ADVERTISEMENT

"you build the culture first. The culture is the foundation." I don't normally

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
agree with much of anything I hear come out of Cowherd's mouth but I agree whole heartedly with this quote from him and Doug Gottlieb this morning. The subject came up while they were talking about the Patriots this morning. They used Wisconsin and Alvarez as a college example of a new coach taking over and building a program. What Frost is trying to do at Nebraska is to develop that Nebraska work ethic team first "culture" that we've lacked from many of our players for a long time. IMO, he and we're getting there. It isn't just option or smash mouth football. It's the attitude that it takes to do the work the right way with enough effort to be successful. GBR.

agree with much of anything I hear come out of Cowherd's mouth but I agree whole heartedly with this quote from him and Doug Gottlieb this morning. The subject came up while they were talking about the Patriots this morning. They used Wisconsin and Alvarez as a college example of a new coach taking over and building a program. What Frost is trying to do at Nebraska is to develop that Nebraska work ethic team first "culture" that we've lacked from many of our players for a long time. IMO, he and we're getting there. It isn't just option or smash mouth football. It's the attitude that it takes to do the work the right way with enough effort to be successful. GBR.
I agree. And building that culture takes a while. We will see the beginnings of that improvement next year.

Wide outs block some, but finding unsung heroes during TO's days, I always started there.
The culture ran deep in our wrs. It's also why some aren't playing.

I agree. And building that culture takes a while. We will see the beginnings of that improvement next year.
I was listening to an interview Benning did with a sport physiologist awhile back. He said it take a full 3 years for a new coach to flip a teams mentality good or bad. The Nebraska players under MR had a losers, weak minded, I quit mentality. Which if true and it takes a full 3 years, that pretty well mean it is impossible to flip a mind set of a team, with old coach players. It takes the new coach to have most of the team their players. At least the majority of those players contributing meaningful playing time.
I see some saying things like, "well 75% of the team are Frost guys and we still suck, so that mean Frost sucks" While mostly true. As of this year we had, from my calculation about 30% of starters are Frost guys. 39% of 2nd string are Frosts guys. or 34% of the 1 and 2 deep are Frosts guys. I think we need to see that number get to 75% before we see a true shift and change in culture, or before we can claim with certainty that Frost "sucks" or not.
I also think that is why we saw the wheels completely fall of year 3 under MR, his culture was firmly established, by the end of it.

I was listening to an interview Benning did with a sport physiologist awhile back. He said it take a full 3 years for a new coach to flip a teams mentality good or bad. The Nebraska players under MR had a losers, weak minded, I quit mentality. Which if true and it takes a full 3 years, that pretty well mean it is impossible to flip a mind set of a team, with old coach players. It takes the new coach to have most of the team their players. At least the majority of those players contributing meaningful playing time.
I see some saying things like, "well 75% of the team are Frost guys and we still suck, so that mean Frost sucks" While mostly true. As of this year we had, from my calculation about 30% of starters are Frost guys. 39% of 2nd string are Frosts guys. or 34% of the 1 and 2 deep are Frosts guys. I think we need to see that number get to 75% before we see a true shift and change in culture, or before we can claim with certainty that Frost "sucks" or not.
I also think that is why we saw the wheels completely fall of year 3 under MR, his culture was firmly established, by the end of it.
Alot of wisdom in this.
I also think winning and winning attitudes are contagious, so, to a point, it will have effects of non SF players, and being a part of this new mindset, and their playing time is short, coild lift some of those players to a flourish, finally remembering how much fun the game can be again.

3 of the 4 coaches (prior to Frost) who have taken over Mike Riley coached teams have either shown immediate improvement or continued to have high level success . After 2 years we are minus 6 in win totals versus Riley’s first 2 years.

Last edited:
Not going to disagree here but I'll play devil's advocate.

We all saw how players on both sides of the ball quit in 2007. They didnt do that in 2008 and it was pretty much the same players. Is it possible that performance has more to do with confidence in leadership than personal mentality? Heck, you could probably say that the 2002 team basically quit but then reversed course in 2003.

JMO, but I think that the whole "culture" narrative is a little bit overplayed and is used more as an excuse than as an actual rationale.

Not going to disagree here but I'll play devil's advocate.

We all saw how players on both sides of the ball quit in 2007. They didnt do that in 2008 and it was pretty much the same players. Is it possible that performance has more to do with confidence in leadership than personal mentality? Heck, you could probably say that the 2002 team basically quit but then reversed course in 2003.

JMO, but I think that the whole "culture" narrative is a little bit overplayed and is used more as an excuse than as an actual rationale.
I'd agree. The Wisconsin thing is a prime example. What Alvarez inherited there was far worse than what Frost inherited at Nebraska, by any measure.

Reactions: spinner4
3 of the 4 coaches (prior to Frost) who have taken over Mike Riley coached teams have either shown immediate improvement or continued to have high level success . After 2 years we are minus 6 in win totals versus Riley’s first 2 years.
Not sure you can go back 30+ years of coaching and get a true sense, as coaches can change for the better or worse. Just using his last stint at Oregon and here.
His final 3 years at Oregon St he went 9-4, 7-6 and 5-7. His predecessor went 2-10 and 4-8. At Nebraska he went 6-7,9-4, 4-8. Frost has went 4-8, and 5-7. Now if Anderson had went into Oregon st and maintained or improved them within 2 years you would have an argument. This year, Oregon St went 5-7 and maybe look to be finally digging out from MR.

Reactions: dinglefritz
"continued high level success"???? You better show me which team Riley coached ever had "high level success". There was a coach who took over for Riley that went heavy on JUCOs and hit pretty well with them. Nobody has "continued to have high level success" following Riley. Dennis Erickson did well before bailing out what 25 years ago? There were some circumstances this year IMO that taint the results. Losing your top 2 QBs to injuries for a third of the season mattered the most IMO. Losing your best returning starter safety to injury IMO also mattered. I think those 2 things probably cost us some Ws. It's tough to compare guys who followed Riley several decades ago to what's going on now in college football don't you think.

"continued high level success"???? You better show me which team Riley coached ever had "high level success". ere was a coach who took over for Riley that went heavy on JUCOs and hit pretty well with them. Nobody has "continued to have high level success" following Riley. Dennis Erickson did well before bailing out what 25 years ago? There were some circumstances this year IMO that taint the results. Losing your top 2 QBs to injuries for a third of the season mattered the most IMO. Losing your best returning starter safety to injury IMO also mattered. I think those 2 things probably cost us some Ws. It's tough to compare guys who followed Riley several decades ago to what's going on now in college football don't you think.

Ahhh yes .... I forgot about the mighty equalizer .... “circumstances”

teams with losing records seem to always rationalize by citing “circumstances”

"continued high level success"???? You better show me which team Riley coached ever had "high level success".

his team won a grey cup ... that was the highest level of success attainable for that team

Injuries are a fact of football. We also lost our starting RB to insanity and our only really dynamic offensive threat in Wandale for a couple of games. The fact is that we had significant injuries at the QB position. Not many D-1 teams can overcome that. You choose to ignore the facts. I do not.

So was the 2019 season the one that Frost’s culture started paying dividends at UCF?

Culture is only supported by success. Our culture is bad because we have lost games...if we won 7 close games instead of losing 7 everybody would be talking about the culture and how great it is. College football, despite our best hopes, is a completely corrupt sport. The positives of football can be gained by playing for a Division III religious school...we don't care about that school...we care that our favorite school is the best amatuer football team on the planet. Building a culture that is based on good works, integrity, and honesty is counter-productive to having the best team in the world. T.O is a man who stayed decent himself why allowing his most talented players to cause people a lot of pain. That was the sacrifice he was willing to make to have a winning culture...but always remember that a winning culture doesn't start with culture but winning.

I’m sooo ready for another few years to be behind us so we can quit psychoanalyzing the Frost experiment. By then, we will know if it has worked or not and can either be watching a bowl game or suggesting names for the next one up.

his team won a grey cup ... that was the highest level of success attainable for that team
Haha i have seen some off the wall post on here but this has to be one of the dumbest. Not sure if this post os ignorance or stupidity. Either way wow

What Frost is trying to do at Nebraska is to develop that Nebraska work ethic team first "culture" that we've lacked from many of our players for a long time. IMO, he and we're getting there. It isn't just option or smash mouth football. It's the attitude that it takes to do the work the right way with enough effort to be successful. GBR.
You know this how?

Not trying to attack you here, but unless you are there, you don't know what is happening or what Frost is trying to do. You can't take Frost's coach speak literally.

Now it could be true, but we don't really know. He keeps playing starters that don't do their workouts, so apparently that part of the work ethic isn't enforced. (and we don't know that to be true either)

Assumptions shouldn't be made about this kind of thing imo

Reactions: skintight
"continued high level success"???? You better show me which team Riley coached ever had "high level success". There was a coach who took over for Riley that went heavy on JUCOs and hit pretty well with them. Nobody has "continued to have high level success" following Riley. Dennis Erickson did well before bailing out what 25 years ago? There were some circumstances this year IMO that taint the results. Losing your top 2 QBs to injuries for a third of the season mattered the most IMO. Losing your best returning starter safety to injury IMO also mattered. I think those 2 things probably cost us some Ws. It's tough to compare guys who followed Riley several decades ago to what's going on now in college football don't you think.
Don’t forget the injury to Pickering. That was huge

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wide outs block some, but finding unsung heroes during TO's days, I always started there.
The culture ran deep in our wrs. It's also why some aren't playing.

There is also the fact the most of our receivers last year were too young or too small.

The only thing I see in the last two years is the same crappy defense we have been playing for the last 10 years, maybe even worse.

We will not win games in the Big10 when we only hold teams under 30 points in 25% of the games. Maybe you can win with offense only in other conferences but not in this one. The defenses are too good, so if they are building something maybe they should start there

Reactions: skintight
I think culture is one of those copout phrases used to excuse poor performance. You ever notice how a team has a good season and all of a sudden they have great culture? A lot of teams don't need 3 (4?, 5?) years before they start winning. They're able to install their system and they start winning. Why are some teams able to install their culture right away but for us it takes 5 years? Sounds like a crock of shit to me.

Of course you have to factor in circumstances. Circumstances play a major factor not only in football but in life. Not using context or circumstances is what Iowa does.

Reactions: timnsun
I think culture is one of those copout phrases used to excuse poor performance. You ever notice how a team has a good season and all of a sudden they have great culture? A lot of teams don't need 3 (4?, 5?) years before they start winning. They're able to install their system and they start winning. Why are some teams able to install their culture right away but for us it takes 5 years? Sounds like a crock of shit to me.
I go back and forth on this. Yes there are coaches who come in and have success year 1 or year 2, but not many. Not every team, player, university, staff, fans, coaches, previous coaches, mindset are the same. Every situation is different. Look at Saban when he first broke into coaching with Mich St. His first 4 years were very unimpressive. Took 5 years to get results. If he had been here, I doubt he would have seen his 5th year. Im not saying Frost will or won't be the next Saban, I just think 2 years in is way to soon to say one way or the other.
I will add to this, that if you look at history and past coaches who have found success. On average if they haven't won a conf championship by year 4 they usually never will and the odds to win a NC drop to almost zero. This is with one program. They may leave and have more success elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don’t want any more pussies on this team. Far too many Californians for my taste. Glad Frost is getting players from Florida and the SE instead of California like Riley.

I really can not wait for the QB competition this fall and there will be one.

Reactions: husker2612
I don’t want any more pussies on this team. Far too many Californians for my taste. Glad Frost is getting players from Florida and the SE instead of California like Riley.

Agree, Californias just have a different mindset from the rest of the country.
As far as QB compatition, I hope frost isn't stubborn and has a legit comp. IMO it seemed the players responded more to Mccaffrey when he was in there. He seems like more of a natural born leader than Martinez.

For F-sake can we stop with the excuses already? If culture was a true issue we’d have seen improvement. We haven’t seen improvement. Look at Matt Rhule. Look at Baylor. He came into a dumpster fire with a shamed program. Went 1-11 year 1. 7-6 year 2 (won their bowl game). 11-2 in year 3, top ten team, and in the Sugar bowl. You clearly see improvement and results there.

Or LSU with Coach O.

Yes injuries sucked. But wasn’t Zach’s strength and conditioning program suppose to work miracles on that front? WTF happened to that? Yes we lacked the talent to play with tOSU. Yes we had depth issues. But there is no excuse for losing to Purdue or Indiana. No excuse for going 2-6 in the last 8.
Let’s stop making dam excuses for two garbage seasons under Frost and let’s just forget the dam past for a second and focus on the future. Frost F’d up these first 2 seasons. Enough to cost us a bowl game.Let’s move past it.

Let’s hope everyone is healthy. Cause if we are featuring Brandon Belt again at this years spring game we are in for some more crap. Championship are won in the off-season, and if half the dam team isn’t practing in the spring we are in danger in 2020. Let’s not act like that’s not a big deal. Cause it most certainly is especially when we lost out on a couple of weeks of practice due to no bowl game.

talk about “culture” all you want. But “you play to win the game” regardless of the dam culture

Oh please. It is just about the ONLY thing a Riley coached team ever won.

yes .. exactly. He is a terrible coach ... it shouldn't take that much to show improvement

I would be interested to see a list of coaches who took over a 4 win or fewer program and did not show improvement within their conference in their first 2 years

we finished lower in the division in year 2 than year 1 . --- 6th of 7 -- the lowest we have ever finished since joining the conference

lots of growth needed

Last edited:
So you're comparing the CFL 30 years ago to Husker football today? That' makes sense. :rolleyes: How long did the dynasty that Riley built in the CFL last exactly?

you cited Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin in your original post FFS ???

do you care to do the math of how many years ago it was when Alvarez was hired at Wisconsin?

# of Californians on the roster:
1995 Nebraska (12-0, National Champions)- 9
2014 Oregon (13-2, #2 in AP and Coaches)- 46
2017 Nebraska (5-7)- 7

I don't think merely being from California is the problem.

2017 Nebraska (5-7)- 7

Imagine what the 1995 team could have accomplished without all them thar pussies on the roster!

the main problem was located in the powers that be in the city of lincoln nebraska. cases in point,
the year bo was hired, we could of hired urban myer....
think about that...
the year mike riley was hired, we could have hired lsu's coach ed
think about that....
then we have bo, riley and frost, telling joe burrow "we got better"
think about that....
so what we hope more than anything is that the powers that be, think...

Imagine what the 1995 team could have accomplished without all them thar pussies on the roster!
That 2014 Duck team that we all gushed over.....I kind of wonder where Bert thinks they got all their speed from.....

Plus, imagine what those USC teams in the early 2000s could have done without all of those pussies.....

2017 Nebraska (5-7)- 7

How in the hell do you compare one of the greatest teams of all time with a 2014 Oregon team that didn’t even win the national championship? You know what 46 = ? 0 Titles. What a bone head. Also, 9 was enough. Get into trouble with double digit Californians on the roster. Glad we had enough home grown talent to drown it out.

That 2014 Duck team that we all gushed over.....I kind of wonder where Bert thinks they got all their speed from.....

Plus, imagine what those USC teams in the early 2000s could have done without all of those pussies.....
it's important to get the cali, texas, florida, new jersey players. also important to get the best in nebraska and surrounding areas.
Dr. Tom was a master at this

ADVERTISEMENT