match the Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, etc. Good thing we didn’t play Wisconsin we wouldn’t have been prepared
Its not the players, in my opinion. And we’re not young like Frost has been saying. This is a coaching deficiency

Chip Kelly at Oregon would practice at the tempo they wanted to play at in games. They would run plays from the line and get as many plays in as they could within a given period. With that, they would correct mistakes on the field using a single term that the players all understood and make larger corrections in the film room.

In addition to the tempo, one objective is to not waste practice time correcting an error by a single player while the other 10 guys are standing around. (That’s an oversimplified example).

It is a really effective way of running practice. Fast tempo, game like situations, which require your guys to play under pressure or get acclimated to game speed. Mix in a few walkthrough periods and you have a great and effective practice plan.

Coach Kelly also was innovative in having morning practices, shorter time on the field, changing the players day off to Thursday vs Monday and having fast Friday’s. With what we know about the importance of sleep, recovery, and stimulating the CNS, he was ahead of his time. Coach Frost has taken much of that as well as other programs throughout the country.

Chip Kelly at Oregon would practice at the tempo they wanted to play at in games. They would run plays from the line and get as many plays in as they could within a given period. With that, they would correct mistakes on the field using a single term that the players all understood and make larger corrections in the film room.

In addition to the tempo, one objective is to not waste practice time correcting an error by a single player while the other 10 guys are standing around. (That’s an oversimplified example).

It is a really effective way of running practice. Fast tempo, game like situations, which require your guys to play under pressure or get acclimated to game speed. Mix in a few walkthrough periods and you have a great and effective practice plan.

Coach Kelly also was innovative in having morning practices, shorter time on the field, changing the players day off to Thursday vs Monday and having fast Friday’s. With what we know about the importance of sleep, recovery, and stimulating the CNS, he was ahead of his time. Coach Frost has taken much of that as well as other programs throughout the country.
We should do what nick saban does and not chip kelly. It’s not working at UCLA either.

How well is that working out for both Frost and Kelly? Also, this is Nebraska, not Oregon. I couldn't care less what Oregon does. There's also a lot of scientific evidence that says reps aren't effective if the individual is incorrect in technique or is unfocused. I'd rather we take the time to correct mistakes than reinforce those mistakes by not correcting them just to get a few more reps in.

I agree that things aren’t working out well for Chip Kelly and UCLA and there are obvious differences between Oregon and Nebraska. But I also believe that his practice philosophy has been studied and adopted by winning programs throughout the country. If any of you are like me, and played college football 15 years ago, the game is drastically different from the one we played. From training, rest/recovery, tackling techniques, evolution of the game (spread, RPO, hybrid defenses), practice schedules/periods, etc. I’m not trying to piss anyone off by saying that, but just like me, people want to refer back to what has been done that we viewed as a successful practice while things today are drastically different. This article is dated a bit, but details what I’m talking about. I’ll shut up now.

ADVERTISEMENT