ADVERTISEMENT

WR’s

Well from what D. Benning said it's discipline issues with both Manning and Fleming. Said Manning was not injured at all but also added that he doesn't see Nance or Houston seeing the field anytime soon as well.

All I know is N seems like the only place big time recruits have to fight off walk-ons all the time. There has to be some give and take on both ends or we'll never get over the hump. Even TO knew that...
Discipline my ass... get your best players on the field

Well from what D. Benning said it's discipline issues with both Manning and Fleming. Said Manning was not injured at all but also added that he doesn't see Nance or Houston seeing the field anytime soon as well.

All I know is N seems like the only place big time recruits have to fight off walk-ons all the time. There has to be some give and take on both ends or we'll never get over the hump. Even TO knew that...
I don't understand Nance and Houston. Stone hands? What is it?

Reactions: Redblood23
Manning wasn't even practicing with the team at times according to reports. You can't just skip practice and play at this level. Hopefully things are sorted out going forward.

And how about Nance and Houston? Or did Frost/Walters completely whiff on those two?

We aren’t winning the division any time soon with our current two deep at WR. Lubick and Frost can think it’s cute to run out at many walk ons as possible at that position and the L’s will continue to rack up

And how about Nance and Houston? Or did Frost/Walters completely whiff on those two?

We aren’t winning the division any time soon with our current two deep at WR. Lubick and Frost can think it’s cute to run out at many walk ons as possible at that position and the L’s will continue to rack up
Definitely a concern I wish I had the answer.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Wasn’t a dropped ball. Marines through an 80 mph heater to Warner 3 yards away from him. Most NFL receivers couldn’t have brought that down. AMs fault on that play.
Wasn’t a dropped ball. Marines through an 80 mph heater to Warner 3 yards away from him. Most NFL receivers couldn’t have brought that down. AMs fault on that play.
Hey BleedRed...see you laughing at another post. Just curious who would you take as a starting receiving Corp? Let’s take the 94 NC team that threw it about 10 times a game (twice I believe against KSU...both screen passes to LP). Abdul Mohammed, Clester Johnson and Reggie Baul or today’s lineup (in a more pass heavy offense) with Warner, Robinson and some random guy from SD? I’d choose the first group every day. As you go to bed behind your Rivals “nickname” please remember that I forgot more about Neb FB since my last piss than you’ve ever known about them in your life. I love to laugh too. And you are one funny dude. Night.

I liked both because I think both are true. Shit ball from a big time D1 quarterback, but it should have still been caught.
Would have been a great catch. But...it was “catchable” I guess. But a lot of fire on it. Un-necessary. There’s something they call “touch”.

Not having Nance, Houston, Fleming, Hicks, Brown, Manning, Betts is bizarre. Hope the media presses Frost on this.
Our starting wideouts sans Robinson wouldn’t see the field in Osborne’s best offenses...when we ran option and passed it 8 times a game. Even then we had more WR talent.
Hey BleedRed...see you laughing at another post. Just curious who would you take as a starting receiving Corp? Let’s take the 94 NC team that threw it about 10 times a game (twice I believe against KSU...both screen passes to LP). Abdul Mohammed, Clester Johnson and Reggie Baul or today’s lineup (in a more pass heavy offense) with Warner, Robinson and some random guy from SD? I’d choose the first group every day. As you go to bed behind your Rivals “nickname” please remember that I forgot more about Neb FB since my last piss than you’ve ever known about them in your life. I love to laugh too. And you are one funny dude. Night.

You can't just skip practice and play at this level.
Sorry, this is such a load of crap. We’ve had nothing but great practices every week the last 3 years and here we are.

The guy has what cannot be coached.

Put him out there, have him run up the sideline, and throw it to him when he’s single covered.

He can learn the plays later. They should tailor plays specifically for him until then.

Sorry, this is such a load of crap. We’ve had nothing but great practices every week the last 3 years and here we are.

Put him out there, have him run up the sideline, and throw it to him when he’s single covered.

He can learn the plays later. They should tailor plays specifically for him until then.
This is pure message board nonsense. He got suspended bc he didn't show up, Frost has an entire program to run. Manning may be the most talented player on the team but he has to buy in. As for the other WR, I don't know, Frost needs to answer some questions.

Agree Rambo. Need to get our talent out there now and have them start learning. Outside of Martinez, Mcaffery, Robinson and Mills (although he’s not elite he’s good)...name one other playmaker that got involved today for the Neb offense. Man...we could sure use Mo Washington and Speilman now...oh but I forgot they weren’t good “cultural fits” but somehow years ago Devaney and TO figured out how to integrate non cultural fits like Rodgers (robbed a gas station) and Lawrence Phillips into successful offenses/teams. As a leader you need to adapt to the person, circumstances, values etc.

This is pure message board nonsense. He got suspended bc he didn't show up, Frost has an entire program to run. Manning may be the most talented player on the team but he has to buy in. As for the other WR, I don't know, Frost needs to answer some questions.
When you’re 6’4”, 230, you might get preferential treatment.

I don’t think that’s some far out mystery to anyone in the locker room.

Put him out there and throw it to him! Nobody pays to see practice. If he makes it happen in games, live with it. If he doesn’t, move on.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
The issue of play making receivers obviously needs to be addressed, but so does our scheme! Our pass offense is archaic! Besides, I don’t think they trust Martinez to make the throws he needs to make! Today he wouldn’t have had time to make those throws.

It's a bit telling that he was head and shoulders our best WR -- goes to TCU -- and is buried in that program, 5 catches through 4 games.

I don't understand how this program can't attract and develop a good wideout.

Careful if you point that out people will getad at you.

The issue of play making receivers obviously needs to be addressed, but so does our scheme! Our pass offense is archaic! Besides, I don’t think they trust Martinez to make the throws he needs to make! Today he wouldn’t have had time to make those throws.
Last year it was the bubble screen. Today...it was the QB draw. Damn that can be a good play if you don’t run it 17 times a game. 1) it’s going to get our QBs hurt and 2) it’s going to lead to turnovers as both need to learn how to carry the ball when running. Variety. Let’s use our imagination. A play can be a good thing until it becomes predictable.

Seems as if Frost expects every WR to know the entire playbook by heart before he plays them. Of you have talented kids that are playmakers, put them in the field and let them run a few plays they do know. You never know what kid is going to make that huge play.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I said the same thing. The moment I heard "we can't tell the difference between a scholarship WR and a walk on WR" I knew this was coming. I knew then they were gonna trot that out there and we're trying to get us "prepared" for it if you read in between the lines.

I didn't like it then and don't like it now. But it is what it is. They are gonna have to decide sooner or later is it better to be a good practice player and know all the plays. OR can we get a couple guys on the field who know JUST ENOUGH to perform a special skill that could learn as they play.

Holla

I mean is it so difficult to find an Isaiah Fluellen on this roster??? For those who don’t remember, he was a one trick pony. Only ran one play to perfection. He ran a post play deep and caught it every time. I guess we’re too busy with swing passes.

Not having Nance, Houston, Fleming, Hicks, Brown, Manning, Betts is bizarre. Hope the media presses Frost on this.

Nebraska media won’t challenge him imo. I like Frosty but the failure at wide receiver is on him. He’s gotta find ways to get those guys involved and on the field. If he can’t due to character issues then he/Walters completely shat the bed. Can’t pin this one Chins

Last edited:
Reactions: KG_Skers
Having walk-ons at WR was a nice idea back in the 80s and 90s

Yep - we need pure-play scholarship receivers on field. Walk ons are great and we love ‘em. But in 2020, you’re not winning with them if they are atop your depth chart.
Well the problem isn't walk ons IMO. We have some highly rated (4 star) scholarship receivers on our roster and with the exception of Wandale they just haven't shown up on the field. Where's Omar and Betts for example? Where's Houston? Other teams have newcomers playing like stars. Ours are no where to be seen.

I can’t believe we didn’t see any of these guys on the field except we knew Manning wasn’t making the trip..

Very concerning moving forward this season that none of these players making on to the field in some kind of capacity..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Last year it was the bubble screen. Today...it was the QB draw. Damn that can be a good play if you don’t run it 17 times a game. 1) it’s going to get our QBs hurt and 2) it’s going to lead to turnovers as both need to learn how to carry the ball when running. Variety. Let’s use our imagination. A play can be a good thing until it becomes predictable.
Think we stole Taysom Hills playbook.

Think we stole Taysom Hills playbook.

If no receiver besides Wan’Dale is going to step up, we need to move McCaffrey to wide out ASAP. His father was a stud and his older brother played that position at Duke. The kid is a gamer and is good anywhere on the field. If he has aspirations to play pro I think he’s going to have to make that position move.

Reactions: headcard
If no receiver besides Wan’Dale is going to step up, we need to move McCaffrey to wide out ASAP. His father was a stud and his older brother played that position at Duke. The kid is a gamer and is good anywhere on the field. If he has aspirations to play pro I think he’s going to have to make that position move.
He’s built more like his dad and looks a bit like a Nate Swift mold.

Reactions: CatColumbia
We should move our best qb to starting qb, in my opinion.

The dearth of wr is pathetic, but we could have all-pros at every position and I suspect we still wouldn’t push the ball downfield simply because AM is incapable.

Reactions: TheNewNU
We should move our best qb to starting qb, in my opinion.

The dearth of wr is pathetic, but we could have all-pros at every position and I suspect we still wouldn’t push the ball downfield simply because AM is incapable.

Being fair we haven’t seen Luke M. throw any passes vertical down the field either because we only have one guy that has the speed that’s playing right now to do so..

Besides Rondale this offense needs someone to step up that can stretch the field, who is that receiver going to be? Brown, Fleming, Betts is Manning even going to contribute this season if ever?

Reactions: CatColumbia
Seems as if Frost expects every WR to know the entire playbook by heart before he plays them. Of you have talented kids that are playmakers, put them in the field and let them run a few plays they do know. You never know what kid is going to make that huge play.
I’ve wondered the same thing. Seems we called a pretty limited game anyway, so no reason new guys can’t learn some packages and play for those packages... a minor planning inconvenience for coaches.
As much as learning plays, I think it boils down to blocking and catching ability.

Reactions: WHCSC
Well the problem isn't walk ons IMO. We have some highly rated (4 star) scholarship receivers on our roster and with the exception of Wandale they just haven't shown up on the field. Where's Omar and Betts for example? Where's Houston? Other teams have newcomers playing like stars. Ours are no where to be seen.

Seems like this has been a problem for 20 years through 4 coaching staffs now.....either something is fundamentally flawed at Nebraska no matter who is in charge, or the coaches know more than the fans who only see games?

Being fair we haven’t seen Luke M. throw any passes vertical down the field either because we only have one guy that has the speed that’s playing right now to do so..

Besides Rondale this offense needs someone to step up that can stretch the field, who is that receiver going to be? Brown, Fleming, Betts is Manning even going to contribute this season if ever?

Manning tweeted out yesterday that he can’t wait till Monday to join his brothers. He then later deleted that tweet...

Reactions: pahusker139
Betts - True Freshman
Brown - True Freshman
Fleming - True Freshman
Manning - JUCO

You guys thought they were going to come out and blast Ohio St? Take it easy. We have some top talent there and Wandale will still only be a Soph next season. We are also adding in 3 WR who are all at least 6'2 and 3 TE who are all at least 6'4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT