ADVERTISEMENT

YES or NO......and WHY?

Paisios

Aug 28, 2021
If Scott Frost had a Top QB would his teams still be this bad.....YES or NO? If you answer NO then it's all about the QB and not his coaching ability.

In all this time Scott Frost has been at Nebraska, there is not a better QB on his teams than Adrian Martinez.....WHY? Is it Scott Frost and the coaches cannot recruit QB talent or is it the top talent does not want to attend Nebraska?

If Scott Frost had a Top QB would his teams still be this bad.....YES or NO? If you answer NO then it's all about the QB and not his coaching ability.
Or it’s both. Unless you’re saying Illinois’ backup QB, who was beat out by Vedral at Rutgers, is better than Martinez.

Yes we’d be a bowl team with Milton at QB. But our coaching mistakes would still hold us back from being a division title contender.

No, if he had a great QB we would be very good. Our offensive schemes are good, if you have the right QB and there are plays for the QB to make. The problem is, we ca't be good without a great QB and in 4 years he has not recruited one, so I don't have any confidence in that ever changing.

How the hell can you blame the kid. He’s terrible yes, but he’s been guided and groomed by this group for 4 freaking years. They recruited him, they trained him, they keep rolling him out. Why can other schools take far less ballyhooed recruits and turn them into solid performers? And I don’t buy, well if he had a line. Same thing. It’s on them. And I get it’s game 1 relax. But I would expect a far better performance from a team when the coach says “best team I’ve had”.

In all this time Scott Frost has been at Nebraska, there is not a better QB on his teams than Adrian Martinez.....WHY? Is it Scott Frost and the coaches cannot recruit QB talent or is it the top talent does not want to attend Nebraska?
All we have to do is look at the number of Huskers that are on NFL teams. Go back about seven years. Very few. The NFL does not care how many stars a player had. If you are good and can play, you will make the team. Very few Huskers right now in the NFL. That tells me they are/were not talented. You cannot win without good talent and NU is not getting good talent due to not winning games and a history of poor head and assistant coaches. Osborne was an offensive genius and ran a unique offense and got the players he needed to fit the system. It was also a different time in history. There has been zero that is unique about the Huskers since Solich left. There is not enough talent in NE or the surrounding area and we are just not attractive to the CA, FL, TX, LA kids any longer. We get a few of course but not difference makers. As Barry Switzer once said, "its not about the X's and O's but rather the Jimmies and the Joes". I do not see NU rising to the top echelon of college football anytime soon and it makes me truly sad. But that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

AM is not a Top QB because he doesn’t see the open receivers in his progression, often misses the open receivers that he does see, doesn't protect the football, and doesn’t make smart decisions. In his defense he is a solid running QB and we’ve had the worst Offensive Lines 4 years running. Our Offensive line is beyond pathetic and the proof is on game day.

The coaching ability of SF, QB coach Harry Potter, and the O-line coach is so bad even at a JV level because they are unable to develop talent and teach basic fundamental football. I don’t know what they do all year but it is simply not good enough and has not improved in 4 years.

No. We would have won last Saturday' and many more games in the last few years. We had guys wide open on Sat as we have many other games. We could have easily scored two TDs. Momentum is real, it can change games. Company that with crucial turnovers from the QB and you have a loss for most teams. Imagine if we had Milton , Spencer Rattler, King ( Miami). Difference makers in a good way.

Last edited:
No. We would have won last Saturday' and many more games in the last few years. We had guys wide open on Sat as we have many other games. We could have easily scored two TDs. Momentum is real, it can change games. You a company that with crucial turnovers from the QB and you have a loss for most teams. Imagine if we had Milton , Spencer Rattler, King ( Miami). Difference makers in a good way.
100%. Our D was feeling it early on and if Adrian doesn't miss Liewer we are in business with the momentum. Not much later the Tannor play killed momentum and then we just shit the bed. We were in the drivers seat and shit the bed again and a lot of it has to deal with the play of the QB.

Errant snaps, mind boggling penalties, ST suck donkey spheres, turnover after turnover.

One way or another this is Frosts baby now. QB is just one piece.

No. Qb isn’t the largest problem. The inconsistency of the oline is

I think they are partially to blame for Martinez’s play

His freshman year he has 3 nfl guys in front of him and a very good tanner farmer

No. Qb isn’t the largest problem. The inconsistency of the oline is

I think they are partially to blame for Martinez’s play

His freshman year he has 3 nfl guys in front of him and a very good tanner farmer
Amart only won 4 games his freshman year behind that oline. Pretty much par for the course. My feelings on this whole thing is that the goal is to win football games. Nothing else.

Amart only won 4 games his freshman year behind that oline. Pretty much par for the course. My feelings on this whole thing is that the goal is to win football games. Nothing else.
Wasn’t the defense pretty bad that year? Didnt AM average over 300 yards total offense that year?

Reactions: OzzyLvr

I disagree completely with the premise of your question/conclusions. In college the coach controls everything from assistants to recruiting to player development to game planning and GameDay management. You can't say it's not the coaches fault that QB play is bad.. The coach directly or indirectly recruited him, developed him and prepared him to execute a game plan. It really is all about the coach and nothing else.

It's also a silly question because if everything is bad, QB, OL, special teams, running backs, as was the case Saturday, improving anything will make for a better record.

It's ALL on the run game....idk how people don't see it. The only time we looked good under Frost is when Ozigbo started to take off or the few games M Washington shined. Illinois we had no running game and that puts all the pressure on the QB who has shown to be below average being consistent -- along with crappy OL play. I'm in no way saying AM is a great QB but when we can't run the damn ball it's over.

I disagree completely with the premise of your question/conclusions. In college the coach controls everything from assistants to recruiting to player development to game planning and GameDay management. You can't say it's not the coaches fault that QB play is bad.. The coach directly or indirectly recruited him, developed him and prepared him to execute a game plan. It really is all about the coach and nothing else.

It's also a silly question because if everything is bad, QB, OL, special teams, running backs, as was the case Saturday, improving anything will make for a better record.

Yes this is true.. 100%, and Scott Frost has hitched his wagon to Adrian, but we are losing right now (imo) a lot has to do with Adrian. We seem to bitch about the calls a lot, but there are people open, we just don't find them. Yes, Scott has everything to do with that because Adrian was his all in, but it has to be maddening that he can't make the simple play. If Adrian starts making these plays it takes pressure off the line, opens things up for the backs, TES and other receivers. Until we can start making people scramble because Adrian is making the correct reads and the accurate throw, we are going to be hosed.

If we can get up on Fordham, Haarburg or Smothers need to get a ton of time just to see how they do. Hell, I'd even start Haarburg or Smothers just to make a statement and then bring in Adrian after just to see if a benching changes his tune. It helped a little bit last year, but he still seems to be a headcase when it matters.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It's ALL on the run game....idk how people don't see it. The only time we looked good under Frost is when Ozigbo started to take off or the few games M Washington shined. Illinois we had no running game and that puts all the pressure on the QB who has shown to be below average being consistent -- along with crappy OL play. I'm in no way saying AM is a great QB but when we can't run the damn ball it's over.
Well in order to run the dam ball, you have to block the dam defender. And we are not blocking jack shit

I’m interested to see who is 2nd string on Saturday. If it’s Haarberg I could see him taking over as starter when AM struggles against better teams. If it’s Smothers, I think AM starts every game no matter what the record is. Smothers can not throw the ball at all.

I’m interested to see who is 2nd string on Saturday. If it’s Haarberg I could see him taking over as starter when AM struggles against better teams. If it’s Smothers, I think AM starts every game no matter what the record is. Smothers can not throw the ball at all.
I wonder what it might do to a receiving corp to know that a ball might be coming at them when they make their cut

Remember, the HC is the guy who really asked the question if the #1 pick in the draft is better than Martinez. So regardless, we clearly have a moron manning this program. Albeit, he’s manning it mostly from a bar.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
AM is not a Top QB because he doesn’t see the open receivers in his progression, often misses the open receivers that he does see, doesn't protect the football, and doesn’t make smart decisions. In his defense he is a solid running QB and we’ve had the worst Offensive Lines 4 years running. Our Offensive line is beyond pathetic and the proof is on game day.

The coaching ability of SF, QB coach Harry Potter, and the O-line coach is so bad even at a JV level because they are unable to develop talent and teach basic fundamental football. I don’t know what they do all year but it is simply not good enough and has not improved in 4 years.
and that is the 5 million dollar question, what do they do all year?

Frost deserves a F- for his handling of the QB position.
1. He essentially ensured that Gebbia would transfer by starting Martinez as a true freshman game 1. Martinez looked good at first so we all were ok with that, but in hindsight starting Gebbia and having a longer QB competition might have revealed Martinez's flaws before Gebbia transferred.
2. Then he didn't give a look to future Heisman winner, record-setter, 1st pick in the draft Joe Burrow. Would Burrow have succeeded to the same level at NU? Very doubtful. Am I happy he went to LSU and won the NC, Heisman, etc? Yes. Did Frost F up by not recognizing the need on his own team and the ability of Burrow to fill it. Heck yes.
3. He then drafts a terrific athlete in Luke McCaffrey who can't throw well enough to run the offense. He gives him the look he deserves as a potential QB, but his deficiencies should have been obvious from the tape. This is the only QB recruit in the class.
4. Rather than learn from the McCaffrey mistake he recruits yet another QB who is a fast runner but deficient throwing the ball in Logan Smothers. Again there is not another QB recruit in the class.
5. Despite there being a number of good transfers available including McKenzie Milton, Frost is interested in no one. He has made up his mind to not consider anyone that isn't his recruit.
6. Finally after 3 years Frost recruits a QB who might actually be able to throw. But since Haarberg is from Kearney, Nebraska his abilities against top competition are unknown.
7. In year 4 Frost again appears to be recruiting a good throwing QB in Torres, but he hasn't even signed an LOI yet. At the earliest he could see the field sometime next year, but he would be a true freshman.
So the entire debacle at the QB position is entirely on Frost. The QB is the most important position and failing to recruit and develop good QBs might cost Frost his job.

Or it’s both. Unless you’re saying Illinois’ backup QB, who was beat out by Vedral at Rutgers, is better than Martinez.

Yes we’d be a bowl team with Milton at QB. But our coaching mistakes would still hold us back from being a division title contender.
Agree. A unicorn QB would mask the other issues and we would have a decent record.
What did Warren Buffet say.... "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."
That would be Frost's team with AM at the helm. Mediocre defense, penalties, critical mistakes, no consistent run game, poor special teams.
And they are paying the coaches $10 MM/yr for this? Really?

NO. Mario and Frost need(ed) to dig deeper than grabbing the first guy with mechanical issues thinking they change them.

Jmo, I think 2AM is talented, really talented actually. The problem is he sees ghosts and is pretty soft mentally. 2AM is too worried about the rush than what he can do to a defense. In all fairness he has not had good OL's or a running game to take pressure of of him. If you add some over coaching and previous injuries I think he is just ruined. This is the guy that didn't want to play in a bowl game and went home instead of going to the Big Ten media days. I bet 2AM looks great in practice with a green jersey knowing he won't get hit.

They should have a “thump” practice every week. No green jerseys. Let the qbs get knocked around a bit. They arent going to the ground.

Ohio State and Alabama have 1st year starting QBs this year.

Anybody think they won't play amazingly well and be candidates for All-Conference in the Big10 and SEC?

When you answer the question of why they'll be great, you'll have answered the OP's question.

Now, make them 1st year starters at Nebraska. Do either fix any problems?

Ohio State and Alabama have 1st year starting QBs this year.

Anybody think they won't play amazingly well and be candidates for All-Conference in the Big10 and SEC?

When you answer the question of why they'll be great, you'll have answered the OP's question.

Now, make them 1st year starters at Nebraska. Do either fix any problems?
I'd say yes. They would win more games and increase team trust. Moving the chains through the air would help take pressure off the running game. Not sure how WRs stick around when they see the QB situation.

The trick to beating Nebraska the last 10 years has been to force them to beat you through the air. Not hard to do when the QB isn't good at throwing.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Martinez is a good athlete with a good arm . . . no reason he shouldn't be good qb, except one.
Problem:

alt-jz-thl08-led-g1-rd.gif

Reactions: RedMyMind
Frost deserves a F- for his handling of the QB position.
1. He essentially ensured that Gebbia would transfer by starting Martinez as a true freshman game 1. Martinez looked good at first so we all were ok with that, but in hindsight starting Gebbia and having a longer QB competition might have revealed Martinez's flaws before Gebbia transferred.
2. Then he didn't give a look to future Heisman winner, record-setter, 1st pick in the draft Joe Burrow. Would Burrow have succeeded to the same level at NU? Very doubtful. Am I happy he went to LSU and won the NC, Heisman, etc? Yes. Did Frost F up by not recognizing the need on his own team and the ability of Burrow to fill it. Heck yes.
3. He then drafts a terrific athlete in Luke McCaffrey who can't throw well enough to run the offense. He gives him the look he deserves as a potential QB, but his deficiencies should have been obvious from the tape. This is the only QB recruit in the class.
4. Rather than learn from the McCaffrey mistake he recruits yet another QB who is a fast runner but deficient throwing the ball in Logan Smothers. Again there is not another QB recruit in the class.
5. Despite there being a number of good transfers available including McKenzie Milton, Frost is interested in no one. He has made up his mind to not consider anyone that isn't his recruit.
6. Finally after 3 years Frost recruits a QB who might actually be able to throw. But since Haarberg is from Kearney, Nebraska his abilities against top competition are unknown.
7. In year 4 Frost again appears to be recruiting a good throwing QB in Torres, but he hasn't even signed an LOI yet. At the earliest he could see the field sometime next year, but he would be a true freshman.
So the entire debacle at the QB position is entirely on Frost. The QB is the most important position and failing to recruit and develop good QBs might cost Frost his job.
This^
We may have had roster issues, but he needed to take anotherQB or two, or three to push the competition.
“Hypothetical scenario”- (not certain facts)
2020- 150 QBs throw more TD’s than Adrian.
Adjusting for games played (TD’s/game) Adrian may come in around 75-100.
Out of the 75 QBs ahead, many are solid at their schools, but a good number come from mid-majors who could potentially be lured to the big stage, and many were already backups.
Let’s pretend that leaves 20 of those options, and maybe only 3-4 are really viable. Of the 3-4 maybe 2 are not interested at all.
In that large pool, there could easily be 1-2 options of guys who would have considered Nebraska.

One specific case in point already discussed on this board: Bailey Zappe may have been FCS, but he threw 15 TDs in 4 games averaging over 400 yds passing each game, not to mention 35 TDs and 3800 yds in 2019.
He chose Western Kentucky despite a former P-5 level returning starter ahead of him (Tyrell Pigrone)… and Pigrone just flipped to Ole Miss, indicating Zappe unseated him.

The talk of QB’s being intimidated by AM, one of the lowest performing QBs, is nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: pharvey0829
ADVERTISEMENT