ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming Game Review

GretnaShawn

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 28, 2010
I am going to try an continue my novice film review. Specifically watching the o-line and the d-line. Here is what I saw from the rewatch:

Game can be seen here ().

Overall, offensive line played alright. They blitzed a lot, so it made it hard on them. There were times where they dominated and there were times when they struggled. It didn't start great.

First drive – The problem with offensive lines is when one guy fails, it makes them all look bad. On the first play, Knevel gets beat across his face. Which is the worst way to get beat. One of the biggest rules in o-line play is ‘never let a man cross your face.’ This is a general rule, so if your responsibility is to block down, but a LB blitzes and comes across you, he is now your responsibility. On the 2nd and long where TA gets sacked, Wyo brought 4 guys on the right side and there were only 3 men to block them (RT, LT, and Newby out of the backfield). Tommy needs to read that and get rid of the ball way sooner. I am happy that he took that sack instead of throwing a YOLO bomb there. I will call it progress.

Second Drive – O-line looked alright. Gates got beat on a reach block (really hard play to make - but he made it later in the game a couple times). They blocked the screen to Ozigbo really well (this happened the rest of the day). Knevel was poor on a pass block. He may hurt us in the future. A RB or a TE may have to be assigned to help chip the DE on that side more often. His feet look heavy or a lack of effort. I am not sure which. Also, damn it is nice to have Reilly back. That kid can play.

Third Drive – Knevel did a nice job on the second level on the TE around to Carter. It isn’t easy to get out and maintain a block on the second level. Morgan also had a great crack-back on that play. The WRs looked to have blocked much better this game. Armstrong threw a dart to Morgan on the 3rd and 5. Nice throw.

That being said, he followed it up with the pick. Truly, I am not sure about the play design. All the o-linemen block down, the RB fakes a handoff and blocks down, a WR (Moore) runs a fake sweep and blocks down and then it is a roll out to the opposite side where the DE is left unblocked (it looks like by design) and then they send a LB. So two players are pressuring TA. Carter comes across and sits and Westerkamp runs an out. So, as far as I can tell, it looks like a roll out with a two man route. (Reilly is coming in late in the back of the end zone from the backside – so technically three receivers are out) The play didn’t fake the defense out at all. They pressured Armstrong and there was blanket coverage. Tommy needs to throw that ball away. We all know it. It was a terrible decision. Enough said on that play.

It was the tale of two Tommy’s on the next drive. The start of this drive he rolls left, squares his shoulders and throws a great ball to Moore on the sidelines. The next play he fumbles the exchange on a zone read. Which is bummer because it was just him and the safety. I like Tommy’s chances when it is him verse a safety in the run game. The next play, they run a stunt-blitz and Farmer misses the blitzing LB. Tommy eludes the rush and throws it away. Love the decision. Then a few plays later, 3rd and 4 on the 12 yard line, Armstrong has a clean pocket and he throws to a covered man. The DB makes a good break and almost picks it. Thank goodness he doesn’t. He would have had a good chance to take it to the house. Remember, the score is still on 7-0 halfway through the 2nd Q. That could have really changed the game. FG. 10-0.

On our last drive of the half, the announcer is an idiot, Carter needs to make that catch.

Our first offensive play of the half. Farmer gets burned and Ozigbo gets stuffed in the backfield. Then two inaccurate throws and a rouge fake punt and it is a bad start to the half. Especially when we follow it up with getting stiff armed and then a late hit on defense.

The offense acted like this the rest of the game. Inconsistent. The o-line, especially Knevel, needs to step it up next week. Every single one of them had plays where they got flat out beat.

*There are times where both are tackles don’t do well. Some of that is Tommy not helping them by stepping up in the pocket and some of that is them getting abused (mostly Knevel). Go to the 1:26:25 mark and watch both tackles. Especially Knevel. Ugly.

*Man did this broadcast team suck.

*We sometimes ask a lot of our TEs in the run game.

*It was really nice to see the second team o-line get some snaps. That hasn’t happened in a very long time. I saw #62 - Conrad, #54 Painter, #58 Whitaker, #79 Decker, #65 Gaylord, #76 Johnson Jr. - Surprised I did not see Barnett.

On Defense-

*Ross Dzuris may be the most underrated guy on the team. He may not be flashy, but he is in the right spot a lot and makes some really nice plays. I have been really impressed with him.

*Maurice played really well. There was a lot more rotation of the DTs this game. I saw Rath in several times.

*Freedom needs to show up more. He had a great blow by and hit on the QB on Wyoming's second drive.

*We missed too many sack opportunities. There are times where we have the QB dead to rights and he gets out of it.

*A noticeable difference between this defense and in (recent) years past is that they swarm to the football. Lots of gang tackling. That is fun to see again.

*Luckily their kicker sucked. It could have been a 1 point game going into the 4th Q, instead of a 7 point game.

*I can't believe they burned 2 timeouts to start the 2nd half.

*Overall, the score didn't show how close this game really was. They fell apart in the 4th Q and we capitalized on their mistakes. That is the difference between this year and last year so far. They held composure when it started to look like they might lose control. That is really nice to see.

Thanks for this. Totally agree on Knevel. I just got done watching the Offense's first half of Fresno in slow motion and he is clearly our worst lineman, missed blocks all over the place. I also was rather disappointed in Utter after the first half. missed some blocks that he really should have had. I was pleasantly surprised with Newby, Ozigbo and Armstrong. Newby has great vision in the zone running game. Ozigbo bailed out the line on quite a few missed blocks and is a load to bring down. Armstrong only threw 6 times one of which was called back on illegal formation. But he only had the one bad decision under pressure when he tossed it up to Westy in double coverage. The other 4 passes he made good reads and delivered good balls. He almost bailed us out with that solid throw to Moore on 2nd and 17 after Pierson El's fumble. If Moore comes down with that the game is over late 2nd quarter. I'll try and finish up the rest of Fresno and Wyoming and add what I see to the thread. Would be cool to get everyone breaking down some film instead of people just yelling generalities.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I thought Stauffer sucked. Man he was critical of Tommy. I get that Tommy has his issues but usually when a guy breaks an all time record you generally just say some nice things about him. Stauffer couldn't mention the record without also talking about the 36 int's TA has thrown. A little over the top on the negativity for me.

Reactions: Jason R Ward
Thanks for this. Totally agree on Knevel. I just got done watching the Offense's first half of Fresno in slow motion and he is clearly our worst lineman, missed blocks all over the place. I also was rather disappointed in Utter after the first half. missed some blocks that he really should have had. I was pleasantly surprised with Newby, Ozigbo and Armstrong. Newby has great vision in the zone running game. Ozigbo bailed out the line on quite a few missed blocks and is a load to bring down. Armstrong only threw 6 times one of which was called back on illegal formation. But he only had the one bad decision under pressure when he tossed it up to Westy in double coverage. The other 4 passes he made good reads and delivered good balls. He almost bailed us out with that solid throw to Moore on 2nd and 17 after Pierson El's fumble. If Moore comes down with that the game is over late 2nd quarter. I'll try and finish up the rest of Fresno and Wyoming and add what I see to the thread. Would be cool to get everyone breaking down some film instead of people just yelling generalities.

I was really down on Utter last year. He has done a little better this year. But some plays he just gets dominated. Watch Ozigbo's TD run in the Wyoming game. Utter gets blown up. I thought the o-line looked good at Fresno, A-. I think they were a C verse Wyoming. There weren't a lot of plays where every linemen was dominate at the same time. They did have some though (look at the 2:00:00 mark - that is how you block a zone read).

I thought Stauffer sucked. Man he was critical of Tommy. I get that Tommy has his issues but usually when a guy breaks an all time record you generally just say some nice things about him. Stauffer couldn't mention the record without also talking about the 36 int's TA has thrown. A little over the top on the negativity for me.

The big one to me was when Carter dropped a catch and he blamed it on Armstrong (as mentioned in the first post). Maybe it was a little fast, but that is a play we need Carter to make. It was a decent throw and the drop killed the drive.

Also, they called the teams the wrong names several times. They misspoke names, which happens, but it happened a lot and piled on the other stuff, it was terrible. One of the worst ones we've had, maybe since we were in the Big 12 with Ed Cunningham.

The big one to me was when Carter dropped a catch and he blamed it on Armstrong (as mentioned in the first post). Maybe it was a little fast, but that is a play we need Carter to make. It was a decent throw and the drop killed the drive.

Also, they called the teams the wrong names several times. They misspoke names, which happens, but it happened a lot and piled on the other stuff, it was terrible. One of the worst ones we've had, maybe since we were in the Big 12 with Ed Cunningham.
I have a hard time with the TV brodcasts. Like I mentioned. I sync game up with radio if possible. Usually works pretty good.

You gotta admit, it sounds like a few on this board. They can't overlook their biases. It's ok to talk about the play on the field. I got upset when Tommy threw the INT in the end zone. But if you saw his progression the rest of the game and he looked improved overall. I saw him throw the ball away more than once when he didn't have anyone open. He threw a few behind his receivers. Moore grabbed one and had a good gain. This team is dealing with some losses on both sides of the ball, not to mention the loss of Foltz. So, it's going to be fun to see how the staff and players adapt and grow.

We need more Cethan Carter. He needs more of the te touches Riley loves, and Cethan needs to also take advantage of them.

He's a considerable talent and involving him more would open up the run and pass considerably more.

We need more Cethan Carter. He needs more of the te touches Riley loves, and Cethan needs to also take advantage of them.

He's a considerable talent and involving him more would open up the run and pass considerably more.
Yes; he should run the ball at least twice a game also. Even if they play decent D; you try to tackle him.

I'm about halfway in the 2nd quarter. I'm still impressed with Farmer. On the long pass to Riley, Farmer has his guy cold, Knevel loses his guy and Farmer comes off his guy to chip him enough to keep him from getting a clean shot on Armstrong. If Armstrong steps up into the pocket, he could have even held it a little longer.

*There are times where both are tackles don’t do well. Some of that is Tommy not helping them by stepping up in the pocket and some of that is them getting abused (mostly Knevel). Go to the 1:26:25 mark and watch both tackles. Especially Knevel. Ugly.

The play by the tackles on that play was horrendous! They were both just killed!:eek:

Okay so I finally finished watching the Offense from the Wyoming game after taking notes on noteworthy things I saw. First some big picture stuff on some players. Tommy Armstrong is a much better quarterback than I gave him credit for, he has definitely grown from Langs' and Rileys' coaching and honestly if he can continue to improve I could see an NFL team taking a chance on him in the 5th through 7th round next April. Newby does not deserve the flack he gets from some on this board, I was very impressed with his tape from these first two games, he really has turned into a complete back. Knevel is a huge liabilty on the line. There were times he looked absolutely lost out there. Utter also has some head scratching plays. Farmer and Gates to a lesser extent look pretty raw still. This O line group will have some trouble moving forward. Here are my notes from the game.

Armstrong:

Throws off his back foot under pressure into double coverage. Is bailed out when Nebraska gets a pass interference call.

Tommy fumbles a snap on 2nd and 5. It looks like they might have been doing a silent count and Utter didn’t feel Tommy call for the ball. Armstrong appears to be leaning back before Utter snaps it.

Armstrong makes a nice pre snap read and sees the Wyoming safety backing up and hits Carter on a 10 yard curl for the first down. Pass was a little high.

1st play of 2nd series, Nebraska runs a play action pass with the fullback kicking out into the flat Riley in the slot, running an alert (go route) and Pierson-El on a slant route. The design of the play is to force Wyoming’s Will linebacker to cover 2 people at once. He can’t do this so he covers the fullback, leaving DPE open on the slant. However, Wyoming’s mike backer moves into the passing lane for a split second, Tommy hesitates, disrupting the timing of the route and it results in an incompletion. TA needed to throw the ball a split second earlier and it would have been a 10 to 15 yard gain.

Armstrong hits Newby on a nice little rub route on 3rd and 3 for the 1st down.

Under pressure after (Knevel gets beat yet again). Tommy stands in the pocket and delivers a nice ball to Riley on a cross route for a 30+ yard gain.

Makes a nice zone read, keeper, gets a nice block from Westy on his way for a touchdown

Tommy rifles a pass into Westy on a slant into a tiny window between 2 defenders and Westy helps him out with 20 YAC. NFL quality throw.

Tommy throws a jump ball in the end zone to Riley, defender makes nice play on it. Would have liked to see a back shoulder throw here

Threw a good ball to Morgan on 3rd down to pick up the first

Nebraska runs a fake fly sweep fake zone stretch play action pass, Wyoming not fooled at all no one is open, Tommy just needs to throw the ball away, instead just throws it into a crowd of defenders and Wyoming picks it off. Totally unnecessary play and it’s how TA has gotten his reputation.

Play action zone right boot left. Armstrong hits Moore on the sideline with a beautiful throw on the run for 19 yards.

Zone read play, read defender slow plays to Ozigbo and Tommy decides to keep it too late and fumbles the ball.

Armstrong makes a nice play to avoid pressure after Knevel struggles to block his man. Steps up with rather poor footwork and delivers a ball a yard behind Moore, Moore makes a beautiful grab and picks up the first down. Good footwork and a well thrown ball here and Moore scores. TA has got to improve that if he wants to be what he can be.

On 3rd and 4 in the RZ Armstrong telegraphs an out route to Cotton that the safety undercuts and drops a would-be pick 6. Drive ends with a field goal

Armstrong picks up a low snap on bubble slant pass. Gets defender to be indecisive and throws a strike to Moore for a TD on the busted coverage. Heady play by TA.

Low snap kind of throws TA off his rhythm. Wyoming blitzed, he throws off his back foot and overthrew Carter on what could have been a gasher.

3rd and 7 blitz coming TA stands in the pocket, steps into his throw and delivers a strike to Carter over the middle.

3rd and 3 Armstrong stands in, steps up, delivers a strike to Carter only for it to go right through his hands. Game capping drive over thanks to Carter.

Fake zone read bubble slant, Tommy makes the right read and has Moore wide open on the slant throws the ball low, Moore still probably should have come down with it but throw needs to be better

3rd and 10 Tommy drops back to pass and for whatever reasons rolls to his right despite good protection, Tommy throws across his body to Moore over the middle and under throws him for the incompletion. There was no need to roll out here, Armstrong needs to stay in the pocket here.

1st and 10 play action boot to the right, Armstrong throws a strike to Reilly and picks up 15

2nd and 5 Wyoming blitz, Armstrong does a nice job of standing in the pocket and stepping into his throw, but needs to throw to the hot receiver here instead of throwing to Westy in double coverage.

3rd and 5 Nebraska runs Moore on a slant and Westy on an out from the slot. Wyoming Will backer takes Westy, Armstrong makes the right read and delivers a good throw to Moore. Moore has Wyoming corner all over him and gets a defensive PI call. Good protection.

2nd and 5 Wyoming playing their safeties in so Nebraska has 1 on 1 to the outside with Stanley Morgan Jr. Armstrong makes a good read but it looks like Bryant steps into Armstrong and messes up his throwing motion. Armstrong throws a duck but Morgan makes a nice play to come back to the ball and picks up the 1st down.

1st and 10 Nebraska clears out the right sideline with a go route and Armstrong has Carter open on a crossing route it looks like there might have been a defensive lineman get in the passing lane. Regardless Armstrong misses Carter high and outside for an incompletion

2nd and 17 after the penalty Tommy hits Cotton on a sit route in traffic and Cotton straight up drops it.

1st and 10 play action pass to Reilly, Ozigbo doesn’t pick up his man in pass protection so Tommy is forced to throw it a little early. Which results in Reilly having to make a diving attempt and not being able to pull it in.

Armstrong had a pretty rocky 3rd quarter so Langs dials up a few bubbles to get Tommy in a rhythm.

3rd and 3. 3 TE’s Tommy has Gerald Foster on a little sit route over the middle. Tommy doesn’t like it and rolls left and throws a high ball to Newby on a flare which Newby pulls in to get the 1st down

1st and 10 Trips left Armstrong steps back inexplicably throws off his back foot. hits Westy on a go route. Westy gets away with an offensive PI and scores a TD.

Little play action pass after the run game has gotten going. Nothing there Tommy wisely puts the ball in the stands.

2nd and Goal Armstrong stands in with great protection and delivers a strike to Westy into a tiny window between 2 defenders for a TD. and it’s garbage time

Fyfe: Throws a go route to Gabe Rahn after he schools his defender. Fyfe under throws him and the receiver makes a nice play on the ball to score the TD.

O-Line:

1st play from scrimmage Nebraska tries a zone run play to the left and immediately Knevel gets beat across his face and the play is blown up in the backfield

Play action pass play Cotton gets blown up by 91 Knevel proceeds to block his teammate Cotton forcing Armstrong to throw off his back foot under pressure

Zone Read play Knevel is supposed to block down so Armstrong can read the end. Knevel stands around and doesn’t block anyone. Utter’s man swims Utter to the ground. Newby makes a nice play and turns nothing into 5 yards. Newby continues to impress me in the zone game.

Knevel looked absolutely lost on the first drive. QB zone to the right and Knevel double teams a blocked man and leaves 2 dbs unblocked who gang tackle Armstrong for no gain.

Wyoming runs an overload blitz with the CB and Will backer. Knevel can’t block his man so Newby stays into help him. Utter and Farmer don’t pick up the blitz and Armstrong has to take the sack.

Nebraska tries zone stretch to the left with Ozigbo. Gates and Knevel both get beat. Hahn pushes his man out of the play but since Gates got beat McNitt has to block Gates man forcing Ozigbo to run outside into Hahns man that he just took out of the play.

3rd and 18 after the sack, NE runs a fake bubble slip screen. Farmer doesn’t chip his man properly and his man gets into Armstrong’s throwing lane. Tommy has to put more air under it to get it over the lineman and Bryant can’t pull it in.

Nebraska runs a fake fly sweep slip screen. Knevel does a nice job blocking his man down, Gates stays in to protect Tommy and Utter, Farmer and Hahn get up field to set up the screen for Ozigbo which results in a huge gain.

Good blocking all around on a crafty TE reverse to Carter

Cotton gets called on an absolutely unnecessary hold. He is twice the size of the kid. Inexcusable.

QB zone to the right, Knevel again looks absolutely lost out there. He needs to get moving down field but just keeps waiting for defenders to come to him instead of driving them back into their endzone.

Play action pass Farmer and Knevel fail to pick up the blitz. Tommy makes a nice play to avoid the sack and wisely throws it away. Too bad too because we had Carter WIDE OPEN

After running a beautiful zone stretch to the right, Langs calls the same play to the left and Hahn gets obliterated by his man and Ozigbo trips over him in the backfield.

Fly Sweep with Reilley goes for about 15, wiped off the board by Nick Gates’ late hit. Feels like this O line can’t get out of their own way.

Low snap by Utter on bubble slant pass

Utter gets schooled on a 3rd and 7 and is thankfully bailed out by Newby in support

1st play 2nd half zone run up the middle Farmer gets beat and his man tackles Ozigbo in the backfield

Line seemed more cohesive and better in pass protection coming out of halftime.

Knevel does a nice job of blocking down a 1st and 10 zone run to Ozigbo that picks up 5. Good push upfront from the whole unit

2nd and 5 quick pass play, Farmer doesn’t get his hands into his man which allows him to get his hands up into the passing lane. Bryant kind of steps into Armstrong and disrupts his motion

2nd and 10 Nebraska dials up a beautiful slip screen for Newby. line does a nice job of getting out and blocking for him on his way to a TD. Carter gets flagged for a block in the back. Carter knocked him off balance and barely touches him in the back and the defender flops to get the penalty called. Not a great call at all by the official. TD gets wiped off the board.

2nd and 17 after the penalty Tommy hits Cotton on a sit route in traffic and Cotton straight up drops it.

3rd and 17 Gates and Knevel both get beat, Armstrong has nowhere to go and has to take a sack.

The line definitely looked better at times during the 2nd half, especially in pass protection. They definitely played more as a unit in the 2nd half.

1st and goal at the 1 after the lateral pass. Our entire line gets obliterated. Luckily Wyoming’s backers don’t fill properly and Ozigbo finds an unfilled gap into the endzone.

Stretch zone to the right, Hahn and Gerald Foster both get beat and their men tackle Ozigbo for a would be minimal gain, Devine drags them 3 yards to make it 2nd and 6.

Knevel is going to get Armstrong intercepted one of these days. He cannot cut his man to free up a passing lane for up a bubble to save his life.

Gates and Hahn do a nice job on a zone dive getting to the 2nd level to pick up 9 yards on 2nd down.

Qb zone Armstrong gets annihilated, late hit, not one lineman bothers to check on Armstrong, Cotton is in the pane and doesn’t even look his way. Definitely a lack of respect for Armstrong from this group.

Zone stretch, Utter gets beat after everyone else on the line hits their blocks going up against 10 men in the box and Ozigbo loses a yard on the play.

RBs:

Newby continues to impress me all around. He is getting put in a lot of bad situations by his offensive line and he is turning those bad situations into 7 yards. He also shows good hands coming out of the backfield and made some crucial blocks in blitz pick up.

Ozigbo continues to be a load to bring down. There were a few times in the game where nothing would be there and he would just plow through and get 3 or 4 yards. This really was evident in the 4th quarter when Wyoming’s guys were getting gassed.

Newby made some really nice plays in the screen game. He is by far our most complete back when it comes to running, blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield.

WRs:

We all know how well this group can catch the football but the run blocking from this group was very much improved from last week.

Alonzo Moore is really jumping off the screen. Dude could have a big time NFL career.

Westy still old reliable, but it’s really nice to see Tommy developing chemistry with Moore and Carter.

Newby does not deserve the flack he gets from some on this board, I was very impressed with his tape from these first two games, he really has turned into a complete back.

RBs:

Newby continues to impress me all around. He is getting put in a lot of bad situations by his offensive line and he is turning those bad situations into 7 yards. He also shows good hands coming out of the backfield and made some crucial blocks in blitz pick up.

Newby made some really nice plays in the screen game. He is by far our most complete back when it comes to running, blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking this.

He has been outstanding these past two games, I bought into a lot of the talk at first when I was just giving things a cursory glance, but after breaking things down my opinion of him has changed completely. He has a very patient running style which I think a lot of people misconstrue as hesitant. He is Easily one of the most underrated players on our team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him break 1000 yards this season.

Reactions: SOHusker11
He has been outstanding these past two games, I bought into a lot of the talk at first when I was just giving things a cursory glance, but after breaking things down my opinion of him has changed completely. He has a very patient running style which I think a lot of people misconstrue as hesitant. He is Easily one of the most underrated players on our team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him break 1000 yards this season.

I agree. There is a noticeable difference between this year and last year. He is hitting the hole this year. Newby and Ozigbo are a nice compliments to each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT