ADVERTISEMENT

Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

Yea, our defense should have been much better, but it wasnt, as guess, putting up numbers on offense may make you look better than you are, but we dont need difference makers on defense our offense is doing so well?
Is that what youre saying?
Thats how I see you interpreting nikkisixx post?
So, because our offense put up numbers, youre thinking only points, not stalled fourth down try after stalled fourth down play.
Taking 90 seconds to score gives our defense plenty of rest?
This too what youre saying?

I'd like to get your opinion how our offense plays effects the defense?

jesus...

We were a handful of plays away from being a 7 or 8 win team last year. That’s with no depth, losing Williams early in the year on D, problems with and eventually losing one of top players in Washington, an injured AMart, no deep threat at wide receiver and our starting center had never played the position before. Everyone just back off the ledge.
You forgot losing two seniors on the line, and a senior LB. We lost alot of leadership year one.

See Cam Taylor,M Farniok as leaders next year. We need more. Wandales a leader by example if nothing else.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and K_Y_E
Honestly I think it would be a worse sign if they are leaving on their own. They all basically followed Frost here to "rebuild" Nebraska football. To be apart of rebuilding a dynasty. Now all the sudden they don't want to?
So far nothing on the field has indicated success, so I doubt programs are knocking down their doors trying to get them to come to their program. So Im assuming they are leaving on their own, which probably means year 3 they aren't seeing things happening as Frost said it would and they are abandoning ship before it goes down.
To be clear, Im not saying the ship is going down, and Im not saying Frost isn't the one behind the leavings. Just saying IF indeed these coaches are leaving on their own, it probably signals more issues than vs Frost removing them.
I agree it would be a worse sign if they were leaving on their own. That's why I don't think it's true. Only some of our most under-performing coaches are rumored to be leaving. Our best assistants are staying and seem excited to be here. Think about it, for almost everyone of our assistants this is the best and most high paying job they've ever had. Even if the team isn't doing well, why would they leave on their own? I think that points to Frost being behind the departures rather than the assistant coaches abandoning ship.

Reactions: husker2612
I agree it would be a worse sign if they were leaving on their own. That's why I don't think it's true. Only some of our most under-performing coaches are rumored to be leaving. Our best assistants are staying and seem excited to be here. Think about it, for almost everyone of our assistants this is the best and most high paying job they've ever had. Even if the team isn't doing well, why would they leave on their own? I think that points to Frost being behind the departures rather than the assistant coaches abandoning ship.
Nobody knows. But the way things have been going, change is good at this point.

Just add slow to each of those scenarios
I firmly believe thats been most of our problems, some was strength as well, Im mainly talking ILB here, but our on line backer was slow to the ball, but finally did a decent job of sealing the end, which didnt happen until the end of this year.
Our other backer we counted on, and we're so thin, it really hurt, decided to sell realestate.

I'll go on record, the play of our backers by just having new bodies, plus more for depth and spelling some of our old backers, will be much much better, and it'll make the whole D look better, by getting pressure and to the qb, pass coverage, and run fits, getting there on time and in position.
Our linebackers really weren't as bad as you say. I mean they were bad, but there were other problems on the defense too. Our ILB's really aren't that slow. Maybe slow in making decisions, but they do have enough athleticism to be decent players. I don't think athleticism or talent is really the issue with them. Our linebackers did look poorly coached. They did not look like they knew the schemes that well, they did not know what they were doing in pass coverage, though the safeties and corners were also at fault for blowing coverages that many blamed on the linebackers. They did get sucked up in the wash instead of having play awareness and being able to shed blocks. I think a lot of these issues are actually coaching issues and not necessarily related to talent or athletic ability.

Our linebackers really weren't as bad as you say. I mean they were bad, but there were other problems on the defense too. Our ILB's really aren't that slow. Maybe slow in making decisions, but they do have enough athleticism to be decent players. I don't think athleticism or talent is really the issue with them. Our linebackers did look poorly coached. They did not look like they knew the schemes that well, they did not know what they were doing in pass coverage, though the safeties and corners were also at fault for blowing coverages that many blamed on the linebackers. They did get sucked up in the wash instead of having play awareness and being able to shed blocks. I think a lot of these issues are actually coaching issues and not necessarily related to talent or athletic ability.
Wow, I completely disagree with that assessment. Our LB, inside and out were by far the biggest issue with both our rush defense and pass defense. The OLB can’t get to the QB, the ILB can’t fill, cover or tackle. We need a huge upgrade across the board at LB. One thing I wish Chinander would have done was play more sub packages (Nickel and Dime) against spread teams like Indiana and Purdue, instead of letting them pick on our LB’s in coverage all day.

Last edited:
Wow, I completely disagree with that assessment. Out LB, inside and out were by far the biggest issue with both our rush defense and pass defense. The OLB can’t get to the QB, the ILB can’t fill, cover or tackle. We need a huge upgrade across the board at LB. One thing I wish Chinander would have done was play for sub packages (Nickel and Dime) against spread teams like Indiana and Purdue, instead of letting them pick on our LB’s in coverage all day.

yep. At the beginning of the season I had Mo Berry as a draft pick and thought the LBs would follow his lead. He really didn’t build on his junior season. Love the kid. He’s a great representative of NU, but expected much more of him this season and along with other LBs did not deliver. He’ll probably make a team as an I drafted free agent, but he’s not getting drafted after the season he had.

Mickey don’t lose that number, you don’t want to call no body else.

could the reason nothing has come out yet is because the replacement @ OC is getting ready to coach in the championship game. joesph would be a homerun Hire. Great situation for him to. He get promoted at his alma mater and get tremendous help for a rookie OC with a coach like frost who will still call the plays. Also I love what Joesph has done with his wideouts. ja'marr chase And Betts remind me a lot of eachother

The numbers show they didn't get to the qb. The eyes show they couldn't cover period. Just look for 3 or 4 man sets against us. Look when we rushed, very rarely did they get in, look at all the times the thing you didn't address, but happened all too often, overrunning plays, that, all that, is not coaching.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Wow, I completely disagree with that assessment. Our LB, inside and out were by far the biggest issue with both our rush defense and pass defense. The OLB can’t get to the QB, the ILB can’t fill, cover or tackle. We need a huge upgrade across the board at LB. One thing I wish Chinander would have done was play more sub packages (Nickel and Dime) against spread teams like Indiana and Purdue, instead of letting them pick on our LB’s in coverage all day.
He tried, but the safeties didn't come up to cover. While Lee took a ILB slot/role, he covered, but the safeties didn't close to press the other wrs, and then they simply threw under our coverage, as they ran Lee out.

Bad communication. The play starts, coaching ends,communication and your eyes are whats left.

He tried, but the safeties didn't come up to cover. While Lee took a ILB slot/role, he covered, but the safeties didn't close to press the other wrs, and then they simply threw under our coverage, as they ran Lee out.

Bad communication. The play starts, coaching ends,communication and your eyes are whats left.
What? When did we play Lee at Nickel? He was on the sideline from basically the Colorado game on. We kept base on the field most of the time, with the exception of playing Domann at a hybrid OLB/Nickel. We kept all four LB’s out there to be exposed in the passing game, far too often.

What? When did we play Lee at Nickel? He was on the sideline from basically the Colorado game on. We kept base on the field most of the time, with the exception of playing Domann at a hybrid OLB/Nickel. We kept all four LB’s out there to be exposed in the passing game, far too often.
Lee subbed Mo out in nickel packages starting in the Indiana game and continued to do so the balance of the year.

It, like our base defense, did not slow anyone down on 3rd and long.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Lee subbed Mo out in nickel packages starting in the Indiana game and continued to do so the balance of the year.

It, like our base defense, did not slow anyone down on 3rd and long.

That's why in one game thread a poster referred to "3rd and long" as "3rd and Chinander."

Of course the defense was part of the problem. I don't see how anyone could see it wasn't.
The defense is not designed to get shutouts, or really even to necessarily stop the opponent as its' main goal.

The main goal of this style of defense is to get the ball back as fast as possible. Some of the other goals are to get turnovers, and to cause massive disruption to the other team any way possible. The result of those goals is, you get burned on big plays when someone misses an assignment.

Generally, this results in giving up 25 (and in our case, 31) points a game, but it also results in getting the offense more attempts to score, or more possessions. This is also the reason why Scott elects to take the ball when we win the toss. It is all about maximizing offensive attempts.

Based on what the goals are for the defense (which are different than traditional ones) they do have some room for improvement, but they played pretty well under the scheme.

Now you could argue that they should be playing a different scheme, and there, I would agree with you, because last years offense was not strong enough to consistently put up more than 31 points a game.

That's why in one game thread a poster referred to "3rd and long" as "3rd and Chinander."
I've watched multiple college and NFL teams drop in to the same style of Defense as Chinander was running on 3rd and long this season. The idea is to keep things in front of you and limit their opportunity for a big play. The problem for that is IF the other team has receivers who are faster than your backers and safeties they can make you miss and move the chains. Even in the NFL more often than not it seemed to end up in a longish gain often for a first down. At some point you have to just keep playing the defense that got the other team IN to that 3rd and long situation in the first place.

Well there's lots of "substance" but it's mainly just the same bickering back and forth about linebackers etc where there's no chance for anybody "winning" the argument. Sigh. It's the off season.

Yes the thread was derailed which usually happens with being 7 pages long..

I would bet we here more after the National Title game tomorrow night about Walters supposedly departure..

Reactions: spinner4
Let’s see. Just curious why no one has even reported anything about this.
Honestly, usually nothing gets reported around here until after the fact. Look at DeWitt, no one reported he was leaving, several hinted at it, but no one reported it. Then UNC announced he was hired there and NU still hadn’t made any sort of formal statement.

Revisit this next week
58acbe20b4b66.image.jpg

yep. it was brutal, but it wasn't as if he wasn't trying to sub cover guys in. we, like most teams, just don't have 3+ guys who can play man coverage for 5+ seconds while a qb stands untouched in the pocket.
We are getting there though,as far as cover guys. And as far as making sure they dont get those 5 seconds.
I guess fans just think we just pull a card from a deck and go, no, at this stage, you need some royaltee or an ace.

yep. At the beginning of the season I had Mo Berry as a draft pick and thought the LBs would follow his lead. He really didn’t build on his junior season. Love the kid. He’s a great representative of NU, but expected much more of him this season and along with other LBs did not deliver. He’ll probably make a team as an I drafted free agent, but he’s not getting drafted after the season he had.
He could be a real steal in the NFL draft. I think our coaching and scheme broke him last year.

We were a handful of plays away from being a 7 or 8 win team last year. That’s with no depth, losing Williams early in the year on D, problems with and eventually losing one of top players in Washington, an injured AMart, no deep threat at wide receiver and our starting center had never played the position before. Everyone just back off the ledge.
Please stop with this handful of plays excuse. We heard the same thing in 2018 and look where that got us. This is football, not horseshoes.
I really do think we start putting it together. That means 8 wins and no blowouts to the Minnesotas of the league.
I am not on a ledge just getting sick of excuses

Please stop with this handful of plays excuse. We heard the same thing in 2018 and look where that got us. This is football, not horseshoes.
I really do think we start putting it together. That means 8 wins and no blowouts to the Minnesotas of the league.
I agree, the build is finally going to pay off. I could say it might not, but thats going against better athletes,more speed,player fit,continuity in systems etc.
Oh, and we'll be bigger too.
There's little reasons not to be better, I prefer using reasons, there are no excuses in reasoning, and, as I said, theres little reason why we wont be much better,especially at the end of the season,by reasoning our youth will be better and more adapted to the game by then.
Also, using reasoning, our O line should be as good if not better than the end of this season,next year,game one.
Almost every position we should see that,with several potential upgrades at LB, at rb depth,or even at rb overall, at wr,depth and level of play,at qb etc etc
Yep, theres little if any reasons why we shouldn't be much improved next year.

It’s not excuses, it’s just how it is. Last year we were a coin flip with some of these teams even with all the above described disadvantages and don’t say other teams are in the same position because they are not. If Frost would’ve pulled of 8 wins last year, which we really were not that far away from, you’d all be singing a different tune.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT