ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming now with 4 commited Nebraskans in this class

BigRedballz

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2003
Lincoln
Patrick Arnold- Gretna, Davon Wells Ross- Omaha North, Chris Walker- Lincoln East and Rudy Stofer-Kearney.
Craig Bohl getting kids that NU would probably like to walk on and he seems to be out recruiting South Dakata State, North Dakota State etc.. He has Wyo playing good ball and I think they'll continue to improve with these kids they are bringing in. Can't blame the kids for taking the scholarship over walking on but it would be nice to have them.

Patrick Arnold- Gretna, Davon Wells Ross- Omaha North, Chris Walker- Lincoln East and Rudy Stofer-Kearney.
Craig Bohl getting kids that NU would probably like to walk on and he seems to be out recruiting South Dakata State, North Dakota State etc.. He has Wyo playing good ball and I think they'll continue to improve with these kids they are bringing in. Can't blame the kids for taking the scholarship over walking on but it would be nice to have them.
I would hope he would out recruit South Dakota State and NDSU since they play I'm a division higher than them.

Wells Ross seems like the type of athlete that Iowa or Iowa State might go after. I could see him being really outstanding with a couple years in the S&C program.

CHAPS MY HIDE...
Why? If the kids don't want to walk-on at their home state school, who's fault is it? The message they have gotten from fans and their high school coaches has not been very good toward the staff. A free ride is tough to turn down.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Why? If the kids don't want to walk-on at their home state school, who's fault is it? The message they have gotten from fans and their high school coaches has not been very good toward the staff. A free ride is tough to turn down.

I guess I dont see "fault" assigned to any of this. What exactly is the message from HS coaches and fans? I see lots of mixed messages on this board so I would be interested in knowing what the message is.

I can see kids wanting to play for Bohl and an up and coming program. It would appear the the wyo staff is good at player development and identification. lots of energy there and yes, a good and free education is hard to pass up.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Scholly >>>> Walking on, anywhere. I'm also quite certain every one of these parents are telling their kid "TAKE THE FREE RIDE"! Good luck to each of them, Wyoming is on the ups with Bohl and I admit I'm totally rooting for them.

Reactions: lclark2
Walking on at Nebraska >>> scholly to non power 5 school. UNL is affordable. Local businesses love to hire former NU players. If you are serious about football NU provides you with better resources and exposure. Huskers Uber Alles!

???????

Walking on at Nebraska >>> scholly to non power 5 school. UNL is affordable. Local businesses love to hire former NU players. If you are serious about football NU provides you with better resources and exposure. Huskers Uber Alles!

As someone who has been paying off college loans for the last dozen years, I disagree with your take.

It is also possible that these young men know their own talent level and know, therefore, that their chances of significant playing time at NU are slim. Sure, some walk ons break through and play, but that is no sure thing and often depends on scholarship players ahead of them getting injured or quitting or getting suspended. They also probably know that they will most likely never play in the NFL. So if they really want a great chance to play football on the field for a legit D-1 team, and want a full scholarship as well, then choosing Wyoming over NU is a no brainer.

As Cornicator points out, student loans can be burdensome. Yes, NU is relatively cheaper than a lot of other schools for an in state kid. But "cheaper than other schools" is not the same as "inexpensive". Crap, when I attended UNL as a Freshman in 1978 tuition for one semester full time was around $550! Ha. Gone are the days when a Nebraska kid really would prefer to walk on at NU because it really was inexpensive.

It should also not be overlooked, sad to say, that Tom Osborne has retired. He was a big reason kids walked on here too. I love Riley and hope he can reach Osborne type success here before he retires. I think he will come close (but nothing like our 90's dynasty which was not usual even for most of Osborne's years).

Agree Pennsy. There is a difference between playing college football and being on a college football team. That should always be a consideration when making a decision.
I think we also need to remember that many of these young men know that if they want to stay attached somehow to college football after graduation that they will need to get into coaching. And actually playing a lot on the field teaches you a lot more for the future than sitting on a bench daydreaming.

I could not disagree more.

Curious of your reasoning as I think it's an interesting debate. Personally, I think walking on at Nebraska would be much better than a full ride at Wyoming (example). I'd work hard as hell to prove myself and get to the next level, but also just a chance to play for the Huskers would be worth it for me, and yes having that thing for your resume would help start some convos in the state. Very interested on hearing the other side though. Good topic.

Currently it looks like resident room and tuition at UNL is just under $20,000. Now you would not be staying in the dorms all four years, but you are probably looking at a 4 or 5 year degree at UNL costing around $50,000+. If you are getting an full ride from somewhere, as a parent you have to step in and let your kid know how much better it is to come out of college debt free as opposed to being underwater to the tune of $50,000 right away.

There is no right answer. My oldest played baseball and had offers from some top programs but those offers were for 25-35% and had offers of 75-85% from mid majors. He had to decide if he wanted to be part time contributor on a major program or a 4 year starter at a mid major. When he was deciding we had conversations from all aspects, but for him it came down to playing time and knowing his limitations. He said I have worked my ass of since I was 9 playing this game, I don't want to go sit the bench for 2 years, get some innings in the field, some pinch hits or pinch run when I can legitimately compete for a starting job from day 1.

Each player and family situation is different.

Reactions: lclark2
Curious of your reasoning as I think it's an interesting debate. Personally, I think walking on at Nebraska would be much better than a full ride at Wyoming (example). I'd work hard as hell to prove myself and get to the next level, but also just a chance to play for the Huskers would be worth it for me, and yes having that thing for your resume would help start some convos in the state. Very interested on hearing the other side though. Good topic.

Playing at D1 level kids have to work their butts off to prove themselves regardless. With college costs skyrocketing, the days where NU could just grab every walk-on is over. Obviously, it depends on each kid, their family situation, etc. I don't blame the NE kids for going to Wyo, SDSU, NDSU, etc if that is a better fit for them.

I get the whole "Nebraska is a better fit to get you ready for the next level" argument. I do however think in this day and age of every game being on TV and the scouting that goes on for the NFL, if you have the ability and talent, you will get noticed no matter where you are at. Very recent case in point, Carson Wentz. He was only a two year starter at NDSU. Granted they were a high profile FCS team, they were only a FCS team and he ended up being the # 2 draft pick. I am not sure he had any offers from FBS teams out of high school, but I could be wrong.

I am a finance guy, and I am a big advocate of having as little debt as possible, so that weighs in pretty heavy on my thoughts on this. With that said, I could not fault a kid at all for wanting to take a shot at walking on and proving yourself at a program like Nebraska either. I don't think either decision is wrong by any means.

$$$$$$$. Period.

$50,000 student loan at 3% interest over 30 years equates to $76,000 when you're done paying it. Yes of course you can pay extra and shave some off, but anyone who doesn't see the advantage of forgoing that debt altogether just see's it differently than I do.

My kids will be paying for their own college, so I suspect when it gets right down to it and they look at those numbers, the decision will be really easy.

My son and some of his friends went to Vala's a few weeks ago and next morning I asked him if he had a good time (he had been there twice previously and I paid for it, I said if you go a third time you're paying for it yourself). He said, and I'm not joking..... 'Vala's isn't as much fun when you have to pay for it yourself". Amen son, amen.

Playing at D1 level kids have to work their butts off to prove themselves regardless. With college costs skyrocketing, the days where NU could just grab every walk-on is over. Obviously, it depends on each kid, their family situation, etc. I don't blame the NE kids for going to Wyo, SDSU, NDSU, etc if that is a better fit for them.

I don't blame them either, just stating what I would do. For me the experience outweighs the cost, but some of that is hindsight to my situation now and knowing where I am financially. Going back to that time in my life though, I had some conversations with FCS schools, and had no interest. I had grown up wanting to be a Husker, but knew I was not near good enough for that so went to UNL instead to just live the college life vs. go on scholarship at one of those schools. Granted I had academic scholarships as well, but it was being a Husker any way or bust for me. My mom loved her time there, and I couldn't wait. Like I said it is a very interesting topic.

Going back to the hindsight though, I may have tried to get into big time academic school vs. UNL not having the Husker blinders and knowing more about life now. It's tough because you are just a kid and there is so much going on at that time in your life. Everyone's situation is different.

Reactions: LZZOSO
It would be nice to be able to root for Wyoming but quite a few of their fans seem to have a lot of jealousy issues when it comes to Nebraska.

My kid runs XC/T&F for a DII school. The scholarship pays for a bit over 60% of his tuition/fees. He could have run low D1 and some kids in his range of times do. In XC, he was able to run varsity on his team as a frosh, has been on two conference championship teams and was All-Conference this year as a sophomore. He is having a ball and is getting good coaching.
A lot of Nebraska kids can't pass up the chance to be able to run out of the tunnel. That's great for us fans as it gives the team depth that we wouldn't otherwise have. But it's also great that some of the regional 1-AA and lower D1 teams are doing well, because that gives other NE kids a chance at a great college athletic experience.

It would be nice to be able to root for Wyoming but quite a few of their fans seem to have a lot of jealousy issues when it comes to Nebraska.
lol. There's not one ounce of jealousy from Wyoming to Nebraska anything. Have fun farming while we're deer and elk hunting, fly fishing, skiing, boating on uncrowded water, snowmobiling and enjoying our PUBLIC lands and beautiful mountains. Your trash is our treasure, though. Thanks

lol. There's not one ounce of jealousy from Wyoming to Nebraska anything. Have fun farming while we're deer and elk hunting, fly fishing, skiing, boating on uncrowded water, snowmobiling and enjoying our PUBLIC lands and beautiful mountains. Your trash is our treasure, though. Thanks

^^^^Case in point^^^^

They seem to be a very sensitive bunch and it only gets worse when we beat the crap out of them in football.

It's going to continue to get harder to get good walk on's here in similar numbers to the past. I say this primarily because of the cost of college increasing so dramatically. If you don't think we're entitled/selfish fans, read the posts about how nobody cares about student debt for these kids rather than losing one to the walk-on program. Both can be great decisions...just don't judge these kids when they make a choice they feel is best for them. Instead, wish them success either way.

GBR

Reactions: LZZOSO and jlb321
^^^^Case in point^^^^

They seem to be a very sensitive bunch and it only gets worse when we beat the crap out of them in football.
You didn't specify nebraska football. Most programs in the country would be 'jealous' of nebraska football. Jealous is a weird word to use, but admire, yes, of course Wyoming fans admire and appreciate what nebraska football has.

Coming from the most sensitive fan base in the country. Ha ha ha

Kirk is mean
Gameday laughed at us
Why aren't we getting any respect
Why do we have to play Friday games if Michigan doesn't.

Jeesh

Reactions: LZZOSO
Reilly, Utter, Conrad, Hahn, Foster, Dzuris & McNitt are more than just "special teams" players.

But they shouldn't be. Not one of them, with the exception of Reilly, would start at Any other current top 10 team. You don't have to like it, you just have to acknowledge it.

So your saying that a family should fork over the money for 3 plus years and hope for a perfect storm of injuries, poor recruiting and premature attrition?

That isn't what I said, not even in the same stratosphere. My initial response was directed at the special teams comment, not the money, hence why I mentioned one and not the other.

That isn't what I said, not even in the same stratosphere. My initial response was directed at the special teams comment, not the money, hence why I mentioned one and not the other.

So then reply at all? Just to point out that a few kids, whose families decided to pay for their education rather than have the kid go somewhere else for free, are getting time on the field due to a perfect storm of injuries, poor recruiting and premature attrition?

Should we list the 35 others over the last 3 years that aren't even getting special teams playing time?

As I said before, it's up to each kid and family. But cherry picking the very few who get to sniff the field at all is a bit misleading. Most kids who walk on, at places like Nebraska, rarely see the field at all.

So then reply at all? Just to point out that a few kids, whose families decided to pay for their education rather than have the kid go somewhere else for free, are getting time on the field due to a perfect storm of injuries, poor recruiting and premature attrition?

Should we list the 35 others over the last 3 years that aren't even getting special teams playing time?

As I said before, it's up to each kid and family. But cherry picking the very few who get to sniff the field at all is a bit misleading. Most kids who walk on, at places like Nebraska, rarely see the field at all.

Because his statement was, and still is, not just misleading but false as well. You don't know who's family is paying what, or if the players are paying for it themselves through other avenues.

Go ahead and list them, there's more than 35.

No shit it's up to each one, thanks for stating the obvious. I didn't cherry pick anything; someone else claims all walk-ons do is play special teams, which is false. For whatever reasons, you're looking for something that isn't there.

I knew 3 walk-ons fairly well. Two of them transferred early when they saw the writing on the wall. The 3rd was good enough to eventually practice on the "meat squad", and in extreme blowouts, get some playing time.

iirc, no financial aid, seems like they did get to register for classes earlier than the general public, and maybe Tuesday was steak night at the training table. There was no pot of gold waiting for these guys.

Seems to me like a personal financial versus emotional choice.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Because his statement was, and still is, not just misleading but false as well. You don't know who's family is paying what, or if the players are paying for it themselves through other avenues.

Go ahead and list them, there's more than 35.

No shit it's up to each one, thanks for stating the obvious. I didn't cherry pick anything; someone else claims all walk-ons do is play special teams, which is false. For whatever reasons, you're looking for something that isn't there.

The point of the whole thread is that people are taking the money and the opportunity for a better shot at playing the game and not just to be a blocking dummy on the scout team at Nebraska. You are taking what he said literally and not in the context he obviously intended. The chances of a kid getting anything more than special teams snaps at Nebraska is rare. That same kid can go elsewhere and compete for a spot. That's it. That's the whole point of the thread.

Some kids will pay their way for the dream of playing at Nebraska. Great. No one begrudges them for doing that. But when he says take the money and play more than just special teams, he is talking about the 99% who won't play more than special teams not the 1% who will. I believe it is you who is looking for something that isn't there sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT