ADVERTISEMENT

WTF are my Chiefs doing?????

About to sign Trent Williams. Are we still doubting the Chiefs?
Doubt if the Chiefs are going to give $20M/year to a 32 year old tackle. That'd wipe out almost all of their cap space in one signing. There will be cheaper options.
Now if Trent Williams want to take a discount to have a chance at a Super Bowl, sign him up! But he's looking for a big payday to cap his career, so that'll likely price him out of the Chiefs.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Doubt if the Chiefs are going to give $20M/year to a 32 year old tackle. That'd wipe out almost all of their cap space in one signing. There will be cheaper options.
Now if Trent Williams want to take a discount to have a chance at a Super Bowl, sign him up! But he's looking for a big payday to cap his career, so that'll likely price him out of the Chiefs.

I went looking at that after his post that I liked and just did not understand how the Chiefs can afford him but was hoping they could somehow after he posted that....discount to try and get a ring seems unlikely with him but I hope i'm wrong. That is going to be his last contract so it would be hard for me to tell him to do that but hopefully he has been smart with his money and will play for less now.

I went looking at that after his post that I liked and just did not understand how the Chiefs can afford him but was hoping they could somehow after he posted that....discount to try and get a ring seems unlikely with him but I hope i'm wrong. That is going to be his last contract so it would be hard for me to tell him to do that but hopefully he has been smart with his money and will play for less now.
Great player, but the injury obviously and he has been a bit of a drama queen when in DC. Do the Chiefs need elite at that position or above average?

Eric Fisher was getting paid a lot of money to be an average starting tackle. He also tore his achilles in the AFC championship game and likely isn't going to play at all this season. Schwartz is 32 and missed every game after week 6 with a back injury, and had back surgery this offseason. They saved about $22 million in cap space with these moves. Gonna be interesting to see how they replace them.

I read in the Star that they restructured Mahomes contract to free up another $17M.

I read in the Star that they restructured Mahomes contract to free up another $17M.
They did, but prior to that they were still way over the cap and needed to make a lot of corrections. They'll need to tweak the honey badger and probably Frank Clark

I don't get the salary cap....everyone says everyone is over it, then we see this. I don't get it, but I'm happy with this fo show!!!!!!!
I don't understand it either but I keep hearing that they can structure new contracts and payments in a way that reduces their impact on the cap. I don't know for sure if signing bonuses are included in the cap or not. My impression is that if they structure them right they aren't. I'm sure there are several attorneys and accountants who make a lot of money for each team trying to massage the contracts and numbers to make them work.

I don't understand it either but I keep hearing that they can structure new contracts and payments in a way that reduces their impact on the cap. I don't know for sure if signing bonuses are included in the cap or not. My impression is that if they structure them right they aren't. I'm sure there are several attorneys and accountants who make a lot of money for each team trying to massage the contracts and numbers to make them work.

I LOVED to hear that Mahomes restructered his contract a little...buys one more good player and you're still generational wealthy.... and a total stud, more so in the eyes of the fans even. I think he and the Chiefs are a perfect match and I love being a Chief fan right now.

I LOVED to hear that Mahomes restructered his contract a little...buys one more good player and you're still generational wealthy.... and a total stud, more so in the eyes of the fans even. I think he and the Chiefs are a perfect match and I love being a Chief fan right now.
wish I could say the same about being a Vikings fan. I've had several teams since I was very young that I rooted for but have been a Vikings fan for most of my adult life. Never the Chiefs for some reason. Mahomes is a very easy player to root for. I was happy for Brady and the Huskers on that Buc team but felt bad for the abuse Mahomes took. He took some shots from the Bucs that were a little beyond clean hard play IMO.

wish I could say the same about being a Vikings fan. I've had several teams since I was very young that I rooted for but have been a Vikings fan for most of my adult life. Never the Chiefs for some reason. Mahomes is a very easy player to root for. I was happy for Brady and the Huskers on that Buc team but felt bad for the abuse Mahomes took. He took some shots from the Bucs that were a little beyond clean hard play IMO.

When they moved on from Mr.500 in Keenum to bring in Mr.500 Cousins but for upmteeen times the price I knew they would be.....well......500

Waste of a good D to

They should just assign ownership stake to Mahomes in lieu of cash money.

I suspect Trent Williams went out and got himself a really serious financial advisor ten minutes after he spent $150k for a silverback gorilla chain in 2011. <sarcasm>
Screen%2BShot%2B2013-01-28%2Bat%2B1.51.49%2BPM.png

Restructures are almost always (maybe always?) good for the player. They take the base salary for the current year and convert it to signing bonus. The signing bonus is paid immediately, but the cap hit is spread across the remaining years of the contract.

So, for example, if a player has a five year contract for $5m per year (5/5/5/5/5 against the cap), and the team restructures the first year, the player still gets the same money, but the cap hit becomes 1/6/6/6/6. There may be some additional rules about minimum salaries, duration of spreading signing bonus, and so on, but that’s the gist of it.

Restructures are basically always good for the player (they get the money now instead of later) and let teams kick the cap hits down the road to later seasons, when the cap will almost certainly be much higher. In fact, often teams don’t even need player permission to restructure because there’s no downside. Eventually the bill comes due, but that’s when extensions come into play...

Restructures are almost always (maybe always?) good for the player. They take the base salary for the current year and convert it to signing bonus. The signing bonus is paid immediately, but the cap hit is spread across the remaining years of the contract.

So, for example, if a player has a five year contract for $5m per year (5/5/5/5/5 against the cap), and the team restructures the first year, the player still gets the same money, but the cap hit becomes 1/6/6/6/6. There may be some additional rules about minimum salaries, duration of spreading signing bonus, and so on, but that’s the gist of it.

Restructures are basically always good for the player (they get the money now instead of later) and let teams kick the cap hits down the road to later seasons, when the cap will almost certainly be much higher. In fact, often teams don’t even need player permission to restructure because there’s no downside. Eventually the bill comes due, but that’s when extensions come into play...
Restructures....that is the way Veach sets up contracts, to make if very easy to restructure as needed, players are very for this very thing, more guaranteed money in their pockets. Its a beautiful thing! As you stated.....the cap limit keeps going up every year, unfortunately it went down this year, but next year it is projected low 200s. Everyone talks about how Tom Brady restructures, I want to point out one thing........HIS WIFE IS WORTH 100s of millions of dollars that well.

@litespeedhuskerfan

This is a good breakdown. While I think a "restructure" is usually good for the player, it depends what kind of actual non-injury-guaranteed money is at stake. Sometimes it is "restructure with us or we will just cut you." The third and fourth year of a contract is very very rarely guaranteed unless you are a mega star... and even then you can't just be a pro bowler. Look at Todd Gurley, he signed a "huge deal" but was cut after one season.

This video has some good detail:

Reactions: TFrazier
Restructures....that is the way Veach sets up contracts, to make if very easy to restructure as needed, players are very for this very thing, more guaranteed money in their pockets. Its a beautiful thing! As you stated.....the cap limit keeps going up every year, unfortunately it went down this year, but next year it is projected low 200s. Everyone talks about how Tom Brady restructures, I want to point out one thing........HIS WIFE IS WORTH 100s of millions of dollars that well.

@litespeedhuskerfan

Is this an attempt to diminish Brady taking les than he's worth his entire career for the good of the team and put the organization in the best spot to win championships? Have you ever considered the fact Brady is the most competitive guy out there by all accounts (you know how dedicated he trains in off season right?)) and that most men would want to make as much as they could if their wife was the bread winner, especially competitive guys, to shorten the gap, yet he willingly takes less, and what makes you think he considers her money his? I know people in marriages with entirely separate finances...what good does her money do him if they ever divorce?

I don't get the salary cap....everyone says everyone is over it, then we see this. I don't get it, but I'm happy with this fo show!!!!!!!
Is this an attempt to diminish Brady taking les than he's worth his entire career for the good of the team and put the organization in the best spot to win championships? Have you ever considered the fact Brady is the most competitive guy out there by all accounts (you know how dedicated he trains in off season right?)) and that most men would want to make as much as they could if their wife was the bread winner, especially competitive guys, to shorten the gap, yet he willingly takes less, and what makes you think he considers her money his? I know people in marriages with entirely separate finances...what good does her money do him if they ever divorce?
Sorry to step on your Brady toes. I was just pointing out that fact. Yes, he has been vastly underpaid. It just makes it easier to take less money with that situation.

This is a good breakdown. While I think a "restructure" is usually good for the player, it depends what kind of actual non-injury-guaranteed money is at stake. Sometimes it is "restructure with us or we will just cut you." The third and fourth year of a contract is very very rarely guaranteed unless you are a mega star... and even then you can't just be a pro bowler. Look at Todd Gurley, he signed a "huge deal" but was cut after one season.

This video has some good detail:

Thanks for sharing that video. I enjoyed watching it.

Sorry to step on your Brady toes. I was just pointing out that fact. Yes, he has been vastly underpaid. It just makes it easier to take less money with that situation.
He's got all the money in the world, hot wife, trophies, and GOAT. I'm sure it's not difficult for him to get close to some of the best investment people in the world and turn those millions into billions.

Reactions: Rowdyroddy69
Mahomes signed for more than I was hoping for. He might be worth it...but this is what happens when QB's are set to make so much. He had a great view on how the GOAT handled such things....guess he decided that style wasn't for him.
And Mahomes doesn’t have a wife who makes $100 million a year. Don’t blame him for taking the Max contract. You would too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT