Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by scarletred, Jan 10, 2020.

1. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Do we really know that all three of these legends couldn't win more than 4-5 games the last two season? Is that what you honestly believe?

Hoosker Du and CameronKrazie86 like this.
  2. NorthwoodHusker

NorthwoodHusker Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

All that experience, they'd likely won more, but still struggled.

huskerssalts likes this.
  3. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

In the sad, sarcastic, jackassy way you always do.

SeaOfRed75 and Swiv3D like this.
  4. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Interviewing at Oregon this weekend.

5. Huskers_Rule

Huskers_Rule First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Copy cats are never truly successful? LMAO One of the surest ways to succeed in life is to copy the actions of someone who has been. How do you think we got a billion reality TV shows? Copy cats.

6. jrhuskerdad

jrhuskerdad Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

There’s no smoke. That’s a cloud of vape. The second I saw on the ESPN ticker that Helfrich was fired I said to my buddy that Frost should hire him as an analyst. Any twit who knows anything about Frost could make that connection. The Athlon “article” is a glorified message board post of conjecture.

Thrasher31 likes this.
  7. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I do not want to speculate on what is going on with the staff, that is not my thing.

But I have a question for all the sunshine pumpers on here who have been laying out the reasons for the team's poor play. Frost just needs his players, MR left things a mess, better S&C while others were seeing poor technique on the field. So now there is speculation that Frost is shaking things up which would indicate there are significant problems in the coaching/development part of this formula. Year three and we could possibly be retooling the coaching staff. Interesting to say the least.

Red I 73 likes this.
  8. Trumplestiltskin

Expand Collapse

....or it could simply be guys getting other jobs they wanted for various reasons. Everything has to have a negative slant for some reason.

9. Trumplestiltskin

Expand Collapse

i

Maybe cuz Colorado pretty much ran him out of town?

10. dckchusker

dckchusker Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Dean Pope and NorthwoodHusker like this.
  11. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

If we're going to copy someone, I'd rather follow 90's Nebraska formula to success rather than follow Oregon's formula. That means playing great defense and special teams is just as important as having a great offense. I think we have a much better chance at winning championships if we follow our own formula for success rather than Oregon.

12. barney44

barney44 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Urban Meyer has a proven track record at multiple stops. If you want results asap then you get him on the phone. I wouldn’t assume Florida or Ohio State type results, I would feel confident in saying that our record would be better.

13. oldjar07

Expand Collapse

I think it's a good thing he's doing it now rather than waiting another year to make changes. I think these first two years have proven that the coaching staff as it was wasn't going to work here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making changes to try to improve or trying to make upgrades to your coaching staff.

HuskerPam, bshirt73 and vs540husker like this.
  14. oldjar07

Expand Collapse

His post doesn't have to be viewed as a negative. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making staffing changes if things aren't working out.

15. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough, could be, but not how it is being portrayed here.

16. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I honestly don’t see those coaches making our players, all stars. Most of our starters wouldn’t start on another BIG 10 team, let alone great Head Coaches like these guys doing that much better then what Frost has. None of us know...they could have done worse for all we know. Honestly, I’m sure they done a little better...sure. But My point was Frost took over a mess and most coaches in his shoes would struggle too.

136 huskerssalts, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    bshirt73 likes this.
  17. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Bingo...that’s exactly my point.

18. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Not how it is being portrayed by fans? So many are ready to say Frost is making changes, but where’s the proof of that? Which posters are in the know?

It appears that changes are happening, but I think it’s speculation at best as to why the changes are happening.

NorthwoodHusker likes this.
  19. vs540husker

vs540husker Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

FWIW on 93.7 today, Sipple said there could be another coach besides Dewitt & Walters leaving. Reddit mentioned it as well and fingers seem to point to Beckton.

oldjar07 likes this.
  20. oldjar07

Expand Collapse

Why does it matter what kind of front you want to put on it. You think it's a coincidence that most of the coaches fans have a problem with and were blamed for poor performance are the same ones that are rumored to be leaving? If a head coach really wants an assistant on his staff, he's going to beg him to stay. If a head coach doesn't want them, he's not even going to try to convince them to stay. That's a form of pressure in and of itself that maybe certain coaches aren't wanted or needed here. I think it's laughable that people believe these coaches aren't being pressured no matter how slight or not to move on.

headcard likes this.
  21. cubsker

cubsker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

come on now.

22. red scowl

red scowl Senior
    Expand Collapse

Seems more like a statement, teacher.

headcard likes this.
  23. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Too many reasons for a coach to leave. Some just like to move around, some get tired of recruiting, some want to recruit more,some want to be in a particular region, some have health concerns where other locations benefit their health,some have other coaches that are friends that need help,there are many more.

I didn't go into improving their position, moving to coaching a different position etc etc etc.
    Some aren't cutting it, but as a staff that gels and meshes well together, that's not usually the case.

It's likely one or a derivation of one or another above, or one I haven't mentioned, but regardless, if a coach is gone,SF is going to do his level best to find that coaches replacement.

HuskerPam likes this.
  24. otismotis08

otismotis08 Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Staff shakeup at this point shows that we're still finding our groove. Clearly the SF era has had an inauspicious start, but I'm thankful to know that he is in charge and welcome changes at this time. Still settling in, but recruiting and other signs point to a slow upward progression. SF has time on his side with a supportive administration. We'll get there eventually.

bshirt73 and c3o like this.
  25. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but we still haven't heard the name yet that all of us have been wanting to hear as leaving. Our defense is still the main reason why we have lost more games than we've won under Frost.

26. daddy mack

daddy mack Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sorry yes LSU Offense has been great this year, but without Burrow that same Offense was very pedestrian in years past. J B is a phenom and and is extremely accurate passer. Yes they have some high caliber WR, but iIm still a little skeptical of Joseph as a WR coach, and would prefer KW. In no way can I see MJ as a top OC candidate. If we want a top notch OC / AHC the best fit would be Jeff Nixon of Baylor. Doesn’t matter the cost swing for the fence. Then bring in KW or MJ as Wr coach and make Held TE coach and Lead recruiter. Everyone of these coaches has a ton of connections And all are proven top rated recruiters. Anyway that would be a great Staff!!

27. bshirt73

bshirt73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm sure HCSF fully realizes that what worked wonders in the AAC doesn't work real well in the Big10. The Big10 is simply a far, far bigger, meaner & physical animal.

So yeah, he is indeed going a different direction now & I'm damn glad he's doing it.

28. Hoosker Du

Expand Collapse

You've officially lost your mind.

Charlie Marlow likes this.
  29. bshirt73

bshirt73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Are you joking? This year our special teams were way, wayyyyy worse than our offense or defense and probably caused us two or three lost games.

The defense, while of course not great (or even really good) but did improve this year & the offense had several problems. Big problems with our qb & OLine. Especially the first 3/4 of the season.

Anyways, I most respectfully disagree.

30. Hoosker Du

Expand Collapse

Yes, I most certainly do think Jim Leonard, Dave Aranda, and Brent Venables would have decidedly better results than what Chinander has had. I don't think there is even a question if they would be more successful than Chinander. Of course they would. None of them would have LBs that were running around like they had no clue of where the ball was.

PeliniTheCrutch likes this.
  31. kaz36

kaz36 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I believe that has already happened and said coach will be given a raise.

OzzyLvr, xxUNRIVALEDxx and oldjar07 like this.
  32. Hoosker Du

Expand Collapse

OK, so you think that Special Teams, which represents 20% of the plays in a football game, are more important than the 40% of the game's plays represented by defense. Sure, they are important for field position, but if I'm going to fix either offense, defense, or special teams, I'm going to focus on defense first, then offense, then special teams. Remember the adage "Offense wins games, defense wins championships?"

Our defense has given up 30 points or more in close to 60% of the games over the last 2 years under Chinander. In the B1G, which has a number of good defenses, that keeps teams from scoring a lot of points. THAT is the main reason why we are 9-15 under Frost so far.

33. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

and 99.9% of them suck.. be original dude

34. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Horrendous STs play, NT and db going to senior bowl, but it was our defense, as our qb regressed hugely in passing %, we had one legit rb,a TE rookie ar center, another rookie walkon at guard,a guard at tackle, but yea, it was our defense.
    We had 1 1/2 wrs, and our qb played until seasons end to get operated on, but hey, its that defense that got better against better opposition than last year,as our offense played worse, we had no kicker, gave up two tds in the return game, rated at or near bottom at having to defend the field after kicks, but yea, it was our defense, just ignore everything on here, it was the defense, not three LBs for two spots, none of which are fast enough,it was coaching keeping those LBs so slow, and the rest of the defense.
    Did I miss anything?

OzzyLvr, ThereIsNoPlace and NikkiSixx like this.
  35. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

our defense played a hell of a season there at the end.. really most of the season they did pretty good. People don't realize that the scheme gives up some points by design. If they could drop the points allowed from 30 to 25, they would be right in line with what happened at UCF. I thought Chins did a pretty good job as the year went on.

Offensively, there were lots of areas that were poor, incl play calling.

36. ThereIsNoPlace

Expand Collapse

NikkiSixx's negative posting really affected team morale. :D

NorthwoodHusker and NikkiSixx like this.
  37. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

One thing
    Cant wait for much improved ST play and any good LB play

38. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

The Japanese and Chinese economies are based on copying the Western Economies and then doing it better.

39. PeliniTheCrutch

PeliniTheCrutch First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Hey, some possible pertinent info in this thread!!

redinten and otismotis08 like this.
  40. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Depends,no,thats diapers.
    I guess if we wait around to see it posted by the state, we will find out ;)
    My guess?
    If we wait that long, we probly need those,depends

OzzyLvr likes this.