ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! How can anyone still be happy with Riley?

swan and stallworth minus bradshaw… dupper and claton minus marino…rice minus montana..ect.
"3 things can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad"- Bob Devany
so either riley gets a bradshaw marino or montana..or we become ksu and ku in the 80's with passing numbers and a lot of defeats..

Reactions: ExxHusker
Better talent? really? perhaps at receiver position and defensive tackle--that is it.
Riley deserves another two years--
All the former players and coaches are behind the guy--we need to give him a realistic chance.
I have no issue with giving MR more time but it should be 1 year at a time. If there is enough improvement he gets another year. Below .500 next year should result in being fired. If it doesn't then that's 1 step closer to accepting mediocrity or worse than mediocrity.

swan and stallworth minus bradshaw… dupper and claton minus marino…rice minus montana..ect.
"3 things can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad"- Bob Devany
so either riley gets a bradshaw marino or montana..or we become ksu and ku in the 80's with passing numbers and a lot of defeats..

Two of the three things that can happen when you run the football are bad too.

There's a huge difference between being happy with Riley and wanting to give him a chance. IMO, there are very few people that are happy with what's going on right now. The people who "seem" happy realize that it may take time.

Who's seems Happy being last in the B1G West? I don't see Riley succeeding if he doesn't make changes with in his defensive staff mainly defensive Coordinator.

I realize he inherited a new team with a different mind set because of the former Head Coach but losing the last 2 weeks shows me we are not improving with 3 games left.

It's like the same people with the same argument s defending Bo. We have better talent overall than every team on our schedule except MSU.
If you think we have more talent than everybody but MSU, you are delusional Not happy with the results, but the talent level of this team is in the bottom third of power 5 conference schools..

There's a huge difference between being happy with Riley and wanting to give him a chance. IMO, there are very few people that are happy with what's going on right now. The people who "seem" happy realize that it may take time.
Can you show me where the improvements have come from between game 1 and game 9 to make me feel better about giving this staff more time?

Can you show me where the improvements have come from between game 1 and game 9 to make me feel better about giving this staff more time?

Largely irrelevant.

SE won't be fired before June 30 (if he's fired at all), and no one wants SE making the next hire. Independent of what transpires on the field, it means we have probably at least one more year.

What happens on the field will largely determine if its 2 or 3 more years.

Maybe we just are able to think that there may be a lot more factors than just coaching going on here. That, yes, there are warts with the staff that are magnified by other things.

Reactions: Crushinator
Largely irrelevant.

SE won't be fired before June 30 (if he's fired at all), and no one wants SE making the next hire. Independent of what transpires on the field, it means we have probably at least one more year.

What happens on the field will largely determine if its 2 or 3 more years.
Lack of improvement or even regression is irrelevant to thinking a coach deserves more time? Are you even replying to this thread?

Your right but whats more likely fumble/no gain vs incomplete pass/interception?

That's all I was getting at. Devaney's quote isn't about odds, its simply about potential outcomes. The number of potential bad outcomes is the same.

Its nice quote and I love it though.

Lack of improvement or even regression is irrelevant to thinking a coach deserves more time? Are you even replying to this thread?

Its irrelevant at this point in time yes.

People are calling for Perlman to fire the AD and the Coach. Perlman is not going to fire the AD. The AD is not going to act on his own and admit guilt.

People who want immediate firings have no lever arm until June 30, when all the best coaches will long be gone. We are a team looking for a coach next year, at the earliest.

Those facts have nothing to do with events on the field between now and June 30.

Maybe we just are able to think that there may be a lot more factors than just coaching going on here. That, yes, there are warts with the staff that are magnified by other things.
So, I'm not missing improvements? Cause I was really hoping I was. For 9 months all I heard was coaching them up. For 9 games all I've seen was regression.

Fire him!! Do it!!

Then see what kind of a coaching staff you get! Players you recruit!!

Don't be stupid.

Where events on the field transpire is "how much time". If there is no improvement next season, then we look for a coach next year. If Riley has a solid year next year, there will probably be a third year. If he has a stellar year, there will probably be at least a couple more.

I don't see any way that Riley and SE are not on the payroll after this season.

Its irrelevant at this point in time yes.

People are calling for Perlman to fire the AD and the Coach. Perlman is not going to fire the AD. The AD is not going to act on his own and admit guilt.

People who want immediate firings have no lever arm until June 30, when all the best coaches will long be gone. We are a team looking for a coach next year, at the earliest.

Those facts have nothing to do with events on the field between now and June 30.
I'm reading the OP as asking about fans being happy with. If Eichorst were fired today I'd be doing my happy dance. But I'm not expecting it.
I'm just trying to search for some positives here to see some hope.

The first thing that needs to happen is players not on board need to be shown the door. There's ample film to make this determination. Riley and his staff are being undermined at every turn. The bleeding needs to be stopped or there won't be anything left to save.

Reactions: BornNBredRed
I'm reading the OP as asking about fans being happy with. If Eichorst were fired today I'd be doing my happy dance. But I'm not expecting it.

Personally I think there's too much shit storm going on to assign blame X% to Coaches and Y% to players and all that. Cancers will be cut, transitions will continue, players will develop and a clearer picture will present itself next year.

Coaching is not blameless by any means, but injuries and lack of "want to" by the players generally would lead to the same visible symptoms we see on the field. A mantra we see out of the former player base.

So, I'm not missing improvements? Cause I was really hoping I was. For 9 months all I heard was coaching them up. For 9 games all I've seen was regression.

So, just because you haven seen improvements over 9 games without knowing what other big picture items could be a factor makes you want to blow this whole thing up and start from scratch again? Gotcha.

Reactions: Crushinator
Personally I think there's too much shit storm going on to assign blame X% to Coaches and Y% to players and all that. Cancers will be cut, transitions will continue, players will develop and a clearer picture will present itself next year.

Coaching is not blameless by any means, but injuries and lack of "want to" by the players generally would lead to the same visible symptoms we see on the field. A mantra we see out of the former player base.
I'm sorry, but I just don't see this as a shit storm problem, rather than a game planning problem. We went into a game against the worst rushing defense in the B1G planning on throwing the ball with a walk on backup starting his first game. Do you think these players don't understand how stupid that is.

Not happy with the results, but the talent level of this team is in the bottom third of power 5 conference schools..
Totally disagree. Wow. Some people think that with a little less bad luck we would be undefeated. Some people think we have no talent. Truth is if our coaches would effectively utilized the talent we have and not make inexplicable game management and game plan decisions we have the talent to win the west. The run was there from the start this weekend and we took ourselves out of the opportunity. No common sense on that staff. Put Ryker in a tough spot for no reason.

Reactions: Gimmered
So, just because you haven seen improvements over 9 games without knowing what other big picture items could be a factor makes you want to blow this whole thing up and start from scratch again? Gotcha.
Actually I've said I'd give Riley 1 more year, but if we don't I'd be happy there too. I see no hope that he will make us a better team in 2 years or 10 years. The longer we wait the longer it will take to get the recruits for the new system.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see this as a shit storm problem, rather than a game planning problem. We went into a game against the worst rushing defense in the B1G planning on throwing the ball with a walk on backup starting his first game. Do you think these players don't understand how stupid that is.

Well you are changing the target. Any specific nit pick like play calling we can certainly lay blame with a little confidence.

However stringing together the entire season and doling out percentages is quite hard to do given the roughly forty total staters we've tried and attitude issues and the whole bit.

It's like the same people with the same argument s defending Bo. We have better talent overall than every team on our schedule except MSU.

I disagree with your talent evaluation. Ask yourselves how many Huskers will make the Big10 all conference teams? I will help out here, the answer is 3. Foltz second team, Collins and Westy third team. So if we have better talent, where the heck is it? Far too many buy into the hype from message board personalities as to the greatness of the Huskers. Try to be a bit more
objective. When you have only 3 guys possibly make even a third string all conference team we have a long long way to go.

Well you are changing the target. Any specific nit pick like play calling we can certainly lay blame with a little confidence.

However stringing together the entire season and doling out percentages is quite hard to do given the roughly forty total staters we've tried and attitude issues and the whole bit.
The game plan doesn't happen on Saturday it happens Sunday-Friday. This isn't about play calling. It is about crap game planning and the players know it. The players understand this staff doesn't get it. Why wouldn't there be attitude issues.

I disagree with your talent evaluation. Ask yourselves how many Huskers will make the Big10 all conference teams? I will help out here, the answer is 3. Foltz second team, Collins and Westy third team. So if we have better talent, where the heck is it? Far too many buy into the hype from message board personalities as to the greatness of the Huskers. Try to be a bit more
objective. When you have only 3 guys possibly make even a third string all conference team we have a long long way to go.
Does Purdue have better talent than Nebraska?

Reactions: ExxHusker
I haven't seen a happy person on this board.. What are you talking about? When it's all said and done the man deserves a chance to right the ship.. I have my doubts but he does deserve a chance..

Does Purdue have better talent than Nebraska?

Yes with all the guys out yesterday they do. MRI,Cockrell, DPE, Tommy, Newby, Gates are huge losses and their replacements are not close in talent.

No matter what anyone says it won't change what you already think. If someone throws out a positive you'll just poo poo on it.

Well, maybe if the defense had been able to make a stop, we wouldn't have been put in the position to pass all the time. My God, have you not been watching all year? We can't stop anyone on defense, and can't run the ball worth a crap, which means we get into "shootouts" with every freaking team we play.

Well, maybe if the defense had been able to make a stop, we wouldn't have been put in the position to pass all the time. My God, have you not been watching all year? We can't stop anyone on defense, and can't run the ball worth a crap, which means we get into "shootouts" with every freaking team we play.
Didn't have to be that way. The run was there early on if we committed to it and we could have controlled the game. Purdue was vulnerable but we helped them out with our (lack of) game plan.

We had just as many key injuries in 2013 (Martinez, Bell, Long, Cotton, Turner, to name a few). Still found a way to win a lot more games against a more difficult schedule.

Purdue had injuries and suspensions as well. Their QB is a freshman who's only started 4 games. This wasn't a talented, experienced team we lost to. It was one of the worst teams in the country who probably won't beat another FBS team this season.

Patience, Prudence and Ethics ...

Lose 6 games by 23 points ... "That's Football"

I predicted a Nebraska loss @ Purdue. Purdue was struggling all season long, but showed signs of life @ Michigan State (8-0) and @ Marshall (7-1). They have a young team.

Nebraska was starting a former walk-on quarterback. Quarterback play is so important in College Football. It is is the difference from being good and often not being good.

Nebraska lost a boat load of talent from the 2014 team. They have been competitive in basically every game, though they were ugly at Purdue.

Nothing to be happy with losing close games. But, the win at Minnesota was a quality win for a 3-6 team that is not perfect and has a lot of needs.

Best wishes to Mike Riley at Nebraska. The picture below reminds me a little of the youth of my nephew foootball player at Creighton Prep.

DZCIADNXJVOCVCC.20150307202750.JPG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT