ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup

Top_Gun_

Junior
Feb 22, 2019
anyone watching? I know soccer isn't the most popular sport in the midwest, but I do enjoy watching the WC, both men's and women's.

just curious

GBR, GBA(merica)!

My brother is a huge soccer fanatic. He is 7 years younger than I am and played in some youth organized leagues. I didn’t have that opportunity growing up so I do not have the same attachment to the sport. If I text/call him with the score while he is at work...I will be out of his will.

I will try to watch as much as I can but I tend to fall asleep in the afternoon during the summer. Winking

Last edited:
I’ve been watching. I’ve gained a much deeper appreciation of soccer since I started coaching my kids teams. I have to admit, watching MLS is painful. But when you watch world class soccer like the WC or English Premier League, it can be an entertaining sport.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
I'm a casual follower. The women are more enjoyable than the men, since the US Men suck so badly.

I just found out the director of my department is a soccer superfan. He's actually in France right now for the World Cup. I knew he played on an over-40 league, but didn't realize he was that much of a spectator.

I'll be watching! Miss Hope Solo, she was an unstable BEAST. Love soccer, best part about it is that you don't need to be huge to be the best, pure skill. I hate the format. Need a countdown clock that STOPS when the silly shenanigans start. Flopping should be enforced mercilessly. Every game should have a post game review where cards can be given based on severity of flops. In my opinion if you fixed flops/time wasting Americans would dig it. Especially in the middle of summer.

Reactions: SC_'sker
anyone watching? I know soccer isn't the most popular sport in the midwest, but I do enjoy watching the WC, both men's and women's.

just curious

GBR, GBA(merica)!

No. Nobody is watching...at least people who have a worthwhile opinion on this site(football).

I'll be watching! Miss Hope Solo, she was an unstable BEAST. Love soccer, best part about it is that you don't need to be huge to be the best, pure skill. I hate the format. Need a countdown clock that STOPS when the silly shenanigans start. Flopping should be enforced mercilessly. Every game should have a post game review where cards can be given based on severity of flops. In my opinion if you fixed flops/time wasting Americans would dig it. Especially in the middle of summer.
Probably true, but think about how little actual football is watched during a game.

No. Nobody is watching...at least people who have a worthwhile opinion on this site(football).

Not a worthwhile opinion: in order to know things about 1 sport you can’t watch another every 2/4 years outside of said sport’s season

Probably true, but think about how little actual football is watched during a game.

Oh I agree, but I'm not talking about actual play, 11 minutes for football. I am talking about intentionally wasting time, out of "game time" like when a player takes forever to walk off the pitch when subbed out, or the goalie holding on to the ball for too long, or the guy that fell over writhing in pain for a minute, just to get stretchered off, then comes right back in. Stopping the clock would eliminate all of those problems overnight.

I'm at work or I would be watching. Here here to the guy who mentioned that the USNWT is actually something to be proud of, while the men's team sucks balls. Sad, but true. I also miss Hope Solo; she not only was a fantastic goalie, but also quite the nutball!

As for the sport itself, I really enjoy World Cup play, both for the excellence and for the fact that really funny cultural/political arguments get thrown around. It's like war, but with no actual fighting.

Watching the game is an experience in the ultimate in slow-burn sports. Something is always happening, but things of consequence don't happen very often at all, so when they do, its a lot of fun to freak out.

Also also, Lincoln actually has a pretty good soccer community! They have great watching parties at local bars, as does Omaha.

really funny cultural/political arguments get thrown around

That is the second best part, first being the multicultural women of course. I feel like Apollo Creed dancing into the ring in Rocky IV when the World Cup is on. 'Merica!

I'm at work or I would be watching. Here here to the guy who mentioned that the USNWT is actually something to be proud of, while the men's team sucks balls. Sad, but true. I also miss Hope Solo; she not only was a fantastic goalie, but also quite the nutball!

As for the sport itself, I really enjoy World Cup play, both for the excellence and for the fact that really funny cultural/political arguments get thrown around. It's like war, but with no actual fighting.

Watching the game is an experience in the ultimate in slow-burn sports. Something is always happening, but things of consequence don't happen very often at all, so when they do, its a lot of fun to freak out.

Also also, Lincoln actually has a pretty good soccer community! They have great watching parties at local bars, as does Omaha.

Same here. Hope the US kicks the crap out of England.

men's team sucks balls

True but imagine if our best played soccer, Reggie Bush at wing or CAM would be insane to watch. Or Megatron at keeper, combining his 45-inch vertical, 6-foot-5 frame, 6-foot-10 wingspan, and 8-feet-8-inch standing reach, that'd be absurd. Johnson could even run up for corners and he is still young enough to play!

Not a worthwhile opinion: in order to know things about 1 sport you can’t watch another every 2/4 years outside of said sport’s season

Not always, but with these two specific sports, yes. I know that I do not care about someone’s opinion or thoughts on football if he/she is passionate about soccer. I’m certainly not expecting my outlook to be popular amongst the soccer enthusiasts though, which matters very little to me.

just curious

GBR, GBA(merica)!

Can't wait! The USWT has been a blast to watch so far in this tournament and today's game should be fun.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Not always, but with these two specific sports, yes. I know that I do not care about someone’s opinion or thoughts on football if he/she is passionate about soccer. I’m certainly not expecting my outlook to be popular amongst the soccer enthusiasts though, which matters very little to me.

Recap:
- I don't care about peoples opinions
- People might not care about my opinions
- I don't care about peoples opinions

riveting

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Ummmmm... why? That’s a bit disconcerting.

They aren't saying. The coach will talk about it after today's match. All they will say it is not disciplinary reasons, so that means injury of some kind probably.

Strange stance. No room in your life for more than one sport?

one of those geniuses who can't walk & chew gum at the same time

I'm certianly not 'passionate about soccer', but every 2-4 years, during the sports desert that is the summer & especially during the afternoon & even more especially when you can bet on it, of course I'm watching.

Reactions: bigboxes

Rapinoe has 5 goals, tied for 1st in the tournament...but so does Alex Morgan. Also, I'm reading that England is probably the only other team in the tournament that can play as multifaceted as the American squad can. So, I guess that makes sense. Sub out an amazing attacker for a more solid defensive strategy.

one of those geniuses who can't walk & chew gum at the same time

I'm certianly not 'passionate about soccer', but every 2-4 years, during the sports desert that is the summer & especially during the afternoon & even more especially when you can bet on it, of course I'm watching.

Hey, you’re the one who asked if people were watching. Sorry that I’m not and I also explained exactly where I stand. I assume you just begging for a bunch of yes votes and likes? Sorry I guess.

Trying to watch the second half...there is either a foul or someone whining about being fouled every 30 seconds. Pretty much unwatchable.

ADVERTISEMENT