ADVERTISEMENT

YOU are hired to be a HC

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
at ANY university (D 1 through 3). What offense style do you implement?!

What program would you emulate, who do call for helpful insight?

I want the smash mouth, nasty streak running game that pounds you into submission. My O-Line will more personal fouls for playing beyond the whistle than the league combined. I want to keep D coordinators awake at night figuring out how to stop the steam roller. I don't believe in read option offense or sling it all over the field. I believe in nasty attitude, take no prisoners walk all over you results.

I would call Barry Alvarez first, then Urban Meyer. I would talk to Craig Bohls as well.

T.O's offense, specifically the '97 version. A strong running game that's also imaginative will get you a lot of wins.

I want the smash mouth, nasty streak running game that pounds you into submission. My O-Line will more personal fouls for playing beyond the whistle than the league combined. I want to keep D coordinators awake at night figuring out how to stop the steam roller. I don't believe in read option offense or sling it all over the field. I believe in nasty attitude, take no prisoners walk all over you results.

I would call Barry Alvarez first, then Urban Meyer. I would talk to Craig Bohls as well.
You dont believe in read option but you want to call Urban?

Power spread. Because I don't know how to mix in option behind power run out of the I. Nobody but Tom knew how so don't go looking for someone that can either

Call me crazy but I think with what is here in the roster right now, a transition to what Bohl likes to do might be a somewhat easy transition. Easy as in about as easy as one can be when you change coaches.

The first thing to look for is a head coach that gets the most of his players, play hard, solid football. Scheme comes after that. Schemes are useless if the coaching sucks.

Reactions: Minn1954
For Nebraska to get back to the the conference title race, they need to do something that is different than the rest of the conference. Something that is a ^&*( to prep for in one week.

That difference, IMO, is the Frost offense. Nobody in the conference runs the offense that Frost does. Ohio State is the closest to it. PSU runs a pro style rushing attack with their spread and that is nothing like Frost does.

Frost runs all of the various options out of the shotgun to go along with all of the PO's and quick screens. A lot of vertical seam passes that forces a defense to keep their safety back.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
For Nebraska to get back to the the conference title race, they need to do something that is different than the rest of the conference. Something that is a ^&*( to prep for in one week.

That difference, IMO, is the Frost offense. Nobody in the conference runs the offense that Frost does. Ohio State is the closest to it. PSU runs a pro style rushing attack with their spread and that is nothing like Frost does.

Frost runs all of the various options out of the shotgun to go along with all of the PO's and quick screens. A lot of vertical seam passes that forces a defense to keep their safety back.

NOT talking NU... How wold YOU build a program and who would you get insights from?

Copy Alvarez, Ferentz, Carr, Tressell, and Dantonio, who's programs are built on a foundation of toughness and making the opponent have to beat you.

Win the LOS -- that means establishing an identity of running the ball, and I'm not talking about shotgun/spread/read option nonsense. I'm talking fullback and TEs.

Everyone wants to run the ball, but the great teams make it their identity. They pound and pound until they start busting off huge gains in the 4th quarter when the opposition wears down. It also means fewer turnovers. When you're throwing the ball around 25-30 times/game, it's a hell of a lot less risky.

Win TOP- this all goes back to winning the LOS and having toughness. It slowly chokes the opposition out. Their defense is exhausted. You're winning field position. Hell, it makes your own defense look great. Wisconsin had a top 5 defense nationally a few years ago not because they were anything special, but because they were rarely on the field and simply played fundamentally sound.

In summary, the offense should be tough-minded, that can pound the ball between the tackles, frequently targets TEs in the passing game, and takes multiple deep shots over the top of the defense. Paul Chryst may be the greatest offensive mind in football. He was Wisconsin's OC in 2011 and that was arguably the greatest offense in college football history.

1. Craig Bohl
2. Jim Tressel
3. Who else is out there that embodies this style of play?

Reactions: HuskerOH
ADVERTISEMENT