ADVERTISEMENT

Yant gets props from Austin

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Austin said Yant was a big fast back who plays downhill with his pads and can bring the thunder. Said he taken good advantage of his reps. Like I posted earlier, if not for academics, the kid would be on an SEC or ACC roster. There is absolutely no reason why this kid isn’t one of the backs getting carries in the fall.

Austin said Yant was a big fast back who plays downhill with his pads and can bring the thunder. Said he taken good advantage of his reps. Like I posted earlier, if not for academics, the kid would be on an SEC or ACC roster. There is absolutely no reason why this kid isn’t one of the backs getting carries in the fall.
Got some more hype from Sipple this morning as well. I don’t think he’ll be in the top 3 this fall, but I hope he surprises me. Film looks good but just don’t think he has the speed for our offense.

Also, Held has what, 7 scholly guys here that he recruited now? Not the best look for Held if Yant does end up being one of our more productive backs after Fish brings in one walk on.

Got some more hype from Sipple this morning as well. I don’t think he’ll be in the top 3 this fall, but I hope he surprises me. Film looks good but just don’t think he has the speed for our offense.

Also, Held has what, 7 scholly guys here that he recruited now? Not the best look for Held if Yant does end up being one of our more productive backs after Fish brings in one walk on.

Is it really Held‘s fault that the players on scholarship always come up gimping and can’t stay healthy?

Count me as one aboard the optimist train but the little I've seen of Yant makes me wonder what others are seeing. Yeah, he's big... But what else? He doesn't seem all that fast and he seems stiff and like he lacks high level agility.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I read somewhere, can't remember, it's reported Yant is actually around 245lbs at 6'2 +1/2, and running really well even with lateral movements, but definitely north south focus. Do not know about his speed? Probably as fast as Stepp at least. Great Spring Kool Aide!

Count me as one aboard the optimist train but the little I've seen of Yant makes me wonder what others are seeing. Yeah, he's big... But what else? He doesn't seem all that fast and he seems stiff and like he lacks high level agility.
Imani Cross scored 28 TDs on 327 rushing attempts, averaging 4.9 ypc. Terrell Newby also averaged 4.9 ypc, but only scored 20 TDs in 458 carries. I'm not that concerned with Yant's agility. I'm hoping he can the kind of back you put in when you need yardage to move the chains or the TD on the goal line. Big backs are needed if NU wants to win consistently in the B1G.

Is it really Held‘s fault that the players on scholarship always come up gimping and can’t stay healthy?
I think at a certain point the coach shares some responsibility. I get you have to take some risks to get talent to Nebraska but for whatever reason those risks haven’t panned out.

Mo Wash - known behavioral issues

Thompkins - known significant injury issues in HS, 2 torn ACLs

Stepp - known injury issues in college

Morrison - some injury issues in HS, though nothing severe

That’s some risky recruiting. Then throw in a couple misses on G Bell and R Johnson and the room can be decimated quickly. Hopefully we can get some guys back. Been excited to see what Morrison & Irvin can do.

Thompkins and Morrison had injury issues but a lot of backs have some kind of injury entering College..

Stepp been injury prone but they didn’t know the content of the injury till he arrived here..

Maurice is a completely different issue and Nebraska wasn’t the only school recruiting him hard... Even Deon Sanders was very high on him coming out of high school....

Thompkins and Morrison had injury issues but a lot of backs have some kind of injury entering College..

Stepp been injury prone but they didn’t know the content of the injury till he arrived here..

Maurice is a completely different issue and Nebraska wasn’t the only school recruiting him hard... Even Deon Sanders was very high on him coming out of high school....
But you can't say it's not Held's fault that we have gimpy RB's on the roster when he recruits gimpy RB's. Obviously there's the whole risk and reward thing, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Any of these running backs can still contribute, I'm not at all saying they are busts. Looking forward to them getting healthy.

Imani Cross scored 28 TDs on 327 rushing attempts, averaging 4.9 ypc. Terrell Newby also averaged 4.9 ypc, but only scored 20 TDs in 458 carries. I'm not that concerned with Yant's agility. I'm hoping he can the kind of back you put in when you need yardage to move the chains or the TD on the goal line. Big backs are needed if NU wants to win consistently in the B1G.
Agreed. But if he is just a large body, he's just a large body. I would be really excited if he was that big and had some special skills. I hope he does

I'm taking the wait & see approach here.
Hope they are right!

Has anyone ever given the thought as to why our RBs are hurt right now? It's because of the brutal physicality of the practices and vicious and downright nasty hitting this spring.

Will be interested to see how quick his feet are and how he used them. If adept at that, would love to see him in red zone

Has anyone ever given the thought as to why our RBs are hurt right now? It's because of the brutal physicality of the practices and vicious and downright nasty hitting this spring.
hopefully this is the case, but if so, why just the RBs? More likely, our coaches recruited injury prone RBs thinking we're getting steals once they're healthy.

I would love to have game breaker back there but if the goal is to win the West, I personally think identifying two Big ten average backs would be adequate and I expect that to happen.

I love having a big bruiser thunder back, but we need to add some lightning to that bottle.
I have no doubt Yant’s hype is primarily related to lack of other healthy RBs playing right now.

I wish they were getting spring reps, but I’m still excited to see what the other RB’s can do once they’re getting snaps.

Gotta get that room healthy asap.

I don't see why that is a bad look for Held. At the end of the day it's a good look if our RB's are good and a bad look if they aren't.

Is it a problem that Reimer is better than all the scholarship ILB's? Was it a problem when walk-on's like Tomich and Parrella beat out scholarship guys?

I think at a certain point the coach shares some responsibility. I get you have to take some risks to get talent to Nebraska but for whatever reason those risks haven’t panned out.

Mo Wash - known behavioral issues

Thompkins - known significant injury issues in HS, 2 torn ACLs

Stepp - known injury issues in college

Morrison - some injury issues in HS, though nothing severe

That’s some risky recruiting. Then throw in a couple misses on G Bell and R Johnson and the room can be decimated quickly. Hopefully we can get some guys back. Been excited to see what Morrison & Irvin can do.
Whoa. Many guys with asterisks.

I don't see why that is a bad look for Held. At the end of the day it's a good look if our RB's are good and a bad look if they aren't.

Is it a problem that Reimer is better than all the scholarship ILB's? Was it a problem when walk-on's like Tomich and Parrella beat out scholarship guys?
Who knows, Isiah Moses Hipp , (IM Hipp) was a walk on from South Carolina.

Fish is a better judge of talent then Held. Hell Held can't even get his JCs to show up on campus. He hasn't developed one rb. Over paid.

Not gonna lie but in the limited footage I have seen, Yant looks like an average back. No explosiveness out of his cuts, not a burner. He is a bigger body. Hopefully the OL can do enough to open some holes and Yant can just plow his way to some yardage.

Not gonna lie but in the limited footage I have seen, Yant looks like an average back. No explosiveness out of his cuts, not a burner. He is a bigger body. Hopefully the OL can do enough to open some holes and Yant can just plow his way to some yardage.
He looked fairly quick and fast in some high school those but it looks like it was about 50 pounds ago

Hard to say the only video i saw recently was during drills, heck even Le'Veon Bell would look slow in some drills as he is a patient runner look for holes and blockers. Who knows until they play live.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Give Held credit for getting a guy like Yant to walk on at NU. Also you have no way to know how fast Yant is. EVERY single person I've heard talk about Yant says he's big AND fast.

Willis McGahee had 2 ACL repairs. One of those was before he destroyed NU in the Rose Bowl. I guess the NFL shouldn't have drafted him. Thompkins has a very similar skill set and talent level to McGahee. You take chances on guys who potentially are difference makers. We're not at the point like OSU and Bama who can pull scholarship offers to high level commits who have injuries their senior year of high school.

NU has had a long history of honoring scholarship offers to kids who get hurt their senior year. A guy from my high school was just such a case and Tom honored his offer after a second leg injury due to a horrible car crash ended any chance he would ever play football in college. The running back situation last year had more issues with youth, concussions and COVID than it did from lingering injuries from high school.

Reactions: ADV1
Hopefully he's not just another Spring Game Legend like Wyatt Mazour and Andrew Bunch. Seems like every year there is a guy that's hyped up in the spring and then barely sees the field in the fall.
Mazour and Bunch didn't have SEC offers. I can see it now. Yant the next Husker back drafted in to the NFL after starting 4 years, becoming an academic All American and all B1G running back. A guy spurned by the SEC due to academic concerns finds success at NU. I can dream right? It would be a sweet story.:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT