ADVERTISEMENT

Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

Their coaching staff being a revolving door is probably having some effect on their defense. A few years ago when they had Pruitt their defense was nasty. And they were already well on their way to transitioning their offense by that time. I don't think giving up low 20's should be the goal. That's average in the Big 10.
Haven't follewed them that closely, sounds about right.

I think near term, low twenties is feasible,and thats why they said it. If we get guys,difference maker types, then who knows, it's been so long.
We've had respectable offenses, but our defenses haven't been that good since Suh. But he was obviously a difference maker.

Everyone of those things coaching could improve. It didn't look like our linebackers were well coached at all. I know they overran plays, I saw that too. If they were well coached they probably wouldn't do that as often.
The LB play was poor,it could be coaching, like,these coaches didn't get alot of square peg types since they may have never had them before, but what they're asking our backers to do? Those players just couldn't do it.

I think it was you saying wiscy plays a different front,their front is more run aggressive,ours more pass.
Now,if you aren't getting home to the qb,the strength of your defense if stymied can turn into a major weakness if you don't have those LBs. We didn't,and I'm hoping we do now with those who's been hurt and redshirting,and the jucos and new recruits.

Yeah or keep the entire staff together and have the same half of this board bitch and moan about each missed tackle because our LBs didn’t cover the right gap because Jonathan Taylor made a sick cut back to a gap that didn’t have anyone in it because he’s an NFL talent....yeah it’s probably the staff though, not Taylor’s talent. For the record, I would have had 0 issue with keeping the entire staff together for another year because I’m in the continuity camp.
Well that's not happening and apparently not what Frost wants. You can idealize continuity all you want but Frost is putting the program first, and I agree with him.

Well that's not happening and apparently not what Frost wants. You can idealize continuity all you want but Frost is putting the program first, and I agree with him.
I’ll be honest that post didn’t make a lot of sense going back and reading it, feels like kind of an emotional rant now. I guess the point I was trying to make was our fan base gets irrationally pissed off and wants a LB coach fired who is trying to teach very average LB athletes, to stop an NFL talent RB right in his tracks each time he touches the ball, not realistic. Let me go on record by saying I’m 100% for continuity, but with good coaching. I feel coaches need time to prove themselves, given they are the right fit in the right situation. I’m also 100% behind whatever Frost wants to do for this program.

All in all, I agree with you

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I’ve been of the opinion for the last 2 years that because of how deep of a rebuild this from how far we’ve fallen and how much of a commitment everyone in the state, university and fan base, has made to coach frost, that he gets a minimum 5 years before any judgement is passed and his assistants get 3 years before any judgement is passed. I know some people don’t agree with that because “that’s not how college football works today” and I don’t give a shit about that because Nebraska has never been, atleast from how I was brought up, a place where we copied people when it comes to success. We did things our own way and didn’t care what people thought. So why can’t those beliefs be relevant now? Why do we have to follow the same rules as everyone else when it comes to coaching timelines? People on here seem compare Frost to Fleck for this year and what Fleck did and what Frost hasn’t done yet. I’m sorry I guess I didn’t realize that Minnesota was once a dominating force in college football and on top of the mountain at one point and has fallen all that way down. Oh that’s right they didn’t, and never will. In the grand scheme of things, our titles really weren’t that long ago because I’m just a little bit older than that time line and I’m what you would call “young” in society, being 27. So quite frankly, I think we need to quit worrying about what other people are doing who have “never been there” and worry about how we can get ourselves back to where we belong. Both as a fan base and as a football team. Because the day I start comparing Nebraska football to the Minnesota gophers and Iowa Hawkeyes of the world, is the day that I lose all my standards for what Nebraska Football means to me. Cause I want a national title before I die, nothing else.
Your way is the best way to make us Iowa or Minnesota. They're more than happy to keep mediocre coaches around for longer than necessary and it's why they get the results they get.

Your way is the best way to make us Iowa or Minnesota. They're more than happy to keep mediocre coaches around for longer than necessary and it's why they get the results they get.
The way to be great is to get and keep great coaches. Clemson didn’t become a power by keep average coaches they did it by getting and keeping Venables .

Yea, our defense should have been much better, but it wasnt, as guess, putting up numbers on offense may make you look better than you are, but we dont need difference makers on defense our offense is doing so well?
Is that what youre saying?
Thats how I see you interpreting nikkisixx post?
So, because our offense put up numbers, youre thinking only points, not stalled fourth down try after stalled fourth down play.
Taking 90 seconds to score gives our defense plenty of rest?
This too what youre saying?

I'd like to get your opinion how our offense plays effects the defense?
My post was sarcastic. The offensive play doesn't have much affect on the defense imo. The defense is what it is, and the stats tell a good story of how good it is. I think people like to make too many excuses for poor defensive performanc. I don't care what type of offense we're running, anything less than a top 30 defense isn't an acceptable standard at Nebraska.

True for iowa
Minny? They have trouble holding onto their HC's on down.

My post was sarcastic. The offensive play doesn't have much affect on the defense imo. The defense is what it is, and the stats tell a good story of how good it is. I think people like to make too many excuses for poor defensive performanc. I don't care what type of offense we're running, anything less than a top 30 defense isn't an acceptable standard at Nebraska.
So, iowa needs to just stop playing football then? Why the term time of possession? Or field position?
I'm just saying there's more than just stats too, though I use them alot.

Like, whats the chances of a defense holding after a turnover by your offense deep in their territory?
The old term momentum is another not in the stats, yet surely exists.
A crappy kicking game,coverage team makes the defense look bad, as does three and outs.

Now, of course our D has been bad, it's improved,but still bad. But our style of play,which hasn't manifested itself as yet, that aggressive style,until it arrives,I can't point it out,though I'd like to, but, I am trying to get ahead of the curve by pointing out to those who think the 90s blackshirts are eventually going to show up.

Those days are gone, and people may not like this style,I get that, but this style won't produce those 90s blackshirt numbers, but likely will exceed turnovers and potentially sacks.
So, low twenties is good considering if our offense is as efficient as it can be,as well as explosive.

Wow, I completely disagree with that assessment. Our LB, inside and out were by far the biggest issue with both our rush defense and pass defense. The OLB can’t get to the QB, the ILB can’t fill, cover or tackle. We need a huge upgrade across the board at LB. One thing I wish Chinander would have done was play more sub packages (Nickel and Dime) against spread teams like Indiana and Purdue, instead of letting them pick on our LB’s in coverage all day.
Yeah our linebackers were bad. I was just saying we had a lot more problems on our defense besides just linebackers.

The defense is not designed to get shutouts, or really even to necessarily stop the opponent as its' main goal.

The main goal of this style of defense is to get the ball back as fast as possible. Some of the other goals are to get turnovers, and to cause massive disruption to the other team any way possible. The result of those goals is, you get burned on big plays when someone misses an assignment.

Generally, this results in giving up 25 (and in our case, 31) points a game, but it also results in getting the offense more attempts to score, or more possessions. This is also the reason why Scott elects to take the ball when we win the toss. It is all about maximizing offensive attempts.

Based on what the goals are for the defense (which are different than traditional ones) they do have some room for improvement, but they played pretty well under the scheme.

Now you could argue that they should be playing a different scheme, and there, I would agree with you, because last years offense was not strong enough to consistently put up more than 31 points a game.
Giving up 25 points a game isn't going to be good enough in the Big 10. That's below average in this league. It's the object of any defense to stop the offense. The fastest and most reliable way to get the ball back is to have a good enough defense where you can force a 3 and out. Yeah turnovers are great but you can't always rely on them.

Reactions: vs540husker
Giving up 25 points a game isn't going to be good enough in the Big 10. That's below average in this league. It's the object of any defense to stop the offense. The fastest and most reliable way to get the ball back is to have a good enough defense where you can force a 3 and out. Yeah turnovers are great but you can't always rely on them.
We get top 5 with our defense, we will be fine
http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/leader/827/team/defense/split01/category09/sort01.html

Here’s a come back for you that will prove us both right lol....those “mediocre” coaches and results helped UCF beat Auburn and Minnesota’s “mediocre” results beat Auburn this year in their bowl game. Oooooorrrrr is Auburn overrated? Probably a common denominator in there somewhere.

Here’s a come back for you that will prove us both right lol....those “mediocre” coaches and results helped UCF beat Auburn and Minnesota’s “mediocre” results beat Auburn this year in their bowl game. Oooooorrrrr is Auburn overrated? Probably a common denominator in there somewhere.
$EC is mostly overrated. Though, auburn showed better by beating both finalists in the cfb championship when those mediocre coaches beat them.

can you please explain how the SEC is “mostly overrated”

they have won 6 of the last 10 national titles

Which teams?
Tell me, does the sec look like the big two most the time?
I didnt say bama was overrated, and georgia can play some ball.
Florida hasn't been overpowering since urb left.
Lsu hasnt been great since saban until now.
Auburn? Ooops, lets not go there right?

I agree, the build is finally going to pay off. I could say it might not, but thats going against better athletes,more speed,player fit,continuity in systems etc.
Oh, and we'll be bigger too.
There's little reasons not to be better, I prefer using reasons, there are no excuses in reasoning, and, as I said, theres little reason why we wont be much better,especially at the end of the season,by reasoning our youth will be better and more adapted to the game by then.
Also, using reasoning, our O line should be as good if not better than the end of this season,next year,game one.
Almost every position we should see that,with several potential upgrades at LB, at rb depth,or even at rb overall, at wr,depth and level of play,at qb etc etc
Yep, theres little if any reasons why we shouldn't be much improved next year.
There's no reason we shouldn't have been vastly improved this last year, but that didn't happen did it. There's not really a guarantee it's going to happen next year.

Reactions: CatColumbia
There's no reason we shouldn't have been vastly improved this last year, but that didn't happen did it. There's not really a guarantee it's going to happen next year.

sit back and relax, as brilliantly explained below, the Chiefs winning today proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Nebraska will be back. I have to admit, I had no idea we had so much riding on that game. Thank god that fake punt didn’t work.

I’d like to take a minute on this playoff football Sunday night to help everyone understand what that Chiefs game really should have meant to everyone in Husker Nation. In its most basic form, that game was the sum of confident, elite talent, that all shared the characteristic of mental toughness. Including the weather and excluding major injuries, the Chiefs probably faced about as much adversity as they could have in a 60 minute football game. And they never batted an eye and stayed confident and kept battling.

While quite a few people on here will bash some of the coaching of Nebraska Football, those same things could literally be said about the Chiefs in the 1st quarter. But you know what, through the dropped passes, Texan touchdowns, and bad weather, Chiefs kept plugging along and kept playing and stayed with the game plan. And that’s what happens. Another important thing to point out is the Chiefs run what you could call a spread offense made for pro football....in the cold....and put over 50 points

Point being, Nebraska will be back. The spread will work here, even in the bad weather, we will win, and everything will be okay.

Sometimes it’s good to see other teams in a non biased perspective

I’m a Tennessee Titans fan. And I badly wanted Houston to win today

Really truly honestly believe that’s simply a matter of a soft, scared to fail mentality of players than it is coaching. Not being that far removed from college athletics, myself, when shit hits the fan like that in those games, and it’s time to make a stop, you can coach situations all you want, but if the kids you have on the field just don’t have that killer mentality to just shut the game down and they shit their pants during those situations, then it don’t matter. That’s what I feel has happened the last 2 years in clutch situations, just a soft on field mentality scared to make a mistake
It's the coach's job to instill that killer mentality in the players. Sure a few kids have that mentality on their own, but most kids need to have that type of mentality reinforced by coaches who demand that sort of attitude from their players.

Ok, lets compare the new this years team to next years team.
Rbs? Started with two, ended with one.
Wrs, started with two,Wandale true frosh, ended with three, Warner came back, Noa? Nawa.
Qb, started healthy? Ended needing surgery.
O line, Started with three returners and two rooks.
D line, went 2-3 deep
LBs, had three to start at ILB, two at OLB, ended with four and four.
Safeties, started with four, ended with two.
Dbs, started with three, ended with three.

This year
Rbs, starting with three or more
Wrs, starting with three from last year, seven to help
Qb, will AM be healthy all season, out the gates?
O line, it returns, with likely up to two improved replacements,with more depth.
D line, last years twos take over, plus a few jucos and youngsters
LBs, numbers speed talent all around, lose two that are very replaceable.
Safeties, injured come back, three deep
Dbs, lots of young talent, replacing LJ already in the works.

So, unless I'm missing a guy, other than the D line, we are deeper with our two LBs and a cb to replace, which all have been targeted for with jucos and youngins.

Now, since our offense was down to two wrs,one being a rookie, our rbs down to one, our line breKing in two brand spankin new linemen,they had nly played similar to last year at the end if this year without ziggy,the two O linemen grads and Stan.
So, what you're saying is, it'll never get better than last year?

Oh, by the way, fifteen of those additional guys are four stars that either haven't played or either redshirted or are jucos. That's two thirds a class.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
It's the coach's job to instill that killer mentality in the players. Sure a few kids have that mentality on their own, but most kids need to have that type of mentality reinforced by coaches who demand that sort of attitude from their players.
Reinforcing and instilling are two different things. You can reinforce that but you can’t instill it. You either have it or you don’t. Tom Brady has it, Pat Mahomes has it, Dak Prescott does not. Clayton Kershaw does not. Mariano Rivera does. Derek Jeter does. It’s the way you’re built. You either shit your pants and are scared to fail, or you’re not. Simple as that

sit back and relax, as brilliantly explained below, the Chiefs winning today proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Nebraska will be back. I have to admit, I had no idea we had so much riding on that game. Thank god that fake punt didn’t work.
Preciate ya, GA

The way to be great is to get and keep great coaches. Clemson didn’t become a power by keep average coaches they did it by getting and keeping Venables .
Absolutely, I don't think we have a guy like Venables on the staff right now, but that's what we should be shooting for.

year 3 should be much improved. We should/could hit 7-8 wins. My point to the Saban and Dabo comment was simply saying any Head Coach out there with our roster and talent would have struggled while trying to install a new systems. No one was turning our players in All Americans.

And the PJ Fleck comparison with Scott Frost is just wrong. Apples to Oranges comparison. PJ Fleck took over a solid team from Jerry Kill/Tracy Claeys. Those guys already had Minnesota aimed in the right direction. Scott Frost took over a complete train wreck and roster of talent that needed to be completely rebuilt and reloaded. Outside a few players(Stan, JD, L Jackson, D Daniels) there wasn’t many players on our team that would start for another BIG 10 team.

True enough sir. Kill was a pretty damn good HC who like us now was working hard to turn the mess around.

Clemson recruits elite talent now, but they became a big time program when they opened up the pocket book and hired Venables as DC and Morris as OC. Before that Dabo and Clemson were very average.
Yeah people seem to forget “Clemsoning” was a popular phrase for a long time till Dabo finally won his first title.

And Clemson wasn’t pulling in elite classes the entire time.
Clemson class ranks under Dabo:
2009- 52nd
2010- 18th
2011- 8th
2012- 17th
2013- 14th
2014- 13th
2015- 4th
2016- 6th
2017- 22nd
2018- 8th
2019- 9th

Outside of that 2011 8th ranked class, their recruiting didn’t take off till their first playoff appearance, which didn’t happen till they brought in Elliot and Venables.

Reactions: headcard
Interesting

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT