ADVERTISEMENT

Would Southern Cal be interested in Mike Riley?

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Now that Steve S. has been axed it wouldn't surprise me if Riley and USC at least swap emails or text messages or maybe a brief phone conversation. You know, once upon a time in the not-too-distant past, Riley coached at SC as a offensive coordinator. Hmmm, I wonder.

No, they would not be interested in a 62 year old coach looking like he is on the decline. If he won out this year (highly doubtful) then maybe, but by then I bet they have their guy.

He would seem like a logical choice based on their history with him and their need for a calming force. And with better talent, his game management limitations might not matter.

If I am SC it take a swing at Peterson from Washington, Briles at Baylor or Sumlin at A&M.

If it was last year, or if he was still at OSU, he could be a darkhorse candidate. His USC ties, respect among the coaching fraternity, and obvious challenges with winning at OSU might be able to overcome the age factor and mediocre-record factor at OSU. I doubt he would have gotten the job, but his name could have been thrown about for serious consideration and may have been contacted or even interviewed.

But timing is everything, and the timing is poor. At the moment, it's hard for anyone not to notice that we are currently 2-4 after seven straight seasons of 9-4 or 10-4. And big contributing factors to those losses have been clock management and penalties, which happen to be areas where coaching is supposed to have more of an effect than talent. That is really undermining the "it's hard to win at OSU" excuse for his overall winning percentage right now.

Our team could turn the corner and begin winning now, and Riley may look more like the coach many hoped for by the time USC hires their replacement in December or January. Big IFs, and still not enough for USC in my opinion.

USC fans want a sexy hire, and Riley isn't it. He might have been back in 2008 or so, but not in 2015.

Reactions: mountainmann
Why does every thread have something to do with Bo? Sick I hope they are not interested because we have a coach that has turned them down twice.

ADVERTISEMENT