ADVERTISEMENT

Worth a Read

Only thing I didn't like about it is that, yet again, there is a long effort to show that 4 or more of Lee's 7 picks in two games are to a large degree someone else's fault. But if so, then the interception stats for EVERY QB could be analyzed that way. So if Joe QB from Western State has 5 picks, let's blame 3 of them on someone else. Then he only has 2 really. Or you could go the other way too, and point out that Lee could have been picked three more times due to some bad throws. Maybe Lee will clean up the picks from here on, maybe he won't, but the interceptions are interceptions of Lee.

Only thing I didn't like about it is that, yet again, there is a long effort to show that 4 or more of Lee's 7 picks in two games are to a large degree someone else's fault. But if so, then the interception stats for EVERY QB could be analyzed that way. So if Joe QB from Western State has 5 picks, let's blame 3 of them on someone else. Then he only has 2 really. Or you could go the other way too, and point out that Lee could have been picked three more times due to some bad throws. Maybe Lee will clean up the picks from here on, maybe he won't, but the interceptions are interceptions of Lee.
Each situation needs to evaluated on its own merit. Some interceptions are due to different reasons.

Tommy's were almost always on his poor decisions or heave and hope.

Each situation needs to evaluated on its own merit. Some interceptions are due to different reasons.

Tommy's were almost always on his poor decisions or heave and hope.

Right now it is hard to fault Lee when he is the entirety of the offense at this point, with Bryant being out and the O line playing like hot garbage with WRs having crucial drops. He has to take risks because it is all on him.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Lee's thrown some other really bad balls that weren't in what the author calls high leverage situations. He now has 20+ games worth of questionable decision making and poor stats. His completion percentages by year are 55, 52, and now 53. His yards/att are 5.8, 5.9, and 6.6. He has QB ratings of 108, 110, and 110. Just for comparison's sake:

Martinez:
59, 56, 62, 63 (comp %)
8.3, 7.3, 7.8, 6.1 (yds/att)
139, 127, 142, 140 (qb rating)

Armstrong:
52, 53, 55, 51 (comp %)
7.4, 7.8, 7.5, 7.4 (yds/att)
124, 133, 129, 124 (qb rating)

This isn't some global analysis. The author takes the time to chart every snap. As such, one has the ability to carefully analyze each play. That's a much better way of drawing a conclusion about a player, scheme, play call, etc.

Lee's thrown some other really bad balls that weren't in what the author calls high leverage situations. He now has 20+ games worth of questionable decision making and poor stats. His completion percentages by year are 55, 52, and now 53. His yards/att are 5.8, 5.9, and 6.6. He has QB ratings of 108, 110, and 110. Just for comparison's sake:

Martinez:
59, 56, 62, 63 (comp %)
8.3, 7.3, 7.8, 6.1 (yds/att)
139, 127, 142, 140 (qb rating)

Armstrong:
52, 53, 55, 51 (comp %)
7.4, 7.8, 7.5, 7.4 (yds/att)
124, 133, 129, 124 (qb rating)

Yeah, but Chris Mortensen said he was great and he was the best QB at the Manning Camp. Oh wait, you are telling me now that all of these so called analysts and talent scout are just offering up their opinion.

There are also a few passes that I remember that could have easily been picked off and weren't. Like the first pass he threw this year. I am with you, the keep stats on a player and there are no excuses by any of the stats.

Yeah, but Chris Mortensen said he was great and he was the best QB at the Manning Camp. Oh wait, you are telling me now that all of these so called analysts and talent scout are just offering up their opinion.

Camps in shorts does not always equal full tackle all out games. You can look good getting off the bus but not so much in the heat of the game. Some teams play real defense I have heard.

I think putting Lee in fewer 3rd and longs would help - but my brain is struggling with how many in-accurate throws he makes and how many more INT opportunities he has had the last 2 games. He puts the ball up for grabs too many times. The other problems on offense compound that - but frankly if he can't throw accurately or make good decisions with the ball what the hell is doing as starting QB.

Did you read it at all? How many times was it explicitly said that Lee has to play better and he can't force the ball into coverage?

If you put yourself behind schedule in down and distance, the odds of bad things happening go up. Period. That's the math.

I'm sure none of you would ever boo the kid if he threw it away on 3rd and long to settle for a punt...

This offense makes me feel like I'm in some sort of hell where I have to watch Cutler and the Bears all over again. Lee "can make all the throws" but he's making stupid decisions and spending WAY too much time on his back.

I don't care who your QB is with the OL throwing lookout blocks on half his drop backs, it's gonna go badly.

I think putting Lee in fewer 3rd and longs would help - but my brain is struggling with how many in-accurate throws he makes and how many more INT opportunities he has had the last 2 games. He puts the ball up for grabs too many times. The other problems on offense compound that - but frankly if he can't throw accurately or make good decisions with the ball what the hell is doing as starting QB.

SSO has said that Lee was the best QB in practice and its not even close.

At this point, IMO, it can't hurt to try out POB and see if he's somehow a "gamer", but realize that's wishing upon a star to a large degree at this point in time.

Its quite likely the 2nd QB is the 2nd QB for a reason, and we just put Lee back in and quietly pretend like we didn't know more than the coaches.

Reactions: timnsun

SSO has said that Lee was the best QB in practice and its not even close.

At this point, IMO, it can't hurt to try out POB and see if he's somehow a "gamer", but realize that's wishing upon a star to a large degree at this point in time.

Its quite likely the 2nd QB is the 2nd QB for a reason, and we just put Lee back in and quietly pretend like we didn't know more than the coaches.
How about developing a culture that sits players who make mistakes. You know, not to demean them but to acknowledge that a mistake was made...and to let them think about it, gather their senses, and come back resolved to play better. Do this on errant passes...poorly fielded punts, dropped passes, missed blocks, and blown assignments. It would also help develop the 2nd tier players.

We used to foster that proud and effective culture. I think we should give it another try.

How about developing a culture that sits players who make mistakes. You know, not to demean them but to acknowledge that a mistake was made...and to let them think about it, gather their senses, and come back resolved to play better. Do this on errant passes...poorly fielded punts, dropped passes, missed blocks, and blown assignments. It would also help develop the 2nd tier players.

We used to foster that proud and effective culture. I think we should give it another try.
That's the thing that bothers me most about this coaching staff. They make up their minds that these are the starters and the only way they will change is if someone gets injured. Some people are practice players and some are game time performers. As Alan Iverson said " it's just practice."

The defensive staff has rotated players. There have been several stories written about it over the past week.

The offensive line has trouble with communication and you want to add more rotation to that? OK

The WR rotate like crazy.

So that leaves RB and QB.

The defensive staff has rotated players. There have been several stories written about it over the past week.

The offensive line has trouble with communication and you want to add more rotation to that? OK

So that leaves RB and QB.[/QU

Helpful. Thanks.

Let's put you back there and let them sack you (drill you) 6 times and knock you on your ass 7 times as you release the ball and see how accurate you are. Hell Aaron Rodgers struggles when his O line is having problems. Lee makes some mistakes but there is no question but that his O line is contributing big time to his decision making issues. We HAVE to play better up front.

So that leaves RB and QB.
I think what he's saying is if we're having that much trouble communicating on the OL already, there's no point in not rotating.

Reactions: Bremser
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT