ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe M

Walk On
Dec 18, 2006
Consensus is it’s NU, ND and Michigan. Any indication where he’s leaning or a timeline for decision?

Deciding later after all officials and it's a toss-up. SF and coaches are doing everything they can. That's been the word for a while, not sure if anything changed recently.

Looks like he isn’t officially visiting Michigan until the season, so this could drag through the summer.

Interesting that the ND writers unanimously have futurecast picks in for ND and the NU writers have their picks in for Nebraska with the most recent pick coming today from Gregg Peterson. Must be hearing some conflicting stuff.

Looks like he isn’t officially visiting Michigan until the season, so this could drag through the summer.

Interesting that the ND writers unanimously have futurecast picks in for ND and the NU writers have their picks in for Nebraska with the most recent pick coming today from Gregg Peterson. Must be hearing some conflicting stuff.
Not really surprising. Probably telling both sides he likes them, which probably is the truth.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Not really surprising. Probably telling both sides he likes them, which probably is the truth.

Reason I said it’s interesting is that usually the ND writers check with people on both sides before putting picks in, at least on Rivals, when it’s down to 2-3 schools. I guess this is an outlier.

Reason I said it’s interesting is that usually the ND writers check with people on both sides before putting picks in, at least on Rivals, when it’s down to 2-3 schools. I guess this is an outlier.
K. Guess I don't follow ND writers. NU seems to be getting more of the guys we've been "in" on lately. Winning more of those battles when down to the last 3-5.

Nebraska coming in late really hurt them. Also, the line “we want you to help AM win the Heisman” landed poorly.

Nebraska needs to start looking at him as a safety.

Nebraska coming in late really hurt them. Also, the line “we want you to help AM win the Heisman” landed poorly.

Can’t believe the beginning of junior year is considered “late”. Also, Doesn’t he prefer offense? Not sure how that would sit with Watts

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia and NDR

The current coaching staff was on him almost immedialty. Why would a receiver be upset that he could help the qb feeding him the ball win a heisman? If he feels disrespected by either of those things that would infer to me that he’s pretty high on himself. He’s talented, but not a must get outside of he’s an in-state recruit. Frost and Walters won’t have any trouble recruiting equivalent talent at the receiver position.

The current coaching staff was on him almost immedialty. Why would a receiver be upset that he could help the qb feeding him the ball win a heisman? If he feels disrespected by either of those things that would infer to me that he’s pretty high on himself. He’s talented, but not a must get outside of he’s an in-state recruit. Frost and Walters won’t have any trouble recruiting equivalent talent at the receiver position.

He seems like a rational and mature kid, so I was surprised to hear that as well.

I think he’s pretty talented though. For Michigan and ND to come to Nebraska and go all out for a WR prospect is pretty telling.

We didn’t come in late, considering. Not sure if I believe much of any of the other stuff. More likely, he still likes ND just as well right now because they still carry weight. Still think we land him.

Reactions: huskerfan66

This is absolute nonsense. There is no way the coaches are saying stuff like this. These coaches are all about team over individual goals.

They don’t know what we’ve been hearing.
I’m not sure what the NU mods are reporting on him? I don’t think they know it’s being widely reported that NU is perceived to be in 3rd right now?
Anyways, I’m big on this kid, but watching him next to Jordan Johnson at the St. Louis regional over the weekend was a night & day difference. But I still hope to land him.

Reactions: Joe M
I’m not sure what the NU mods are reporting on him? I don’t think they know it’s being widely reported that NU is perceived to be in 3rd right now?
Anyways, I’m big on this kid, but watching him next to Jordan Johnson at the St. Louis regional over the weekend was a night & day difference. But I still hope to land him.

Where has this been reported?

Where has this been reported?

The ND & UM sites.
I personally don’t put a lot of stock in the UM one because they always think they lead for everybody. But the ND guys on Rivals are brutally honest & don’t sugarcoat stuff.
Two of the three ND Rivals guys who cover recruiting have been monitoring him & their opinions on him differ. One has him third on the WR board (behind Johnson & McMillan, both top 100 guys) & actually ahead of Henning & Redding (also top 100 guys). So he sees him as a very high prospect. The other (who was in St. Louis to see him compete over the weekend) is not as high on him. Didn’t see anything special about him against better competition. Watts is scheduled for his OV to ND June 21st (ND’s big visit weekend) & some believe ND will try to close the deal then. That’s what we are hearing.

Seems like a large shift in sentiment yesterday from the NU side of things, now thinking ND is in the driver’s seat.

Consensus is it’s NU, ND and Michigan. Any indication where he’s leaning or a timeline for decision?
I don't know his past? Has he grown up watching Nebraska? Has he lived here his whole life? Is most of his family from here? If no to most of those questions. Im going to say ND. Of the 2 programs they have had the most recent success, history of getting kids to the league, and better national recognition. If his only goal is to get to the league and he has no emotional ties to Nebraska. I give the edge to ND.

I don't know his past? Has he grown up watching Nebraska? Has he lived here his whole life? Is most of his family from here? If no to most of those questions. Im going to say ND. Of the 2 programs they have had the most recent success, history of getting kids to the league, and better national recognition. If his only goal is to get to the league and he has no emotional ties to Nebraska. I give the edge to ND.

I believe it’s been reported in the past he grew up a ND fan. And getting to the league isn’t his only goal, he has said in numerous interviews the degree from ND would be very important to him.

I believe it’s been reported in the past he grew up a ND fan. And getting to the league isn’t his only goal, he has said in numerous interviews the degree from ND would be very important to him.
Well there is our answer. ND fan. ND offer. All things being equal a kid is more than likely going to play for a team he grew up cheering for. As someone else said. He would be a great get because he is a talented in state kid. If we want this thing to take off, we have to keep the instate kids home. From a team/ future stand point, he isn't a must get. Frost and Co can and will be able to pull his type of talent in every year. Hope we get him, if not. On to the next.

Well there is our answer. ND fan. ND offer. All things being equal a kid is more than likely going to play for a team he grew up cheering for. As someone else said. He would be a great get because he is a talented in state kid. If we want this thing to take off, we have to keep the instate kids home. From a team/ future stand point, he isn't a must get. Frost and Co can and will be able to pull his type of talent in every year. Hope we get him, if not. On to the next.
Who knows though? It’s also been reported that Betts has been talking to him & pushing NU. What’s interesting is that his visit to UM fell through, & one would think that would hurt them? I think Frost is going to keep pushing for him, so if ND can’t lock him up in June, anything can happen.

Reactions: husker2612
Who knows though? It’s also been reported that Betts has been talking to him & pushing NU. What’s interesting is that his visit to UM fell through, & one would think that would hurt them? I think Frost is going to keep pushing for him, so if ND can’t lock him up in June, anything can happen.
Pretty sure its more than just Betts in his ear about NU.. alot more fire power on that front.. he has some great options thats for sure... any of those 3 schools

As of right now ND probably leads for him with NU in second place. Still a long ways to go though.

Reactions: Bold Words
As of right now ND probably leads for him with NU in second place. Still a long ways to go though.

That depends. Sounds like ND is pushing for a commitment this summer. Obviously he wouldn’t sign until December though.

I admit I under estimated Coach Frost ability to recruit the type of talent we need to be competitive in the Big Ten. I was wrong but yet we still have to wait and see. Be patience and I believe good things will happen. I also wish I would have understood the recruiting process but without naming high school coaches they never advised on the best was to get your kid a scholarship at NCAA college. Now being over sixty with grown kids who had the talent I would tell a kid or family to seek recruiting services. I contacted the NCAA and asked about the different was D1 programs find the talent they need. Many colleges coaches work with services like https://www.awevideo.com/ I include this because had I know I would have done this and any parent wanting to give their kid the best chance to continue on playing where ever should consider this. Learn from my mistakes.
GO HUSKERS

Reactions: Bold Words
Well I certainly hope we get Watts. Always want the best Nebraska kids to be Huskers for sure. But in the event he does go somewhere else, it won't be a disaster either IMO. We'll be able to recruit WR's nationally with Frost's offense so the team will be fine.

Reactions: husker2612
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT