ADVERTISEMENT

Yant put on Scholarship

which couple of the RBs are going to be at the back of the bus this year?

Nice move by the staff. Can't have a decent walk-on program if you don't put some deserving guys on scholarship now and then.
I'm not sure he was the typical walk on. I don't doubt that he was promised that IF he came in and performed as they hoped that he would get a scholarship right away. He's a talented kid. It seems pretty clear that he wasn't in line to be on an academic scholarship as a walk on for a couple of years until they had to move him to an athletic scholarship. Lots of our walk ons start out on academic scholarships.

Reactions: ATX Husker
I'm not sure he was the typical walk on. I don't doubt that he was promised that IF he came in and performed as they hoped that he would get a scholarship right away. He's a talented kid. It seems pretty clear that he wasn't in line to be on an academic scholarship as a walk on for a couple of years until they had to move him to an athletic scholarship. Lots of our walk ons start out on academic scholarships.
If he had taken care of business earlier on the HS academics, he'd be on a SEC or ACC roster.

I'd be surprised if this kid isn't getting 10 carries a game at least

tenor.gif

Scott has plenty of speed to go with his size. He's not Ahman Green fast but he's fast.
Stepp and Yant are pretty big backs. I like what I saw from Yant in the spring game and Stepp's film from USC shows a guy that isn't easy to bring down. These are guys that you want on your roster if you are in the B1G. Ervin and Morrison have the profile of a feature back. Sevion's HS bona fides are legit, but he has yet to get his break at NU. I thought Ervin looked really good iin the spring game. Scott was the number 2 guy last year, but wasn't trusted enough to take the load when Mills wasn't available. He had a decent spring and will be better in the fall.
As of yet, I don't think a call can be made in terms of who "the guys" are going to be at RB this fall. Not a great situation, but I think NU has several backs that will be working their asses off to be "the guy".

I thought it was against NCAA rules for football players to be on an academic scholarship.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Scott III and Yant make for a solid backfield. Bruisers for sure. Mix in a speed guy now & then.
What I think you're touching on is getting an identity to this offense. A calling card. Let's be physical and run straight at you. Let's run more inside zone read, more power. Mix in some other stuff.

Get away from the QB keeper, QB scramble, swing pass and quick screen as practically the entire offense.

I thought it was against NCAA rules for football players to be on an academic scholarship.
It was but isn't anymore. If the kid meets the same criteria that other students do, he can get academic aid that doesn't count as athletics aid. By having to meet the same criteria, it assures that the academic aid is legit. Also avoids the former situation of a walk-on having to choose between an academic grant and being a member of the team.

It was but isn't anymore. If the kid meets the same criteria that other students do, he can get academic aid that doesn't count as athletics aid. By having to meet the same criteria, it assures that the academic aid is legit. Also avoids the former situation of a walk-on having to choose between an academic grant and being a member of the team.
Some of it has to do with if he was recruited by the school he attends doesn't it? If the school had him in for a visit, and he was a recruited athlete or they offered him a preferred walk on spot, meaning he doesn't have to "tryout" for the team and can start workouts before classes begin, I am pretty sure they can't be on academic grants.

just hoping we can capitalize.
lets not waste it.

Stepp and Yant are pretty big backs. I like what I saw from Yant in the spring game and Stepp's film from USC shows a guy that isn't easy to bring down. These are guys that you want on your roster if you are in the B1G. Ervin and Morrison have the profile of a feature back. Sevion's HS bona fides are legit, but he has yet to get his break at NU. I thought Ervin looked really good iin the spring game. Scott was the number 2 guy last year, but wasn't trusted enough to take the load when Mills wasn't available. He had a decent spring and will be better in the fall.
As of yet, I don't think a call can be made in terms of who "the guys" are going to be at RB this fall. Not a great situation, but I think NU has several backs that will be working their asses off to be "the guy".
I agree with this.
I’m hoping either Ervin or Morrison can solidify a solid role. Those others guys will run tough, but I’d like to add a speedier/shiftier guy.

Even if we have the uncertain depth chart, at least there will be some competition for snaps to let the cream rise.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Will they give him a number now??
I hope he keeps wearing the zero, I kinda like it. Not a huge surprise to see him earn a scholarship, hope he can be an impact player in the future.

One thing that has really jumped out at me as I was watching some old 92 and 93 games is the way the I-backs finished runs. You get a clear sense that Frank had rules for how they were expected to run if they wanted to play.

Never going out of bounds, pretty much never spinning or dancing, ALWAYS going hard into contact when they were surrounded. And the opponents' RBs were usually doing the same. Just a different running style than what you see a lot of times today, it must have put some hard miles on those guys.

Reactions: ADV1
ADVERTISEMENT