ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take Dantonio over Harbaugh?

He lost a lot of senior starters last year and just lost a close game to Michigan State giving up only 252 yards on defense and 14 points in spite of turning the ball over 5 times. This all to the number 21 ranked team. I think JH will do just fine.

5 turnovers? Clearly undisciplined sh*tty football. Looks like Langsdork football to me. Did I get that right?

40, 22, 22, 18, 30 Those are the last five recruiting classes of Dantonio. That's worse than Bo and Mike. The guy can't recruit. When you add in the rogue elements of his program I'm not inclined to take him.

14 players drafted in the last 2 drafts. So far, at Michigan, he has shown he is a better coach at Michigan than Brady Hoke was.

He basically has done what Bo Pelini did at Nebraska with Bill Callahan recruits, without the division titles, getting paid about $6mil more per year
Pointed out that aspect.

Some would hate him, Michigan threw the ball 11 out of 14 plays in the 3rd quarter during heavy rain, three passes turned into interceptions. The run the ball crowd who have called for him to be fired after that.
I dont think it would be the run the ball crowd you would have issues with Dantonio - It would be the " Need a saintly coach crowd"

40, 22, 22, 18, 30 Those are the last five recruiting classes of Dantonio. That's worse than Bo and Mike. The guy can't recruit. When you add in the rogue elements of his program I'm not inclined to take him.

How the hell can you say teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State don't recruit well? Doesn't the fact that they win with players they recruit mean they recruit well? Plus they put kids in the NFL.

Butch Jones recruits well...

How the hell can you say teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State don't recruit well? Doesn't the fact that they win with players they recruit mean they recruit well? Plus they put kids in the NFL.

He is making fun of the segment of our fan base who maintain that Riley will be fine once we start recruiting better. Even though he already has more paper talent than Wisconsin. NIU, and Arkansas State, for example.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. You can say they get coached up well and Dantonio should get lots of credit for that. But there is no question that MU, OSU, and PSU recruit better than you guys.

Not necessarily. You can say they get coached up well and Dantonio should get lots of credit for that. But there is no question that MU, OSU, and PSU recruit better than you guys.

Harbaugh must be an awful coach if he can';t finish higher than 3rd in his own division with all that talent.

I didn't see a single area on the field really where UM had a 'talent' gap on MSU. Weird, I know.
it's not really weird when some people are much better at coaching them up versus other people. It would be neat to see what Dantonio could do with the quality of recruits that Michigan gets.

it's not really weird when some people are much better at coaching them up versus other people. It would be neat to see what Dantonio could do with the quality of recruits that Michigan gets.

Yes--Wisconsin and MSU both have limitations. IMO the highest each of those schools can get right now is to the playoffs but not actually win them. Only MSU team that could have won it all imo was 2013. A large part was due to the fact FSU vs Auburn in the NC game that year was arguably the weakest champ game in a long time.

But, are guys like Leveon Bell who were a 2 star, and then take someone like Ty Isaac who was a 4 or 5 star--truly, was Isaac all that much more talented than Bell just because some recruiting service assigned him more stars? Our true frosh CB Scott is already very good--were UMs 4 star CBs really 'more talented'?

No doubt there are recruits like Peppers and Gary than UM lands that you know are just elite of the elite.

Guess I missed that part where you stated he inherited 13 draft picks and the 14th was a grad transfer from Iowa. Looking down the barrel of a 4 loss season with Wisconsin, Ohio St and Penn St still to play.
I said he hasn't met expectations especially in regards to rivals and hasn't played in a title game.
Sensitive you are.

I said he hasn't met expectations especially in regards to rivals and hasn't played in a title game.
Sensitive you are.

Sensitive? About Harbaugh? He has underperformed based on expectations and pay. He inherited tons of talent and has finished 3rd in the division 2 years in a row and may finish lower than that this year.

Sensitive? About Harbaugh? He has underperformed based on expectations and pay. He inherited tons of talent and has finished 3rd in the division 2 years in a row and may finish lower than that this year.
Which I pointed out....so...calm down.
It's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes.

14 players drafted in the last 2 drafts. So far, at Michigan, he has shown he is a better coach at Michigan than Brady Hoke was.

He basically has done what Bo Pelini did at Nebraska with Bill Callahan recruits, without the division titles, getting paid about $6mil more per year
He has teams in his division that made it to the playoffs each year. It's a stupid comparison. Riley can't even win the division when the best team is Wisconsin.

You do realize that Bo's winning percentage was higher his last three years using his recruits than it was the first 4 years using BC's

Why don't we hire a coach that has higher expectations? Those are expectations that he himself set because he's a good coach. He coached them a lot better than the last guy with that same talent. Where was Stanford before Harbaugh got there? He got his team to the Super Bowl with freaking Colin Kaepernick as his qb! He's obviously a great coach. And he's not underperforming based on pay. Michigan's still filling out their stadium and they're making plenty of money.

Why don't we hire a coach that has higher expectations? Those are expectations that he himself set because he's a good coach. He coached them a lot better than the last guy with that same talent. Where was Stanford before Harbaugh got there? He got his team to the Super Bowl with freaking Colin Kaepernick as his qb! He's obviously a great coach. And he's not underperforming based on pay. Michigan's still filling out their stadium and they're making plenty of money.

Not my call. I don’t make the hiring decision at Nebraska.

They aren’t paying him to fill the stadium and make money. They are paying him to win titles and so far he has a Citrus Bowl title as Michigan’s HC.

giphy.gif

Michigan screwed up when they didn't hire Mike Riley. He can do more with less. Can you imagine what he could do with a Michigan recruiting class?!?!

I would rather have Harbaugh but I don’t really have a strong opinion one way or the other. I think a lot of people place a high value on a coach that can do more with less like a Dantonio and that’s fine. I want a coach who I know can attain the talent necessary to win a title and I think Harbaugh is more equipped to do that. Obviously I’d take either in a heartbeat over our current situation. Harbaugh not showing the expected results yet at Michigan doesn’t bother me, they’ve had a few tough breaks against MSU and osu the last few years in games they should’ve won. Interesting debate though, I’m just more of a talent over everything kinda guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT