ADVERTISEMENT

You know how far we've fallen when

Sure, I don't like that we have sucked since we joined this league, but the reason I hate the move is because we flushed our entire identity down the toilet by making the change. All the old rivalries, the old traditions, all of it, down the john. So yes, now Nebraska has to start over at square 1, and it hasn't been a good 7 years with the financial screw job that Perlman and Delaney did. We used to have a say so in the old conference, some real weight, even if we were outvoted, now, we are just told what to do. All the close games you used to be able to travel to, those are mostly gone, and on top of it all, you have a conference hell bent on tv money, regardless if it hurts the league's chances to get into the playoffs. Thanks for the 9 games Jim. I absolutely hate the Big Ten, and no I'll never like it.
Actually some of the really old rivalries included Iowa and Minnesota. Your problem is that you haven't been alive long enough to include some of the really old stuff in your memory banks. I like the B1G and eventually it will be the normal for us. Heck I hated the Big12 and missed the B1G 8.

Reactions: timnsun
So if I’m reading this right, so far the BIG “sucks balls” because

1) The opponents are further away (this is the fault of the conference how?)
2) Maryland and Rutgers may or may not have received better deals (fault of the conference how?)
3) Our old rivalries now reside in the B12, the SEC, and the PAC 12 (fault of the conference how?)

The BIG 8 isn’t coming back. That all ended when the Big 12 was formed.

You know what sucks balls? Things like Dan Beebe being hand picked for one purpose: to service UT in every way imaginable, in ways that are probably illegal in many states. Things of that nature ARE the fault of the conference, are dysfunctional as hell and truly “suck balls”.

The BIG is on its way to becoming the best football conference. It’s attracting coaching talent. It’s not done attracting premiere programs.

And college football pays the bills in the current landscape if you want a nationally relevant program. You might not care about that. But intelligent administrations do.

Our current issues are 100% self inflicted. But the good news is, we’re positioned to get out of the hole and if this program starts holding up its end of the deal, the rewards in this conference can and will be great.

Damn fine post sir. Indeed, Dan Beebe and Texas were pathetic and corrupt as anything can get. I loved the Big8 but I miss the BigXII like another hole in my head. So does Missouri, TAM & Colorado.

Don’t confuse more offense with soft defense. Clemson and Alabama are notoriously tough defenses but seem to give up 40 points a piece when they play each other. Is Frost soft on D? His team last year gave up their fair share of points. Penn St and Ohio St was a 39-38 game.
So are you saying the Big 12 has tough defenses? I'm not confusing Alabama and Clemson's defenses (also in the top 10 in total defense) with Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, et al.

Because I said I didn't want games with both teams in the 40s didn't mean it can never happen. I was referring to the regular occurrences of that type of score in the Big 12. No thanks. I think that type of conference also doesn't prepare teams for playoffs when they go up against real defenses and the field isn't quite as open as they are used to. Now Oklahoma put up a hell of a battle against Georgia last year, but I'd say it was more due to their dynamic offense and not their defense.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
So are you saying the Big 12 has tough defenses? I'm not confusing Alabama and Clemson's defenses (also in the top 10 in total defense) with Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, et al.

Because I said I didn't want games with both teams in the 40s didn't mean it can never happen. I was referring to the regular occurrences of that type of score in the Big 12. No thanks. I think that type of conference also doesn't prepare teams for playoffs when they go up against real defenses and the field isn't quite as open as they are used to. Now Oklahoma put up a hell of a battle against Georgia last year, but I'd say it was more due to their dynamic offense and not their defense.

I think that is what I said. The offenses and their wide open nature caused the scores to get to where they are not necessarily soft defense.
When offenses are quick strike and fast paced the defenses will be on the field more, they will give up more yards and more points. My comments weren’t necessarily an endorsement of that type of play but I don’t think Nebraska is going to be in any 17-14 games so I have decided to embrace it and not fight it, because it’s coming.

My vote is also old big 8, the big 12 could have been great but OU didn't want to play us yearly anymore and the big 12 didn't have the the fortitude to have cross division rivalry games then the other big 8 schools hopped in bed with Texas to screw Nebraska. On to the big 10 at first I liked it and I don't hate it but it really seems like boring football like Iowa, Wisconsin, northwestern, even the schools expect for Ohio state and penn st is like watching the freaking paint dry. To me it appeares there more worried about the old rivalrys and not the big picture

2) Maryland and Rutgers may or may not have received better deals (fault of the conference how?)
3) Our old rivalries now reside in the B12, the SEC, and the PAC 12 (fault of the conference how?)

You know what sucks balls? Things like Dan Beebe being hand picked for one purpose: to service UT in every way imaginable, in ways that are probably illegal in many states. Things of that nature ARE the fault of the conference, are dysfunctional as hell, and truly “suck balls” — literally as well as figuratively.

The BIG is on its way to becoming the best football conference. It’s attracting coaching talent. It’s not done attracting premiere programs.

And college football pays the bills in the current landscape if you want a nationally relevant program. You might not care about that. But intelligent administrations do.

Our current issues are 100% self inflicted. But the good news is, we’re positioned to get out of the hole and if this program starts holding up its end of the deal, the rewards in this conference can and will be great.

Ummmmm

If we're going to point fingers and poke holes in wins, let's at least do it right. We're blaming our win vs OSU on Fickle?? Everybody knows its Bauserman who was responsible for our W.
bauserman_passing_chart2.jpg

Actually compared to the 2015 game at Purdue, last year's game was an all-timer. I tried to get on board with the Riley regime, but that 2015 game entrenched me as a skeptic. Playing a walk-on QB against one of the half-dozen worst rushing defenses in the nation, and Langsford decides to chuck the ball all over the field. As a special bonus, we got to hear about how NU couldn't run because Purdue was stacking the box!!! Never mind that actual running plays averaged 5+ yards per carry that day, with sacks and botched snaps dragging it down around 2 yards - that didn't matter. If you were puzzled about NU's game plan, you were Stuck-in-the-90s-Run-the-Ball-Guy and needed to be a better fan!
X1000

Sure, I don't like that we have sucked since we joined this league, but the reason I hate the move is because we flushed our entire identity down the toilet by making the change. All the old rivalries, the old traditions, all of it, down the john. So yes, now Nebraska has to start over at square 1, and it hasn't been a good 7 years with the financial screw job that Perlman and Delaney did. We used to have a say so in the old conference, some real weight, even if we were outvoted, now, we are just told what to do. All the close games you used to be able to travel to, those are mostly gone, and on top of it all, you have a conference hell bent on tv money, regardless if it hurts the league's chances to get into the playoffs. Thanks for the 9 games Jim. I absolutely hate the Big Ten, and no I'll never like it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But there are other reasons why we left. The primary reason will likely rear it's ugly head eventually. I doubt the Big XII will be around in it's current form in 10 years. The conference likely could have been saved with better leadership 10+ years ago. You should probably read or re-read up on some of the history of what actually led to the events of our leaving the conference. It was either leave or potentially end up in the Mountain West.

Sweatervest- OSU win worth chest thumping IMHO

Luke Fickle- OSU win not worth chest thumping. (In his defense he didn't have a whole lot of time to coach up a team that just lost their coach to scandal)

Urban Meyer- OSU win worth chest thumping.

And just remember we had to have a school record setting come from behind win just to beat that shaken OSU team.

Anybody besides me see the difference in these OSU teams? Or am I being too critical here in what constitutes the greater glory?

You know what sucks balls? Things like Dan Beebe being hand picked for one purpose: to service UT in every way imaginable, in ways that are probably illegal in many states. Things of that nature ARE the fault of the conference, are dysfunctional as hell, and truly “suck balls” — literally as well as figuratively.

While the B1G requires more adjustment time, mostly because we lost our winning ways, I began to hate the B12 as much as I loved the Big8. Texas ruined everything, and OU ran from us during their downturn, killing what was nationally the BEST rivalry in CF. I mean it. I traveled a lot in those days, and EVERYONE would watch that game, which defined CF for its intensity and quality football. OSU/MI is fun & nasty, historical, but was not the same quality for the most part over decades.

The concept of rivalry comes up a lot, and people are pushing Iowa as the target, but a real rivalry that catches the nation's eye and moves thing really forward requires championship caliber games that decide real championship trophies, not gimmicky ones. I'm betting that happens between the two reds, NU and Wisky. Alverez is NU trained, he will get it, as will HCSF.

Once that happens repeatedly, no one will remember Texas or the B12.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT