ADVERTISEMENT

Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

we could have Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer or any of those guys and their records wouldn’t be much different then Frost is now. We definitely have some talent issues...that’s for sure.

Do we really know that all three of these legends couldn't win more than 4-5 games the last two season? Is that what you honestly believe?

aren't you tired of sucking yet? I mean how many more years must Nebraska suck on the field before it returns to what made it successful?

I don't really care about Oregon football. That team has never won a National Championship, and neither has Chip's offense.

Why concern yourself so much with ranking top 22 in rushing? you don't get a championship for that you know.. it's like so many guys on here pull a stat out of their backside and defend it like the stat was the score board. The score is the only thing that matters if you want to win a championship.

See, this is a problem... 'trying to be like so and so'..

Everybody out there is trying to copy some body else, and you know what? it never works like that.

Every time the team tries to take on some new identity, it has been problematic.

Maybe just be Nebraska for a change. Be your original self instead of trying to be this or that or whatever the new fangled thing is.. there is a reason copy cats are never truly successful.

Copy cats are never truly successful? LMAO One of the surest ways to succeed in life is to copy the actions of someone who has been. How do you think we got a billion reality TV shows? Copy cats.

I'm going to wait and see on this one. But sometimes when there's smoke there's fire.
There’s no smoke. That’s a cloud of vape. The second I saw on the ESPN ticker that Helfrich was fired I said to my buddy that Frost should hire him as an analyst. Any twit who knows anything about Frost could make that connection. The Athlon “article” is a glorified message board post of conjecture.

Reactions: Thrasher31
I do not want to speculate on what is going on with the staff, that is not my thing.

But I have a question for all the sunshine pumpers on here who have been laying out the reasons for the team's poor play. Frost just needs his players, MR left things a mess, better S&C while others were seeing poor technique on the field. So now there is speculation that Frost is shaking things up which would indicate there are significant problems in the coaching/development part of this formula. Year three and we could possibly be retooling the coaching staff. Interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Red I 73
I do not want to speculate on what is going on with the staff, that is not my thing.

But I have a question for all the sunshine pumpers on here who have been laying out the reasons for the team's poor play. Frost just needs his players, MR left things a mess, better S&C while others were seeing poor technique on the field. So now there is speculation that Frost is shaking things up which would indicate there are significant problems in the coaching/development part of this formula. Year three and we could possibly be retooling the coaching staff. Interesting to say the least.

....or it could simply be guys getting other jobs they wanted for various reasons. Everything has to have a negative slant for some reason.

I think a Helfrich hire would be great, and like some others, I'm confused by some of the posts implying that becoming like Oregon would be a bad thing. From '09-'15 when Helfrich/Frost were OCs, Oregon averaged 11 wins per year in a P5 conference. If we want a better resume or more of a guarantee than that, we better find a way to get Saban, Swinney or Meyer to NU.
i

Maybe cuz Colorado pretty much ran him out of town?

Copy cats are never truly successful? LMAO One of the surest ways to succeed in life is to copy the actions of someone who has been. How do you think we got a billion reality TV shows? Copy cats.
If we're going to copy someone, I'd rather follow 90's Nebraska formula to success rather than follow Oregon's formula. That means playing great defense and special teams is just as important as having a great offense. I think we have a much better chance at winning championships if we follow our own formula for success rather than Oregon.

we could have Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer or any of those guys and their records wouldn’t be much different then Frost is now. We definitely have some talent issues...that’s for sure.

Urban Meyer has a proven track record at multiple stops. If you want results asap then you get him on the phone. I wouldn’t assume Florida or Ohio State type results, I would feel confident in saying that our record would be better.

I think it's a good thing he's doing it now rather than waiting another year to make changes. I think these first two years have proven that the coaching staff as it was wasn't going to work here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making changes to try to improve or trying to make upgrades to your coaching staff.

....or it could simply be guys getting other jobs they wanted for various reasons. Everything has to have a negative slant for some reason.
His post doesn't have to be viewed as a negative. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making staffing changes if things aren't working out.

Do we really know that all three of these legends couldn't win more than 4-5 games the last two season? Is that what you honestly believe?

I honestly don’t see those coaches making our players, all stars. Most of our starters wouldn’t start on another BIG 10 team, let alone great Head Coaches like these guys doing that much better then what Frost has. None of us know...they could have done worse for all we know. Honestly, I’m sure they done a little better...sure. But My point was Frost took over a mess and most coaches in his shoes would struggle too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
Fair enough, could be, but not how it is being portrayed here.
Not how it is being portrayed by fans? So many are ready to say Frost is making changes, but where’s the proof of that? Which posters are in the know?

It appears that changes are happening, but I think it’s speculation at best as to why the changes are happening.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
FWIW on 93.7 today, Sipple said there could be another coach besides Dewitt & Walters leaving. Reddit mentioned it as well and fingers seem to point to Beckton.

Reactions: oldjar07
Not how it is being portrayed by fans? So many are ready to say Frost is making changes, but where’s the proof of that? Which posters are in the know?

It appears that changes are happening, but I think it’s speculation at best as to why the changes are happening.
Why does it matter what kind of front you want to put on it. You think it's a coincidence that most of the coaches fans have a problem with and were blamed for poor performance are the same ones that are rumored to be leaving? If a head coach really wants an assistant on his staff, he's going to beg him to stay. If a head coach doesn't want them, he's not even going to try to convince them to stay. That's a form of pressure in and of itself that maybe certain coaches aren't wanted or needed here. I think it's laughable that people believe these coaches aren't being pressured no matter how slight or not to move on.

Reactions: headcard
I honestly don’t see those coaches making our players, all stars. Most of our starters wouldn’t start on another BIG 10 team, let alone great Head Coaches like these guys doing that much better then what Frost has. None of us know...they could have done worse for all we know. Honestly, I’m sure they done a little better...sure. But My point was Frost took over a mess and most coaches in his shoes would struggle too.

come on now.

Seems more like a statement, teacher.

Reactions: headcard
Too many reasons for a coach to leave. Some just like to move around, some get tired of recruiting, some want to recruit more,some want to be in a particular region, some have health concerns where other locations benefit their health,some have other coaches that are friends that need help,there are many more.

I didn't go into improving their position, moving to coaching a different position etc etc etc.
Some aren't cutting it, but as a staff that gels and meshes well together, that's not usually the case.

It's likely one or a derivation of one or another above, or one I haven't mentioned, but regardless, if a coach is gone,SF is going to do his level best to find that coaches replacement.

Reactions: HuskerPam
Staff shakeup at this point shows that we're still finding our groove. Clearly the SF era has had an inauspicious start, but I'm thankful to know that he is in charge and welcome changes at this time. Still settling in, but recruiting and other signs point to a slow upward progression. SF has time on his side with a supportive administration. We'll get there eventually.

Reactions: bshirt73 and c3o
and here we kept hearing how Frost won’t make any changes ;)

Yes, but we still haven't heard the name yet that all of us have been wanting to hear as leaving. Our defense is still the main reason why we have lost more games than we've won under Frost.

LSU's offense has been very dynamic this past year. We can't hire their OC so maybe somebody who at least knows their offense and has coached it might be an option to bring some of that philosophy up to the great white north IF Walters leaves. One would think it would take the OC title to get him to leave LSU. It really wouldn't be all that surprising IF Troy left. He drug his heels waiting on a HC job before he finally agreed to come with Frost. IF he want's to climb the ladder his options are to go somewhere where he actually has play calling duties, wait it out at NU and hope we have a breakout year soon, OR take a lower level head coaching gig.
Sorry yes LSU Offense has been great this year, but without Burrow that same Offense was very pedestrian in years past. J B is a phenom and and is extremely accurate passer. Yes they have some high caliber WR, but iIm still a little skeptical of Joseph as a WR coach, and would prefer KW. In no way can I see MJ as a top OC candidate. If we want a top notch OC / AHC the best fit would be Jeff Nixon of Baylor. Doesn’t matter the cost swing for the fence. Then bring in KW or MJ as Wr coach and make Held TE coach and Lead recruiter. Everyone of these coaches has a ton of connections And all are proven top rated recruiters. Anyway that would be a great Staff!!

Frost isnt trying to be someone else. He's running the offense that he was prolific with at oregon, that got him hired at UCF, that he went undefeated with at UCF, and that got him hired at Nebraska. Why anyone would want him to do anything different is beyond me.

Well, I'm sure HCSF fully realizes that what worked wonders in the AAC doesn't work real well in the Big10. The Big10 is simply a far, far bigger, meaner & physical animal.

So yeah, he is indeed going a different direction now & I'm damn glad he's doing it.

Yes, but we still haven't heard the name yet that all of us have been wanting to hear as leaving. Our defense is still the main reason why we have lost more games than we've won under Frost.

Are you joking? This year our special teams were way, wayyyyy worse than our offense or defense and probably caused us two or three lost games.

The defense, while of course not great (or even really good) but did improve this year & the offense had several problems. Big problems with our qb & OLine. Especially the first 3/4 of the season.

Anyways, I most respectfully disagree.

I don’t get ur major concerns with chinander. He has not been given an opportunity to show what he can do. Personnel just wasn’t there. Majority of players were recruited to play in banker’s 4-3. Do u honestly think Jim Leonard, Dave Aranda, Brett venrables, bob diaco, or any other big time coordinator would have that much more success. Give it time. May crash and burn but in my opinion verdict still out

Yes, I most certainly do think Jim Leonard, Dave Aranda, and Brent Venables would have decidedly better results than what Chinander has had. I don't think there is even a question if they would be more successful than Chinander. Of course they would. None of them would have LBs that were running around like they had no clue of where the ball was.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Why does it matter what kind of front you want to put on it. You think it's a coincidence that most of the coaches fans have a problem with and were blamed for poor performance are the same ones that are rumored to be leaving? If a head coach really wants an assistant on his staff, he's going to beg him to stay. If a head coach doesn't want them, he's not even going to try to convince them to stay. That's a form of pressure in and of itself that maybe certain coaches aren't wanted or needed here. I think it's laughable that people believe these coaches aren't being pressured no matter how slight or not to move on.
I believe that has already happened and said coach will be given a raise.

Are you joking? This year our special teams were way, wayyyyy worse than our offense or defense and probably caused us two or three lost games.

The defense, while of course not great (or even really good) but did improve this year & the offense had several problems. Big problems with our qb & OLine. Especially the first 3/4 of the season.

Anyways, I most respectfully disagree.

OK, so you think that Special Teams, which represents 20% of the plays in a football game, are more important than the 40% of the game's plays represented by defense. Sure, they are important for field position, but if I'm going to fix either offense, defense, or special teams, I'm going to focus on defense first, then offense, then special teams. Remember the adage "Offense wins games, defense wins championships?"

Our defense has given up 30 points or more in close to 60% of the games over the last 2 years under Chinander. In the B1G, which has a number of good defenses, that keeps teams from scoring a lot of points. THAT is the main reason why we are 9-15 under Frost so far.

and 99.9% of them suck.. be original dude

Horrendous STs play, NT and db going to senior bowl, but it was our defense, as our qb regressed hugely in passing %, we had one legit rb,a TE rookie ar center, another rookie walkon at guard,a guard at tackle, but yea, it was our defense.
We had 1 1/2 wrs, and our qb played until seasons end to get operated on, but hey, its that defense that got better against better opposition than last year,as our offense played worse, we had no kicker, gave up two tds in the return game, rated at or near bottom at having to defend the field after kicks, but yea, it was our defense, just ignore everything on here, it was the defense, not three LBs for two spots, none of which are fast enough,it was coaching keeping those LBs so slow, and the rest of the defense.
Did I miss anything?

Horrendous STs play, NT and db going to senior bowl, but it was our defense, as our qb regressed hugely in passing %, we had one legit rb,a TE rookie ar center, another rookie walkon at guard,a guard at tackle, but yea, it was our defense.
We had 1 1/2 wrs, and our qb played until seasons end to get operated on, but hey, its that defense that got better against better opposition than last year,as our offense played worse, we had no kicker, gave up two tds in the return game, rated at or near bottom at having to defend the field after kicks, but yea, it was our defense, just ignore everything on here, it was the defense, not three LBs for two spots, none of which are fast enough,it was coaching keeping those LBs so slow, and the rest of the defense.
Did I miss anything?
our defense played a hell of a season there at the end.. really most of the season they did pretty good. People don't realize that the scheme gives up some points by design. If they could drop the points allowed from 30 to 25, they would be right in line with what happened at UCF. I thought Chins did a pretty good job as the year went on.

Offensively, there were lots of areas that were poor, incl play calling.

Did I miss anything?
NikkiSixx's negative posting really affected team morale. :D

The Japanese and Chinese economies are based on copying the Western Economies and then doing it better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT