ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt role Next year?

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
Wyatt seems to be a productive player but always behind more talented players. Next year Devine will be gone. It looks like Washington will be the man at running back and hearing rumblings recruit Mills could step in and be the next Devine. If Wyatt can't crack the top 2 running backs could he be a good WR? I heard he got a lot of practice reps at WR this year. Looking ahead it looks like we will need more help next year at WR. Morgan will be done and Spielman is the only guy if he doesn't go NFL that is proven to be great. Need at least 1 more stud WR if not 2.

I think people just kind of need to let this one go a bit...I mean...we all sort of know WHY this kid is brought up so much...but
You mean everytime he gets the ball, he plays well? Even as the upman on special teams he's made some smart plays. He's been our best returner this year.

Reactions: Bigred511
I trust Frost will play the best guys. However, he is productive every time he plays so seems like they should figure out more ways to get him on the field.

Reactions: headcard
Has his play this year as an upback on kick returns warranted having one less scholarship in our upcoming class?

Glad he saw the field today but would like to have the extra scholarship

Has his play this year as an upback on kick returns warranted having one less scholarship in our upcoming class?

Glad he saw the field today but would like to have the extra scholarship
We're going to have a hard enough time filling our scholarships for next year. His scholarship was well deserved. Playing time is too and I hope he gets more of it.

We're going to have a hard enough time filling our scholarships for next year. His scholarship was well deserved. Playing time is too and I hope he gets more of it.

What meaningful playing time has he had this year?

Man some of you act like Mazour is an overachieving talentless player? He has good speed and runs tough. He has played more than other recruited players and has been productive when given a chance.
This is true.

Man some of you act like Mazour is an overachieving talentless player? He has good speed and runs tough. He has played more than other recruited players and has been productive when given a chance.

He’s super talented. But most programs do not award scholarships to underclassman walk ons unless they play meaningful minutes outside of special teams.

Mazour is on scholarship now, I believe. Wasn’t he one of the guys that got scholarships at the beginning of the year?

He’s super talented. But most programs do not award scholarships to underclassman walk ons unless they play meaningful minutes outside of special teams.
Who else was going to use that scholarship?

Who else was going to use that scholarship?

A senior walk on. Or you save the scholarship in order to take a bigger class this year.

If you are below the scholarship limit you give the scholarship to a senior walk-on so it doesn’t count against your numbers next year.

Who? Whose spot would he take?

If he was from Chicago and not a walk-on there would not be the love fest.

if he played well, sure. Plenty of backups who get a lot of love when they play well. Just because he's a walk-on doesn't mean he can't have great acceleration, decisive cuts and runs hard.

Those last 3 things are why people talk about him.

Reactions: oldjar07
Wyatt seems to be a productive player but always behind more talented players. Next year Devine will be gone. It looks like Washington will be the man at running back and hearing rumblings recruit Mills could step in and be the next Devine. If Wyatt can't crack the top 2 running backs could he be a good WR? I heard he got a lot of practice reps at WR this year. Looking ahead it looks like we will need more help next year at WR. Morgan will be done and Spielman is the only guy if he doesn't go NFL that is proven to be great. Need at least 1 more stud WR if not 2.
Remember Held saying when their offense is at its best, they play 3-4 running backs. I don’t see Wyatt replacing Morgan. Not the same kind of player. I would personally like to see him and Miles Jones take some reps at DB. Their athleticism could be helpful there.

if he played well, sure. Plenty of backups who get a lot of love when they play well. Just because he's a walk-on doesn't mean he can't have great acceleration, decisive cuts and runs hard.

Those last 3 things are why people talk about him.

He isn’t a walk-on. He is a former walk-on - therein lies some of the criticism

Last edited:
Guarantee that if Mazour was not a former walk on and Neb kid we would not keep hearing all the bluster about him. He is a pretty good player but he is not on the Washington or Ozigbo level!

Guarantee that if Mazour was not a former walk on and Neb kid we would not keep hearing all the bluster about him. He is a pretty good player but he is not on the Washington or Ozigbo level!

No, not really. Mazour has good speed, great acceleration, makes decisive cuts and finishes his runs hard. Most Nebraska fans can recognize that the kid can play - regardless of how he started his career here and whether or not he got a scholie to start. He's the kind of guy that could be a starter at a solid MAC program - for us he's a nice luxury to have as he can also play a hybrid spot

Ozigbo wasn't all that good to start the year, nor was Washington. They've improved (as the OL and offense overall has improved!). I don't think the gap between Washington's current play and Mazour is as big as you think at all.

No, not really. Mazour has good speed, great acceleration, makes decisive cuts and finishes his runs hard. Most Nebraska fans can recognize that the kid can play - regardless of how he started his career here and whether or not he got a scholie to start. He's the kind of guy that could be a starter at a solid MAC program - for us he's a nice luxury to have as he can also play a hybrid spot

Ozigbo wasn't all that good to start the year, nor was Washington. They've improved (as the OL and offense overall has improved!). I don't think the gap between Washington's current play and Mazour is as big as you think at all.

I've heard plenty of pining for Wilbon over the past couple of years and he's neither white nor a walk on. Sure Mazour is a great story but Husker fans see his production when he's had opportunities.

Reactions: HuskerWisdom
I trust Frost will play the best guys. However, he is productive every time he plays so seems like they should figure out more ways to get him on the field.
He has always been productive in the spring game and against teams like BC. He is wahat he is, a Nebraska kid that works hard loves the Cornhuskers and will inspire .A program guy that is an under dog that Husker fans love to cheer for. Not sure that he will rise above that with RB talent that is coming next year.

Ummm, I don't think so at all. We are going to fill every scholarship and will be looking for ways to sign more.
This. I count 38 scholarship holdovers (including Mazour and Weinmaster, walkons given schollys by Frost) from the prior staff. It is likely there will be more attrition among these 38 spots. Huge roster turnover and the remainders will be those who are much more likely to contribute in the coming couple of seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT