ADVERTISEMENT

Wow....Wynn N

I hate to be Debbie downer, but he isn't that good. He had 5 tackles the entire season last year. He had 2 vs Miami and never played until Alabama was up by 30 late in the 3rd quarter. He was probably their 4th string nose tackle. I'm glad he chose NU but I'm not expecting NFL level of play by any means.
That’s not completely accurate. The 2 guys in front of him last year will both end high draft picks. And Wynn did play significant snaps when DJ Dale went down last year.

He also has 2 years left if he wants. I think that’s great for us but was bad for him at Bama. Their D-Line is pretty deep. He needed to come some place willing to invest 2 years in him

Last edited:
I hate to be Debbie downer, but he isn't that good. He had 5 tackles the entire season last year. He had 2 vs Miami and never played until Alabama was up by 30 late in the 3rd quarter. He was probably their 4th string nose tackle. I'm glad he chose NU but I'm not expecting NFL level of play by any means.
Daniels apparently wasn't NFL talent level either, but he sure did the job when he was playing. Wynn is an older guy, probably been practicing and facing some pretty good talent in practice or scrimmages.

I look at him as an important pickup. When NU had 7 guys for the whole DL and we pick up an older DL on a top squad that won a ton of games has to be a benefit to the NU defense.

Adding Mathis, Drew and Wynn to the DL, I think just gives it a different vibe heading into fall practice.

I hope the young man can play, and play well. As a senior, I hope he plays hard since this may be his last season to prove himself.

The primary ? is
“Is he better than what we got in our 2 deep?”
Maybe not a Joe B situation, but we needed an upgrade.

Guy was a 4 star rated 5.9 player ranked 108th best player in his class. Saban wanted him. But he is not that good? Stars matter or they dont.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well the fact that he played any snaps at Alabama means that he's at least better than having a hole on the DL roster after those graduations and transfers out. He'll get minutes and provide relief at the very minimum (as long as he stays healthy). So that's a positive vs. getting nobody to help the DL. But do I think the upside is much higher on the maximum and he could be a very significant player.

Daniels apparently wasn't NFL talent level either, but he sure did the job when he was playing. Wynn is an older guy, probably been practicing and facing some pretty good talent in practice or scrimmages.

I look at him as an important pickup. When NU had 7 guys for the whole DL and we pick up an older DL on a top squad that won a ton of games has to be a benefit to the NU defense.

Adding Mathis, Drew and Wynn to the DL, I think just gives it a different vibe heading into fall practice.

I hope the young man can play, and play well. As a senior, I hope he plays hard since this may be his last season to prove himself.
I agree with this. We need to balance hype with being realistic. But at a minimum, this kid should at least get to play.

My question is where he will fit? Coming out of HS, he was highly ranked as a 3-4 defensive end. How much 3-4 will we play next year? He looks like he could be a zero tech "middle guard" but has he ever played that spot? That may be where we need him.

why are some fans so down on Nash? Hes still a pretty young player give him time, heck suh wasn’t a instant success it took him 2-3 years to develop
Good question. Our fans always freak out when we lose on recruiting a local kid (or in this case almost local). When we do get the local kids, people bag on them as not good enough before they get a chance.

Interior DLine next year
2 vets
a dude who was buried on a perennially stocked Dline at Bama
a Year 4 guy who has been buried on NU’s depth chart
a Year 3 guy who had also been just out of the rotation, but is known to be super strong.
a Year 5 walkon.
Can they plug the middle against the run in the B1G? Can a guy like Drew get QB pressures on passing downs?

• Love
Interior DLine next year
2 vets
a Year 3 guy who had also been just out of the rotation, but is known to be super strong.
a Year 5 walkon.
Can they plug the middle against the run in the B1G? Can a guy like Drew get QB pressures on passing downs?
Is the 5 year walk on Colton Feist from Yutan?

Interior DLine next year
2 vets
a Year 5 walkon.
WV, those are all good observations. Likely we won't begin to know the answer until OU, even though they are not representative of the power teams in the Big Ten who run it a lot.

I look at Mathis, Drew and Wynn as very welcome additions due to NU's low numbers prior to signing these guys. I don't doubt that VInce and the crew went after anyone that was "signable", and not all are willing to come to NU.

NU has to be better because of these guys, there's no guarantee they will stand up to the Big Ten rushing attacks, but NU has a lot better chance than they did. We kind of know what Robinson and Nelson bring to the table. Its reasonable to assume they will both have improved at least a little.

At the end of the day, the DL, in my opinion went from a clear weakness to at least 50% improvement due to the proven past play of Mathis and Drew. Another big body like Wynn could elevate this to 75% improvement and may at least give NU a chance.

Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, GA Southern, Norh Dakota should be able to be handled. Mich, Iowa, WIscy are gonna be a problem to handle regardless if we had Daniels back or not.

OU will provide an early clue if NU is going to improve in the pass rush department.

As a fan, I just want a chance to be competitive, and maybe turn the corner on some of those teams that we should be able to beat.

Its Alabama. They have great players on the DL every year.

You think their DTs from last year played much their freshmen and sophomore years?

First thing I noticed when I looked at the Alabama depth chart awhile back was that Wynn was listed as number 2 with another player. I wonder if any of our players on the roster prior to Wynn coming to Nebraska would be number 2 on the Alabama depth chart, I don't think so.

I'm not saying Wynn is going to be all BIG TEN but I think he has a chance to be an important piece of the DL. When you have fans of other BIG TEN schools say this young man isn't very good you know in fact that he is or they wouldn't bother brining up his name, it has their attention.

WV, those are all good observations. Likely we won't begin to know the answer until OU, even though they are not representative of the power teams in the Big Ten who run it a lot.

I look at Mathis, Drew and Wynn as very welcome additions due to NU's low numbers prior to signing these guys. I don't doubt that VInce and the crew went after anyone that was "signable", and not all are willing to come to NU.

NU has to be better because of these guys, there's no guarantee they will stand up to the Big Ten rushing attacks, but NU has a lot better chance than they did. We kind of know what Robinson and Nelson bring to the table. Its reasonable to assume they will both have improved at least a little.

At the end of the day, the DL, in my opinion went from a clear weakness to at least 50% improvement due to the proven past play of Mathis and Drew. Another big body like Wynn could elevate this to 75% improvement and may at least give NU a chance.

Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, GA Southern, Norh Dakota should be able to be handled. Mich, Iowa, WIscy are gonna be a problem to handle regardless if we had Daniels back or not.

OU will provide an early clue if NU is going to improve in the pass rush department.

As a fan, I just want a chance to be competitive, and maybe turn the corner on some of those teams that we should be able to beat.
Hopefully Mathis and Drew can provide insight into playing OU as well

Wynn is a classic case of ceiling being met in HS...bigger than kids at that level. He can still be a good college player but didn't get much better thus far. Not a knock on the kid just the facts. Glad we got him though.

Reactions: BuckysBoys1
People need to pump the breaks as he has had very little meaningful playing experience at Bama while Drew has a buttload of proven experience and is a beast with speed for a DT. This year Wynn will work his way into the rotation and will be Drew or Nash starting with Wynn working his way into the 3rd man up. Next year I could actually see him working his way into a starting position.

People need to pump the breaks as he has had very little meaningful playing experience at Bama while Drew has a buttload of proven experience and is a beast with speed for a DT. This year Wynn will work his way into the rotation and will be Drew or Nash starting with Wynn working his way into the 3rd man up. Next year I could actually see him working his way into a starting position.
seen a lot of Drew on film so they have a good idea of how to use him.
Coaches have a lot of film on Drew so they probably have a better idea of how they want to use him. Wynn is a bigger guy and will probably be used more on earlier downs. He was 2b on the depth chart at NT in Bama’s 3-4.

Coaches have a lot of film on Drew so they probably have a better idea of how they want to use him. Wynn is a bigger guy and will probably be used more on earlier downs. He was 2b on the depth chart at NT in Bama’s 3-4.
Drew is an innings eater. Guy can play snaps and eat space. That’s what you want. I think we should have a good 5 on the D-Line excluding OLB Nelson/ Tannor mix. I could see us playing more 3-4 then expected this spring

FIVE WINS BABY!!!!!!! Progress!!!!

community-ah.gif

Good question. Our fans always freak out when we lose on recruiting a local kid (or in this case almost local). When we do get the local kids, people bag on them as not good enough before they get a chance.
Was never that high on Nash coming out of high school. Strong as a MF but even from his film playing against a bunch of 180 lb linemen I didn’t see the quickness or explosion needed out of a starting B1G caliber player.

Understood the reason for taking him though, with the thought they could get him bulked to a 325+ lb run stuffer as an NG. Now that we are moving to a 4-3 though, I don’t see him being a factor. Just my opinion. Feel the same way for the other DT in that class, M Black

Was never that high on Nash coming out of high school. Strong as a MF but even from his film playing against a bunch of 180 lb linemen I didn’t see the quickness or explosion needed out of a starting B1G caliber player.

Understood the reason for taking him though, with the thought they could get him bulked to a 325+ lb run stuffer as an NG. Now that we are moving to a 4-3 though, I don’t see him being a factor. Just my opinion. Feel the same way for the other DT in that class, M Black
I guess it just depends if we actually stick to that trend toward the 4-3 or if we stick with the 3-4 now that we have some guys.

If I was coach, I'd get Mathis and Nelson together and ask them which they'd prefer - edge lb, or hand in the dirt d end. Based on their deliberating, that'd be my solution. We need killer pass rush above all else this season. Whichever nets us that much needed improvement.

I've kinda had the same impression of Nash as you. From the film I seen, and the level of competition, I didn't have high expectations. NOW, having said that....

He is a big, strong kid, who with maybe better all-around lifting program, nutrition and just some physical maturity is at LEAST gonna play some snaps over the next few years, and if someone in front of him gets injured, he may play some snaps that really matter. Other than when the other team is camped on your own goal line.

I would much rather NU give him the scholarship than Thompkins, Stepp and even Damian Jackson. At least Nash HAS the potential to be a contributor. Those RB's were injured coming in, and its a great story if they get fixed up and can become a 1-2 starter, but neither one ever did shit.

Jackson, is a great story. But as far as "on the field" he was a waste of playing time. Played his ass off, but he just lacks a lot of what it takes to be someone who NU should have playing meaningful minutes.

With NU's bottom standing in the Big Ten they can no longer be "Rehab U."

It's one thing if they take a kid and know he will need to put on weight, etc, it's another when it might be a longshot for the kid to ever get physically healed enough in order to CONTRIBUTE.

I don't like to be a downer a lot of the time, but the object is to win games. This bullshit of having the best looking team walking through the airport hasn't exactly paid dividends. We got a bunch of 6-7, 6-8, 6-9 stiffs who can't play, with only a couple notable exceptions.

SF tried to design a team that was big and tall to impress himself. It became a side issue that the vast majority of them can't play at this level.

Like some of the guys on here, I'm just tired of some of these bonehead moves by SF. He's had 4 full years to get his shit together. All of the really good coaches' teams begin to show big improvement by year 2, and here we are heading into year 5 coming off 3 fuvking wins.

The great ones like Saban, Meyer, Stoops win a national title in year 2. Even Peter Carroll got it done in Year 3 (didn't check, but its my recollection).

I haven't taken the time to research it, but I don't think there's ever been a coach that tanked 4 years in a row and ever amounted to shit. Some, no doubt, finally got their teams up to 7-8 wins a year, but that was likely their ceiling.

It's like Sarkisian at Texas. Helluva play caller, but I think I read they only have 6 of 26 kids off his first recruiting class, (again, based on recollection). Dude can call plays, he just isn't head coaching material, and he has proven that. He's toast this year, enter Urban Meyer and then watch out for Texas in a couple years.

Either a guy can coach or he can't. SF's performance speaks for itself.
Sarkisian seems to be a carbon copy.

Here we are loading up on WR's again. Yeah, they're nice to have, but how many does NU need? And bringing in these kids, some who will be here 1 and gone, or maybe 2 and gone, and in the meantime, how many young receivers decide to hit the bricks because of lack of playing time?

The portal, which is a good thing for the kids, has changed the way the game is viewed by kids nowadays. Generally, if a kid IS good enough to be offered a scholarship by 1 or more D-l teams, the kid was a good player, and used to seeing the field.

You can't take kids who, many of them were studs in high school and bury them on the depth chart and expect them to stick around. Some will, but any kid who wants to compete should want to try to find a home where they can get on the field. That doesn't apply to Mathis, Drew because they were gonna play a ton at TCU and Tech, but it sure does seem to apply to Wynn. I'm hoping it was a mutually beneficial situation for both he and NU.

Its a different story if the kid has academic motives that keep him at a particular school, but in most cases, that isn't a real factor.

I know NU has picked up some really good talent through the portal. Especially on defense. I would really like to see them be able to sign 1 or even 2 really good OL to help that unit become a pretty good outfit. Then we're talking about a real potential turnaround.

I'm just kinda ranting on a Tuesday. I'm just a frustrated fan because you don't have to be a football expert to see how thing program became a national embarassment. It used to be a huge source of pride for every single legitimate Husker fan in this forum.

Last edited:
Here we are loading up on WR's again. Yeah, they're nice to have, but how many does NU need?

I know NU has picked up some really good talent through the portal. Especially on defense. I would really like to see them be able to sign 1 or even 2 really good OL to help that unit become a pretty good outfit. Then we're talking about a real potential turnaround.

I'm just kinda ranting on a Tuesday. I'm just a frustrated fan because you don't have to be a football expert to see how thing program became a national embarassment. It used to be a huge source of pride for every single legitimate Husker fan in this forum.

I know you're just ranting on a Tuesday but what I find funny, not pointing fingers at you specifically, is that many on this here board want Mickey Joseph as the current head coach but yet he's the one getting additional personnel that we're complaining about. Do we really think Frost is making these decisions without discussing with the rest of the staff? Particularly those on the offensive side? smh.

It would be nice to have signed more OL & who knows, maybe an additional one will show up by fall camp (I have no knowledge) but how many were in the portal that may have made an impact? From what I can see, every OL that would have likely made an in game impact was contacted to learn of any interest. Am I missing some portal OL that we know without a doubt that we didn't go after?

So many people on here complain and speculate without knowing one ounce of facts and if/when proven to be nothing but a teenage girl, never own up to the fact they were clueless idiots. It's very hard to consider anything they say as being remotely close to the truth.

I'm just kinda ranting on a Wednesday. I'm just a frustrated fan who wants the team to win games but I've been on the player and coaching side just enough to know it's far more complicated that it appears to the outside. That's not to say we haven't under performed, because we have - big time. I have no idea if HCSF will get it turned around and be a consistent contender but I believe he has done everything necessary this off-season to improve both the team and the staff. We would have something to complain about this off-season IF we were at status quo with both the personnel and the staff.

Like some of the guys on here, I'm just tired of some of these bonehead moves by SF. He's had 4 full years to get his shit together. All of the really good coaches' teams begin to show big improvement by year 2, and here we are heading into year 5 coming off 3 fuvking wins.

The great ones like Saban, Meyer, Stoops win a national title in year 2. Even Peter Carroll got it done in Year 3 (didn't check, but its my recollection).

I haven't taken the time to research it, but I don't think there's ever been a coach that tanked 4 years in a row and ever amounted to shit. Some, no doubt, finally got their teams up to 7-8 wins a year, but that was likely their ceiling.

I'm sure you're just referencing College coaches but what was it about Bill Belichick that made the Patriots think he was even a short-term answer for them? He sucked as a head coach at Cleveland where he had 1 winning season out of 5 and the others weren't even close. Most NFL coaches today don't get a chance to enter their 4th year with the record he had his 1st 3 years. His 1st year at NE, he won 5 games. Was there something that the Pats saw that told them this was a great hire? Yet today, he's considered one of the best to ever coach in the NFL.

I'm not saying that SF will be the next Bill Belichick, though I would be thrilled if he turned out half that good. What I'm saying is even the great head coaches have had periods where their records and/or decisions weren't very good - but they all learned from them and got better. I'm hoping Scott will learn from his past and continue to get better. I think there's evidence that he is learning, whether 'forced' on him or not. The question I have is will he improve with what he has learned? Time will tell. If he doesn't, he'll be on to his next gig.

I've kinda had the same impression of Nash as you. From the film I seen, and the level of competition, I didn't have high expectations. NOW, having said that....

He is a big, strong kid, who with maybe better all-around lifting program, nutrition and just some physical maturity is at LEAST gonna play some snaps over the next few years, and if someone in front of him gets injured, he may play some snaps that really matter. Other than when the other team is camped on your own goal line.

I would much rather NU give him the scholarship than Thompkins, Stepp and even Damian Jackson. At least Nash HAS the potential to be a contributor. Those RB's were injured coming in, and its a great story if they get fixed up and can become a 1-2 starter, but neither one ever did shit.

Jackson, is a great story. But as far as "on the field" he was a waste of playing time. Played his ass off, but he just lacks a lot of what it takes to be someone who NU should have playing meaningful minutes.

With NU's bottom standing in the Big Ten they can no longer be "Rehab U."

It's one thing if they take a kid and know he will need to put on weight, etc, it's another when it might be a longshot for the kid to ever get physically healed enough in order to CONTRIBUTE.

I don't like to be a downer a lot of the time, but the object is to win games. This bullshit of having the best looking team walking through the airport hasn't exactly paid dividends. We got a bunch of 6-7, 6-8, 6-9 stiffs who can't play, with only a couple notable exceptions.

SF tried to design a team that was big and tall to impress himself. It became a side issue that the vast majority of them can't play at this level.

It's like Sarkisian at Texas. Helluva play caller, but I think I read they only have 6 of 26 kids off his first recruiting class, (again, based on recollection). Dude can call plays, he just isn't head coaching material, and he has proven that. He's toast this year, enter Urban Meyer and then watch out for Texas in a couple years.

Either a guy can coach or he can't. SF's performance speaks for itself.
Sarkisian seems to be a carbon copy.

Here we are loading up on WR's again. Yeah, they're nice to have, but how many does NU need? And bringing in these kids, some who will be here 1 and gone, or maybe 2 and gone, and in the meantime, how many young receivers decide to hit the bricks because of lack of playing time?

The portal, which is a good thing for the kids, has changed the way the game is viewed by kids nowadays. Generally, if a kid IS good enough to be offered a scholarship by 1 or more D-l teams, the kid was a good player, and used to seeing the field.

You can't take kids who, many of them were studs in high school and bury them on the depth chart and expect them to stick around. Some will, but any kid who wants to compete should want to try to find a home where they can get on the field. That doesn't apply to Mathis, Drew because they were gonna play a ton at TCU and Tech, but it sure does seem to apply to Wynn. I'm hoping it was a mutually beneficial situation for both he and NU.

Its a different story if the kid has academic motives that keep him at a particular school, but in most cases, that isn't a real factor.

Yeah I agree he was worth a scholly. You have to take some chances in recruiting and with his strength it made sense if you are recruiting a NG, to try to bulk him up to play as a 0. But saw him as a 3 year project with a very specific role on 1st and 2nd down. Just don’t see him having the feet for a 4-3 DT.

The M Black offer made way less sense. He had something like a 24 inch vertical and 5.0 forty of our HS, without the hulk strength of Nash to make up for it. One of the the most puzzling offers made so far in the SF era.

Oddly enough I think some of your “second chance” frustrations will be solved from the portal. When you have to take 25 high school guys each year in a state that on average produces 3 scholly level players each year, you have to take chances on guys like Ronald Thompkins even with the injury history in the hopes that you land a big fish. I think you’ll see those scholarships being saved for proven guys in the portal now that Nebraska can sell NIL to college kids.

I know you're just ranting on a Tuesday but what I find funny, not pointing fingers at you specifically, is that many on this here board want Mickey Joseph as the current head coach but yet he's the one getting additional personnel that we're complaining about. Do we really think Frost is making these decisions without discussing with the rest of the staff? Particularly those on the offensive side? smh.

It would be nice to have signed more OL & who knows, maybe an additional one will show up by fall camp (I have no knowledge) but how many were in the portal that may have made an impact? From what I can see, every OL that would have likely made an in game impact was contacted to learn of any interest. Am I missing some portal OL that we know without a doubt that we didn't go after?

So many people on here complain and speculate without knowing one ounce of facts and if/when proven to be nothing but a teenage girl, never own up to the fact they were clueless idiots. It's very hard to consider anything they say as being remotely close to the truth.

I'm just kinda ranting on a Wednesday. I'm just a frustrated fan who wants the team to win games but I've been on the player and coaching side just enough to know it's far more complicated that it appears to the outside. That's not to say we haven't under performed, because we have - big time. I have no idea if HCSF will get it turned around and be a consistent contender but I believe he has done everything necessary this off-season to improve both the team and the staff. We would have something to complain about this off-season IF we were at status quo with both the personnel and the staff.
First of all, at no point have I advocated for Mickey to be the next head coach. Rarely will a coach who has never even been a coordinator get the head job at a major University.

The farther Frost stays away from anything offensive, the better off NU will be.

There WERE OL guys listed in the portal, and I listed them. I also thought it would be just as well go for a Soph or Jr who could maybe play for more than one season. I liked the kid from Colorado, but I have as much say so as you.

I have no doubt every available OL that NU felt was worth going after was contacted to see if they had an interest.

I don't know that for a fact, but given the amount of new kids NU has signed from transfers and the portal it could be a logical conclusion.

I'm not a teenage girl, in fact, I won my first state championships in 1972.
For 11 years I worked with Olympic sprinters.

As a sidenote, my son regularly exchanges texts with a NU coach who is a 25 year personal friend.

Athletics is no more complicated than you make it. You either have an eye for talent or you don't. Having talent doesn't guarantee the coach knows how to utilize it. A coach either get it done when it counts, or he doesn't.

When you have a QB who touches the ball EVERY snap, and he stinks up the place when the games on the line, your team loses. A coach discredits everything a team works for simply because he would rather punish the team than put his ego aside.

I bet behind closed doors, the other football coaches in the Big Ten think SF is a joke as a head coach in that league. The only thing he's proven is he knows how to coach losing football.

Now that his tits in the wringer, he would do well to let someone else try to get a job done that he's failed to do.

No disrespect intended. Have a good one.

Yeah I agree he was worth a scholly. You have to take some chances in recruiting and with his strength it made sense if you are recruiting a NG, to try to bulk him up to play as a 0. But saw him as a 3 year project with a very specific role on 1st and 2nd down. Just don’t see him having the feet for a 4-3 DT.

The M Black offer made way less sense. He had something like a 24 inch vertical and 5.0 forty of our HS, without the hulk strength of Nash to make up for it. One of the the most puzzling offers made so far in the SF era.

Oddly enough I think some of your “second chance” frustrations will be solved from the portal. When you have to take 25 high school guys each year in a state that on average produces 3 scholly level players each year, you have to take chances on guys like Ronald Thompkins even with the injury history in the hopes that you land a big fish. I think you’ll see those scholarships being saved for proven guys in the portal now that Nebraska can sell NIL to college kids.
Every kid is a chance to a degree when offered a scholarship. I am not sure why everyone thinks just because we get someone from the portal, they are automatically going to be good. There are reasons they left their current programs, some to get P5 exposure which I get. For the most part, yes, they have been in programs for a while and some have played key roles but not all. Some barely have any stats at all. I wonder about the "go get another OL or two in the portal" cries when many aren't even starting on their own team but we expect them to come in and make instant impacts at Nebraska. I would venture a guess that most P5 teams will be looking at the same potential OL people that may be available. It is rare when any school can't use another good OL man.

Didn't we have a couple DL that weren't piling much for stats or playing time get picked up elsewhere? What does that tell us?

I'm sure you're just referencing College coaches but what was it about Bill Belichick that made the Patriots think he was even a short-term answer for them? He sucked as a head coach at Cleveland where he had 1 winning season out of 5 and the others weren't even close. Most NFL coaches today don't get a chance to enter their 4th year with the record he had his 1st 3 years. His 1st year at NE, he won 5 games. Was there something that the Pats saw that told them this was a great hire? Yet today, he's considered one of the best to ever coach in the NFL.

I'm not saying that SF will be the next Bill Belichick, though I would be thrilled if he turned out half that good. What I'm saying is even the great head coaches have had periods where their records and/or decisions weren't very good - but they all learned from them and got better. I'm hoping Scott will learn from his past and continue to get better. I think there's evidence that he is learning, whether 'forced' on him or not. The question I have is will he improve with what he has learned? Time will tell. If he doesn't, he'll be on to his next gig.
Using an illustration of Belichik and Frost is a non-starter. There is a difference in college and pro football. As you may know, just like MLB, and the NBA, the NFL is nothing more than a turnstile for the same retread coaches to go from one organization to another.

What you think his record would have been had Brady not been the QB?

If you were to tell a group of people that you hope Scott Frost will turn out half as good as Belichick, you'd be laughed out of the room. Right now, NU fans would likely be happy if he were 25% as good as Solich or Pelini. Frost is still working on becoming as successful as Mr. Average Riley.

Scott either belongs coaching in a collegiate league where nobody plays defense, or he needs to be an offensive coach, or a play caller. Some guys just never make that big jump from OC to head coach while at the same time starting to face higher quality coaching from opponents.

Nick Saban was not much at Miami, but he seems to be a helluva college coach. We all know about the Bill Callahan experiment. It's always hard to figure who will or won't excel moving from one level to another.

Didn't work out that well for Urban Meyer either. Stunk up the place in Jacksonville. In college, right at the top of the food chain of the very best college coaches ever. There are no guarantees. It's hard to figure.

Every kid is a chance to a degree when offered a scholarship. I am not sure why everyone thinks just because we get someone from the portal, they are automatically going to be good. There are reasons they left their current programs, some to get P5 exposure which I get. For the most part, yes, they have been in programs for a while and some have played key roles but not all. Some barely have any stats at all. I wonder about the "go get another OL or two in the portal" cries when many aren't even starting on their own team but we expect them to come in and make instant impacts at Nebraska. I would venture a guess that most P5 teams will be looking at the same potential OL people that may be available. It is rare when any school can't use another good OL man.

Didn't we have a couple DL that weren't piling much for stats or playing time get picked up elsewhere? What does that tell us?
The OL I was referring to were all starters at their previous schools. Now that, in and of itself, does not guarantee they will come to NU and be a star.

An example is Noulli. He started or played a lot at CSU, has came here and worked into a starting OG. Doesn't mean he's a great player, he's capable, but he has been deemed better than anyone else NU had. That was win-win.

I have no doubt most of those top 10 kids at each position in the portal would be welcome at multiple schools out there. Of course, it would be nice if NU were one of them.

But the portal is a bit like shopping. You try to take enough money to get what you came for. You need this and that, and you hope to bring home this and that. Sometimes you might come home with something not quite as good as what you planned. Sometimes it's just not available.

I agree with much of what you said. You make a good point on the NIL.

Take a kid like Mathis for example. NU has spent the last umpteen years trying to find a legitimate pass rusher. Now, will he be that guy? None of us know at this point.

BUT, if he does have a great year and has several sacks he becomes a selling point to that 6'5" 260# kid from Timbucktoo who has similar physical skills. NU can then show an example of how the the coaches may play him in this defense and advance that kids skill and perhaps help him get into the league.

Another example would be Wynn. Stuck as a back up at Bama, goes to NU, shows what he can do and maybe elevates his prospects. Something like that can be used as a selling point as well. Conversely, Wynn comes to NU, fails to inspire anyone with his play, and other than depth no one benefits a great deal.

ADVERTISEMENT