ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! How much longer is John Cook going to coach?

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
I hope for several more years. When Cook does step down I hope the bosses at UNL have a plan in place for Cook's successor. Big big shoes to fill, for sure.

I hope for several more years. When Cook does step down I hope the bosses at UNL have a plan in place for Cook's successor. Big big shoes to fill, for sure.

When he does eventually step down, NU will have the pick of the litter to replace him, including the option to hire one of his many protégés that are now leading successful programs of their own.

Cook may have someone in mind too and could potentially work out a deal before he retires. Many people either forget this or may not be aware of it, but Terry Pettit essentially handpicked Cook as his successor, and asked him to come back as an assistant for a year to smooth the transition. So Cook left the head coaching job at Wisconsin in 1998 and served as an assistant under Pettit for one year in 1999 before taking over as head coach in 2000. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar arrangement happen between Cook and his successor.

The Cook coaching tree is large. Nebraska should be able to hire one of the best coaches in the country to replace him when the time comes.

Still amazed how smooth the Terry Pettit transition was executed. Hire "head coach in waiting" as assistant for one year. When done, smoothly ride off into the sunset with championships following. If only football had been so smooth.

Have Miles report to Cook. Freakin awesome coach!

There was an article a few years back that talked about how Cook was looking to retire. This was before the Devaney Center was remodeled for volleyball. I don't remember all the specifics, but I believe he was getting somewhat bored and burned out. He was then offered a lot of input in the Devaney project and it reinvigorated him. I have no idea how much longer he will coach, but my guess is somewhere around 5 more years. He's done an amazing job and has earned his retirement whenever he decides to take it.

Reactions: SOHusker11
[Insert Sandlot "Forever" gif]

Pretty sure he told a commit, who is a sophomore in HS I think, that he would be here to coach her throughout her career at NU. So, at least 7 or 8 more years?

I have a feeling Cook will want Busboom to be the next coach. I think it should be Chris Tamas.

Do not forget about Christie Johnson either. Another former Husker!

Watching DVR right now. WereW not playing clean. I don't see us getting out of this regional. I will watch the Minnesota game. Might change my thoughts

Watching DVR right now. WereW not playing clean. I don't see us getting out of this regional. I will watch the Minnesota game. Might change my thoughts

Debbie-Downer-Negative-Nellies-Confront-them-isolate-them-or-cut-them-loose.jpg

Well that would make him 62 years young. Shoot, he could coach to at least 70. 70 today is the 50 of yesteryear. Stay the course coach. Great job.

So your telling me that today 60 is now the 40 of yester year..Lol no way in hell my friend..;)

Reactions: Can o' corn
I think Cook should retire from coaching at the same time Moos retires as AD, and then take over that role.

Cook should be the highest paid coach at the university with as much as he's accomplished. Just incredible the level of consistency he has attained with his teams over the years.

He's not looking to retire ANYTIME soon, it would take a health issue to force it. He has Russ as a mentor in this regard.

IMO it's way too early to be talking about Cook replacements. He has quite a few more years left and things change rapidly each year.

Reactions: TFrazier
ADVERTISEMENT