ADVERTISEMENT

You are the AD, what is your POV on the football coach situation

What do YOU do regarding the coaching situation?

• The results are already in and it is time to remove Riley mid-season

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Barring a miraculous run of improbable wins, I will let Riley go at the end of the season

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • If the team manages to get to .500 (6-6), and shows sign of improvement, I retain Riley and staff

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Regardless how the team finishes the season, I want to give Riley another year

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
There are a lot of opinions around. Social media has seemingly given a voice to every Tom, Dick and Harry to think their opinion is now worthy these days, so I'll put you in the hypothetical role of Athletic Director. Knowing what you know TODAY:
  • Nebraska is 3-3 for the season, 2-1 in conference
  • Recruiting seems to be on the rise, but results aren't complete
  • Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State are certainly a cut about your program today
  • You are ultimately responsible for making sure the program catches up and doesn't fall further behind
What do YOU do regarding the coaching situation?

If I'm the new AD and I'm on the job right now.

1. I develop my short list. Try to find out who is interested. I try not to lock into any one person. I also put out the feelers to find out where we stand with them.

2. I measure the support for financial resources with Green and Bounds. I want to have a budget of 6 million for head coach and similar funds for present day assistants.

3. I continue to Monitor the W/L and the body of works on the field.

4. I monitor recruiting and see what effects the W/L record and play is having on the present commitments.

Assuming we lose to Ohio State giving us 4 losses I monitor for any single loss to Purdue, Northwestern or Minnesota. Penn State is pretty much a given. If we lose any of those I sit down with Mike Riley and offer him a chance to retire at full contract payout.

So while all the loud voices are screaming for Riley's ouster, this small and unofficial poll suggests a record of 6-6 would deserve another year.

I keep my ears to the ground because if anyone in the SEC moves on Frost, I move immediately. I don't want to have to hire Frost from a big time program when I could have done it while he was at UCF. If there are no signs, which would surprise me, if Riley gets to 7 or 8 wins and can retain the class while adding Parsons, I'll wait a year.

Get Frost in here before Saturday. Give him until end of 2019 to win a conference title. If not, move to the next guy. Keep doing it until you find the right guy.

How about this:

Things look pretty poor right now; how about I wait until the end of the season and if things turn around I might stick with Mike. Either way, we are going to keep our options open until the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Reactions: headcard
Get Frost in here before Saturday. Give him until end of 2019 to win a conference title. If not, move to the next guy. Keep doing it until you find the right guy.

It looked like Pelini was still coaching us last Saturday.

I voted 6-6 but in reality I think the number is 7 wins. Gonna be tough for him to keep his job if he doesn't win 7 IMO but I think it's very possible to do that.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I give him the option to retire at the end of the season. I start looking for a replacement now though.

Reactions: Chuck003
I give him the option to retire at the end of the season. I start looking for a replacement now though.
Fully agree. Let him retire with dignity at the end of the year. However, by halftime on Saturday, I might change my timetable.

Midseason will do nothing to improve your season so I don't understand why that is even considered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT