Worse before it gets better....

Solana Beach Husker

Offensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2008
2016 Class: 20 signed, 12 in the two deep
2017 Class: 20 signed, 5 in the two deep
2018 Class: 25 Signed , 10 in the two deep
2019 Class: 28 signed, 6 in the two deep

This team is going to get younger because the 2017 class is a completely lost class. Only two of the five are starters, the 2018 class...thrown together in a few weeks has the double the contribution and the most recent class has more contribution than the 2017 class. Imagine having 6-10 juniors on this team who could provide depth or competition. Hope to hell we get a bowl game...so the 2018-19 players can get extra practices...because they aren't getting any help next year from upperclassman.

This team is going to get younger because the 2017 class is a completely lost class. Only two of the five are starters, the 2018 class...thrown together in a few weeks has the double the contribution and the most recent class has more contribution than the 2017 class. Imagine having 6-10 juniors on this team who could provide depth or competition. Hope to hell we get a bowl game...so the 2018-19 players can get extra practices...because they aren't getting any help next year from upperclassman.
The good news is that Wisconsin probably won't beat us any worse than they did when Pelini was coaching.......

Frost and his coaches could use some off season schooling, it would be interesting if a coaching staff from say, Alabama, would come in and go over game video and grade out the team and let the coaches know they think, kind of like the steps Nebraska took going down to FSU back in the early 90's and letting the 'Nole staff help them with some things they saw that they could improve on.

After the spectacle last night, 3 or 4 losses yet to come. Hopefully Frost can motivate the troops & his coaches. I’m anxious to see a humongous turn around in every facet of play & play calling.
GBR!

Sat, Oct 26
vs
indiana_wbgs.png
Indiana Time: TBD=L
Sat, Nov 2
@
purdue_wbg.png
Purdue Time: TBD=W
Sat, Nov 16
vs
wisconsin2_wbgs.png
(6) Wisconsin Time: TBD=L
Sat, Nov 23
@
maryland_wbg.png
Maryland Time: TBD=?
Fri, Nov 29
vs
Iowa_wbg.png
(23) Iowa 2:30 PM EST=L
BTN

Reactions: Huskred01
Frost and his coaches could use some off season schooling, it would be interesting if a coaching staff from say, Alabama, would come in and go over game video and grade out the team and let the coaches know they think, kind of like the steps Nebraska took going down to FSU back in the early 90's and letting the 'Nole staff help them with some things they saw that they could improve on.

Frost when asked about the use of consultants:

"They pay us good money to coach," Frost said. "If we don't know what we're doing, then they probably need a different coach."

we are paying a near top 10 salary and second most in the conference - the staff shouldn't need "schooling" - besides they are getting it for free far too often on Saturdays

there are coaches conventions where ideas get tossed around

I won’t argue, any good coach tries to improve himself and his staff. I’d say anyone in the top 5, go visit Clemsons staff, or like you mentioned Alabama. Georgia even though they lost still a top caliber team. How many schools came to Nebraska in the 90’s I’m sure a had full.

"They pay us good money to coach," Frost said. "If we don't know what we're doing, then they probably need a different coach."

we are paying a near top 10 salary and second most in the conference - the staff shouldn't need "schooling" - besides they are getting it for free far too often on Saturdays
I understand the frustration, but I mentioned before, just maybe the coaches are making adjustments and 1 the kids not listening or 2 they just don’t have the physical ability. Now if the kids not listening then he needs to see the bench!!! So right now you go with the players you feel you have a best chance of winning, and we still have a chance to make a bowl game we have 3 opponents left that are very winnable games.

there are coaches conventions where ideas get tossed around
If you want to get better as a coach, seeking out your betters and having them evaluate your coaching and your team is swallowing your pride and making an effort, something coaching conventions couldn't cover enough of.

Ouch. Iowa's coaching staff spent a couple days with the New England Patriots coaching staff before the 2018 season. Its never too late to learn.

2017 class is old news and no longer an excuse. That's how we were able to recruit so many players the last 2 classes. Bad classes happen to every school, I'm sure even Alabama or Clemson have had classes where they don't get many contributors.

Great point. Last year we had some solid senior leadership in the O-line and with Stanley and Ozigbo. This year we basically have a bunch of underclassmen. It is the rare kid who can come in and be a real leadership force in his first couple years. Give these players a couple years of maturity, keep developing, and keep bringing in players and things will turn around.

Now Iowa fans think that they run the Patriots offense...
Well Ferentz said at the 2018 media day interview that among other things, they wanted to learn more about how to adapt their offense to accommodate two good TEs since the Patriots have had that situation and have had success. In 2018 Iowa had pretty good success passing to both TEs and Hockenson and Fant both left college early as 1st round picks. Like I said before, its never too late to learn and proclaiming you don't need help is sort of arrogant IMO.

Last edited:
Back then that was a two way street.. not sure anyone wants advice from Scott rn

Reactions: Huskred01
If I'm Chinander, I'm spending every waking moment watching Wisconsin defensive video over and over and over, until I know the exact techniques they are using all over the field, tackling, alignments, gap integrity, and run fits. Everything! And then require his entire defensive staff to do the same for their respective positions.

Reactions: Savedatmoney
After the spectacle last night, 3 or 4 losses yet to come. Hopefully Frost can motivate the troops & his coaches. I’m anxious to see a humongous turn around in every facet of play & play calling.
GBR!

Sat, Oct 26
vs
indiana_wbgs.png
Sat, Nov 2
@
purdue_wbg.png
Sat, Nov 16
vs
wisconsin2_wbgs.png
Sat, Nov 23
@
maryland_wbg.png
Fri, Nov 29
vs
Iowa_wbg.png
BTN

If we lose to Indiana at home, our coaches would deserve open season on them.

When people bring up the point that Frost and the staff should go visit Clemson or Alabama to have them go over our stuff, they need to be exact what exactly that other program should be critiquing? You’re better off going somewhere that understands the finer details of your said offense/defense unless you run something similar to those said programs. Otherwise you’re wasting those two programs time and your own.

Iowa goes to the Patriots due to the Ferentz connection and they run some fundamental similarities offensively. It probably wasn’t broad offensive meeting of the minds but exact packages being explored.

When people bring up the point that Frost and the staff should go visit Clemson or Alabama to have them go over our stuff, they need to be exact what exactly that other program should be critiquing? You’re better off going somewhere that understands the finer details of your said offense/defense unless you run something similar to those said programs. Otherwise you’re wasting those two programs time and your own.

Iowa goes to the Patriots due to the Ferentz connection and they run some fundamental similarities offensively. It probably wasn’t broad offensive meeting of the minds but exact packages being explored.
Well, we do know how Iowa likes to explore each others packages...

Reactions: trwebe
The good news is that Wisconsin probably won't beat us any worse than they did when Pelini was coaching.......

Riley’s teams played them very close.
Perhaps a meeting with Mike and his staff prior to this game would be helpful

Last edited:
Cally's second season - 8 wins
Bo second season -10
Smilin' Mike second sason - 9 wins
Scotty's second season - 6 wins (if we're lucky)

No excuses.
Callahan took over a 9 win team with good defensive talent AND was able to recruit offensive talent including some JUCO O linemen quickly. Most importantly was him finding Zac Taylor. Pelini took over a team with a poor record but also one that was LOADED with talent on defense especially. Riley took over a 9 win team with a returning starter junior QB and a reasonably decent O line. Frost on the other hand took over a 4 win team with a poor work ethic and a roster full of over rated busts. The circumstances for each coach was WILDLY different so making a blanket comparison about their second years is just silly.

I'm certain that Saban and his staff would understand fully what Nebraska is doing and would be able to define the application of what Frost and his staff want to do on offense and defense, it wouldn't be hard for them to see mistakes in players and coaching and make a fair evaluation of what they see and recommend what they think can be worked on.

You all clapped every time the staff ran off some guy off this roster between December 2017 and August 2019. GOOD, GIT EM OUTTA HERE IF THEY DON'T WANT IT, GIT SOME BOYS WHO WANNA BE HERE!!! SOFT CALIFORNIA KIDS, WE DON'T WANT EM DON'T NEED EM!

And they did. Most of that 2017 class is mf'in gone. This is what you get for a couple years when you do that.

And I think it was the right thing to do, if dudes are toxic get em gone, but you gotta take some foul medicine for a year or two. Because right now most of the talent on your roster is aged 19 and under.

Taking 30 guys in one year is a treatment for a bad roster disease. It's a cure, but it's a cure that takes 3+ years to work.

This particular loss was between the ears. They didn't wanna go out in the wet cold and bust anyone in the mouth on Saturday and PJ's rowers did. Then we got another couple of injuries to guys we couldn't afford to have hurt.

Get ready because next year is going to be ugly too. Go ahead and google that schedule and ask yourself how many sure wins jump off that page at you.

You all clapped every time the staff ran off some guy off this roster between December 2017 and August 2019. GOOD, GIT EM OUTTA HERE IF THEY DON'T WANT IT, GIT SOME BOYS WHO WANNA BE HERE!!! SOFT CALIFORNIA KIDS, WE DON'T WANT EM DON'T NEED EM!

And they did. Most of that 2017 class is mf'in gone. This is what you get for a couple years when you do that.

And I think it was the right thing to do, if dudes are toxic get em gone, but you gotta take some foul medicine for a year or two. Because right now most of the talent on your roster is aged 19 and under.

Taking 30 guys in one year is a treatment for a bad roster disease. It's a cure, but it's a cure that takes 3+ years to work.

This particular loss was between the ears. They didn't wanna go out in the wet cold and bust anyone in the mouth on Saturday and PJ's rowers did. Then we got another couple of injuries to guys we couldn't afford to have hurt.

Get ready because next year is going to be ugly too. Go ahead and google that schedule and ask yourself how many sure wins jump off that page at you.

I am not convinced that many of those players couldn't have helped at least keep the lights on in this program. Surely some may have been toxic and needed to go - others I think were compelled to leave by some of the heavy handedness with which the current staff came in. If I remember there were comments suggesting the team was soft, out of shape, etc, etc.
Some of those players could have contributed and resulted a better current product where we aren't sweating out bowl eligibility in year 2.

If the mass departure leads to big time success in years 4 and beyond then great. At this point I think that is anything but guaranteed.
There are a lot of comparisons out there citing the Dabo and Alvarez time tables to achieve high level success. I hope Frost has somewhat comparable results by year 4 or so and we aren't continuing to move the goal posts to the point of citing the Marshall rebuild in the 70s.

Heck even Ferentz has 3 consecutive top 10 finishes in years 4-5-6 and I am continually assured that we hired a much better coach than Kirk.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Bo actually beat Wisconsin. How many times did Smiling Mike beat them?
not sure what that has to do with anything? I was meaning WISCONSIN could treat it as a bye week to get ready for Purdue. yeah, after my post I looked at their schedule. Their tough games are before us. They have Purdue and Minnesota after us. Minnesota, while tough for us, shouldnt be tough for them.

not sure what that has to do with anything? I was meaning WISCONSIN could treat it as a bye week to get ready for Purdue. yeah, after my post I looked at their schedule. Their tough games are before us. They have Purdue and Minnesota after us. Minnesota, while tough for us, shouldnt be tough for them.

Then my mistake sir!

And yes, Wisconsin should run over Minnesota.

GBR!

Sat, Oct 26
vs
indiana_wbgs.png
Sat, Nov 2
@
purdue_wbg.png
Sat, Nov 16
vs
wisconsin2_wbgs.png
Sat, Nov 23
@
maryland_wbg.png
Fri, Nov 29
vs
Iowa_wbg.png
BTN

Minnesota turned their season around after we beat them pretty badly last year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think we should start going with players who "are close" to seeing the field. Other schools always get the most talented players on the field. Seems like we always go with, who knows the playbook the best and won't make mistakes.

2017 class is old news and no longer an excuse. That's how we were able to recruit so many players the last 2 classes. Bad classes happen to every school, I'm sure even Alabama or Clemson have had classes where they don't get many contributors.

derp...the last two classes are true freshman and sophomores...the 2017 class are juniors and next years seniors. If we worked in Florida it might not matter but development does matter at Nebraska...Tom Osborne didn't even start a sophomore qb for his first 15 years...and it took him 20 years to start a freshman...no excuses is a lazy argument from someone who doesn't have an argument.

Riley’s teams played them very close.
Perhaps a meeting with Mike and his staff prior to this game would be helpful
Banker was a better DC than he got credit for and Riley's plodding offense limited Wisconsin's possessions. It helped Banker that basically Wisconsin ran an offense which was almost identical to Riley's. Banker was a good listen when he talked defense.

If you want to get better as a coach, seeking out your betters and having them evaluate your coaching and your team is swallowing your pride and making an effort, something coaching conventions couldn't cover enough of.
I'd be shocked if SF ever did that. He may let TO come in and critique things but TO has also been out of coaching for 22 years

I agree or turning over the roster and acting like that was going to lead to instant success. This staff chose to run off some of the highest rated recruits from the last few classes. It's their responsibility if we don't have the talent to compete with Minnesota, and they are fully responsible for the product that's on the field.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I think we should start going with players who "are close" to seeing the field. Other schools always get the most talented players on the field. Seems like we always go with, who knows the playbook the best and won't make mistakes.
The sad thing is I think we do have our best players on the field. They're just not very good.

You Sir are on Fire today! Couldn't Agree more!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT