ADVERTISEMENT

Word on the street: Slim to none chance Walters ends up in Lincoln (update post # 78)

Forget Williams. It's Scott's team and he can do whatever the Hell he wants. Hes not required to keep any of that losing bunch. I think the players realized it too Saturday after watching that offense. Williams doesn't walk on water

Forget Williams. It's Scott's team and he can do whatever the Hell he wants. Hes not required to keep any of that losing bunch. I think the players realized it too Saturday after watching that offense. Williams doesn't walk on water

I think Williams is a good recruiter and a decent coach, but hearing Moos and Frost really pound home values and integrity, not sure a coach with 3 DUI's on his record meets that bar. Matt Lubick on the other hand has worked with Frost and is also known as an outstanding recruiter.

Only concern with Lubick is he's bounced around a ton recently. He was let go at Oregon with Helfrich was fired, was quickly snatched up at Ole Miss as WR coach only to bounce a couple of weeks later to an OC job at Baylor, which he only stayed at around 2 months before bolting to Washington where he's only been 10 months.

I think Williams is a good recruiter and a decent coach, but hearing Moos and Frost really pound home values and integrity, not sure a coach with 3 DUI's on his record meets that bar. Matt Lubick on the other hand has worked with Frost and is also known as an outstanding recruiter.

Only concern with Lubick is he's bounced around a ton recently. He was let go at Oregon with Helfrich was fired, was quickly snatched up at Ole Miss as WR coach only to bounce a couple of weeks later to an OC job at Baylor, which he only stayed at around 2 months before bolting to Washington where he's only been 10 months.

I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving Ole Miss and Baylor, with the issues they were going through.

Sounds like it's time for some stability for ML. He is a heck of a WR coach and a recruiter and knows Frost system.

For the life of me I can't understand the lovefest for Keith Williams. He is the absolute perfect example of a Riley hire and team. Fairly good recruiter who TALKS a big game. Poor coach. Our Wide receivers haven't gotten close to maximizing their potential. Very few of them seem like they are much better than the first day they were here. Poor Routes, poor separation, questionable blocking, too many drops and 3 yard gains on 3rd and 4.

Sportswriter from Orlando stated that Walters really like the Orlando area and would like to stay.

This the same writer that proclaimed Frost was staying at UCF, or possibly the one who proclaimed Frost was taking the Florida job? If SF wants him bad enough, he’ll throw $ his way, dude will buy a heavy coat, and head for Lincoln.

+1000. If Scott chooses not to retain any of the coaches that presided over the worst Husker team in the modern era, I will not lose a wink of sleep.

For the life of me I can't understand the lovefest for Keith Williams. He is the absolute perfect example of a Riley hire and team. Fairly good recruiter who TALKS a big game. Poor coach. Our Wide receivers haven't gotten close to maximizing their potential. Very few of them seem like they are much better than the first day they were here. Poor Routes, poor separation, questionable blocking, too many drops and 3 yard gains on 3rd and 4.
Keith Williams kept Stanley Morgan Jr and JD Spielman from maximizing their full potential?

One would think Vedral would seriously consider transferring, but not a peep there. But given they have one more game to play, I am not surprised.

I'm guessing those who are wanting Frost to retain KW want Frost to make the decision himself and be comfortable with it. I haven't seen anyone demand Frost keep KW.

If Dub is hired he would easily be the best recruiter on this staff

There's also dirt opposing coaches can throw at him too. I'm fine IF he stays, but I suspect if he doesn't that the guy Frost hires will be equally adept at recruiting talent and he may have deep ties in Florida. Walters would be great but I think he wants to be a head coach soon. We need to think long term for that hire and not just what looks good right now with this class.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Is Lubick a better coach or Walters? I've been very impressed with UCF's receivers and I think it would be nice to keep that going with Walters as he's proven to work well under Frost.

I think Dewitt, Fisher and Held will thrive as recruiters at Nebraska. But I agree, KW is a great recruiter and will probably be even better recruiting to this offense.

Also of the 3 potential WR coaches, any one of them ever coached TE's? They've all proven their coaching ability and would be nice to see all of them on staff if at all possible.

Is Lubick a better coach or Walters? I've been very impressed with UCF's receivers and I think it would be nice to keep that going with Walters as he's proven to work well under Frost.
He is known as a good WR coach. I believe he won some awards as a WR coach at Duke and did a nice job at Oregon. He and Walters are both good coaches and know SF system.

Last edited:
Is he known as a good WR coach. I believe he won some awards as a WR coach at Duke and did a nice job at Oregon. He and Walters are both good coaches and know SF system.

He was named receivers coach of the year in 2012 by Football Scoop and was in the final 3 for the AFCA assistant coach of the year in 2012.

He is also credited with recruiting Dexter McCluster at Ole Miss, Vontaze Burfict to Arizona State amongst others. Currently ranked by 247 as the #14 recruiter in the country and #2 in the Pac 12.

He was named receivers coach of the year in 2012 by Football Scoop and was in the final 3 for the AFCA assistant coach of the year in 2012.

He is also credited with recruiting Dexter McCluster at Ole Miss, Vontaze Burfict to Arizona State amongst others. Currently ranked by 247 as the #14 recruiter in the country and #2 in the Pac 12.
Sign me up. Would be a homerun hire.

Reactions: Sinomatic

Remind me again, how do we know this...when none of the coaches at UCF have ever recruited to Nebraska, and Williams has never recruited to UCF??

I think Dewitt, Fisher and Held will thrive as recruiters at Nebraska. But I agree, KW is a great recruiter and will probably be even better recruiting to this offense.
Remind me again, how do we know this...when none of the coaches at UCF have ever recruited to Nebraska, and Williams has never recruited to UCF??
Williams can recruit anywhere his name is well none his reputation amongst top receivers as a top position coach is real high Last three seasons He was the first Nebraska receiver coaches ever to run toe to toe with Urban Saban an USC. No other coach in Lincoln has ever slugged it out like him.with a big name hire like Frost ,he would destrou OSU and Alabama in recruiting. One of the very best out there As s coach and recruiter. A Wi n for Frost as would Walters not as familiar with Lubick but I would put him third as a Receiver coach ,but a 2 as OC ,Walters would be ifirst as an OC for Frost offense.

Williams can recruit anywhere his name is well none his reputation amongst top receivers as a top position coach is real high Last three seasons He was the first Nebraska receiver coaches ever to run toe to toe with Urban Saban an USC. No other coach in Lincoln has ever slugged it out like him.with a big name hire like Frost ,he would destrou OSU and Alabama in recruiting. One of the very best out there As s coach and recruiter. A Wi n for Frost as would Walters not as familiar with Lubick but I would put him third as a Receiver coach ,but a 2 as OC ,Walters would be ifirst as an OC for Frost offense.

Let's be honest, Williams doesn't really slug it out with USC, Ohio State, or Alabama. I would guess he beats them out for probably 1 out of 5 or 6. That's pretty decent against those schools, especially with our record over the last 3 years. What concerns me more with Williams is the culture he has created, which has led to some toxic players in his group. This program can't get rid of DPE fast enough.

Let's be honest, Williams doesn't really slug it out with USC, Ohio State, or Alabama. I would guess he beats them out for probably 1 out of 5 or 6. That's pretty decent against those schools, especially with our record over the last 3 years. What concerns me more with Williams is the culture he has created, which has led to some toxic players in his group. This program can't get rid of DPE fast enough.

Laughing

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I just wonder if Williams recruiting style fits what Frost wants from assistants.

I have no idea the answer, just posing the question. It's not always about who you're talking to but what you're saying to them.
If he does hire Williams, it's because he fits. He isn't gonna square peg his staff.

You find toxic players comical? Did those 4-8 and 6-7 seasons have you in stitches too?

I guess this makes me a part of the tradition coalition, but I'm going to go ahead and let Frost make his choice of his WR coach and watch his offense take off... again.

Reactions: jlgformk
You find toxic players comical? Did those 4-8 and 6-7 seasons have you in stitches too?

I guess this makes me a part of the tradition coalition, but I'm going to go ahead and let Frost make his choice of his WR coach and watch his offense take off... again.

Your statement about toxic and DPE are 110% inaccurate, which is why I laugh at you.

So will I, couldn't give 2 shits less who he hires on the offensive side. His offense will be explosive regardless who the WR coach is.

Your statement about toxic and DPE are 110% inaccurate, which is why I laugh at you.

So will I, couldn't give 2 shits less who he hires on the offensive side. His offense will be explosive regardless who the WR coach is.

It came directly from players on the team, so take a big swig of WRONG! Drink up, Johnny! Laughing

But I agree on the his offense, so your half right I guess.

I doubt KW will be back. I’d like him to be rehired. But I just don’t get the feeling that he’ll be back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT