ADVERTISEMENT

Wow....Wynn N

I'm sure you're just referencing College coaches but what was it about Bill Belichick that made the Patriots think he was even a short-term answer for them? He sucked as a head coach at Cleveland where he had 1 winning season out of 5 and the others weren't even close. Most NFL coaches today don't get a chance to enter their 4th year with the record he had his 1st 3 years. His 1st year at NE, he won 5 games. Was there something that the Pats saw that told them this was a great hire? Yet today, he's considered one of the best to ever coach in the NFL.

I'm not saying that SF will be the next Bill Belichick, though I would be thrilled if he turned out half that good. What I'm saying is even the great head coaches have had periods where their records and/or decisions weren't very good - but they all learned from them and got better. I'm hoping Scott will learn from his past and continue to get better. I think there's evidence that he is learning, whether 'forced' on him or not. The question I have is will he improve with what he has learned? Time will tell. If he doesn't, he'll be on to his next gig.
Or maybe we are Scott's stint with the Cleveland Browns

Using an illustration of Belichik and Frost is a non-starter. There is a difference in college and pro football. As you may know, just like MLB, and the NBA, the NFL is nothing more than a turnstile for the same retread coaches to go from one organization to another.

What you think his record would have been had Brady not been the QB?

If you were to tell a group of people that you hope Scott Frost will turn out half as good as Belichick, you'd be laughed out of the room. Right now, NU fans would likely be happy if he were 25% as good as Solich or Pelini. Frost is still working on becoming as successful as Mr. Average Riley.

Scott either belongs coaching in a collegiate league where nobody plays defense, or he needs to be an offensive coach, or a play caller. Some guys just never make that big jump from OC to head coach while at the same time starting to face higher quality coaching from opponents.

Nick Saban was not much at Miami, but he seems to be a helluva college coach. We all know about the Bill Callahan experiment. It's always hard to figure who will or won't excel moving from one level to another.

Didn't work out that well for Urban Meyer either. Stunk up the place in Jacksonville. In college, right at the top of the food chain of the very best college coaches ever. There are no guarantees. It's hard to figure.

As I mentioned, I'm sure you were referring to college coaches. I just gave you an example that actually fit your description and asked a question. No need to get defensive. I won't bother you with any more statistics as I'm not sure you'll grasp my point. Also, I never called you a teenage girl but referred to others as acting like teenage girls. Measure twice, cut once. Read twice, respond.

Had Brady not been the QB, we can only speculate but he likely wouldn't have been nearly as successful. You never answered my question though about why he even got hired by the Pats in the first place. Yes, they have a bunch of retreads in the NFL and it always puzzles me why certain guys get rehired as a head coach when they haven't ever been successful as a head coach. That said, there must be something that the GMs see in those guys that makes them think they'll be different under their watch.

So hoping that someone can improve enough to be half as good as Belichick is worthy of laughing out of the room? What do you hope for Scott? Do you hope he fails this year so that he gets canned? I've seen many say that on here. Notice I didn't say that I've seen you say that. I'd much rather have him learn & improve here at NU. If you don't have hope, what do you have? Why bother posting if you don't have hope? Is it just to get your complaints known?

I may not be quite as seasoned as you are but I'm not far behind at worst. I don't have a son that communicates regularly with an NU coach but I have a son who works with a close relative of one of the NU players - who speaks highly of coach Frost btw. That doesn't mean all the players do. Not every player spoke highly of TO as I've talked with one that didn't.

So the OL from Colorado, where did he end up? Maybe NU reached out to him and talked about the philosophy of Raiola and the kid didn't like that so he said he wasn't interested. See, my speculation is just as valid as anyone else because none of us know. None of us have sat in the room with any of these guys to discuss scheme, players, schedule, any of that. Everyone has an opinion, which is the purpose of this board, but that doesn't mean your opinion is any better than mine of vice versa. I like to discuss Xs & Os, philosophy, technique, statistics. That is much more interesting than opinions. Unfortunately, not many on here are willing to think about the questions I ask or willing to discuss Xs & Os, etc. People tend to respond from their emotions instead of logic and statistical analysis. Again, I'm saying that's what you do - please hear what I'm saying.

Have a good evening. BTW, for the most part, I enjoy your posts.

As I mentioned, I'm sure you were referring to college coaches. I just gave you an example that actually fit your description and asked a question. No need to get defensive. I won't bother you with any more statistics as I'm not sure you'll grasp my point. Also, I never called you a teenage girl but referred to others as acting like teenage girls. Measure twice, cut once. Read twice, respond.

Had Brady not been the QB, we can only speculate but he likely wouldn't have been nearly as successful. You never answered my question though about why he even got hired by the Pats in the first place. Yes, they have a bunch of retreads in the NFL and it always puzzles me why certain guys get rehired as a head coach when they haven't ever been successful as a head coach. That said, there must be something that the GMs see in those guys that makes them think they'll be different under their watch.

So hoping that someone can improve enough to be half as good as Belichick is worthy of laughing out of the room? What do you hope for Scott? Do you hope he fails this year so that he gets canned? I've seen many say that on here. Notice I didn't say that I've seen you say that. I'd much rather have him learn & improve here at NU. If you don't have hope, what do you have? Why bother posting if you don't have hope? Is it just to get your complaints known?

I may not be quite as seasoned as you are but I'm not far behind at worst. I don't have a son that communicates regularly with an NU coach but I have a son who works with a close relative of one of the NU players - who speaks highly of coach Frost btw. That doesn't mean all the players do. Not every player spoke highly of TO as I've talked with one that didn't.

So the OL from Colorado, where did he end up? Maybe NU reached out to him and talked about the philosophy of Raiola and the kid didn't like that so he said he wasn't interested. See, my speculation is just as valid as anyone else because none of us know. None of us have sat in the room with any of these guys to discuss scheme, players, schedule, any of that. Everyone has an opinion, which is the purpose of this board, but that doesn't mean your opinion is any better than mine of vice versa. I like to discuss Xs & Os, philosophy, technique, statistics. That is much more interesting than opinions. Unfortunately, not many on here are willing to think about the questions I ask or willing to discuss Xs & Os, etc. People tend to respond from their emotions instead of logic and statistical analysis. Again, I'm saying that's what you do - please hear what I'm saying.

Have a good evening. BTW, for the most part, I enjoy your posts.
Couple things here. It looks like we both enjoy posting long opinions.
Secondly, try not to be condescending when you refer to read twice, respond. This is a opinion board, so not every word is written or intended literally. Ok?

As far as statistics, I used to chart plays from 1965 til the mid 80's. I still chart plays for other teams. So I kinda grasp statistics. Plus, I made my bones as a professional handicapper, so numbers and statistics are kind of my thing. With all due respect, I might get you lost on numbers as statistics if you want to talk horse racing. Lots of guys are great at stats and numbers, you may be one of them.

But anyhow, you are fun to post with. Yeah, let's try not to get to personal.

I'm 68, retired, my wife is out of state and I'm doing a list of crap around the house, every so often taking a well deserved break to see what's up on the board. It's been really, really slow, so a good back and forth is something I enjoy, even though others may not find it so. Differing opinions is what makes this site show a little life during a really dull period.

As far as Scott, I'll have no say-so in the matter regardless of this season. I want NU to win and I firmly believe someone else will be the guy who will make that happen. You can't start your NU coaching career 0-6, then finish your 4th season finishing 0-6 and call that progress.

I know Scott. I also knew Larry, and I know Carol and Steve also. Never will you find a coach who hasn't had SOMEONE who didn't like him, even TO. I know probably 6 kids that played for him, they all loved him. I know one guy in business who despised Tom and the feelings were mutual. That's just a human nature.

But anything I say, or any other poster says on here will have ZERO to do with whether Scott stays or goes. He will determine his own future and if he goes 6-6 he's very likely gone. Some will be sad, I won't be among them. Actually, I will be a little sad that he goes simply because I hoped when he signed that he would turn this ship around and that hasn't happened.

Again, do yourself a favor and don't suggest there aren't guys on here who won't or can't talk philosophy, X's and O's etc with you, because there are. They just don't happen to frequent this site until fall. Right now you can't talk X's and O's anyhow cause NU maybe changing our defensive concepts and no doubt Whipple will do things different than Scott.

When the season starts there will ample time to dissect what they did or didn't do on a particular play or series. And there will always be criticism.

Hell, I used to criticize Osborne. People criticize Saban, its the nature of the beast, and as passionate fans, we all like to have our input, despite the fact that nobody gives a flying fvck what you or I think or post. It does make for entertaining banter however.

You are correct, none of us sat in a room, or heard a phone call to a prospective OL portal player. Something as devastating as NU long term failure may be enough for a kid to just dismiss NU if the kid has a valid offer from another school. I don't blame those kids.

Another OL player may be friends or has heard about the high number of kids we have that leave for different reasons. When you're 18-23 it may not take much for them to not consider NU. Maybe NU was the only team that really courted Wynn other than S. Carolina?, and maybe Wynn just really hit it off with Dawson or Chinander. We don't know.

I do personally think as long as Vince is the recruiting coordinator NU will see a vast improvement in the talent level being brought in. He's just not been the kind of guy to go chasing kids that can't play. But, without question, he has made misjudgments just like we all do. But, he will put NU in the hunt if we can keep him for 5-10 years.

That's why I think its important for these new arrivals to have good seasons.
I know that not likely, but since NU is tossing money around, it does sit the table to go after some really good, available talent. It would be good if they have good vibes about the direction of the program.

NU really, in the next 2 years, has to be better than MN, PUR, NW, RUT, ILL, etc and have to be able to start at least splitting with WI, IA, PSU, MU, MSU and then there's OSU. It would be great to win the West and start to play for something that matters.

Enough for now. Sorry for this really long post, but my breaks over.

The OL I was referring to were all starters at their previous schools. Now that, in and of itself, does not guarantee they will come to NU and be a star.

An example is Noulli. He started or played a lot at CSU, has came here and worked into a starting OG. Doesn't mean he's a great player, he's capable, but he has been deemed better than anyone else NU had. That was win-win.

I have no doubt most of those top 10 kids at each position in the portal would be welcome at multiple schools out there. Of course, it would be nice if NU were one of them.

But the portal is a bit like shopping. You try to take enough money to get what you came for. You need this and that, and you hope to bring home this and that. Sometimes you might come home with something not quite as good as what you planned. Sometimes it's just not available.
Let's put this in perspective. First, as it seems many are clamoring for more bodies on the OL, that tells us that just starting at Nebraska must not be all its cracked up to be. Thinking logically, IF there is a quality OL that has started and more than just a handful of games and wants to move on, how rare is that really? They would, in fact, have their choice of schools most likely.

What schools are looking for is the guy who has the "potential" (whatever that is) and let's face it, the school is desperate for bodies so you take them. Take Hunter Anthony as an example. He started early at OSU and then fell of the face of the earth. He wanted the opportunity to play somewhere but why come to Nebraska of all places? Was/is he that good or is a supply and demand market?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
My 2 centavos
Boards vision of things was inverted. Scott was seen as bringing an offensive juggernaut, and Chins the weak link. As it turns out Frosts offensive staff was not B1G worthy save Beckton, and Chins has held serve in the B1G. Consistent improvement. If Thompson is simply a more efficient distributor, NU will win a majority of its games. I think the new offensive staff is at least a grade above the previous. The portal players make a better team.
Frost is still a young guy, head coach wise. The time with Whipple is like being with a version of Chip Kelly for him. This can work out well for him.

Let's put this in perspective. First, as it seems many are clamoring for more bodies on the OL, that tells us that just starting at Nebraska must not be all its cracked up to be. Thinking logically, IF there is a quality OL that has started and more than just a handful of games and wants to move on, how rare is that really? They would, in fact, have their choice of schools most likely.

What schools are looking for is the guy who has the "potential" (whatever that is) and let's face it, the school is desperate for bodies so you take them. Take Hunter Anthony as an example. He started early at OSU and then fell of the face of the earth. He wanted the opportunity to play somewhere but why come to Nebraska of all places? Was/is he that good or is a supply and demand market?
Those are interesting thoughts. Yes, I am one of those clamoring for more bodies on the OL, rather, I am clamoring for OL that can play at the D1 level. They don't have to be great, they don't have to be really good, they just have to be capable/serviceable.

I think the SF tenure has been subpar with the OL. James was good. Farniok was not that good, but he made the NFL so he was either coached up, or turned up the intensity or whatever he lacked at NU in order to hook up with a team. I seem to recall he had a lot of penalties and underperformed.

Farmer did a pretty nice job. He wasn't real quick, was really strong, and when they put him in the right spot he played well. Cam was a newbie so with that came the issues we are all aware of. By year 3 he was becoming a really good OC.

But, he also was far away the best athlete of the entire OL's in the last 4 years. Athletically, none of them compared. I "think" after year 2, had he become disenchanted with NU, he would had a lot of offers to transfer as he was just coming into his own, and his best days were ahead of him.

Then NU started bringing in a lot of big kids that were generally not athletic, lacked quicknesss, and did not have good feet. But, they were tall.
The best athlete, in my opinion, is Corcoran and the 2nd best athlete in the OL is likely Piper. But, neither could play OT, and Corcoran was much better at OG and was not good as an LT or RT.

Then we have Benhart. Big, immobile, and maybe he has a good topside, and I just can't see it. Maybe he will prove me wrong. NU brought in Nouilli and he has proven to be capable. Raridon is done and they've had trouble finding a position that Banks seems to fit.

NU brought in Anthony and Williams. I've only seen their action in the spring game, and was not overly impressed with either. Teddy has a great upside and its a shame he got injured. I had hopes for Lutovsky? and maybe he pans out. I hope so.

What we've generally been left with is an over abundance of OL who, other than a couple exceptions, just have no recovery ability. In other words, because of their size, their generally poor feet, and of course the coaching philosophy have made them easy targets for really athletic DE's.

Because of their lack of recovery ability, once that DE or DL gets past their shoulder their lack of feet prevents them from kicking them out or just riding them to the outside, and as we've seen, even a lot of whiffs.

Every OL on the planet is going to get beat, especially with the athleticism some of those DE's in the 6-4 260# range. That's a given. You try to protect from the inside/out, instead NU has failed to protect from the outside/in. Then NU was also plagued last year with Piper at OG, and he really struggled. I hope he lands at OC, cause that likely fits his physical gifts better than taking on a DL in space.

I'm just kind of rambling here, but Teddy, Noulli, Hixson, Corcoran and either Anthony or maybe Lutovsky could become a decent line. Here I go again, but one more good RT and NU improves greatly. I think as much as the addition of Mathis added to the DL, a good quality RT could have that same impact on the OL.

Pardon all my bitching, cause this year it is becoming obvious the staff is really focused on making the entire team better. If NU stands pat and this is the group of talent available, so be it. We can all wish for the best and hope Raiola will have this line perform at the level their physical talent allow them.

Even something so elementary as cutting down on the proceedure calls, minimizing the holding calls, and the jumping offsides would be a big help.
NU has to arrive at the day when they quit letting these type mistakes influence the play calling and altering the down and distance.

I'm just so glad that Austin is gone. I never disliked him, I just thought his approach wasn't in sync to the type of athletes NU was rolling out in the OL.

I came away for the spring game thinking this OL is gonna get crushed. Time after time the line just broke down. It looked like they were getting manhandled by our DL, which I viewed as an overall weak unit.
Now with the new additions, I can just imagine how ugly it can get in practice.

By the way, if NU were to land a nice OL, I would just be looking for something else to bitch about.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Those are interesting thoughts. Yes, I am one of those clamoring for more bodies on the OL, rather, I am clamoring for OL that can play at the D1 level. They don't have to be great, they don't have to be really good, they just have to be capable/serviceable.

I think the SF tenure has been subpar with the OL. James was good. Farniok was not that good, but he made the NFL so he was either coached up, or turned up the intensity or whatever he lacked at NU in order to hook up with a team. I seem to recall he had a lot of penalties and underperformed.

Farmer did a pretty nice job. He wasn't real quick, was really strong, and when they put him in the right spot he played well. Cam was a newbie so with that came the issues we are all aware of. By year 3 he was becoming a really good OC.

But, he also was far away the best athlete of the entire OL's in the last 4 years. Athletically, none of them compared. I "think" after year 2, had he become disenchanted with NU, he would had a lot of offers to transfer as he was just coming into his own, and his best days were ahead of him.

Then NU started bringing in a lot of big kids that were generally not athletic, lacked quicknesss, and did not have good feet. But, they were tall.
The best athlete, in my opinion, is Corcoran and the 2nd best athlete in the OL is likely Piper. But, neither could play OT, and Corcoran was much better at OG and was not good as an LT or RT.

Then we have Benhart. Big, immobile, and maybe he has a good topside, and I just can't see it. Maybe he will prove me wrong. NU brought in Nouilli and he has proven to be capable. Raridon is done and they've had trouble finding a position that Banks seems to fit.

NU brought in Anthony and Williams. I've only seen their action in the spring game, and was not overly impressed with either. Teddy has a great upside and its a shame he got injured. I had hopes for Lutovsky? and maybe he pans out. I hope so.

What we've generally been left with is an over abundance of OL who, other than a couple exceptions, just have no recovery ability. In other words, because of their size, their generally poor feet, and of course the coaching philosophy have made them easy targets for really athletic DE's.

Because of their lack of recovery ability, once that DE or DL gets past their shoulder their lack of feet prevents them from kicking them out or just riding them to the outside, and as we've seen, even a lot of whiffs.

Every OL on the planet is going to get beat, especially with the athleticism some of those DE's in the 6-4 260# range. That's a given. You try to protect from the inside/out, instead NU has failed to protect from the outside/in. Then NU was also plagued last year with Piper at OG, and he really struggled. I hope he lands at OC, cause that likely fits his physical gifts better than taking on a DL in space.

I'm just kind of rambling here, but Teddy, Noulli, Hixson, Corcoran and either Anthony or maybe Lutovsky could become a decent line. Here I go again, but one more good RT and NU improves greatly. I think as much as the addition of Mathis added to the DL, a good quality RT could have that same impact on the OL.

Pardon all my bitching, cause this year it is becoming obvious the staff is really focused on making the entire team better. If NU stands pat and this is the group of talent available, so be it. We can all wish for the best and hope Raiola will have this line perform at the level their physical talent allow them.

Even something so elementary as cutting down on the proceedure calls, minimizing the holding calls, and the jumping offsides would be a big help.
NU has to arrive at the day when they quit letting these type mistakes influence the play calling and altering the down and distance.

I'm just so glad that Austin is gone. I never disliked him, I just thought his approach wasn't in sync to the type of athletes NU was rolling out in the OL.

I came away for the spring game thinking this OL is gonna get crushed. Time after time the line just broke down. It looked like they were getting manhandled by our DL, which I viewed as an overall weak unit.
Now with the new additions, I can just imagine how ugly it can get in practice.

By the way, if NU were to land a nice OL, I would just be looking for something else to bitch about.
Former 4 star from Oklahoma could be nice for us to try for:

Reactions: HominidHusker
Even those with one year of eligibility but yet have only played in one game? I am sure they will suddenly become great when they hit our campus.
As much as I go on about NU hopefully landing 1 or 2 more OL, this young man would not be in that discussion. Looks like he was a highly rated player out of high school who just hasn't produced anything.

I wouldn't have an issue if he were, say a R Fr or So, but to bring in a kid for one year based on his career would do nothing for NU. In fact, in the event he might even take up snaps that would be better served by an NU OL that has 2 or more seasons yet to maybe contribute.

Even those kids, Anthony and Williams started 23 and 19 games respectfully over their careers. So at least they have been in the battle.

Hopefully they don't need multiple seasons to gel... Cuz they don't have that much time.
There are actually teams out there that have had more than 14 transfer in a season and the results have been "mixed."

Last year, Michigan State brought in a lot of kids and, for MSU's standards, they had a really big year.

Two years ago, Maryland brought in a ton of new kids, and started off winning a couple games against patsies scoring 79 and 63 points a game. Then they matched up against Penn State and got smoked like 59-0, and then just completely collapsed.

I think at that point, I figured this was an example of a bunch of transfers who started off well, then when things went south, or started to go south, all of a sudden became a team of individuals and the team concept may have no longer mattered. Just my opinion.

The portal is our schmorgasbord
00165705-Scandinavian-buffet-smorgasbord.jpg

Even those with one year of eligibility but yet have only played in one game? I am sure they will suddenly become great when they hit our campus.
Yeah- my comments were nothing specific about him, just to slip in the red river leads to the sea of red.

I’m not sure if your description makes him sound promising, but would only mention we had some of the worst OT performance in the nation last year, so the bar is not super high.

Yeah- my comments were nothing specific about him, just to slip in the red river leads to the sea of red.

I’m not sure if your description makes him sound promising, but would only mention we had some of the worst OT performance in the nation last year, so the bar is not super high.
Exactly. My point in posting the link to the Oklahoma lineman was to show how there really aren't a ton of solid, quality linemen in the portal. A highly rated dude who never panned out is about the best we see on there. Linemen are such a dime a dozen, the portal will probably never be the go to solution for that position group in particular. Best we can do is get all sorts of skill guys there, hope for the best with current line, build and develop them, and keep seeking HS kids to develop into starters come their junior or senior seasons.

Reactions: HominidHusker
And with coaching change there's not much inside information that he could bring along

That’s not completely accurate. The 2 guys in front of him last year will both end high draft picks. And Wynn did play significant snaps when DJ Dale went down last year.

He also has 2 years left if he wants. I think that’s great for us but was bad for him at Bama. Their D-Line is pretty deep. He needed to come some place willing to invest 2 years in him
Anybody dissing this pick up is a fool. Big kid with a lot of talent. If he comes in and works, he has more natural talent than any interior lineman currently on our roster. He needs to put in the work but he can really help us.

Anybody dissing this pick up is a fool. Big kid with a lot of talent. If he comes in and works, he has more natural talent than any interior lineman currently on our roster. He needs to put in the work but he can really help us.
If everything clicks for this kid, not a given, he has the tools to really elevate the DL. I think it's human nature, to be in a backup role at Bama, to maybe take the foot off the pedal. Now he and NU have provided an outlet for him to be all that he can be. Hopefully, he excels.

NU now looks to have some good depth on the DL, and clearly Mathis should be able to provide some pass rush. Hopefully, with a big run stopper in the middle, a couple of strong, hopefully improving young DL in Robinson and Nash, and a workhorse like Drew seems to give NU at least a chance to stop the run.

We know Nelson has the engine revved and ready to give it all he has.

If NU had everyone on the DL revved like Nelson every live snap, now we're talking. I've always believed offense is execution and defense is emotion.

I think Fisher has enough overall talent to be able to put a good unit on the field. The LB's are still young and improving, but overall, the addition of those new transfers has transformed this into what could be a really nice, solid unit.

In hindsight, losing Casey and the other DL has proved to be a good thing. It forced NU to become aggressive in filling some dire needs along the DL. I doubt any of us, myself included, could have hoped to fill in this DL issue as well as it appears to have turned out.

You destroy your own argument when you call others a "fool" and qualify him with an "if" and finally the standard is to "help us" whatever that is.

Truth is he was highly rated out of HS, went to one if the premier programs in the country for talent and development and yet he has played in one game?

I would love for him to make a splash and get some headlines, something has been standing in the way thus far.

You destroy your own argument when you call others a "fool" and qualify him with an "if" and finally the standard is to "help us" whatever that is.

Truth is he was highly rated out of HS, went to one if the premier programs in the country for talent and development and yet he has played in one game?

I would love for him to make a splash and get some headlines, something has been standing in the way thus far.
Most of the time you're relatively negative. Without changing the mean of what dingle may have meant, to me, when you say "help us" whatever that is, is pretty damn clear. IF he is BETTER than what we have, by default he will help us.

If I were take all your words literally there would be an issue of "huh?"

Not all the kid NU has signed thru the portal were bench warmers. Mathis, Drew played plenty and still sought a different opportunity.

Maybe the coaches are doing a good job of selling these prospective kids on how they can improve their game at NU? Or, as YOU said in Post # 28, "The coaches must be doing an excellent job of convincing these kids how they will fit in at Nebraska."

Maybe it's no more than that tru.

Maybe they are selling Wynn on the potential for a lot more playing time than he will have at Bama. Not all kids were born to warm the bench. Maybe he didn't click with the DL coach at Bama, maybe those kids in front of him were just better. That's not an issue at NU.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Several on here do not agree with me, and that's fine. When I talk about A PLAYER, I try to at least give, in my opinion, the reason why or why not he meets the test.

I.E. Lacks aggression, slow feet, bad angle into contact. Once I say what I feel is the drawback, others can agree or not. But, you arbitrarily talk about these kids but offer no real substance.

Why won't Wynn be better than what NU currently has? Is he too slow, too lazy, not motivated....why? It's fine to be a counter-puncher when you are criticizing the thoughts of others, but put yourself out there once in a while and tell people the reasons WHY something won't work.

Dingle, Nikki, WV, myself, a LOT of others actually offer opinions. I don't agree or disagree with all they say, nor they me, but I respect what they say because at least they have a reason for saying it.

I don't see anything wrong with fans being "hopeful" that a newcomer can come in and make an impact, or at least be a meaningful contributor. But, I'm not going to just dismiss some 6'5" 320# kid from Alabama as not being able to help in a big way, regardless if he played one game or not.

He's not the only 4* or 5* kid at Bama that's been riding the pine during the Saban regime. The DB from Bama may or may not be a factor, once fall practice starts it won't take long to find out.

Not wanting to get into a pizzing contest, just willing to give the kid a chance at a new environment without dismissing him. NU doesn't need him to be a Jason Peter, Crick or Suh, we just need him to be a level better than what we had before he showed up on campus. I think that's doable and I mean that literally.

Most of the time you're relatively negative. Without changing the mean of what dingle may have meant, to me, when you say "help us" whatever that is, is pretty damn clear. IF he is BETTER than what we have, by default he will help us.

If I were take all your words literally there would be an issue of "huh?"

Not all the kid NU has signed thru the portal were bench warmers. Mathis, Drew played plenty and still sought a different opportunity.

Maybe the coaches are doing a good job of selling these prospective kids on how they can improve their game at NU? Or, as YOU said in Post # 28, "The coaches must be doing an excellent job of convincing these kids how they will fit in at Nebraska."

Maybe it's no more than that tru.

Maybe they are selling Wynn on the potential for a lot more playing time than he will have at Bama. Not all kids were born to warm the bench. Maybe he didn't click with the DL coach at Bama, maybe those kids in front of him were just better. That's not an issue at NU.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Several on here do not agree with me, and that's fine. When I talk about A PLAYER, I try to at least give, in my opinion, the reason why or why not he meets the test.

I.E. Lacks aggression, slow feet, bad angle into contact. Once I say what I feel is the drawback, others can agree or not. But, you arbitrarily talk about these kids but offer no real substance.

Why won't Wynn be better than what NU currently has? Is he too slow, too lazy, not motivated....why? It's fine to be a counter-puncher when you are criticizing the thoughts of others, but put yourself out there once in a while and tell people the reasons WHY something won't work.

Dingle, Nikki, WV, myself, a LOT of others actually offer opinions. I don't agree or disagree with all they say, nor they me, but I respect what they say because at least they have a reason for saying it.

I don't see anything wrong with fans being "hopeful" that a newcomer can come in and make an impact, or at least be a meaningful contributor. But, I'm not going to just dismiss some 6'5" 320# kid from Alabama as not being able to help in a big way, regardless if he played one game or not.

He's not the only 4* or 5* kid at Bama that's been riding the pine during the Saban regime. The DB from Bama may or may not be a factor, once fall practice starts it won't take long to find out.

Not wanting to get into a pizzing contest, just willing to give the kid a chance at a new environment without dismissing him. NU doesn't need him to be a Jason Peter, Crick or Suh, we just need him to be a level better than what we had before he showed up on campus. I think that's doable and I mean that literally.
Well, we were talking Wynn right? Not the other guys you mentioned. If you were following, Dingle was making a statement to a lot of people calling them a "fool".

It is one thing to be hopeful and quite another to be realistic when confronted with facts. Last I checked we haven't had a winning record under Frosts leadership.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I really hope Wynn works out for the Huskers. On the flip side, ignore if you want, his numbers. Results are what matter, we haven't had them for a while.

Wynn was co-listed as #2 NT to begin last season at Bama and #3 against Auburn. Spot player or in the rotation, depending on the game or players available. He’s good to be a rotational player at NU, and may end up playing quite a bit.
Drew got a lot of snaps at TX Tech, and is projected as a 3 tech at NU.

Well, we were talking Wynn right? Not the other guys you mentioned. If you were following, Dingle was making a statement to a lot of people calling them a "fool".

It is one thing to be hopeful and quite another to be realistic when confronted with facts. Last I checked we haven't had a winning record under Frosts leadership.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I really hope Wynn works out for the Huskers. On the flip side, ignore if you want, his numbers. Results are what matter, we haven't had them for a while.
Trust me, I've been at the bottom of the Frost fanclub for the majority of 4 years. I don't dislike SF, his lack of results is what myself and others, including you, dislike.

Like yourself, I hope Wynn works out also. His numbers at Bama are irrelevant at Nebraska. When a player is stuck behind one or two potentially great players, his numbers will be lacking, no?

In the last decade, how many NU DL do you figure would have started or been 2nd team at Bama?

I hope you didn't take it personally like dingle was calling you a fool, because it was a comment that was wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I've had some run-ins with dingle also, but the man is entitled to his opinion, as we all are.

Anyhow, thank you for all your comments. Since we are in a really slow time it's just as well we get some of this crap out in the open before we actually get to comment on the players on the field performance, or lack thereof.

Have a good one.

Wynn was co-listed as #2 NT to begin last season at Bama and #3 against Auburn. Spot player or in the rotation, depending on the game or players available. He’s good to be a rotational player at NU, and may end up playing quite a bit.
Drew got a lot of snaps at TX Tech, and is projected as a 3 tech at NU.
One of the upsides is NU doesn't have to throw Nash into the lion's den as a necessity. Being able to have Dawson work with him while having the newcomers eat up a lot of snaps, has to be a really good thing.

Our players on both sides of the line have been sub par for most seasons and much of their performance or lack of has to do with coaching. I believe the DL was coming around under Tuioti and was disappointed to see him move on to Oregon. I can say I'm not disappointed to see Austin replaced and I'm very happy to see Frost give up the reigns to Whipple as OC.

Now Frost needs to let Whipple run the offense and let Raiola do what he does, get some snarl back with his OL group and we should finally have a winning season. In short Frost needs to keep his hands out of things and let his assistant coaches coach, if any fail he needs to make a course correction sooner rather than later.

Here's the bright spot to what has been a very disappointing four years under SF leadership, we have an AD who's not afraid to make changes and that includes the HC at Nebraska. It's time for the men at the university to do their end part for the athletic program because the women have done a fantastic job. jmo

We are going to find out if Wynn is any good pretty soon and I'm pretty sure he is good. You don't rise to number two on the depth chart at Alabama if you're not a player. There is no way Nick Saban would allow a average player to be number two on the depth chart and just an injury away from starting.

Alabama plays for SEC championships each year and for the National Championship almost every year. Now I think about Nebraska and the DL talent we have currently, would anyone on the depth chart other than Wynn be slotted in at number two at Alabama?

I wonder if Drew would be a number two at Alabama, I mean there is a difference between Texas Tech and Alabama and the BIG12 and the SEC for that matter. I wish I knew how this thing is going to play out but who really knows for sure.

I will say and believe we are better right now than we were a year ago on the DL and that wasn't the case just a few months ago. The talent on the DL has been upgraded and baring any major injuries we have the body types to play and win in the BIG. jmo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT