ADVERTISEMENT

WOW - Barfnecht takes a belated chunk out of the Pelini coaching hide

I read it and had no problems with it whatsoever. When you have a complete regime change, some degree of comparison is to be expected.

The article says more about Barfnecht than it does about Pelini.

Pelini is gone. Because he didn't win enough and hated Eichorst. Enough said.

Riley will be judged on wins and losses, not smiles and gee whizzes.

And Barfnecht will be as irrelevant as ever.

Originally posted by nufaninouland:

Really? A coach is judged on wins and losses? Thanks for the scoop. If you can't see the difference in approach of this staff and how it will translate to the field then we can't help you.

The "meetings actually start on time", "lift the weights you're supposed to" and the "duck and cover" when things go wrong are great points here.

Being the friend coach and not making the players responsible is never the right approach. They need the father figure....not the older brother and his buddies.

Originally posted by ssmith84:
The article could have just been about Riley instead of giving Bo more 15 minutes of fame.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I doubt anyone would look at it as giving Bo more time in the press. I think it is exactly as it is. It's toxicity vs positivity; whining vs appreciation; arrogance vs humility.

I'm glad he wrote the article. If for nothing else other than making its way back to Bo and letting him know how much of a whiny, sniveling, ungrateful POS he is. And before you say that we all should have moved forward by now, all I can say is that I have moved forward, but it's nice to see Barfy call a spade a spade.

This post was edited on 4/13 9:12 AM by Hoosker Du

I'm not normally a fan of Barfnecht's, but I also don't have a problem with this piece. I think Lee is exposed to many coaching staffs around the B1G and can see first hand the upgrade in organizational leadership in this new staff.

My main beef with Lee is that he seems to hate doing the online chats. When anyone asks a question, his typical response is "I wouldn't know."

Well, Lee, you have more insight and access to the teams than we do. We understand the questions are just your opinion, like picking a winner of a game, so it's OK if you're wrong.

Might have been more helpful to write about this stuff a few years ago when Bo was still here.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:

Might have been more helpful to write about this stuff a few years ago when Bo was still here.
"This stuff" was written, and the masses downplayed the journalists as haters. Not only that, it was also mentioned on this message board multiple times, and the masses didn't disappoint with their hater comments.

As I said a few years back, the truth eventually comes out...

Originally posted by ssmith84:
The article could have just been about Riley instead of giving Bo more 15 minutes of fame.
I thought it was a good article. He was only doing a comparison. Just glad to be rid of that trash.

It's kind of strange for me having grown up in Nebraska. Everything was all Big Red back then. Now, I'm reading between the lines, but it seems like in-state players consider going to other schools. So, to me it looks like the luster is fading (or has already faded).

I like the article. These journalists need to tell it like it is. The fan base as a whole needs to move on, and this kind of article can help do just that.

The bag of skittles would ruin the playing surface, all the players would get that thing where you eat the skittles and then you hock up the most giant, disgusting lugie of your entire life when you're done. The field would be riddled with those, and you know that's not coming out just with a light rain. Disgusting.

Bo did it his way....if it would have resulted in more wins and a conference championship or 2 along the way....I think he would still be working here. But it didn't - and frankly he had exhausted his ability to improve things (new assistants, admin details, training, motivational techniques - aka Bo's bunker - and of course recruiting).

It is easy to take pot shots when the guy that held your access to the team in his hands is gone.....right Lee?

I suppose I had heard all that about late meetings, etc. before, but I appreciated the article calling attention to all the BS I had sort of forgotten about. If you saw the Riley staff meeting snippet during the BTN telecast of the game, it looked like a freaking board meeting of a Fortune 500 company. Hope to God this staff wins so the good feelings continue.

chairshot.r191677.gif

I don't know if you saw the press conference when Eichorst fired Pelini. He cited none of these things as the reason for the change. However, Eichorst is on the record that the he made the change to win championships and the games that matter. We should be enjoying the fact that Riley and his staff are a swell bunch of guys. It would be disappointing to find that the Greatest Fans in College Football (seriously, when will NU trademark this) are only interested in having their egos stroked and not winning championships and the games that matter.

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:

I don't know if you saw the press conference when Eichorst fired Pelini. He cited none of these things as the reason for the change.
Don't care.

Tom Osborne is Nebraska football, I read it here for years so whatever he says goes. That's how it works.

yawn. sportswriters are the biggest bunch of nancies I've ever seen. so eager to write stuff like this when the guy's gone, but scared out of their minds to put their name on it when the guy is still here. Yeah, Barfy is more outspoken than most, but it's always hint hint, read between the lines BS instead of just laying things out there like was done today.

Originally posted by cubsker:

yawn. sportswriters are the biggest bunch of nancies I've ever seen. so eager to write stuff like this when the guy's gone, but scared out of their minds to put their name on it when the guy is still here. Yeah, Barfy is more outspoken than most, but it's always hint hint, read between the lines BS instead of just laying things out there like was done today.
Not all sportswriters. Some spoke their mind throughout the years then would get a phone call from Pelini, or Osborne, or a Booster, or a Regent or their editor got an earful from people with pull and it stopped. Or, their access was cut off and one can't be a beat writer for a football team without access.

I understand what you're trying to say, the ones that didn't have a backbone still don't but Barf and Dirk went after Pelini plenty enough. Heck, we had radio guys go after Pelini, till phone calls happened.

that's always the argument. if you get a call from TO or a booster, then write an article about that. What are they so afraid of? Barfy doesn't need access anyway given the topics he writes on. My guess is that he's fed the kind of stuff he wrote about today from sources he's developed over the years so the university really can't do a thing to him. I'd love to see the reaction if TO, the AD, Pelini, or anyone tried to cut off OWH access. That would last all of five minutes.

that's always the argument. if you get a call from TO or a booster, then write an article about that. What are they so afraid of? Barfy doesn't need access anyway given the topics he writes on. My guess is that he's fed the kind of stuff he wrote about today from sources he's developed over the years so the university really can't do a thing to him. I'd love to see the reaction if TO, the AD, Pelini, or anyone tried to cut off OWH access. That would last all of five minutes.
Yeah but if your editor isn't trying let the sports section turn into a place where you tell all the tales out of school about the football program, then you need to choose between doing that and having a job.

It's one thing for me to once in a while write a little blog that bashes on the team because nobody knows or cares who I am, and I don't make my living off needing to have access to players and coaches.

It's always the truth hence why it's the answer. You assume nobody has written about it, it still has to pass their editor to go to print. Barf has been vocal about Pelini for awhile now, this isn't anything new, he just does it a different way. Regardless, although you're right about the topics he chooses to write about, he is still employed by the OWH and the OWH needs access to the program. It's happened before, and lasted longer than 5 minutes.

ah, but now there's no problem in all the tales out of school coming out. maybe the editors are the gutless ones, who knows? If they want to keep their mouths shut, then they should stay shut for good.

ah, but now there's no problem in all the tales out of school coming out. maybe the editors are the gutless ones, who knows? If they want to keep their mouths shut, then they should stay shut for good.
The article was criticism, but it wasn't really tales out of school. Once a player says in front of reporters "the meetings actually start on time" NOW they get to run with it because it just became a public comment. But if they start printing rumors and quoting unnamed sources about what went on behind closed doors, or they turn around and write an article about how Bo called up and cussed them out for writing a critical piece, you're going down a very different road.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:

The article was criticism, but it wasn't really tales out of school. Once a player says in front of reporters "the meetings actually start on time" NOW they get to run with it because it just became a public comment. But if they start printing rumors and quoting unnamed sources about what went on behind closed doors, or they turn around and write an article about how Bo called up and cussed them out for writing a critical piece, you're going down a very different road.
Ding, ding, ding.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

It's always the truth hence why it's the answer. You assume nobody has written about it, it still has to pass their editor to go to print. Barf has been vocal about Pelini for awhile now, this isn't anything new, he just does it a different way. Regardless, although you're right about the topics he chooses to write about, he is still employed by the OWH and the OWH needs access to the program. It's happened before, and lasted longer than 5 minutes.
I'm yet to see the Barfy or Shatel article detailing calls from boosters, regents, TO, or how their access is going to be revoked if they don't play ball. The Daily Nebraskan, sure, but no one really cares about their access. The OWH would be a different story if Shatel wrote about that. And it's not like anything earth shattering was ever shared anyway. What did the OWH's access really get them (or us)? Maybe some recruiting stuff for Sam. The rest is all BS puff pieces where the LJS and OWH basically write the same story on the same player (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). Maybe those puff pieces still sell papers, but to me, there's no journalistic integrity when you withhold information for years to get your access and then drop that information when it's safe and now worthless. ymmv

I'm yet to see the Barfy or Shatel article detailing calls from boosters, regents, TO, or how their access is going to be revoked if they don't play ball.
Nowhere did I say they did and the last part, I sure hope you're trolling just to troll.

This post was edited on 4/13 3:11 PM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

I'm yet to see the Barfy or Shatel article detailing calls from boosters, regents, TO, or how their access is going to be revoked if they don't play ball. The Daily Nebraskan, sure, but no one really cares about their access. The OWH would be a different story if Shatel wrote about that. And it's not like anything earth shattering was ever shared anyway. What did the OWH's access really get them (or us)? Maybe some recruiting stuff for Sam. The rest is all BS puff pieces where the LJS and OWH basically write the same story on the same player (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). Maybe those puff pieces still sell papers, but to me, there's no journalistic integrity when you withhold information for years to get your access and then drop that information when it's safe and now worthless. ymmv
The stories are out there. I've heard it alluded to on multiple occasions that if you wrote a piece casting the team in an unflattering light, you could expect Bo to make your phone ring and light you up for it.

C'mon, are you kidding me? The football program sells newspapers for the OWH...period. And you think Pelini wouldn't shut the door on the OWH?? He would do it in an instant if a truthful article came out like Barf wrote today or yesterday. His job is his livelihood, and he would have been in big trouble if he wrote what he wrote when Bo was here.

I have absolutely no problem with this due to the timing of the article. I thought it was very well written. If it's written 3-5 years from now then that's a problem.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

chairshot.r191677.gif
Exactly.....his resume should say fired for being a complete dbag.

The stories are out there. I've heard it alluded to on multiple occasions that if you wrote a piece casting the team in an unflattering light, you could expect Bo to make your phone ring and light you up for it.
Wait a minute.

Bo said he didn't have time to read the newspapers.

Originally posted by HuskerJack95:
Wait a minute.

Bo said he didn't have time to read the newspapers.
He didn't have to. He had at least one assistant that monitored the media and message boards. Media members weren't the only ones that were "influenced". The level of paranoia of "that other guy" was amazing. That was a great article from Barfnecht.

ADVERTISEMENT