ADVERTISEMENT

You can take Bo out of the program but cant take the Bo........

These are the fans Pelini was referring too. The ones who create threads like this.
Close. Bo disliked any fan that questioned what he was doing.

Back to TA, I agree with you jeans. I highly doubt TA is thinking to call out fans while twittering or while taking to the media. It's about him and his teammates. Nothing to do (good or bad) with the fans.

Reactions: jeans15
Apparently you haven't read the other replies to this thread.
Yeah...I was wrong.

Tommy, you can use the "us vs. the world" phrasing any time you want if by the world you mean some of our idiotic fans who populate this board. The idea that you are in the wrong for not kissing the behind of people like this is ridiculous. Please know that the crazies on this board are not representative of our entire fanbase.

Last edited:
Reactions: meo1960
If there wasn't a 7 year run of a foul mouth coach before him that hated the fans and talked the same way I would agree with you...but there was....and this sounds like the same rhetoric to a lot of people. He's made several quotes recently about everyone he cares for and plays for, and he never mentions the fans...so many people, myself included, are going to think to themselves "this again".

In others words, there would be nothing wrong with what he wrote, except for how it plays into this narrative (as narrated above) you have going.

I don't know what Tommy has going on in his head. It seems to me when he is on the field he works his ass off. The bonehead plays he makes aren't a product of apathy. If he's doing that for the fans or his teammates or to give glory to the demonlord Zarutha, I give not one shuck. It is completely unkownable for this desk jockey and I refuse to invent little soap operas around what he might be thinking.

In others words, there would be nothing wrong with what he wrote, except for how it plays into this narrative (as narrated above) you have going.

I don't know what Tommy has going on in his head. It seems to me when he is on the field he works his ass off. The bonehead plays he makes aren't a product of apathy. If he's doing that for the fans or his teammates or to give glory to the demonlord Zarutha, I give not one shuck. It is completely unkownable for this desk jockey and I refuse to invent little soap operas around what he might be thinking.
He doesn't listen to his coaches and walks out of practice cause he's butthurt that his OC is chewing his ass. Real leader there.

This is on the coaching staff. Tommy is a hell of a great player, but he is not the type of passer needed in a West Coast offense and hasn't been. You need someone who can throw accurately at around a 65% completion rate and not throw INTs. If the coaches are going to play TA at QB, then use his strengths. With our coaching staff, they are like trying to teach a cheetah to fly if you expect him to pass every other down.

This is on the coaching staff. Tommy is a hell of a great player, but he is not the type of passer needed in a West Coast offense and hasn't been. You need someone who can throw accurately at around a 65% completion rate and not throw INTs. If the coaches are going to play TA at QB, then use his strengths. With our coaching staff, they are like trying to teach a cheetah to fly if you expect him to pass every other down.

We don't run the West Coast offense.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Now maybe I'm going out on a limb here but i think it's all about recruiting and the future. They want to show future recruits that they are committed to a pro style offense that throws to set up the run. If they went run heavy this year it might of jeopardized potential future recievers and quarterbacks.

Now maybe I'm going out on a limb here but i think it's all about recruiting and the future. They want to show future recruits that they are committed to a pro style offense that throws to set up the run. If they went run heavy this year it might of jeopardized potential future recievers and quarterbacks.
So what you are saying is that they let the team fail this year to prove a point that they can make their style of offense work in Lincoln? I sure hope not

GMAFB,,,,,you're fans. The players will ALWAYS play for each other before you. You're not at practice and you damn sure don't give a damn when they get hurt. Other than some BS post on here about hope he gets well soon only so a player can help your team win.

These are the fans Pelini was referring too. The ones who create threads like this. Based on some of the post in this thread, Why should he play for POS fans like this.
It's very simple... cause most of us fans "Aren't" like that. We want what is best for every player on the team! You don't categorize a whole fan base based on a couple of knuckle heads

Tommy Armstrong commited to "Nebraska"... not Tom Osborne.... not Bo Pelini... not Harvey Perlman... NEBRASKA.

There is only one thing that will always remain here at Nebraska and the is the fans... you play for your teammates, fans and the name Nebraska

* Memorial Stadium is a beautiful place, but guess what someone could one day decide to tear it down!

* Mike Riley is our head coach... he could one day get fired, resign or retire. The same goes for every other human that works at Nebraska

*Teammates are a constant, but even some of them come and go

*Fans we may die, but we still live on cause we pass it down from one generation to the next, and we will continue to cheer you on through thick and thin

What I say to the mindset of Tommy Armstrong is. As shitty as this season was, how many fans were in the seats to see the 5-6 Nebraska team play? It was a hell of a lot more then Illinois and Purdue put out there wasn't it?

We support you, but our die hard support deserves a better product then what you put out there. I will never give up on Nebraska and will cheer on whoever coaches or plays here. Win or Lose we still watch every game, and that is what matters!

He doesn't listen to his coaches and walks out of practice cause he's butthurt that his OC is chewing his ass. Real leader there.

1. Has nothing to do with what he wrote.
2. I don't know much about what is going on in practice or what the relationship is like between him and Langsdorf. I'd be surprised if many on here do. Some probably do, but I'm not going to worry about separating the chaff from the wheat.
3. If he did storm off, so what? People are idiots some times. Apparently Crouch just about took his ball and went home. Arguments happen. That's between Langsdorf and Armstrong. I do know that Langsdorf has never benched him. So either Langsdorf is a complete wus, or it's really not an issue.

Yeah...I was wrong.

Tommy, you can use the "us vs. the world" phrasing any time you want if by the world you mean some of our idiotic fans who populate this board. The idea that are in the wrong for not kissing the behind of people like this is ridiculous. Please know that the crazies on this board are not representative of our entire fanbase.
And by the crazies you are referring too,I hope you include yourself on that list.

Tommy, what's up with that? We all love you...no one is against you. Just read this board and you will know you are supported. Don't go all Bo on us when we have done nothing but give you encouragement and kudos. You are a Husker...and we have your back! GBR
That's a joke, right? Hard to open this board without seeing 100 comments saying how we need a new QB and that Tommy was the reason we lost all our games this season. I pray he doesn't go to this board because how else would you expect him to react after reading all this garbage?

I think there is a real problem with fans these days. Everyone thinks "I've paid my ticket price, so I have a right to express my dissatisfaction." Give me a break. Your $100 doesn't mean squat. You're paying the $100 for entertainment. If it didn't entertain you, you'd spend it elsewhere. So now you think you have the right to bash on college-aged men? Reality check. You're not really a fan. Let the coaches coach. Let the coaches decide who should be on teh field. Your job is to cheer them on and yes, sometimes get your pride hurt when the team comes up short. But this non-stop blame game of coaches and players is enough.

That's a joke, right? Hard to open this board without seeing 100 comments saying how we need a new QB and that Tommy was the reason we lost all our games this season. I pray he doesn't go to this board because how else would you expect him to react after reading all this garbage?

I think there is a real problem with fans these days. Everyone thinks "I've paid my ticket price, so I have a right to express my dissatisfaction." Give me a break. Your $100 doesn't mean squat. You're paying the $100 for entertainment. If it didn't entertain you, you'd spend it elsewhere. So now you think you have the right to bash on college-aged men? Reality check. You're not really a fan. Let the coaches coach. Let the coaches decide who should be on teh field. Your job is to cheer them on and yes, sometimes get your pride hurt when the team comes up short. But this non-stop blame game of coaches and players is enough.

You know what any team or player or coach gets with this attitude? About 8-10K in the stands, if their lucky.

Reactions: TheNewNU
You know what any team or player or coach gets with this attitude? About 8-10K in the stands, if their lucky.
Read his post. He said us against the world. That is a general statement that people make when saying "we will get through anything together". He didn't call out the " fans" even though the "fans" have called him out.

This is a chicken and egg thing. You say Tommy needs to embrace the fans who come to games. I don't disagree. But if he was your kid and you read message boards from these "fans" mostly whom are adults, that bash him and say he's the sole reason for our woes, would you not feel a bit stung?

If we want to be the best football fans, we need to start acting like it.

out of the players. Us against the world lives on.

tommy_gun4Throughout my junior year I've dealt with so many obstacles and challenges. The lord has a plan and through tough times he finds a way to give back to the ones who accepts the challenges for better or worse. Next year is my last year as a "Husker" and I can promise my teammates and Brothers that they will get my all. Times will get hard, times will get frustrating and times will be great but I can promise you that I will push them to another level. It's us against the world and throughout my career I've realized that my brothers support me no matter what. Offseason starts now with or without a bowl game!! This season is a learning experience for not just me but for our team!! 2016 will be something special!! One last ride with my boys!!!

sorry to say but this sounds like TA is all about himself. He will push them to another level. OMG.....TA should push HIMself to another
level. And His "brothers support him no matter what..." Why not him supporting his brothers ! Maybe it's
just that TA doesn't know how to express himself but it sounds so self-serving . Could that be part of
the problem?

Reactions: StrongArm517
Frankly he's a bad quarterback with a bad attitude. He cannot make high school level passing reads, He has poor mechanics, He has below average arm strength, He has no pocket awareness, Instead of allowing his OL to protect him he reverse pivots and runs to his right at the first sign of pressure and chucks one up for grabs. Instead of taking plays that the defense is giving him he resorts to hero ball so he can save the day when in actuality he hurts his team. If he really wants to be the great leader that he thinks he is he will change positions to running back when Riley brings in a real QB.

Reactions: Redblood23
Does it ever occur to the incessant critics that their incessant criticism in fact reinforces this mentality?

Then the they would have to realize they helped get rid of 2 coaches that were winning 9 to 10 games for 2 coaches who started 5-7, And help create the very attitude they have such disdain for. No way in hell...arrogance is blinding

Reactions: Tulsa Tom
There is nothing wrong with he wrote, other than it fits into some weird narrative you folks have going.

Yeah, right. The expression "us against the world" is a very positive statement that all stable and confident athletes commonly express in public.

Twitter certainly doesn't help these relationships. It really can be a cesspool of faceless posters who post at players knowing full well that there will be no ramifications for saying things they would never say in public, let alone in person. That said, players have to be above that, and should be properly trained to be above that. Easier said than done, obviously, having read some of the vitriol directed to public figures in the Twittersphere. I guess it comes with the territory, but human beings have a natural breaking point.

Compare his tweet and the article I posted about DPE. Huge difference in attitude.

Compare his tweet and the article I posted about DPE. Huge difference in attitude.
Huge difference in idiotic vitriol directed at Tommy vs. DeMorney. DPE gets praised for being a great player. He certainly is a great returner...we really don't know about him as a receiver yet...he has averaged just one reception a game.

The other gets told he has mental issues, doesn't try or care, purposefully throws games, is hated by his teammates, refuses to listen to the coaches, etc.

Embracing the folks who say these things and believing that they are really on your side simply is not natural. This whole thread is completely ridiculous. The crazies bash Tommy only to then say, "What is wrong? Why won't he say that he plays for us?"

Huge difference in idiotic vitriol directed at Tommy vs. DeMorney. DPE gets praised for being a great player. He certainly is a great returner...we really don't know about him as a receiver yet...he has averaged just one reception a game.

The other gets told he has mental issues, doesn't try or care, purposefully throws games, is hated by his teammates, refuses to listen to the coaches, etc.

Embracing the folks who say these things and believing that they are really on your side simply is not natural. This whole thread is completely ridiculous. The crazies bash Tommy only to then say, "What is wrong? Why won't he say that he plays for us?"

My response is based on how they handle adversity.

Then the they would have to realize they helped get rid of 2 coaches that were winning 9 to 10 games for 2 coaches who started 5-7, And help create the very attitude they have such disdain for. No way in hell...arrogance is blinding

Well, I don't want to go there, but I take your point. Whereas I was ambivalent about Frank's firing and would have given him another year, I firmly believed and still believe Bo needed to go. I also would dispute the notion that his firing was primarily a result of unreal expectations because that would leave out a lot of other relevant details.

Where I think we both agree, however, is that every time some fan starts a thread like this, parsing the minutiae of what a perceived pro-Bo player says, the player isn't given the benefit of the doubt simply because they didn't praise or thank the fans in the same sentence they praised or thanked their teammates and coaches. I think this is ridiculous in the case of TA, as Riley had nothing but good things to say about him, his attitude, and his commitment from the beginning. Now, after he had his worse game, rumors surface that he doesn't get along with the coaches, that he won't take to Langs' teaching, that he walked out on practice. Did it really happen or was the rumor invented to impugn the reputation of a player who is now being perceived as part of the problem and not the solution? Whatever the case, the timing is not coincidental.

Now apparently some of our fans feel entitled not only to a great product on the field, but they also want the players and coaches to thank them at every opportunity for making it possible. I understood this attitude when Bo was here and he was saying things like "**** these fairweather ****ing fans." Hey Blohard, maybe you should show a little gratitude, who makes your 3 million dollar check possible? But aren't we being a little overly sensitive now? I don't think the players owe us anything except their commitment and effort, and I think they give that and I think they have enough reasons of their own to play hard without thinking of us.

Finally, when fans do nothing but criticize players, and especially their effort and commitment to this thing we merely watch passively for enjoyment, I don't blame the players for thinking many of us don't have their back. I mean, how many have had TA's back in the last week? And you can include me among the critics, even I said I "divorced" him after the Iowa game. If we want to see the relationship between the fans and players repaired, we're gonna have to hold up our end of the bargain too. We can start by stopping threads like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Ramirez
Yeah, right. The expression "us against the world" is a very positive statement that all stable and confident athletes commonly express in public.

No, not all stable and confident athletes, but it's a statement that is frequently made in the sports world without it being some indication of dysfunction, although it's generally associated with struggling teams.

----------------------
Pro football:
“It’s us against the world, and that’s going to be our mentality any time we go on the road,” Head Coach Mike McCoy said. "We have a very close-knit football team, and we’re going to stick together just like we did at our stadium the other day for 60 minutes. It’s more important on the road to stick together, and (that means) being smart with the football, playing well on defense, sustaining drives and getting off the field on defense to keep the crowd noise out of it. No stupid penalties on the road. There are a lot of little things and little details that are that much more important on the road.”

College football:
http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122111aab.html?wappref=std

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1609614-wes-lunt-it-s-us-against-the-world

College basketball

"I think it's fun," sophomore guard Aaron Harrison said. "Us going in looking at it as us against the world, I think we're going to thrive."
But is it true? Is UK really so unlikable?
"I've honestly noticed that and felt like that since I first arrived here," sophomore forward Marcus Lee said, "that it's kind of us in this room against everybody else and you have to work and battle for each other."
-------------

I think Tommy should avoid social media, as I think most college athletes should . But, since he is going to be on it, folks really should probably avoid trying to dissect every fricken word and try to source it as the cause of the 5-7 season. It's not. Crappy defense was a big part. Turnovers were a big part. Buzzwords on Twitter had zilch to do with it.

ADVERTISEMENT