ADVERTISEMENT

Yant gets props from Austin

Something else to consider is I believe rb’s have been sandbagging for years.. trying to limit reps to stay injury free and limit the number of unpaid hits.

For a lot of them, they expect to only have to really show up as a junior or senior to get to the next level. It’s rare to have a rb grind it out for 4 years.

If they do have success early, they are leaving early too.

Fisher probably had more to do with it than Held.
The likelihood is that offering guys with injuries or academic risk is probably a staff decision and not just a position coach. People blaming Held for recruiting decisions are off base. Ultimately the blame or credit probably should involve not only the position coach but the coordinator and head coach as well.

Has anyone ever given the thought as to why our RBs are hurt right now? It's because of the brutal physicality of the practices and vicious and downright nasty hitting this spring.
NOT. As has been stated, the RB’s we are recruiting have a history of injury and/or are injured when they arrive. Same has been true of the QB’s until recent the recent recruits arrived

NOT. As has been stated, the RB’s we are recruiting have a history of injury and/or are injured when they arrive. Same has been true of the QB’s until recent the recent recruits arrived
Stepp is the only one that came in with an injury. All of the practices that were live hitting have been brutal as fk and that is 1000% fact.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Not quite ready to post Jaquez Yant > I.M. Hipp
yeah, Nebraska has had like around 175 Walkon RBs since Osborne, and only 1 I.M Hipp did something. So the odds of Yant being a real difference maker is like 0.0057. But I'm saying there is still a chance!

Bivens isn't here, Thompkins was 100% before practice started and live hitting is the reason Thompkins, Ervin and Morrison are all 3 out, Stepp got here with an injury.
I know Bivens isn’t here, but to say Stepp is the only RB we recruited with an injury is blatantly false. Thompkins had 2 major knee injuries, which is why he was available, and Bivens also had a knee injury or something when he came to Nebraska.

The reality is, we have recruited more backs with injuries/question marks than I would like.

I know Bivens isn’t here, but to say Stepp is the only RB we recruited with an injury is blatantly false. Thompkins had 2 major knee injuries, which is why he was available, and Bivens also had a knee injury or something when he came to Nebraska.

The reality is, we have recruited more backs with injuries/question marks than I would like.
No, I'm talking about this year. The only 2 RBs we had come in this year were Stepp and Ervin and Stepp was the only one that had an injury coming in Ervin didn't. The injuries to Thompkins, Ervin and Morrison this year happened during live hitting this spring

Hopefully he's not just another Spring Game Legend like Wyatt Mazour and Andrew Bunch. Seems like every year there is a guy that's hyped up in the spring and then barely sees the field in the fall.

Man that's the truth. We could probably out together quite the list of Spring legends. Anyone remember Tyrell Spain?

Bivens was a walk on. And where they really supposed to pull Thompkins offer after he got hurt?
No, not at all... I was just saying we have recruited quite a few running backs with injuries. That’s all I was saying. We need to honor the offer. Glad we did.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Thompkins - 2 blown knees
Stepp - history of injuries
Rest - no consistent injuries of note before the NLI was signed. In fact, I remember Ervin being mentioned as a kid who has been able to keep it on the healthy side.

Is it really Held‘s fault that the players on scholarship always come up gimping and can’t stay healthy?
Some of those guys had injury issues when they got here or their lack of size made people wonder if they could hold up as a full time back. For this year's class they need to find a good, physical back with a clean injury history-- a college transfer, juco or HS kid, I don't care. Just sign a durable ass kicking RB with good vision and upside potential.

Maurice is a completely different issue and Nebraska wasn’t the only school recruiting him hard... Even Deon Sanders was very high on him coming out of high school....
The only schools going after Maurice Washington were schools that wanted to gamble on him. Hell, the kid got expelled not long after signing.

I read somewhere, can't remember, it's reported Yant is actually around 245lbs at 6'2 +1/2, and running really well even with lateral movements, but definitely north south focus. Do not know about his speed? Probably as fast as Stepp at least. Great Spring Kool Aide!

But is he good enough to win the Doak Walker award? That’s the question

Give Held credit for getting a guy like Yant to walk on at NU. Also you have no way to know how fast Yant is. EVERY single person I've heard talk about Yant says he's big AND fast.

Willis McGahee had 2 ACL repairs. One of those was before he destroyed NU in the Rose Bowl. I guess the NFL shouldn't have drafted him. Thompkins has a very similar skill set and talent level to McGahee. You take chances on guys who potentially are difference makers. We're not at the point like OSU and Bama who can pull scholarship offers to high level commits who have injuries their senior year of high school.

NU has had a long history of honoring scholarship offers to kids who get hurt their senior year. A guy from my high school was just such a case and Tom honored his offer after a second leg injury due to a horrible car crash ended any chance he would ever play football in college. The running back situation last year had more issues with youth, concussions and COVID than it did from lingering injuries from high school.
Sorry man, it’s hard to take this serious when you are comparing Thompkins, who has had less than 10 collegiate rushes to Willis McGahee.

I’m not saying we shouldn't have offered him. He was a baller pre-injury. He may still end up being a player. And It was a calculated risk and I can respect that. My point was only that Held has taken a lot of those risks and none have panned out yet.

Also, Fisher got Yant to Nebraska, which was my point.

Not gonna lie but in the limited footage I have seen, Yant looks like an average back. No explosiveness out of his cuts, not a burner. He is a bigger body. Hopefully the OL can do enough to open some holes and Yant can just plow his way to some yardage.

Unless we run him sideways like we tend to do with our bigger slower backs.

Sorry man, it’s hard to take this serious when you are comparing Thompkins, who has had less than 10 collegiate rushes to Willis McGahee.

I’m not saying we shouldn't have offered him. He was a baller pre-injury. He may still end up being a player. And It was a calculated risk and I can respect that. My point was only that Held has taken a lot of those risks and none have panned out yet.

Also, Fisher got Yant to Nebraska, which was my point.
go back if you can and find Thompkins ranking and offers list before the injury. He was one of the top RB recruits in the country. The point was that with his talent level we needed to honor the offer and take the risk. IF he ever gives us eventually even one year of his pre-injury highlights the rewards will be huge. MacGahee was just one example of an explosive college RB returning from multiple ACL surgeries. I don't really know or care that much who is "responsible" for getting Yant to NU. I don't think we all know who is actually responsible for landing many recruits unless we talk to the players.

Fisher probably had more to do with it than Held.
Best inside threat was Yant But Morrison if he gets in better condition has the most versatility and could end up as number 1 Potential top 3 would be Morrison -Yant / Stepp- Ervin. Only disappointment in the group is Harris maybe the quickest and only true elusive back. But doubt that he will survive thie beating he will take in this conference.

ADVERTISEMENT