ADVERTISEMENT

WTF are my Chiefs doing?????

JIM122.gif

I believe was was going to retire. I heard the other was an achilles injury and was going to be out most of the year. still, not ideal. Definitely need to draft OLine.

Mahomes signed for more than I was hoping for. He might be worth it...but this is what happens when QB's are set to make so much. He had a great view on how the GOAT handled such things....guess he decided that style wasn't for him.

to be fair ... Brady’s wife’s net worth is by some estimates double TBs.

Makes it a heck of a lot easier to leave some scraps on the table

Reactions: TailDragger99
to be fair ... Brady’s wife’s net worth is by some estimates double TBs.

Makes it a heck of a lot easier to leave some scraps on the table

Everyone's idea of generational money varies i'm sure...but there comes a point when you really have to try and spend as much as some of these guys are going to make in just one season with some of these deals...you'd think they could manage to scrape by for a little less in exchange for a better roster. Love Mahomes but if he gets blindsided by a guy because he doesn't have his left tackle and gets hurt I will laugh at him.

Eric Fisher was getting paid a lot of money to be an average starting tackle. He also tore his achilles in the AFC championship game and likely isn't going to play at all this season. Schwartz is 32 and missed every game after week 6 with a back injury, and had back surgery this offseason. They saved about $22 million in cap space with these moves. Gonna be interesting to see how they replace them.

Mahomes’s cap hit this year is not in the top 10 among quarterbacks. It’s not that he’s taking all the money. Both tackles were risks to even play next season, and at some point they needed to get younger and cheaper on the line. The reduced cap was going to be a problem anyway, so might as well bite the bullet and start retooling now. They get back two guys who opted out last year and will immediately slot in at tackle and guard, so now they need to find another tackle either through the draft or FA.

Reactions: Seascout3 and WHCSC
Eric Fisher was getting paid a lot of money to be an average starting tackle. He also tore his achilles in the AFC championship game and likely isn't going to play at all this season. Schwartz is 32 and missed every game after week 6 with a back injury, and had back surgery this offseason. They saved about $22 million in cap space with these moves. Gonna be interesting to see how they replace them.
Business is Business. Sounds like solid moves to me. I don't know what's available via free agency but I'd imagine every tackle would love to pass block for Mahomes. You can throw about 6 whiff blocks a game and still not give up a sack.

The Chiefs were a lot over the cap, and now they're a little over the cap. There'd been talk of releasing Fisher for a while now, even before the injury, due to his large cap number this year. And just because they're released doesn't mean they won't be playing for the Chiefs next year.
They do get back that one OG from their Super Bowl championship who skipped last year to work as a doctor. And in the 2020 draft they picked a tackle in the 3rd round (Lucas Niang) who sat out last year for Covid (and rehab on surgery while in college). He's healthy now and the chiefs are high on him. But they do lack proven tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if they landed a free agent at tackle, maybe even one of the 2 guys they released.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Everyone's idea of generational money varies i'm sure...but there comes a point when you really have to try and spend as much as some of these guys are going to make in just one season with some of these deals...you'd think they could manage to scrape by for a little less in exchange for a better roster. Love Mahomes but if he gets blindsided by a guy because he doesn't have his left tackle and gets hurt I will laugh at him.

i agree ... however it isn't up to the players to try determine how a team is going to allocate it's money within the salary cap -- that is the job of the GM/president and owner

Mahomes and his agent determined what his market level was and negotiated accordingly
the current market level has been set by the leagues GMs/presidents/owners by what they are paying for franchise QBs

if the an NFL teams front office feel they can better field a team from a business standpoint by reassessing what they pay the QB position then nothing is stopping them from adopting this model

are you better off paying less for a mid tier QB and reallocating those monies elsewhere? That is a decision for NFL front offices to decide not individual players - particularly when contracts aren't guaranteed in the NFL

why would you pay a couple players a whole lotta money when they very likely wont be available next year to play?
this was expected and considered a positive move in KC

I guess I was higher on Fisher than a lot of other fans I guess.

Hope it all works out for em and it is hard to complain about the Chiefs handling of the draft and roster last 5 years.

I guess I was higher on Fisher than a lot of other fans I guess.

Hope it all works out for em and it is hard to complain about the Chiefs handling of the draft and roster last 5 years.
I think if any Chiefs fan underestimated the importance of Fisher and Schwartz that they Super Bowl showed them what they were missing. It's impossible to have a high powered offense without a top offensive line. Fisher wasn't great, but he was a good player who handled the LT spot for years, and that's certainly a critical position in the NFL. In a poor draft class, I think the pick of Fisher at the top of that draft holds up.

IDK...Andy always seems to field decent OL's even without the high profile guys. The SB was an exception.

There’s always a breaking point. For the 2020 chiefs o-line, that point appeared to be the loss of 4 of 5 projected starters as well as their expected swing tackle between injuries and COVID.

Reactions: headcard
The Chiefs breaking point was running into the GOAT on a team with a ton of studs. I don't think the outcome would have been that much different if the two tackles had played. Closer, yes, but Brady gonna Brady that day.

The Chiefs breaking point was running into the GOAT on a team with a ton of studs. I don't think the outcome would have been that much different if the two tackles had played. Closer, yes, but Brady gonna Brady that day.
Yub, except when he runs into the buzzsaw that is Nick Foles.
Super Bowl LII
PHI 41 NE 33

I had "minor" surgery on my Achilles when I was in college and that was the most painful part of the my recovery from reconstructive ankle surgery. I weighed probably 210 lbs. I cannot imagine trying to rehab an Achilles injury significantly more severe than mine while weighing 100 lbs more. It took me probably 20 to 24 months to really feel like myself again.

Hope Fisher makes a quick recovery but it's honestly a no-brainer from a roster standpoint. No one will likely sign him this offseason anyway so they'll probably have the opportunity to give him a look when he's had a chance to rehab a year from now.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
That's football. Riley Reid is available. So is Trent Williams, Taylor Moton, Daryl Williams and Alejandro Villanueva. They'll likely be better at the position. They need a number 2 wide receiver.

Schwartz has a lingering back injury. Probably won’t be ready by beginning of season if at all. Fisher has a torn achilles and won’t be ready to go. Can’t afford to pay close to $20 million for 2 inactive tackles. The kid from TCU is supposed to be next up at RT. I’m hearing he could be a stud. LT is going to get filled by a free agent most likely. Osemele will return. He’s very good. Duvernay-Tardif will be back at RG. He’s very good. They will figure out their LT situation.

Reactions: drubendall
And now they have restructured the Mahomes deal and have $17 mill saved in cap space. Never doubt the Chiefs.

Reactions: WHCSC
That's football. Riley Reid is available. So is Trent Williams, Taylor Moton, Daryl Williams and Alejandro Villanueva. They'll likely be better at the position. They need a number 2 wide receiver.
What's Riley Reid gonna do for the chiefs????

Going to be some teams cutting some decent players that they probably would rather not for salary cap issue reasons with the large decrease in the cap this year.
True. Top tier players are looking to get paid, but this is not the year to break the bank. Hopefully the Chiefs land Williams and can then get by with mid-level lineman and rookies.

ADVERTISEMENT