ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another BBall BOOM

Samari reminds me of Rip Hamilton-- smart, lots of motor, happy with the midrange but can hit anywhere.

If anyone had said six months ago that we may be a national power in bb before football, that person would have been judged insane.

I find it amazing that Nebraska pessimists once thought you couldn't ever recruit basketball players to Nebraska. Hoiberg has blown that old myth to pieces! All along you just needed a star coach to go along with those superb facilities and that outstanding fan support. The missing piece has been put in place.

Thank god we found the one star coach who would take the job and finally have people in charge willing to pay for a star coach.

So this to me says Roby is gone. But what about the 7 footer we are in contact with? Kid that decommitted from Wake? If we take him do we send Thor packing?

would Roby even start?

couldn't be more excited about all things nebrasketball!!!!!!!!

I find it amazing that Nebraska pessimists once thought you couldn't ever recruit basketball players to Nebraska. Hoiberg has blown that old myth to pieces! All along you just needed a star coach to go along with those superb facilities and that outstanding fan support. The missing piece has been put in place.

HMMM, kinda sounds like the group saying that kids don't want to play baseball here.

I know Roby has till the 29 of this month to decide, but if he was invited to the draft was wondering why he hasn’t announced that he is forgoing his senior season at Nebraska?

My point exactly.
You never heard that once from Miles. Other people made that excuse. Hoiberg and his staff are proving that you can get more talent to NU. I think where Miles fell down was maybe partly the evaluation part and then getting enough guys to NU. It also didn't help that his AD for several years didn't want JUCOs.

I know Roby has till the 29 of this month to decide, but if he was invited to the draft was wondering why he hasn’t announced that he is forgoing his senior season at Nebraska?
Roby is smart to get as many NBA scouts to look at him as possible, even if he's leaning toward coming back. It's not like Roby and Hoiberg can't have private conversations about what Roby is likely to do.

If the projections for Roby remain mid-to-late second round, I think he will return. But if he goes, best of luck to him. The real excitement for Nebraska basketball is what's beyond 2019-20 anyway.

Reactions: scarletred
Roby is smart to get as many NBA scouts to look at him as possible, even if he's leaning toward coming back. It's not like Roby and Hoiberg can't have private conversations about what Roby is likely to do.

If the projections for Roby remain mid-to-late second round, I think he will return. But if he goes, best of luck to him. The real excitement for Nebraska basketball is what's beyond 2019-20 anyway.

CBS sports have Roby 41st pick in the draft prospect rankings..

would Roby even start?

couldn't be more excited about all things nebrasketball!!!!!!!!
Yes a late 1st/early 2nd round draft pick would start. Roby would still be the man if he came back IMO. To bad we will never find out who was right and who was wrong...

I think he meant that he was invited to the draft combine. If he wants to attend the draft, Roby would have to sit in the stands with the common folk.

Here is my early projection for how the team shakes down, without Roby:
PG: Cam Mack, 6'2"
SG: Dachon Burke, 6'4"
SG: Jervay Green, 6'3"
F: Shamiel Stephenson, 6'6"
F: Yvan Ouedraogo, 6'9"

Cheatham, Cross, Curtis, and Kavas in the rotation.

Mack, Burke, and Green get heavy minutes. The other 6 splitting time.

Arop, Thor used minimally.

If Roby stays, this could be an NCAA Tourney team. If he does not, we will score alot but won't be able to stop others from scoring well enough to be in the top half of the Big 10. Even so, it is just a start with a promising trajectory.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Here is my early projection for how the team shakes down, without Roby:
PG: Cam Mack, 6'2"
SG: Dachon Burke, 6'4"
SG: Jervay Green, 6'3"
F: Shamiel Stephenson, 6'6"
F: Yvan Ouedraogo, 6'9"

Cheatham, Cross, Curtis, and Kavas in the rotation.

Mack, Burke, and Green get heavy minutes. The other 6 splitting time.

Arop, Thor used minimally.

If Roby stays, this could be an NCAA Tourney team. If he does not, we will score alot but won't be able to stop others from scoring well enough to be in the top half of the Big 10. Even so, it is just a start with a promising trajectory.

Roby: zero-time all-conference player but also missing link to tourney team?

not sure about that. guy's got all the talent in the world but has yet to put it together. maybe he will at the next level, but I'm ready to move on and start fresh with guys who can actually play.

Exactly, Hoiberg has been coaching Roby up for the draft and knows as much as Roby about his chances of returning - which at this point look slim.

not sure about that. guy's got all the talent in the world but has yet to put it together. maybe he will at the next level, but I'm ready to move on and start fresh with guys who can actually play.

We have seen enough evidence that Roby CAN BE an all-conference player. Unfortunately, that happened too few times this past season. He wouldn't be a projected draft pick if he didn't have the skills/potential. Roby - with the fresh roster - could result in being a tournament team in year 1.

We have seen enough evidence that Roby CAN BE an all-conference player. Unfortunately, that happened too few times this past season. He wouldn't be a projected draft pick if he didn't have the skills/potential. Roby - with the fresh roster - could result in being a tournament team in year 1.
I would not be surpised to see some GM fall in love with his potential and take him a little earlier than the projections. The guy just tantalizes you with a game here or there or half of play here and there. IF he gets drafted on the skills he has shown at times and his physical talent, he could sneak in to the first round. His inconsistency was a killer. I still think his primary issue was between his ears. I watch some of the guys in the NBA's conference finals and think man Roby could do that at times. Roby could be that guy...at times. We'll see. I'm a huge Roby fan and will be rooting for him to do well. I hope he lands on a good team.

I would not be surpised to see some GM fall in love with his potential and take him a little earlier than the projections. The guy just tantalizes you with a game here or there or half of play here and there. IF he gets drafted on the skills he has shown at times and his physical talent, he could sneak in to the first round. His inconsistency was a killer. I still think his primary issue was between his ears. I watch some of the guys in the NBA's conference finals and think man Roby could do that at times. Roby could be that guy...at times. We'll see. I'm a huge Roby fan and will be rooting for him to do well. I hope he lands on a good team.
No way in hell, he's a first rounder..

Explain to me how you can say this when damn near every mock draft has him at 25-41... IMO you could say he may be picked early in the 2nd round at worst. Some folks say depending on his combine results he may be a lottery pick.

Sorry... don't hate to hate

From what I've heard Isaiah feels if he can just focus on basketball he can fulfill that potential we are all talking about. When he focused on bball at UNL he dominated. Minnesota his sophomore year and Butler this year come to mind. Problem was he would get so focused his grades would slip then he would go and focus on school and he would disappear.

Reactions: dinglefritz
From what I've heard Isaiah feels if he can just focus on basketball he can fulfill that potential we are all talking about. When he focused on bball at UNL he dominated. Minnesota his sophomore year and Butler this year come to mind. Problem was he would get so focused his grades would slip then he would go and focus on school and he would disappear.
Leaning against a guy who outweighs you by 50 pounds can also take a toll on a player's game, and that happened to Roby a lot. There was also the foul trouble, which limited his playing time and ability to take the ball to the rim. Some of that is on Roby, of course, because he committed some dumb fouls. But playing out of position is difficult.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Leaning against a guy who outweighs you by 50 pounds can also take a toll on a player's game, and that happened to Roby a lot. There was also the foul trouble, which limited his playing time and ability to take the ball to the rim. Some of that is on Roby, of course, because he committed some dumb fouls. But playing out of position is difficult.
True he also hated playing the 5. When Cope went down it actually helped him because he slid down to the 4 and Tanner played the 5.

When he had to play the 5, out of position, I don't think he got much help from the rest of the team. For as long as everyone was, not very many on the roster were more than average as a defensive player. Seems like we got a lot of blocks, but most of those were from behind after getting beat. Couldn't consistently play defense for the entire shot clock.

A possible NBA 1st round draft pick with three years' experience vs. a choice of two freshmen, one of whom is a very young freshman, to patrol the lane = the difference between a win total in the 20s and a win total in the teens.

We won't know for sure until the draft is over. He could slip totally out and not get drafted. If you're not a lottery pick, you don't know what the GMs are going to do. All it takes is one guy to like you. Likewise all it takes is one rumor or criticism that everybody latches on to and you don't even get drafted. The NBA draft is way different than the NFL draft. He was impressive a the combine and he interviews well.

A possible NBA 1st round draft pick with three years' experience vs. a choice of two freshmen, one of whom is a very young freshman, to patrol the lane = the difference between a win total in the 20s and a win total in the teens.

Love how 'possible 1st round pick' somehow outweighs his 11.8ppg, 6.9 reb/game averages in his best season, when he was touted as a possible 1st round pick.

I wish the guy luck, he was fun to watch for about 15 minutes before fouling out, but get real fellas. He just wasn't an impact player for us & had all the chances in the world to do it. Too focused on school?! Give me a break. It's time to move on.

Explain to me how you can say this when damn near every mock draft has him at 25-41... IMO you could say he may be picked early in the 2nd round at worst. Some folks say depending on his combine results he may be a lottery pick.

Sorry... don't hate to hate[/QUOTE
Love how 'possible 1st round pick' somehow outweighs his 11.8ppg, 6.9 reb/game averages in his best season, when he was touted as a possible 1st round pick.

I wish the guy luck, he was fun to watch for about 15 minutes before fouling out, but get real fellas. He just wasn't an impact player for us & had all the chances in the world to do it. Too focused on school?! Give me a break. It's time to move on.
Agree 100%. I wish him all the best at the next level..

Reactions: Top_Gun_

12 points and 7 rebounds a game is bad? Think you know more than NBA scouts? A team that lacks any experience among its bigs would not greatly benefit from a guy who is good enough for the NBA? Okay...

12 points and 7 rebounds a game is bad? Think you know more than NBA scouts? A team that lacks any experience among its bigs would not greatly benefit from a guy who is good enough for the NBA? Okay...

when you're the best player on the team and soon to be 1 of 60 guys taken in the draft? yea, 12/7 in 31 minutes is bad.

being drafted has nothing to do with winning in college and everything to do with measurables/potential, which Roby has in spades.

I don't think having anyone from the previous administration/culture would be good for the new guys. It's their team now, and I can't wait to see it!

I agree Roby never fulfilled his potential, but you're blind if you don't see that there IS potential for more. If he comes back and does the same thing he's always done, I'm not excited. I don't think that would happen, and if you spent last season moaning about Miles' offense I'd think you'd want to see Roby play under Hoiberg.

Ultimately who cares? It's obvious Hoiberg's tenure isn't going to hinge on whether Roby plays one more season. It's more like it'd be interesting to find out what he could do under a coach who knows offense.

Reactions: artguy68
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT