ADVERTISEMENT

WTF is up with that new goalline formation?

What was the formation exactly?

asking a slow TE to cross the entire formation and block a free rusher on the opposite side of the play is the dumbest sh!t I've ever seen.

we ran this exact formation 5 more times on the goal line (all for no or negative gains) when Luke threw his interception later.

We weren’t able to run right at them, which isn’t a new problem. Mills was stuffed for a loss in short yardage/goal line situations multiple times Saturday. AM running behind Mills has been about our only answer in short yardage. Since we couldn’t run at them we needed to use Wandale on the sweep or run some option, instead we tried whatever the hell that was.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Look at the blocking on this play - complete breakdown.
2-3 guys at the point of attack completely unblocked.

asking a slow TE to cross the entire formation and block a free rusher on the opposite side of the play is the dumbest sh!t I've ever seen.

we ran this exact formation 5 more times on the goal line (all for no or negative gains) when Luke threw his interception later.

It is called the “ we can’t score” formation.

Look at the blocking on this play - complete breakdown.
2-3 guys at the point of attack completely unblocked.

There was some good second-level blocking at that play. If Mills hadn't been buried under four defenders, he had a clear lane to the stadium tunnel and probably could have taken it all the way to the locker room!

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
That looks like a busted play rather than the design or intentional. Still not acceptable, but it didn't look like anyone know what they were supposed to do.

yes ... horrible execution
Sound design is worthless if you are not capable of teaching (coaching) said design

The next play was Luke's int....we ran the same quick pass play earlier with AM and LB batted down the quick pass....which is dumb that we called that play near the goal line with even less space/crowded area.....

The pistol formation? We have used it before. On the two plays in question (I think) there was a comedy of errors. Bring the TE across the formation to block or go on a route is pretty standard and is actually not a difficult block unless there is a hard blitz. You are keeping the outside pursuit from coming down the line. On the other with Luke, the right tackle goes right to the Middle LB leaving the OLB and the DE totally unblocked. That was a major blown assignment or line call. Also a couple of times Luke would have done better to pull it and go upfield.

Nothing wrong with the formation, the execution was extremely horrible.

Last edited:
That looks like a busted play rather than the design or intentional. Still not acceptable, but it didn't look like anyone know what they were supposed to do.
That's what I'm thinking too. Somebody missed their assignment

That's what I'm thinking too. Somebody missed their assignment

83, the TE, I believe.

We pussy footed around last year with this kind of bullshit. Most effective thing we did was run Adrian. I'd rather we get in the I with Mills at FB and Scott at IB.

83, the TE, I believe.

We pussy footed around last year with this kind of bullshit. Most effective thing we did was run Adrian. I'd rather we get in the I with Mills at FB and Scott at IB.
Agree - then we will be able to criticize Scott on his IB play in addition to his coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBeav815
I'm not sure I've ever seen a team so focused on taking out every defender who had little or no chance of making the tackle, while running right at all the unblocked defenders.

Agree, I think this. This play May have a zone read option
I'm certain you are correct, but there were still a bunch of completely wasted blocks. You don't need great second-level and weakside blocking to get 2 yards.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team so focused on taking out every defender who had little or no chance of making the tackle, while running right at all the unblocked defenders.
Agree, which is why I think it was a busted play.

I actually think the pistol formation should be our bread and butter. It removes some of the risk from the shotgun, allowing more downhill running. At the same time, it offers some of the benefit of the shotgun to be a step back and see the defensive formation before the snap.

TO said the future of his option offense was to be more of a spread evolution of it. I think pistol does that without sacrificing too much of the importance of the downhill running game.

This is just bad coaching. A - why would you ever fake jet sweep with Warner? B - made the wrong read, but probably at the coaches direction.

It looked like a misdirection play, which we have run for big gains before. Should it be used on the goal line? Probably not. But if Luke makes the right read he has a one on one at the goal line, (that’s a TD) or can pitch/throw to the sweep guy (Fleming?) out wide. Seems like we make a TON of bad reads in the option game, both quarterbacks, for the past 2 years. Adrian’s freshman year continues to make less and less sense.

made the wrong read, but probably at the coaches direction.
But if Luke makes the right read he has a one on one at the goal line, (that’s a TD) or can pitch/throw to the sweep guy (Fleming?) out wide. Seems like we make a TON of bad reads in the option game, both quarterbacks, for the past 2 years.
I think these are called plays and not reads.

Fullback trap would have been great here. Of course, you need to be under center and nobody does that anymore.

Looks to me 83 Voklec went the wrong way and McCaffery is pointing it out to him..
Somebody's got to. Good on Luke for doing so.

Imagine if he got all the snaps with the 1's for a whole week and then started the whole game. Leadership could really emerge for a change. Dudes just so competitive he will surely bring out the best from those around him, whether they're grade A talent or not.

Looks to me 83 Voklec went the wrong way and McCaffery is pointing it out to him..

Yes, it looks like 83 was supposed to take the defensive end. RB is lined up for straight ahead dive and the read is the LB behind the DE who started moving outside before the snap based on the motion.

Where's the "speed with power" as Frost has mentioned. Every time i see us in the shotgun on the 3 yard line I want to punch out some drywall.
Me too, I should probably start watching the games in my garage and hang a heavy bag in the corner. By the end of the game I will be worn out from a good workout

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT