ADVERTISEMENT

XBMC/kodi cord cutting

dee_s3

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2008
Watch "Cut your Cable Bill - Watch Free TV and Movies - KODI - XBMC" on YouTube

It's worth looking at, I'm not saying it's the greatest or anything, but I have had no issues. It's all free, but if u want a box for your TV, I have some recommendations.

Thanks for posting.. what recommendations do you have for hardware? Specifically, I'm looking for a small box that runs linux and doesn't use a lot of electricity.

This is the box everyone is getting lately. Runs real smooth with a nice processor. It's not cutting the cord completely, but u get a lot of free channels, movies, and music.

It's a pretty cool little gadget. I'm still figuring out how to use it, but lest to say, I will be canceling the sports tier on on my cable plan.

It's funny it all started with Xbox media center.

That's a good keyboard with it, makes it a lot easier to use.

[/QUOTE]
Looks like a nice device. I've been using WDTV Live's for the last 6-7 years, mainly for the den and bedroom and then a Popcorn Hour A-400 for the last couple of years for the main TV. I don't stream all that much as I have about 5 TB of HD movies/TV shows on my NAS, unless you count that as streaming :)
The WD's are getting a little long in the tooth so I've been looking around for a good replacement. I've played with XMBC a little over the years (not since v. 12 though really) and really liked it for the most part. On the DR box does KODI save the database in the onboard RAM or do you need a USB stick/drive for storage? I go portable a lot (I'll take a WD and a USB hard drive to friend's and such for movie marathons), does the DR/KODI handle an external USB drive OK?

Thanks!

Ok, so I've been running kodi on my mac for about a month now, and have been researching these different android tv boxes. It seems the best CPU now is the S812, but what is weird is the form factor these come in is all over the map.. there is the M8S, the MXQ, the MXIII, so I'm not sure what the differences are..

Does anyone know if it matters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT