ADVERTISEMENT

"you build the culture first. The culture is the foundation." I don't normally

it's important to get the cali, texas, florida, new jersey players. also important to get the best in nebraska and surrounding areas.
Dr. Tom was a master at this
Dr. Tom was incredible at cherry picking the elite talent from the coasts and developing the local boys. When he wasn’t writing prescriptions to fight the flu at the local hospital, he was in the gym getting the team fired up.

Reactions: redwine65
it's important to get the cali, texas, florida, new jersey players. also important to get the best in nebraska and surrounding areas.
Exactly. Through the years Nebraska has had good players from nearly every state in the country who have busted their asses and helped the team win. I hope I'm never dipshitted enough to think I can look at a player's zip code and tell whether he has what it takes to succeed in college football.

How in the hell do you compare one of the greatest teams of all time with a 2014 Oregon team that didn’t even win the national championship? You know what 46 = ? 0 Titles. What a bone head. Also, 9 was enough. Get into trouble with double digit Californians on the roster. Glad we had enough home grown talent to drown it out.
You're making a lot of disclaimers after the fact. Your sole claim was that too many Californians equals too many pussies. You never put a number on that. And, again...that 1995 team had more Californians than did Riley's 2017 team.

I included 2014 Oregon because that was Oregon's best team that Frost was a part of....never mind the fact that Nebraska had way fewer Californians on the team that year than did Oregon, and was nowhere close to sniffing the National Championship game that season.

Lastly, USC has won 7 NCs (not counting 2004) since 1962. The thing all those teams had in common were rosters that was likely at least 85% Californians.

Last little, but unpleasant fact......Nebraska is 0-4-1 all-time against USC, and 7-6 against UCLA....not exactly dominating the pussies, are we.

Anything else you want to get triggered over?

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Couple thoughts:
We had plenty of close games that if tilted slightly the other way, drastically improve the perspective of “culture”.
But the losses aren’t only a reflection on culture and have been discussed at length on this board re: talent, depth, coaching, etc.

Getting more specific about what culture means, the weight room seems to be one of the leading indicators.
Work ethic off the field shows up with effort level on the field and ‘doing one’s job’.

I thought a very telling quote from Bill Moos when he took over was his atory about seeing the trashed plane/bus after the team got off it. He was beside himself that a Riley coached team would be able to leave trash everywhere w/o any concern.
There was a lot of symbolism in that for me hinting at a team that did not respect their team, university, or opportunity. There was a lack of care and lack of discipline.

I’m not trying to make it a bigger issue that it is, but it was a very specific glimpse into a team mentality that was broken.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The only thing I see in the last two years is the same crappy defense we have been playing for the last 10 years, maybe even worse.

We will not win games in the Big10 when we only hold teams under 30 points in 25% of the games. Maybe you can win with offense only in other conferences but not in this one. The defenses are too good, so if they are building something maybe they should start there
Ummm, we wont win many games when the offense scores under 30 pts. It wont matter how good your defense is unless you have that offensive compliment.
This year, we finished 72nd in scoring offense at 28 pts a game, last year 58th at 30 pts a game. Yet our defense this year finished 66th at 27.8 pts a game, and last year 88th at 31.3 pts a game with a better offense.
Over a fg less per game our defense improved, while our offense scored 2pts less.

To me perspective is everything, and certainly we need to improve on all sides, not just one.
Besides, several tds were from returns applied to our improvements, its like removing another point off those numbers per game.

Reactions: bshirt73
You're making a lot of disclaimers after the fact. Your sole claim was that too many Californians equals too many pussies. You never put a number on that. And, again...that 1995 team had more Californians than did Riley's 2017 team.

I included 2014 Oregon because that was Oregon's best team that Frost was a part of....never mind the fact that Nebraska had way fewer Californians on the team that year than did Oregon, and was nowhere close to sniffing the National Championship game that season.

Lastly, USC has won 7 NCs (not counting 2004) since 1962. The thing all those teams had in common were rosters that was likely at least 85% Californians.

Last little, but unpleasant fact......Nebraska is 0-4-1 all-time against USC, and 7-6 against UCLA....not exactly dominating the pussies, are we.

Anything else you want to get triggered over?
You have to remember that the coach is the biggest factor. Riley was a left coast pussy and Dr Tom was a solid man from the Heartland. Teams took on Riley’s “Let’s do yoga and mediditate” mindset while the 90’s teams had the “I am going to farm and then play football” mindset.

For F-sake can we stop with the excuses already? If culture was a true issue we’d have seen improvement. We haven’t seen improvement. Look at Matt Rhule. Look at Baylor. He came into a dumpster fire with a shamed program. Went 1-11 year 1. 7-6 year 2 (won their bowl game). 11-2 in year 3, top ten team, and in the Sugar bowl. You clearly see improvement and results there.
Rhule took over a program that had previously went 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, and 7-6. Frost took over a program that had went 9-4, 6-7, 9-4 and 4-8. Im not saying Frost is completely blameless. I agree, he is responsible for some of the losses. The shape of the program that each coach took over was not the same. Plus the fact that most of MR recruits bailed at the 1st sign of adversity. Leaving Frost with very little talent and the talent he did have, had been under developed by the previous staff. . Now I have no idea if Rhule had to deal with the same thing, maybe he did too.

You have to remember that the coach is the biggest factor. Riley was a left coast pussy and Dr Tom was a solid man from the Heartland. Teams took on Riley’s “Let’s do yoga and mediditate” mindset while the 90’s teams had the “I am going to farm and then play football” mindset.
But that was not your original argument. Your argument was that too many Californians equaled too many pussies....and you even applied it to Frost's teams.

It also doesn't explain how USC won 7 titles with mostly Californians....one of which was with Pete Carroll as coach (born in San Francisco, played at Pacific) who is still a surfer and Deadhead at age 68.

Reactions: 9and4
But that was not your original argument. Your argument was that too many Californians equaled too many pussies....and you even applied it to Frost's teams.

It also doesn't explain how USC won 7 titles with mostly Californians....one of which was with Pete Carroll as coach (born in San Francisco, played at Pacific) who is still a surfer and Deadhead at age 68.
Well if surfing and listening to jam bands and smoking weed is what you look up to, then count me out. Pete Carroll also cheated and had a title taken away you putz.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
You know this how?

Not trying to attack you here, but unless you are there, you don't know what is happening or what Frost is trying to do. You can't take Frost's coach speak literally.

Now it could be true, but we don't really know. He keeps playing starters that don't do their workouts, so apparently that part of the work ethic isn't enforced. (and we don't know that to be true either)

Assumptions shouldn't be made about this kind of thing imo
Which starters is he playing that don't do their workouts? I'm assuming you're talking about that pillar of inside info Chuck003's post about AM. It was pretty clear that some guys left because they landed down the depth chart exactly because they weren't putting the work in. I've seen zero credible reports that guys failing to do their workouts were still starting. None.

Well if surfing and listening to jam bands and smoking weed is what you look up to, then count me out. Pete Carroll also cheated and had a title taken away you putz.
I never said I looked up to him. I was illustrating that a so-called lefty can coach a team to a #1 ranking, which he did in 2003 (AP...and that one wasn't taken away).

But, if you don't want to count 2003, then fine, but that still leaves 6 USC national titles won with mostly California guys.

All I am doing is countering your argument....which was that too many Californians equaled trouble....and you've done nothing to refute anything I have said (USC---7 NCs with mostly Californians), so you start in on the insults. That's usually the last resort of someone that has no other facts to argue.

Why do you get so triggered?

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
I never said I looked up to him. I was illustrating that a so-called lefty can coach a team to a #1 ranking, which he did in 2003 (AP...and that one wasn't taken away).

All I am doing is countering your argument....which was that too many Californians equaled trouble....and you've done nothing to refute anything I have said (USC---7 NCs with mostly Californians), so you start in on the insults. That's usually the last resort of someone that has no other facts to argue.

Why do you get so triggered?
I know this will sound bad, but he’s triggered because he’s an Iowa troll. :)

Couple thoughts:
We had plenty of close games that if tilted slightly the other way, drastically improve the perspective of “culture”.
But the losses aren’t only a reflection on culture and have been discussed at length on this board re: talent, depth, coaching, etc.

Getting more specific about what culture means, the weight room seems to be one of the leading indicators.
Work ethic off the field shows up with effort level on the field and ‘doing one’s job’.

I thought a very telling quote from Bill Moos when he took over was his atory about seeing the trashed plane/bus after the team got off it. He was beside himself that a Riley coached team would be able to leave trash everywhere w/o any concern.
There was a lot of symbolism in that for me hinting at a team that did not respect their team, university, or opportunity. There was a lack of care and lack of discipline.

I’m not trying to make it a bigger issue that it is, but it was a very specific glimpse into a team mentality that was broken.
When our CULTURE gets to the point where a senior O linemen is telling a sophomore who gets called on "don't screw up" and when we've got junior and senior D linemen in the face of young players when they are half assing it, then I think the culture will be where we want it. This last season we had a senior transfer NT, freshman DuckR, and a freshman OLB trying to step in to those roles. When we've got juniors and seniors policing their peers it will be a much better situation.

Yeah because every kid who grows up in California automatically surfs and smokes weed. That’s almost as bad as someone reading your posts and assuming that everyone in Nebraska is a loudmouthed old crank who discovered how easy it is to git on that thar internet thingy and start hurling insults at people he doesn’t know.

Reactions: 9and4
3 of the 4 coaches (prior to Frost) who have taken over Mike Riley coached teams have either shown immediate improvement or continued to have high level success . After 2 years we are minus 6 in win totals versus Riley’s first 2 years.
Who? And when?

Anyone who doesn't think culture, buy-in, and camaraderie are huge elements to team success is wrong. Point blank.

Nebraska isn't fixed yet and the results show it. Other things show it, too - a sophomore being named a captain, a transfer who's been on campus a few months being named a captain, a senior WR tweeting about not talking to anyone since the season ended (Spielman) and a freshman reaching out to him (Houston) and it not being the other way around. People can say culture is an excuse, but everyone on this forum will know when the culture the coaches talk so much about is in place.

Pretty simple really...the best coaches change “culture” by the 2nd year. Most other coaches are seriously begging for their 3rd year if they haven’t changed the “culture” by their 2nd year.

People hurding cats, dogs marrying parrots and trolls trolling trolls. Did santa arrive waay early?

Yeah because every kid who grows up in California automatically surfs and smokes weed. That’s almost as bad as someone reading your posts and assuming that everyone in Nebraska is a loudmouthed old crank who discovered how easy it is to git on that thar internet thingy and start hurling insults at people he doesn’t know.
I kind of had him pegged as an old crank.

He did, however, try and tell me that he benches 450 lbs. I then attributed his anger to his likely steroid use, and his bitterness on its negative, "shrinking" effects on certain parts of the body.....

Yep, I knew this thread would get crapped on by the usual suspects. There can be no possible explanation other than the coaches suck. Culture? Not possible. Can only be the coaches.
Really that is your response ? - I have not posted on this board since early in the season however this excuse making has reached ridiculous levels to explain why we keep losing.

This program has had three straight losing seasons - Frost has turned over the roster if there is a culture issue its because of the actions of his staff. Any other excuse is simply that an excuse. I am still hopeful Frost can turn this around on the other hand I have no faith Chinander knows how to coach a defense. I hope Frost's love of this program and his desire to win overcomes his desire to be loyal to his staff. The defense is a mess and its not getting any better, unless the defense is fixed it does not matter what the offense does

Reactions: oldjar07
Really that is your response ? - I have not posted on this board since early in the season however this excuse making has reached ridiculous levels to explain why we keep losing.

This program has had three straight losing seasons - Frost has turned over the roster if there is a culture issue its because of the actions of his staff. Any other excuse is simply that an excuse. I am still hopeful Frost can turn this around on the other hand I have no faith Chinander knows how to coach a defense. I hope Frost's love of this program and his desire to win overcomes his desire to be loyal to his staff. The defense is a mess and its not getting any better, unless the defense is fixed it does not matter what the offense does
Here’s the deal. I don’t see how people can say the coaching sucks but I still think Frost can turn it around. That makes no sense to me. I know he can improve but if he sucks, don’t tell me he’s the guy.

So if I believe he’s the guy, I’m trying to figure out why things haven’t turned around yet. And I’m not of the opinion that he sucks. I do believe he’s made mistakes, and the culture has suffered because of things he has done as well. But the constant bitching about the coaches needs to stop too. At some point, get on or get off. I don’t care what you do. But any time someone shares an opinion about why we aren’t there yet gets shouted down by the same damn posters. Every single time.

You all get tired of the sunshine pumpers, well guess what? The doom and gloom posts get old as well. So my suggestion is if you see a thread that presents possible reasons for the poor play, don’t open it.

when I see threads that are doom and gloom, increasingly, I’m not opening those. It’s actually making me feel better.

And interestingly, the defense improved this year while the offense regressed... but I guess that’s also Chinander’s fault too, huh?

Last edited:
Here’s the deal. I don’t see how people can say the coaching sucks but I still think Frost can turn it around. That makes no sense to me. I know he can improve but if he sucks, don’t tell me he’s the guy.

So if I believe he’s the guy, I’m trying to figure out why things haven’t turned around yet. And I’m not of the opinion that he sucks. I do believe he’s made mistakes, and the culture has suffered because of things he has done as well. But the constant bitching about the coaches needs to stop too. At some point, get on or get off. I don’t care what you do. But any time someone shares an opinion about why we aren’t there yet gets shouted down by the same damn posters. Every single time.

You all get tired of the sunshine pumpers, well guess what? The doom and gloom era get old as well. So my suggestion is if you see a thread that presents possible reasons for the poor play, don’t open it.

when I see threads that are doom and gloom, increasingly, I’m not opening those. It’s actually making me feel better.

And interestingly, the defense improved this year while the offense regressed... but I guess that’s also Chinander’s fault too, huh?
Not everything is black and white. I think Frost has the potential to be a great coach and he has a great offensive mind. I believe bringing over a full staff of G5 level assistants was a huge mistake and believe the best course of action is to correct that mistake as soon as possible. Not everyone has the same black and white viewpoint you do. Just because I don't make every excuse in the book for poor performance doesn't mean I don't support the coaches. I do want to see them succeed and I think a few of them can be very successful here. However something's obviously not working and changes need to be made. Maybe some of the coaches that would be let go will end up having a lot of success in the future and that's ok. But right now I think we need something different. I think Frost can be very successful here, however I also don't think it's going to happen with the current coaching staff as it is.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Lets keep destroying the program, fire them all start over.
It seems when we started doing just that is when we started losing more, then more firings, more losses,stompngs,reduced talent, then more firings, more losses etc.

Thats stuck in the mud thinking

Not everything is black and white. I think Frost has the potential to be a great coach and he has a great offensive mind. I believe bringing over a full staff of G5 level assistants was a huge mistake and believe the best course of action is to correct that mistake as soon as possible. Not everyone has the same black and white viewpoint you do. Just because I don't make every excuse in the book for poor performance doesn't mean I don't support the coaches. I do want to see them succeed and I think a few of them can be very successful here. However something's obviously not working and changes need to be made. Maybe some of the coaches that would be let go will end up having a lot of success in the future and that's ok. But right now I think we need something different. I think Frost can be very successful here, however I also don't think it's going to happen with the current coaching staff as it is.
I don’t have a problem with this. This is a fair post.

I just get tired of people presenting potential problems that could be contributing to the struggles and having the same posters tell us why that can’t be true. That’s what I get tired of.

Dr. Tom lost 8 straight bowl games...Dr. Tom was on the hot seat....In 90,91,92 he had a very mediocre recruiting classes...barely top 25 in some cases. Four years later he had a dynasty. He hit the jackpot on nearly every top recruit during that time...kept them on the roster through incarcerations and mental health issues, and relied heavily on the best walk-on classes in the history of the game. In 97, 90% of his stud offense was from Nebraska. That was an anomaly, a good team exploding into a dynasty overnight, and then returning to the mean relatively quickly. Lets hope Frosty can do what Bo did but without what Bo did.

Lets keep destroying the program, fire them all start over.
It seems when we started doing just that is when we started losing more, then more firings, more losses,stompngs,reduced talent, then more firings, more losses etc.

Thats stuck in the mud thinking
How could we lose even more we have had 4 losing seasons out of the last 5. No one is saying fire them all. we are saying things need to change. Putting all your faith on some new recruit or some mythical change in culture is grasping at straws.

One thing I do agree with Timsun is that bitching continually is not helpful. That is the exact reason I do not post much anymore. I am hoping there is some positives in the future but right now you have to search really hard to find a silver lining

Anyone who doesn't think culture, buy-in, and camaraderie are huge elements to team success is wrong. Point blank.

Nebraska isn't fixed yet and the results show it. Other things show it, too - a sophomore being named a captain, a transfer who's been on campus a few months being named a captain, a senior WR tweeting about not talking to anyone since the season ended (Spielman) and a freshman reaching out to him (Houston) and it not being the other way around. People can say culture is an excuse, but everyone on this forum will know when the culture the coaches talk so much about is in place.
Wandale's class and maybe a few from AM's class are the answer to the "culture" problem IMO. Those kids who have known nothing but Frost and his staff are only going to know one way. JMHO. Couple that with the way we have recruited these past 2 cycles and I think Frost is well on the way to fixing the mess that has been Husker football for the past 2 decades. And yes, even with Pelini's W/L record we were still a mess.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I remember watching LSU’s defense huddle up on sideline up like 48-7 on OU, and It seemed like a group meeting reminding them all to stay focused and finish the job. Up 40 points. Those dudes just know how to win

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I liked your post, BUT I don't fault Frost for bringing in those assistants. IMO, he didn't want to have to teach new staff new systems AND he wanted guys he knew could recruit and perform the essential tasks. Coaching is coaching whether it's P5 or not and these guys have recruited very well at a P5 level. I know some people are down on Chinander but I think he can get it done. IF not, Frost will be forced to make a change. Frost isn't an idiot. He's played and coached for some of the best coaches in America and loyalty to a friend isn't going to make him usurp his loyalty to NU.

Geesh, I'd say our offense desperately needs improvement at least as much as our defense. Throwing a zillion horizontal passes (that go nowhere......with our OLine for 2/3 of last year what else could we do?) & endless 3 & outs usually doesn't help getting a lot of wins.

Also, I'd say our special teams were way, wayyyyy worse than our offense or defense.

I still think HCSF will get there but it'll take some time is my guess.

Dr. Tom lost 8 straight bowl games...Dr. Tom was on the hot seat....In 90,91,92 he had a very mediocre recruiting classes...barely top 25 in some cases. Four years later he had a dynasty. He hit the jackpot on nearly every top recruit during that time...kept them on the roster through incarcerations and mental health issues, and relied heavily on the best walk-on classes in the history of the game. In 97, 90% of his stud offense was from Nebraska. That was an anomaly, a good team exploding into a dynasty overnight, and then returning to the mean relatively quickly. Lets hope Frosty can do what Bo did but without what Bo did.

Lol! Well stated sir!

Wandale's class and maybe a few from AM's class are the answer to the "culture" problem IMO. Those kids who have known nothing but Frost and his staff are only going to know one way. JMHO. Couple that with the way we have recruited these past 2 cycles and I think Frost is well on the way to fixing the mess that has been Husker football for the past 2 decades. And yes, even with Pelini's W/L record we were still a mess.

Well partner, winning 9 or 10 games a year isn't heaven (TO & Bo cranked out endlessly) but it's a LOT better than losing games everywhere.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
ADVERTISEMENT