ADVERTISEMENT

Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

My point is, and has always been, that Chinander hasn't been better than an average DC in his 4 years, and is actually a below average DC at Nebraska so far. If he doesn't improve pretty substantially this year on that side of the ball, Frost needs to take action.
I look at what he has to work with.
We/he, learned early on, our backers couldnt cover, and we werent deep at safety, and lost a starter early on.
So, even for packages like against indy for instance, we did put in Lee when indt went three or four wide, but it wasn't the best fit, was coached late, and the D backfields communication just wasnt there, so, indy just picked us apart.
If you don't have the bodies, it only gets so good.
Using Lee, a senior, no real size, but brains at safety, was the right thing to do, but his duties were splt because of depth and injuries.
We are close or there to having specific guys for those packages, and when teams come in throwing three or more wide at us,we should finally be ready.
We will be or are young, so early on this coming year, we may not look alot better, but it will be better, and should be decent by years end.
Same for pressures on the qb. We do lose some of that losing the twins, but other guys will be close to their production, and our blitz oackages should be night n day better.

Losing our four year starter at LB year one hurt us alot, our other backers just couldnt cover.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I know, and sort of agree.. but it's part of the hurry up offensive strategy as well. They sort of go together being hurry up on both sides of the ball.

It's the opposite of the old strategy where you use ball control and march the whole field and then use a defense that is more reactive to make the other team have to do the same.

This year, we didn't have an offense capable of putting up 30+ a game, so that is why we lost a lot of games. Had they adjusted the defense to more of a traditional one, we might have won a few more, but we also would run the risk of confusing the kids too.

I just don't think the D was part of the problem this year.

Offense and special teams were just bad.

Stupid IMO, any D should be focused on stopping the opposing offense, we take the most Stupid risks imo terrible blitz schemes that rarely work and terrible decision making and terrible angles.

I look at how bamas defense fell once they played Tua.
Their run pass ratio changed alot, removed protecting their defense because of their offenses great success, scoring quickly.
If its happening to bama, its happening here.
Our effectiveness on offense had been bad,even year one.
Our scoring vs yards or even yds per play stunk.
But, when we were on, even seen this year, we were on, quick scores.

So, we wont be better than low twenties, hgh teens in pts given up, and the D did make nice strides this year vs last.
We need to increase our efficiency, we also need that Husker power added in. We do that,we'll start winning more, our D gets down to only giving up low twenties?
Indy here we come.

I bet money Helfrich is why.
I am not a fan of hiring him as an OC, maybe an analyst. Frost doesn't need help from a guy who was fired by Oregon and replaced by Taggert, did anybody watch the pathetic Bears offense? If we are going to hire somebody will Frost give up play-calling? If not I wouldn't count on a power five OC coach taking the job. If he is going to continue to call plays maybe he needs to hire an SEC or BIG assistant with some experience operating against a tough defense. That is one thing we are lacking is knowledge of competing against big man defesive football.

I am not a fan of hiring him as an OC, maybe an analyst. Frost doesn't need help from a guy who was fired by Oregon and replaced by Taggert, did anybody watch the pathetic Bears offense? If we are going to hire somebody will Frost give up play-calling? If not I wouldn't count on a power five OC coach taking the job. If he is going to continue to call plays maybe he needs to hire an SEC or BIG assistant with some experience operating against a tough defense. That is one thing we are lacking is knowledge of competing against big man defesive football.

Nobody has said that SF would turn over his play call duties, that isn’t going to happen... I don’t think Frost will hire him as a assistant coach/ OC as advertised, he is going to be a analyst for him..

Have you SEEN our offense? And give me a break, Nebraska doesn’t “need” a guy that was fired as OC from the Bears with Mitch T at QB, same guy that’s been to what, 2 national championships as OC and HC, scored 46 points on Mich St during the playoffs.

Pfffft

All the offense really needed was above avg qb play in the passing game. Put 2017 Milton on last years team and we win 8 or 9 games, no problem.
Milton must have thought that Verduzco was a "cooler cat" than Martinez does. If Mccaffrey regresses this year, the 3 or 4 times he might see the field because Martinez apparently has a lock on the job, another position coach should be in this discussion as well.

My unprofessional opinion. Frost came into this gig overly confident and arrogant. He was coming off a 13-0 record at UCF. I think he thought if he brought all coaches and implemented everything exactly the same as he did at UCF that he would be able to get the same results at Nebraska just as easily. Then he got here and started to realize things were way worse on a program, and player level. He started to realize that the BIG10 is a way different level of competition than the AAC or even the PAC12. I think this year he saw that the level of assistant coaches that cut in at UCF just isn't going to cut it here, hence why we saw Dewitt, possibly Walters, and who know who else, "moving on". I think if Chin wasn't Frost best friend I think we would be seeing him moving on as well. I applaud Frost for realizing things need to change and the struggles weren't all just on the players.

My unprofessional opinion. Frost came into this gig overly confident and arrogant. He was coming off a 13-0 record at UCF. I think he thought if he brought all coaches and implemented everything exactly the same as he did at UCF that he would be able to get the same results at Nebraska just as easily. Then he got here and started to realize things were way worse on a program, and player level. He started to realize that the BIG10 is a way different level of competition than the AAC or even the PAC12. I think this year he saw that the level of assistant coaches that cut in at UCF just isn't going to cut it here, hence why we saw Dewitt, possibly Walters, and who know who else, "moving on". I think if Chin wasn't Frost best friend I think we would be seeing him moving on as well. I applaud Frost for realizing things need to change and the struggles weren't all just on the players.

Agree whole heartedly... HCSF better really think about Chins as D/C after next year if things don’t start improving next season...

Agree whole heartedly... HCSF better really think about Chins as D/C after next year if things don’t start improving next season...
Agree, If you don't have at min a top 20 D in the BIG odds are you aren't going to fair very well long term. So far chins 4 years as DC has never been better than 40s.

The idea that AM2 has a lock on the job is a dumb one.
Well he certainly had it last year, as he continued to remain in the game with his injuries, uneven play, and stupid mental mistakes. Hopefully it will be an open QB competition next year. I have my doubts.

If Muschamp gets fired by S.C. after this season, I'd offer him $2.5 million/year to coach the defense here. That's what Aranda and Venables make.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Well he certainly had it last year, as he continued to remain in the game with his injuries, uneven play, and stupid mental mistakes. Hopefully it will be an open QB competition next year. I have my doubts.
Broken record time I guess. So I will take a swing this time... the other QBs were also injured throughout the season and McCaffrey was redshirting... but you’re right. We probably should have thrown in Bunch or Masker.

I’m sure Frost doesn’t care about wins, just AM and his happiness. No one else. So yeah, don’t get your hopes up for a QB competition, cuz Frost likes losing.

Maybe because the other two were also injured, the top backup put up 7 points in 3.5 qtrs against the one real defense he faced, and the other one was a true freshman. Nah, that couldnt be it.

Broken record time I guess. So I will take a swing this time... the other QBs were also injured throughout the season and McCaffrey was redshirting... but you’re right. We probably should have thrown in Bunch or Masker.

I’m sure Frost doesn’t care about wins, just AM and his happiness. No one else. So yeah, don’t get your hopes up for a QB competition, cuz Frost likes losing.
Did Fyfe have any eligibility left?

Reactions: timnsun
I see this thread has gone off the rails.
iu

I do not want to speculate on what is going on with the staff, that is not my thing.

But I have a question for all the sunshine pumpers on here who have been laying out the reasons for the team's poor play. Frost just needs his players, MR left things a mess, better S&C while others were seeing poor technique on the field. So now there is speculation that Frost is shaking things up which would indicate there are significant problems in the coaching/development part of this formula. Year three and we could possibly be retooling the coaching staff. Interesting to say the least.
Yeah or keep the entire staff together and have the same half of this board bitch and moan about each missed tackle because our LBs didn’t cover the right gap because Jonathan Taylor made a sick cut back to a gap that didn’t have anyone in it because he’s an NFL talent....yeah it’s probably the staff though, not Taylor’s talent. For the record, I would have had 0 issue with keeping the entire staff together for another year because I’m in the continuity camp.

Yeah or keep the entire staff together and have the same half of this board bitch and moan about each missed tackle because our LBs didn’t cover the right gap because Jonathan Taylor made a sick cut back to a gap that didn’t have anyone in it because he’s an NFL talent....yeah it’s probably the staff though, not Taylor’s talent. For the record, I would have had 0 issue with keeping the entire staff together for another year because I’m in the continuity camp.
Even switching out assistants, we wont see hiring of outside sources to teach guys to tackle, complete new schemes leaving numbers and body types out of the loop.
We no longer have fullbacks for example, we no longer have shorter O linemen road grader types only etc.
More technique can and usually is good, so a new coach meshes with the rest of the staff as to fits etc.

This is the year where everything falls into place, the SnC, the redshirts available,jucos to fill holes and add depth. Continuity of staff and systems maybe the most important of all.

I agree Martinez was not healthy enough either mentally, physically or both to be playing in many of the games. Why Frost chose to play him over Vedral is beyond me. I can understand saving McCaffreys RS. I just can't fathom that as bad as AM looked at times, that Vedral at the very least couldn't have performed equally as well.

Reactions: Chuck003
Even switching out assistants, we wont see hiring of outside sources to teach guys to tackle, complete new schemes leaving numbers and body types out of the loop.
We no longer have fullbacks for example, we no longer have shorter O linemen road grader types only etc.
More technique can and usually is good, so a new coach meshes with the rest of the staff as to fits etc.

This is the year where everything falls into place, the SnC, the redshirts available,jucos to fill holes and add depth. Continuity of staff and systems maybe the most important of all.
I’ve been of the opinion for the last 2 years that because of how deep of a rebuild this from how far we’ve fallen and how much of a commitment everyone in the state, university and fan base, has made to coach frost, that he gets a minimum 5 years before any judgement is passed and his assistants get 3 years before any judgement is passed. I know some people don’t agree with that because “that’s not how college football works today” and I don’t give a shit about that because Nebraska has never been, atleast from how I was brought up, a place where we copied people when it comes to success. We did things our own way and didn’t care what people thought. So why can’t those beliefs be relevant now? Why do we have to follow the same rules as everyone else when it comes to coaching timelines? People on here seem compare Frost to Fleck for this year and what Fleck did and what Frost hasn’t done yet. I’m sorry I guess I didn’t realize that Minnesota was once a dominating force in college football and on top of the mountain at one point and has fallen all that way down. Oh that’s right they didn’t, and never will. In the grand scheme of things, our titles really weren’t that long ago because I’m just a little bit older than that time line and I’m what you would call “young” in society, being 27. So quite frankly, I think we need to quit worrying about what other people are doing who have “never been there” and worry about how we can get ourselves back to where we belong. Both as a fan base and as a football team. Because the day I start comparing Nebraska football to the Minnesota gophers and Iowa Hawkeyes of the world, is the day that I lose all my standards for what Nebraska Football means to me. Cause I want a national title before I die, nothing else.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and dpnavy
Chinander Defense has shown improvement. Has the offense? Also the recruiting on defense prior to his arrival was awful. It’s better now. We haven’t had a true “bad ass” on defense since David. And I wasn’t a Chinander supporter by any means. And still not really. But his defenses have shown improvement and IMO that should give him some time.

Walters can GTFO. That offense has no excuses to be as bad as it was. WR have not developed under him. Offense has no identity. The offense would continually shy away from things that were working in games as if they were afraid of going to the well too often. And yes we can blame this on Scott too but we need more than a “yes” man at OC. We need someone to challenge Frost and help him create play callings. His buddy from Oregon should fit the bill.

How many times did we have a big play last year and follow it up with a big negative play on offense? That’s on bad coaching

I’ve been of the opinion for the last 2 years that because of how deep of a rebuild this from how far we’ve fallen and how much of a commitment everyone in the state, university and fan base, has made to coach frost, that he gets a minimum 5 years before any judgement is passed and his assistants get 3 years before any judgement is passed. I know some people don’t agree with that because “that’s not how college football works today” and I don’t give a shit about that because Nebraska has never been, atleast from how I was brought up, a place where we copied people when it comes to success. We did things our own way and didn’t care what people thought. So why can’t those beliefs be relevant now? Why do we have to follow the same rules as everyone else when it comes to coaching timelines? People on here seem compare Frost to Fleck for this year and what Fleck did and what Frost hasn’t done yet. I’m sorry I guess I didn’t realize that Minnesota was once a dominating force in college football and on top of the mountain at one point and has fallen all that way down. Oh that’s right they didn’t, and never will. In the grand scheme of things, our titles really weren’t that long ago because I’m just a little bit older than that time line and I’m what you would call “young” in society, being 27. So quite frankly, I think we need to quit worrying about what other people are doing who have “never been there” and worry about how we can get ourselves back to where we belong. Both as a fan base and as a football team. Because the day I start comparing Nebraska football to the Minnesota gophers and Iowa Hawkeyes of the world, is the day that I lose all my standards for what Nebraska Football means to me. Cause I want a national title before I die, nothing else.
Completely agree, but we are copying things, the old way, where we need depth, we are going to have depth. Where we need developement, we're going to build three deeps, and older players usually start.

Personally, I like the Fleck to SF comparisons, as Fleck called his first year there year zero. Rebuilding culture and roster and getting everyone on the same page, after attrition, unlearning old ways etc, first year, doing it your way, is usually lost.
So, year two under Fleck, we beat them, but they started showing a very good offense at times, and I'd argue, under the circumstances, our staff had more to fix,more injuries,more holes etc, plus, we didn't play our freshmen in the same numbers as well, but still showed flashes.
So, this years the year, we should build that consistency, having a full compliment of players at their positions,where we should be on our game more often than not, and should be fairly salty by the end of the year, provided no disaster strikes the team.

Chinander Defense has shown improvement. Has the offense? Also the recruiting on defense prior to his arrival was awful. It’s better now. We haven’t had a true “bad ass” on defense since David. And I wasn’t a Chinander supporter by any means. And still not really. But his defenses have shown improvement and IMO that should give him some time.

Walters can GTFO. That offense has no excuses to be as bad as it was. WR have not developed under him. Offense has no identity. The offense would continually shy away from things that were working in games as if they were afraid of going to the well too often. And yes we can blame this on Scott too but we need more than a “yes” man at OC. We need someone to challenge Frost and help him create play callings. His buddy from Oregon should fit the bill.

How many times did we have a big play last year and follow it up with a big negative play on offense? That’s on bad coaching
Agree, and you see what I see, no difference makers on defense, iowa has them,northwestern has them,wiscy,even purdue,karloftis?
Not so sure about wrs, those jucos turned out to be mostly busts, but not playing the younger guys was a decision made prior to the season, like the vast majority of the 19 class, so, the verdicts still out there.

Our pass game did fine,even with those juco failures year one. Its too early with the loss of playing time from our youngins imo.
It also wasnt until later when Ziggy started to really make some plays year one, same for Mills this ear.
Our qb is a question mark, we knew he's been hurt, how that affected his play,who knows?
Our line year one took awhile to gel with two senior leaders on it, replaced by two rooks this year,Jaimes played hurt some as well.
Not going to lay it all at the feet of Walters.

Reactions: spinner4
Honestly, the offense for all the numbers it has put up at times has put the defense in difficult positions. Top tier teams like Clemson, Bama, LSU etc recognize that you can't leave the defense on the field as long as Nebraska does and use the offense to be an extension of the defense. Hell the 81 team put up explosive numbers but also left the defense exposed.
Yeah the offense putting up numbers hurts the defense... that makes a lot of sense. I don't know how moving the ball and the chains and keeping the offense on the field is supposed to hurt the defense. When will people quit with the excuses and just realize that our defense is just bad.

Reactions: scarletred
I know, and sort of agree.. but it's part of the hurry up offensive strategy as well. They sort of go together being hurry up on both sides of the ball.

It's the opposite of the old strategy where you use ball control and march the whole field and then use a defense that is more reactive to make the other team have to do the same.

This year, we didn't have an offense capable of putting up 30+ a game, so that is why we lost a lot of games. Had they adjusted the defense to more of a traditional one, we might have won a few more, but we also would run the risk of confusing the kids too.

I just don't think the D was part of the problem this year.

Offense and special teams were just bad.
Of course the defense was part of the problem. I don't see how anyone could see it wasn't.

Yeah the offense putting up numbers hurts the defense... that makes a lot of sense. I don't know how moving the ball and the chains and keeping the offense on the field is supposed to hurt the defense. When will people quit with the excuses and just realize that our defense is just bad.
Yea, our defense should have been much better, but it wasnt, as guess, putting up numbers on offense may make you look better than you are, but we dont need difference makers on defense our offense is doing so well?
Is that what youre saying?
Thats how I see you interpreting nikkisixx post?
So, because our offense put up numbers, youre thinking only points, not stalled fourth down try after stalled fourth down play.
Taking 90 seconds to score gives our defense plenty of rest?
This too what youre saying?

I'd like to get your opinion how our offense plays effects the defense?

I do not want to speculate on what is going on with the staff, that is not my thing.

But I have a question for all the sunshine pumpers on here who have been laying out the reasons for the team's poor play. Frost just needs his players, MR left things a mess, better S&C while others were seeing poor technique on the field. So now there is speculation that Frost is shaking things up which would indicate there are significant problems in the coaching/development part of this formula. Year three and we could possibly be retooling the coaching staff. Interesting to say the least.
Retooling after one year to me would be knee jerk reaction. No changes would be naive

We were a handful of plays away from being a 7 or 8 win team last year. That’s with no depth, losing Williams early in the year on D, problems with and eventually losing one of top players in Washington, an injured AMart, no deep threat at wide receiver and our starting center had never played the position before. Everyone just back off the ledge.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT