ADVERTISEMENT

Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

Horrendous STs play, NT and db going to senior bowl, but it was our defense, as our qb regressed hugely in passing %, we had one legit rb,a TE rookie ar center, another rookie walkon at guard,a guard at tackle, but yea, it was our defense.
We had 1 1/2 wrs, and our qb played until seasons end to get operated on, but hey, its that defense that got better against better opposition than last year,as our offense played worse, we had no kicker, gave up two tds in the return game, rated at or near bottom at having to defend the field after kicks, but yea, it was our defense, just ignore everything on here, it was the defense, not three LBs for two spots, none of which are fast enough,it was coaching keeping those LBs so slow, and the rest of the defense.
Did I miss anything?

You missed a couple things, but you’re right, the defense was bad.

Horrendous STs play, NT and db going to senior bowl, but it was our defense, as our qb regressed hugely in passing %, we had one legit rb,a TE rookie ar center, another rookie walkon at guard,a guard at tackle, but yea, it was our defense.
We had 1 1/2 wrs, and our qb played until seasons end to get operated on, but hey, its that defense that got better against better opposition than last year,as our offense played worse, we had no kicker, gave up two tds in the return game, rated at or near bottom at having to defend the field after kicks, but yea, it was our defense, just ignore everything on here, it was the defense, not three LBs for two spots, none of which are fast enough,it was coaching keeping those LBs so slow, and the rest of the defense.
Did I miss anything?

Gee, I hate to bring reality into this discussion, but we were close to a Top 25 offense in 2018, while our defense ended up ranked around 100th. That's why we won 4 games.

And...even though our offense was horrendous this year, due to a young OLine, Martinez running for his life, no depth at WR, Maurice Washington out for most of the season, injuries to our best offensive threat (Wandale), and our only decent RB left being Mills, we still scored the same number of points per game that our defense gave up per game. Take away 14 points from ST TDs, and our defense still gave up almost as much as our offense scored, and were ranked 66th in the nation in Scoring Defense. Our offense has shown it can be potent, and did it in its first year, but our defense still struggled.

Like I said, I hate to bring reality into the discussion, but even with our defense improving in the 2nd half of the season, we still gave up as many points on defense as our terrible offense scored. Again, like I've said previously, our defense has cost us more games than our offense over the past 2 years.

Yes, but we still haven't heard the name yet that all of us have been wanting to hear as leaving. Our defense is still the main reason why we have lost more games than we've won under Frost.
Honestly, the offense for all the numbers it has put up at times has put the defense in difficult positions. Top tier teams like Clemson, Bama, LSU etc recognize that you can't leave the defense on the field as long as Nebraska does and use the offense to be an extension of the defense. Hell the 81 team put up explosive numbers but also left the defense exposed.

Not how it is being portrayed by fans? So many are ready to say Frost is making changes, but where’s the proof of that? Which posters are in the know?

It appears that changes are happening, but I think it’s speculation at best as to why the changes are happening.

"Appears" changes are happening? I was referring to the original headline that stated Walters was out, not that Walters found a different gig. So, coach Frost convinces everyone to leave UCF and move to Nebraska only to find the sledding a bit rough over these past two years. Sure coaches leave for various reasons, I get that, but I was referring to the many comments made here and some referring to comments made in the media.

Reactions: scarletred
Gee, I hate to bring reality into this discussion, but we were close to a Top 25 offense in 2018, while our defense ended up ranked around 100th. That's why we won 4 games.

And...even though our offense was horrendous this year, due to a young OLine, Martinez running for his life, no depth at WR, Maurice Washington out for most of the season, injuries to our best offensive threat (Wandale), and our only decent RB left being Mills, we still scored the same number of points per game that our defense gave up per game. Take away 14 points from ST TDs, and our defense still gave up almost as much as our offense scored, and were ranked 66th in the nation in Scoring Defense. Our offense has shown it can be potent, and did it in its first year, but our defense still struggled.

Like I said, I hate to bring reality into the discussion, but even with our defense improving in the 2nd half of the season, we still gave up as many points on defense as our terrible offense scored. Again, like I've said previously, our defense has cost us more games than our offense over the past 2 years.
When your defense improves,get hurt by more three n outs, poor fourth down wins, offense gains almost 40 yds less a game, drops thirty spots in total offense and still has fewer points scored against our defense while our offense scored less, you can say one of our D linemen,one of our dbs is playing in the senior bowl, yet our LBs were atrocious, I guess the offense wins games part can't be thrown out here

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Honestly, the offense for all the numbers it has put up at times has put the defense in difficult positions. Top tier teams like Clemson, Bama, LSU etc recognize that you can't leave the defense on the field as long as Nebraska does and use the offense to be an extension of the defense. Hell the 81 team put up explosive numbers but also left the defense exposed.

What did the defense do last year when the offense was a Top 25 offense? They still gave up monumentally bad numbers and ended up ranked in the 100s. Maybe we should just take our foot off the gas on offense, and allow them to rest. If we go up-tempo and go 3 and out, we are hanging them out to dry.

I can remember during the Colorado game in 2018, when we should have been trying to run clock in the 4th quarter, Frost still went up-tempo at least a few times. And the next game, against Troy, when we should have been conserving clock, we were deliberate on offense. It was at that point that I started questioning Frost's game management.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Sorry yes LSU Offense has been great this year, but without Burrow that same Offense was very pedestrian in years past.
While I guess their OC is the same, they hired Joe Brady away from the Saints as their passing game coordinator. Make no mistake, their offense is VERY different now and Brady has tremendous power in the play selection and scheme. This isn't the same offense.

We didn't win any championships, but we didnt win many games, so, the old adage, offense wins games, defense championships, in a broad, very broad sense is right.
But being put in worse conditions, since our offense had the same number of plays from last to this year, the field to defend is shortened,thus harder on the defense, yet, they played better.
Scoring less only means more punts against our lousy cover team,meaning yet more poor field position for our defense, yet they improved.
The defense giving up less points gives the offense only more possessions, yet the offense regressed.

So, we need LBs on D, while we need, two wrs, one rb and a healthy qb on offense.

What did the defense do last year when the offense was a Top 25 offense? They still gave up monumentally bad numbers and ended up ranked in the 100s. Maybe we should just take our foot off the gas on offense, and allow them to rest. If we go up-tempo and go 3 and out, we are hanging them out to dry.

I can remember during the Colorado game in 2018, when we should have been trying to run clock in the 4th quarter, Frost still went up-tempo at least a few times. And the next game, against Troy, when we should have been conserving clock, we were deliberate on offense. It was at that point that I started questioning Frost's game management.
What did the offense do when the defense improved this year? Got worse.

When your defense improves,get hurt by more three n outs, poor fourth down wins, offense gains almost 40 yds less a game, drops thirty spots in total offense and still has fewer points scored against our defense while our offense scored less, you can say one of our D linemen,one of our dbs is playing in the senior bowl, yet our LBs were atrocious, I guess the offense wins games part can't be thrown out here

Who gives a shit if two guys are playing in some senior bowl?! We were still a poor defense, that gave up 28 points a game. And we still left wide open holes in our 24th game in Chinander's system against Iowa, where they housed a couple 50-yard runs.

Frost has shown that he can coach a very potent offense (Oregon, UCF, last year with a true freshman QB). What has Chinander done in his 4 years of being a DC to give you confidence he is up to the task? He was average at best at UCF, and well below average at Nebraska.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
While I guess their OC is the same, they hired Joe Brady away from the Saints as their passing game coordinator. Make no mistake, their offense is VERY different now and Brady has tremendous power in the play selection and scheme. This isn't the same offense.

Yes it is different from Burrow’s 1st season and it has made him unbelievably better, but I don’t think the next QB coming in next year will be nearly efficient and LSU will be back to losing 2 or 3 games...

Reactions: Baxter48
Who gives a shit if two guys are playing in some senior bowl?! We were still a poor defense, that gave up 28 points a game. And we still left wide open holes in our 24th game in Chinander's system against Iowa, where they housed a couple 50-yard runs.

Frost has shown that he can coach a very potent offense (Oregon, UCF, last year with a true freshman QB). What has Chinander done in his 4 years of being a DC to give you confidence he is up to the task? He was average at best at UCF, and well below average at Nebraska.
We gave up more last year and had zero guys going. I keep pointing to our LBs, our d backfield was very good, our pass rush was poor, our run game second level was atrocious. The line played well in the run game this year, the backers stunk it up.
So, better than one fourth of our pass rush is the backers responsibility,they failed.

Now, you pointed out the offenses holes, many more,it showed this year.
When your offense scores 2 pts less a game, yet your defense gives up almost 5 less, while the defense wasnt great but improved ,the offense was worse.

Yes it is different from Burrow’s 1st season and it has made him unbelievably better, but I don’t think the next QB coming in next year will be nearly efficient and LSU will be back to losing 2 or 3 games...
The next QB won't be a 5th year senior who got playing time at OSU and is in his second year as a starter. Burrow was fairly average his first year at LSU. I agree Burrow is very good. I said that after watching him in mop up duty at OSU. My response you quoted was to the idea that "LSU was running the same pedestrian offense as in years past". That is not an accurate premise. They hired an impressive offensive assistant from the Saints and I guarantee you somebody in college or the NFL now is going to try to hire Joe Brady away from LSU to be their OC.

Reactions: headcard

As far as ucf, he had them in the 20s in S&P year one, where they hadnt been better than upper 40s going back for years.
After he left, oregons defense went to crap too.

The next QB won't be a 5th year senior who got playing time at OSU and is in his second year as a starter. Burrow was fairly average his first year at LSU. I agree Burrow is very good. I said that after watching him in mop up duty at OSU. My response you quoted was to the idea that "LSU was running the same pedestrian offense as in years past". That is not an accurate premise. They hired an impressive offensive assistant from the Saints and I guarantee you somebody in college or the NFL now is going to try to hire Joe Brady away from LSU to be their OC.
Philadelphia Eagles are looking at Joe Brady.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I guess some people think our LBs, four of them, are playing at the level our D line is, or our d backfield is, well reality is, not even close.
So, lets just play different guys? What guys? We played two frosh at LB, there was no one else.

I'm not picking sides. All three phases underperformed last year. Get them all help.

Agreed, but my point has always been that the defense has cost us the most wins in the last 2 years, and needs to be fixed first. When our offense was pretty decent last year, it was our defense that was giving up a shit ton of points and costing us games.

They shit the bed against Colorado last year (2018) in the 4th quarter. Spotted Troy a 17-point lead. Spotted Purdue a 27-7 lead. Completely shit themselves against Northwestern in the last 10 minutes, and gave up a critical 1st down to Iowa late in the game.

This year they allowed 30+ points 7 times. I know the offense was bad this year too, but when I hear that our offense was abysmal this year, at least they had an excuse on the OLine. We were young. What excuse did our defense have? That we had too many upperclassmen on that side of the ball?

Never said LSU was running the same pedestrian offense this year I said Brady made them better but will go back next year losing their normal 2-3 games..

....or it could simply be guys getting other jobs they wanted for various reasons. Everything has to have a negative slant for some reason.
Honestly I think it would be a worse sign if they are leaving on their own. They all basically followed Frost here to "rebuild" Nebraska football. To be apart of rebuilding a dynasty. Now all the sudden they don't want to?
So far nothing on the field has indicated success, so I doubt programs are knocking down their doors trying to get them to come to their program. So Im assuming they are leaving on their own, which probably means year 3 they aren't seeing things happening as Frost said it would and they are abandoning ship before it goes down.
To be clear, Im not saying the ship is going down, and Im not saying Frost isn't the one behind the leavings. Just saying IF indeed these coaches are leaving on their own, it probably signals more issues than vs Frost removing them.

Reactions: oldjar07
Never said LSU was running the same pedestrian offense this year I said Brady made them better but will go back next year losing their normal 2-3 games..
Re-read my post. I had responded to somebody else who had said that not you. They might very well go back to losing 2-3 games per year. Look what happened to Bama with a banged up Tua. IF you want to win big you have to have a very good starting QB. Given Brady on the staff and the way they recruit I think they can find "that guy" to play QB for them again but I wouldn't expect him to do it as a first year starter or underclassman. The toe stubber will be if somebody is able to hire Brady away. You need to read some articles on what Brady has meant to Burrow and that offense. He completely transformed LSU's offense and in the process helped make Burrow millions of dollars. Likewise Burrow's success probably will end up making Brady millions of dollars. Could he have done it with a different QB? Maybe not. No way to know for sure. Even IF Burrow fails in the NFL, one can't be sure if that failure was due to his ability or the lack of ability of his NFL teammates and coaching staff. There's just a TON of variables in the career success or failure of a QB.

As far as ucf, he had them in the 20s in S&P year one, where they hadnt been better than upper 40s going back for years.
After he left, oregons defense went to crap too.

Dude, stop fabricating to help your argument. UCF was 42nd in scoring defense in 2016, and dropped to 52nd in 2017. If he could have gotten us up to 42nd this year in scoring defense, I would have been pretty pleased with that. Hell, I would be OK with a bend but don't break defense. But we are a bend and then break defense, and have been since Chinander has been here.

And BTW, Chinander was OLB coach at Oregon. Not exactly DC.

our defense played a hell of a season there at the end.. really most of the season they did pretty good. People don't realize that the scheme gives up some points by design. If they could drop the points allowed from 30 to 25, they would be right in line with what happened at UCF. I thought Chins did a pretty good job as the year went on.

Offensively, there were lots of areas that were poor, incl play calling.

Terrible, why choose to have a below average D that gives up > 25 points per game, a lot more > 25 points to the better teams? Stupid strategy imo.

Reactions: oldjar07
Sorry yes LSU Offense has been great this year, but without Burrow that same Offense was very pedestrian in years past. J B is a phenom and and is extremely accurate passer. Yes they have some high caliber WR, but iIm still a little skeptical of Joseph as a WR coach, and would prefer KW. In no way can I see MJ as a top OC candidate. If we want a top notch OC / AHC the best fit would be Jeff Nixon of Baylor. Doesn’t matter the cost swing for the fence. Then bring in KW or MJ as Wr coach and make Held TE coach and Lead recruiter. Everyone of these coaches has a ton of connections And all are proven top rated recruiters. Anyway that would be a great Staff!!

FWIW this is a new offense. That’s why Joe Brady came to town. LSU was always a run first team until he showed up.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Re-read my post. I had responded to somebody else who had said that not you. They might very well go back to losing 2-3 games per year. Look what happened to Bama with a banged up Tua. IF you want to win big you have to have a very good starting QB. Given Brady on the staff and the way they recruit I think they can find "that guy" to play QB for them again but I wouldn't expect him to do it as a first year starter or underclassman. The toe stubber will be if somebody is able to hire Brady away. You need to read some articles on what Brady has meant to Burrow and that offense. He completely transformed LSU's offense and in the process helped make Burrow millions of dollars. Likewise Burrow's success probably will end up making Brady millions of dollars. Could he have done it with a different QB? Maybe not. No way to know for sure. Even IF Burrow fails in the NFL, one can't be sure if that failure was due to his ability or the lack of ability of his NFL teammates and coaching staff. There's just a TON of variables in the career success or failure of a QB.
Look no further than Watson Clemson no Watson, then Lawrence

Terrible, why choose to have a below average D that gives up > 25 points per game, a lot more > 25 points to the better teams? Stupid strategy imo.
I know, and sort of agree.. but it's part of the hurry up offensive strategy as well. They sort of go together being hurry up on both sides of the ball.

It's the opposite of the old strategy where you use ball control and march the whole field and then use a defense that is more reactive to make the other team have to do the same.

This year, we didn't have an offense capable of putting up 30+ a game, so that is why we lost a lot of games. Had they adjusted the defense to more of a traditional one, we might have won a few more, but we also would run the risk of confusing the kids too.

I just don't think the D was part of the problem this year.

Offense and special teams were just bad.

Dude, stop fabricating to help your argument. UCF was 42nd in scoring defense in 2016, and dropped to 52nd in 2017. If he could have gotten us up to 42nd this year in scoring defense, I would have been pretty pleased with that. Hell, I would be OK with a bend but don't break defense. But we are a bend and then break defense, and have been since Chinander has been here.

Dude, stop lying, ucf didnt finish 42 in S&P.

We had what...3 seniors, 2 juniors, a sophomore, and 2 freshmen playing at LB? I wouldn't really say that's a young LB corps. The point is that most of our LBs have been in this system for 2 years and were still constantly out of place.

I don't know, maybe the system is difficult to learn, but every time I've seen defenses change DCs, they are usually improving pretty well by the second half or last third of the DCs first season. We are 24 games in, and they are still struggling in Chinander's system.

That drop? Which I wasnt talking total D, but you ignored that.
But, that drop? You know how much difference that drop was?
.7 points a game, not even one points, and they played auburn not arky state in their bowl.

We had what...3 seniors, 2 juniors, a sophomore, and 2 freshmen playing at LB? I wouldn't really say that's a young LB corps. The point is that most of our LBs have been in this system for 2 years and were still constantly out of place.

I don't know, maybe the system is difficult to learn, but every time I've seen defenses change DCs, they are usually improving pretty well by the second half or last third of the DCs first season. We are 24 games in, and they are still struggling in Chinander's system.
They werent out of place. They were confused and beat. They overan plays, thats not out of place, they got caught in the wash, failing to beat it out or pick their way through it. They could not, could not pass defend.
Our LB on the line had no sacks, and I believe no tfls either.
Two of our tackles had more sacks than our best blitzing LB.
We put in our walkon LB freshman, to upgrade our athleticism.
We put our scholly frosh in for Davis as well.

Our LBs stunk it up, not all of them, just the other three on any given play.

Dude, stop lying, ucf didnt finish 42 in S&P.

My bad. I thought you said scoring defense.

I don't think a defense on a team that employs an up-tempo offense needs to be a bad defense simply by default, and I think Frost is off his rocker if he thinks that we are going to be successful if his target for his defense is 30-points a game. We are going to lose a lot of games if we give up 30/game in the B1G. There are too many good defenses in the B1G to give up 30/game.

We averaged 5.5 yards/play this year vs 5.7 yards/play last year. That needs to drop below 5 if we want to be successful.

I don't think a defense on a team that employs an up-tempo offense needs to be a bad defense simply by default, and I think Frost is off his rocker if he thinks that we are going to be successful if his target for his defense is 30-points a game. We are going to lose a lot of games if we give up 30/game in the B1G. There are too many good defenses in the B1G to give up 30/game.

We averaged 5.5 yards/play this year vs 5.7 yards/play last year. That needs to drop below 5 if we want to be successful.
I thought it was more like low twenties. I can't remember where I'd heard that, but that's the focus.
If the D is truly going to be successful, they need those turnovers, their aggressive play should cause more than the norm by quite a bit.
I do remember reading where we had good amounts of opponents to fumble, but we weretowards the bottom of recovering them, thats partly luck,part running to the ball and swarming.
Our ints haven't been in high numbers either, and likely won't with Bootle back there, and until we get backers or enough bodies for packages that can cover.

Just compare our numbers to ucf, a hidden gem of how this D works its magic

He realizes by now that his defense can’t give up 31 points a game and still win enough games to win a division doing this...

I would hope.

They werent out of place. They were confused and beat. They overan plays, thats not out of place, they got caught in the wash, failing to beat it out or pick their way through it. They could not, could not pass defend.
Our LB on the line had no sacks, and I believe no tfls either.
Two of our tackles had more sacks than our best blitzing LB.
We put in our walkon LB freshman, to upgrade our athleticism.
We put our scholly frosh in for Davis as well.

Our LBs stunk it up, not all of them, just the other three on any given play.

Overrunning plays IS being out of place. And is they were confused with the defense, that means they aren't being developed effectively. Getting caught in the wash is again on player development/teaching

I guess we'll find out this year if it's coaching or talent. I don't think our talent is so woeful at LB that our coaches couldn't get more out of them. And hearing from one of the opposing coaches that we don't mix up our defenses enough, and stay in our base defense almost all the time, is highly concerning too.

Overrunning plays IS being out of place. And is they were confused with the defense, that means they aren't being developed effectively. Getting caught in the wash is again on player development/teaching

I guess we'll find out this year if it's coaching or talent. I don't think our talent is so woeful at LB that our coaches couldn't get more out of them. And hearing from one of the opposing coaches that we don't mix up our defenses enough, and stay in our base defense almost all the time, is highly concerning too.
Just add slow to each of those scenarios
I firmly believe thats been most of our problems, some was strength as well, Im mainly talking ILB here, but our on line backer was slow to the ball, but finally did a decent job of sealing the end, which didnt happen until the end of this year.
Our other backer we counted on, and we're so thin, it really hurt, decided to sell realestate.

I'll go on record, the play of our backers by just having new bodies, plus more for depth and spelling some of our old backers, will be much much better, and it'll make the whole D look better, by getting pressure and to the qb, pass coverage, and run fits, getting there on time and in position.

That drop? Which I wasnt talking total D, but you ignored that.
But, that drop? You know how much difference that drop was?
.7 points a game, not even one points, and they played auburn not arky state in their bowl.

My point is, and has always been, that Chinander hasn't been better than an average DC in his 4 years, and is actually a below average DC at Nebraska so far. If he doesn't improve pretty substantially this year on that side of the ball, Frost needs to take action.

ADVERTISEMENT