ADVERTISEMENT

Workout Hospitalizations...is this old news?

Wow, that article really says a lot! This is Duval's 5th transition year and after looking at the kids, he and Frost were concerned with their conditioning. So they did some baseline testing and based on those baseline results, decided to scale everything back compared to what Duval would usually do when taking over a team.

I knew our S&C had been faltering but, that really seems to indicate very out of shape players.

Proper strength and condition is not only building strength, but being able to play 60 minutes with strength. The latter requires more busting of the ass than the former.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Wow, that article really says a lot! This is Duval's 5th transition year and after looking at the kids, he and Frost were concerned with their conditioning. So they did some baseline testing and based on those baseline results, decided to scale everything back compared to what Duval would usually do when taking over a team.

I knew our S&C had been faltering but, that really seems to indicate very out of shape players.
Very telling.

Reactions: vs540husker

Can't blame the last staff for anything, no matter how true it is.

It's not just the last staff, it was going on before that if you want accuracy.

But like I said, we can't talk about that

Reactions: dinglefritz

Unless one wants to question Frost's honesty, this team was in poor condition. Duval backed off intensity of workouts he had previously done in transition situations and there were still problems. This would indicate that the 0-12 UCF team transitioned better for Duval than the NU kids are transitioning.

Pretty sure it goes to not being able to blame Bo for the toxins in the locker room Riley’s first year... if that holds true hen we can’t blame Riley for the lack of conditioning of Frost’s team.

Just a call to be consistent in how we assign blame to current and former coaches...

Reactions: RedMyMind
Pretty sure it goes to not being able to blame Bo for the toxins in the locker room Riley’s first year... if that holds true hen we can’t blame Riley for the lack of conditioning of Frost’s team.

Just a call to be consistent in how we assign blame to current and former coaches...

I would rather just keep making fun of the lame coaches

Unless one wants to question Frost's honesty, this team was in poor condition. Duval backed off intensity of workouts he had previously done in transition situations and there were still problems. This would indicate that the 0-12 UCF team transitioned better for Duval than the NU kids are transitioning.
I think we all had a gut feeling this team was out of shape during the season. This just shows is was worse than any of us could have imagined.
I have very little doubt the players dictated how the practices and weight room activities went. As most of us know, If you let a kid dictate how much work they are going to do, it is going to be as little as possible. Riley wasn't a coach he was a friend.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I think we all had a gut feeling this team was out of shape during the season. This just shows is was worse than any of us could have imagined.
I have very little doubt the players dictated how the practices and weight room activities went. As most of us know, If you let a kid dictate how much work they are going to do, it is going to be as little as possible. Riley wasn't a coach he was a friend.
They had basically almost 2 months off before starting training again. It's no wonder we had problems. On top of that you had a couple of highly motivated guys pushing themselves probably harder than they should have. Hopefully these guys recover quickly and fully and we never see it again.

I would rather just keep making fun of the lame coaches

Somebody is to blame and with this group that we have, it's on Riley. Obviously he and the team were checked out after the Arky St. game. The on-field results speak for themselves. We didn't go to a bowl game so there was no conditioning during the month of December. Sounds like several of our boys spent the holidays on the X-Box and eating warm pumpkin pies.

Somebody is to blame and with this group that we have, it's on Riley. Obviously he and the team were checked out after the Arky St. game. The on-field results speak for themselves. We didn't go to a bowl game so there was no conditioning during the month of December. Sounds like several of our boys spent the holidays on the X-Box and eating warm pumpkin pies.

I can see that...I was thinking that they checked out a little later in the season but you could be right.

Well there are a number of ways to look at this. I have a few takeaways...

1- glad nobody was affected worse.

2- this is actually encouraging to me. While it will mean more work for Duval and Co, IF (big if) the players buy in and lay it all on the line with conditioning, we could see a massive turn around on the field. We will likely see several current players play at levels well above what they have shown thus far. I don't think we had a lack of talent issue, seems we had a tired talent issue.

3- I would be dead after 12 minutes. I have little doubt.

Reactions: Sinomatic
There will always be disagreement over who exactly is to blame for what over the last 15 years. But it's THE STANDARD? C'mon. Don't be a drama queen.

I blame Callahan for killing the identity of our program.

I blame Bo for being a psycho who pitted our players against our fans.

I blame Riley for not having a clue how to coach a football team.

No words. Just unbelievable we were expecting these kids to compete in the BIG being prepared in that manner.

No wonder NIU was able to shove the ball up our ass. And Minnesota, who couldn’t score at all on mediocre teams.

I’m still at a loss as to find anything related to football that Riley was good at. One thing. Anything. Anyone?

It is a little concerning that Duval had to tone down the program from what an 0-12 UCF team was able to handle.

Then again, it is his job to assess the current fitness of each athlete to make sure things like this don't happen. Frost told them to take a few weeks over the holidays to relax and be with family. You can't expect they are going to come back in great shape.

It is a little concerning that Duval had to tone down the program from what an 0-12 UCF team was able to handle.

Then again, it is his job to assess the current fitness of each athlete to make sure things like this don't happen. Frost told them to take a few weeks over the holidays to relax and be with family. You can't expect they are going to come back in great shape.
If I am a kid, I am going to do some things over break and show up ready to work for the new coach.

I dont blame the previous coaches. This is on the players doing the work needed to drive the results.It's always easier to throw everything at the feet of the coaches. A culture needs to be established on the team where the players hold each other accountable. Need to have the strong leaders in the weight/locker room to drive the results.

This is not very good timing with only a week before LOI Day. Am sure other coaches will try to use this against Nebraska down the stretch.

No words. Just unbelievable we were expecting these kids to compete in the BIG being prepared in that manner.

No wonder NIU was able to shove the ball up our ass. And Minnesota, who couldn’t score at all on mediocre teams.

I’m still at a loss as to find anything related to football that Riley was good at. One thing. Anything. Anyone?

Answer me this: What in the world was Eichorst thinking when he hired Riley? Was it just a complete pendulum shift away from psyhco Bo?

Answer me this: What in the world was Eichorst thinking when he hired Riley? Was it just a complete pendulum shift away from psyhco Bo?
100% I seriously think he only criteria when looking for the next coach was, " hmm who is the least like Bo" Mike Riley- " No accomplishments, just above .500 win percentage, in his 60's. Nice guy. Name is not Bo Pelini. Yep, that will do. You are hired. "

I dont blame the previous coaches. This is on the players doing the work needed to drive the results.It's always easier to throw everything at the feet of the coaches. A culture needs to be established on the team where the players hold each other accountable. Need to have the strong leaders in the weight/locker room to drive the results.

This is not very good timing with only a week before LOI Day. Am sure other coaches will try to use this against Nebraska down the stretch.

Going to be interesting to see if this same group of “leaderless” players, under different coaching, is going to look the same next season.

Last edited:

Just to be clear, electrolytes are too high and are the enemy. They need to bring them down. Water, IVs, time, and peeing a whole lot is all that helps. Their piss probably looks like coffee right now. I won’t be surprised if they aren’t 100% for spring ball. I couldn’t run for a month and a half after my section with Rhabdo and was in awful shape after it.

You can't expect they are going to come back in great shape.

Maybe you can't expect it but it is still disappointing. Do people wait until basketball tryouts to start running lines again? I feel if you wait for the official start of something you are way behind, weather in school, sports or work. The fact the Duvall scaled the workouts back shows that as a team we are way behind. TIME TO PUT IN THE WORK. Everyone on this board should follow the teams routine as get our sorry asses in playing shape again, who is in?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAh-AAAAJGI2MmZiZWMzLTI1MDQtNDkzZS05ODA4LWU0ODYyM2JiYTMzNQ.jpg

chatterbutter%204(10).jpg

While I am sure that the players were nowhere near where they needed to be as far as playing shape under the prior staff, let's not forget that these players have basically been on their own since the day after Thanksgiving without a S&C staff. Usually when winter conditioning starts, the players are coming off of post season workouts and a bowl game and are still somewhat in game shape. It really doesn't take long to get out of shape if you don't do anything. Some of these guys may have been "working out" on their own, but really had no idea of what was coming after Xmas break. I was worried about something like this happening. My sons college team has been doing a very similar workout that they got from Gib Duval(Zach's brother). They are on a clock and them and their partner must have their reps done and be ready to go to the next rep by the time the clock runs out(2 minutes I think). Everything that they do leads to them playing fast on the field. They train fast and practice fast so they can play fast. Fast is a part of their lives.

Like I said, this still doesn't absolve the prior staff of anything as they were piss poor in a lot of areas, but could explain whey they were so far out of shape. They weren't in the greatest of shape to begin with and then took Frost to heart and went home and enjoyed Christmas break.

Reactions: HuskerO
It's not just the last staff, it was going on before that if you want accuracy.

But like I said, we can't talk about that
well considering the kids affected were brought in by the last staff - I think its safe to say going back even further is pointless

I do agree we have had conditioning problems for awhile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT