ADVERTISEMENT

Workout Hospitalizations...is this old news?

Going to be interesting to see if this same group of “leaderless” players, under different coaching, is going to look the same next season.

I think they'll have their growing pains but I don't think transition will be as difficult as some would expect. Offensively we're not far removed from a spread offense of sorts, many of these kids come from spread offenses in high school and they're not overly complicated to learn. Our defense has also already started it's transition to a 3-4 base so I'd expect the understanding to be a bit better than last season.

I do think we'll see some of the same problems that we've seen last season as well as some growing pains with youth. Regardless of how well things could go we're still going to have a young QB running the show during a transition period so it could get rough.

I think year 3 will be the most interesting year IMO..

They had basically almost 2 months off before starting training again. It's no wonder we had problems. On top of that you had a couple of highly motivated guys pushing themselves probably harder than they should have. Hopefully these guys recover quickly and fully and we never see it again.
In your typical 4-8 program and this one looks like no exception, the players' in-season conditioning program is sub-par. Or worse. In watching the performance of the team, especially the way players seemed to conserve energy (anyone notice the defense sprinting to the ball play after play), I think players who didn't get conditioning from playing on Saturdays must have been out of shape during the season. Then two months off with heavy partying and, well, that's what they've got.

Scale things back for them and you still have some serious issues.

This is 100% on the current coaching staff. The players have had a month long break and the coaches should know that they have to ease into more intense workouts. This might have just been the case of everything going wrong and it led to a couple players being out but it better not happen again.

This is 100% on the current coaching staff. The players have had a month long break and the coaches should know that they have to ease into more intense workouts. This might have just been the case of everything going wrong and it led to a couple players being out but it better not happen again.
Easy. It's clear it is the fault of guys that have not been here in 9 weeks.

Wow! When it happened at Iowa you were blaming Kirk?

Personally I think it's on both the players and coaches past and present.

Personally I think it’s the proximity to Iowa that causes all kinds of shit like this.

Coupled with all the weirdness that comes out of Missouri daily — can’t be just a coincidence.

Wow! When it happened at Iowa you were blaming Kirk?

Personally I think it's on both the players and coaches past and present.

New staff and it was two players. Frost also took full responsibility in a contrite, detailed statement that explained how it happened despite the precautions they took.

Your situation involved 13 players and it happened going into the 13th season of Ferentz's tenure. Not that the vast majority of Husker fans cared, but yeah, Kirk should shoulder the blame. It's his program and he's the head guy. You also went to a bowl game prior to that off-season, so your team should have still been in relatively good shape. Still, you sent more than 1 out of 10 to the hospital.

Players do what they're told to do (ideally), so I don't see how you can put it on them. The professionals that are paid to manage their development, including the design and supervision of their workout programs, are clearly the ones that should be held accountable. And that goes double for the head coach.

These high intensity programs may also cause increased roster turnover. They are by no means intended to run non-contributors off (or put people in the hospital) but by all reports this is an extremely rigorous program requiring a great deal of dedication and commitment. If it has become evident that your chances of seeing any meaningful snaps are slim, more may question if they truly want to put forth the required effort to remain part of the program.

I have no idea how easy it was for players to "coast" in prior years and still be able to enjoy all the fringe benefits of being part of the program but it appears that will no longer be the case. I suspect some may decide that the reward to work required ratio may not be as favorable as in the past and reevaluate their goals.

GBR

Last edited:
These type of drills are meant to condition both the mind and the body. They help players develop the mindset that they can do more than they thought they could. It develops mental toughness- something SORELY lacking for quite some time- beyond even Riley.

These type of drills also make kids think they are in better shape than their competition which gives them the mental edge. Think about how TO ran to death that 94 team and how they KNEW they were going to be in better shape than Miami in that 4th quarter.

These type drills can also help teams come together- not just the BS blah blah stuff we hear every year- for real.

No words. Just unbelievable we were expecting these kids to compete in the BIG being prepared in that manner.

No wonder NIU was able to shove the ball up our ass. And Minnesota, who couldn’t score at all on mediocre teams.

I’m still at a loss as to find anything related to football that Riley was good at. One thing. Anything. Anyone?

Press conferences....sort of

Reactions: WHCSC
It speaks volumes how out of shape and un prepared for real work these kids were. The regiment was already dialed back from what would typically be done. You can say "oh but they were off for almost 2 months because of no bowl" guess what 0-12 UCF didnt go bowling either. I look forward to see the improvements of a real workout regiment. We already knew this was coming, we already knew MR and staff were soft, this confirms it. Cannot wait to see the improvements SF and crew make here in the coming season. Heck i cant wait to see the Spring Game!

All this is further indication of why our program has fallen and now why things will get better. Of course part of our problem was strength and conditioning why should that be exempt from the incompetence of the last three coaching staffs. This has been a problem for awhile and what is even more telling is it is now just getting recognized as a problem

Another sign imo we are now in good hands and have not had the right leadership in sometime

I think we have alot of kids who were coddled by the previous staff for several reasons. All the issues they had during 2015 with buy in may have forced Riley to treat them with kid gloves and that continued on into 2016 for fear of losing a good chunk of the upper classmen. Then on the flip side, he didnt want to come down too hard on some of the higher end recruits for fear of them leaving as well. Some of these kids have coasted by on talent alone their whole lives and were not held to a higher standard when they got here. Now they will be because Frost isnt playing around. If you want to leave or not buy in to what he is selling, there is the door, that means I have an extra scholarship to someone who is going to bust their ass. Does that make these kids bad kids or excuse what happened to these two players? Not at all. Everyone knows what will be expected of them going forward. Is it going to be the hardest mentally and physically they have probably ever worked, absolutely. Will some not be able to handle it, probably so.

Take a guy like Lamar Jackson for instance. All the physical tools in the world, but hasnt developed physically since he got here. If he buys in to this staff and commits to the level of work they are expecting, the sky is the absolute limit for him. Ill say it right now, if he truly commits to working the right way, he will be our next All-American CB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT