ADVERTISEMENT

Word is out on the street that Troy Walters

and here we kept hearing how Frost won’t make any changes ;)
I had a feeling he would make some changes if necessary, my biggest concern is Chin. Can Frost fire his best friend if it comes down to it? Maybe it wouldn't be a firing. Maybe it would be a coaching rearrangement. Moving him to a positional coach and bringing in another D coordinator

I had a feeling he would make some changes if necessary, my biggest concern is Chin. Can Frost fire his best friend if it comes down to it? Maybe it wouldn't be a firing. Maybe it would be a coaching rearrangement. Moving him to a positional coach and bringing in another D coordinator

That’s one move I wouldn’t mind. Honestly I’d rather see us go back to the 4-3. Seems like the move to 3-4 is when our defense took a dive. I know it’s two different systems and you need the LBs and DLine to run the 3-4.

Reactions: husker2612
I wouldn't get too bought in to the idea that Chin is going anywhere soon. I think he's a bright enough guy that he'll get things figured out. These past 2 recruiting classes are going to help that immensely IMO. We've needed a couple of difference makers on defense that we've lacked for a long time.

Supposedly Lubick was going to be the OC if Walters ended up staying at UCF. So bringing him in, in some capacity makes some sense. Of all the coaching changes and potential coaching changes, Im a bit surprised, as bad as the D has been that Chins name hasn't been mentioned at least in rumors.

Could be Lubick is replacing Walters and Helfrich is going to be a offensive analysis for a year as reported..

Helfrich hasn't coached WR. He has experience as a QB and RB coach, in addition to OC and HC. Not sure how the assistant coaching positions would be juggled if Helfrich were hired as an OC. Beckton coached WRs at UCF, including Brandon Marshall.

Beckton might be leaving, too.

Regardless, you could have Helfrich as O.C./Asst Head Coach, and then hire a WR/TE coach.

Why do people get so much glee in repeating rumors of coaches leaving?

I think a Helfrich hire would be great, and like some others, I'm confused by some of the posts implying that becoming like Oregon would be a bad thing. From '09-'15 when Helfrich/Frost were OCs, Oregon averaged 11 wins per year in a P5 conference. If we want a better resume or more of a guarantee than that, we better find a way to get Saban, Swinney or Meyer to NU.

I think a Helfrich hire would be great, and like some others, I'm confused by some of the posts implying that becoming like Oregon would be a bad thing. From '09-'15 when Helfrich/Frost were OCs, Oregon averaged 11 wins per year in a P5 conference. If we want a better resume or more of a guarantee than that, we better find a way to get Saban, Swinney or Meyer to NU.
The downplaying, on this board, of Oregon and the success they had is mind boggling to me. Under Chip, they finished #11,#3,#4 and #2 and won the Pac-12 three times. The next two years, under Helfrich, they finished #9 and #2, with another Pac-12 Championship.

we could have Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer or any of those guys and their records wouldn’t be much different then Frost is now. We definitely have some talent issues...that’s for sure.

No offense but this is BS.

Plenty of terrible coaching went on this yer during games.

Frost hasn't done sht to make excuses for him

His dumb coaching cost us games too.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

tenor.gif
Get a hold of yourself Hudson!

Reactions: DerHusker
sorry but I don’t see any head coach out there turning some of our players that wouldn’t start on another power 5 team into all stars. I never said they’d go the exact same record...just that they struggled too.
That's what Michigan told App State!

Heard the same about Walters, also heard that Mickey Joseph has been in talks with Nebraska.

This wouldn’t be a bad option either he is currently LSU receiving Asst Coach and would have could ties in the Louisiana/ Houston area...

Reactions: saluno22
If that happened, it would be interesting to see what happens with the OC title.
LSU's offense has been very dynamic this past year. We can't hire their OC so maybe somebody who at least knows their offense and has coached it might be an option to bring some of that philosophy up to the great white north IF Walters leaves. One would think it would take the OC title to get him to leave LSU. It really wouldn't be all that surprising IF Troy left. He drug his heels waiting on a HC job before he finally agreed to come with Frost. IF he want's to climb the ladder his options are to go somewhere where he actually has play calling duties, wait it out at NU and hope we have a breakout year soon, OR take a lower level head coaching gig.

and even in that 4-8 season after Frost left, the offense scored 35 pts/game. The defense was the main problem, giving up almost 42 ppg.

Reactions: headcard
Or LaMichael James.

that was with Chip as HC, but yeah, the point still stands. James, Freeman, DeAnthony Thomas, Kenjon Barner, Legarette Blount plus a bunch of guys at QB that were good runners - it's always been a staple of the good Oregon teams.

Reactions: headcard
I think Frost realized after last years collapse that MR and the players aren't all to blame. Think that is why we are seeing staff departures.
That was obvious from the very first game of year 1 that it wasn't just the players to blame. I'm glad there finally seems to be some accountability in the program and we're making some much needed changes.

Beckton might be leaving, too.

Regardless, you could have Helfrich as O.C./Asst Head Coach, and then hire a WR/TE coach.
That only works if Helrich gets to run the offense and call the plays. Can't really hire a coach that doesn't coach a position group and still have Frost call the plays.

Reactions: Thrasher31
Did Frost really call the plays? He generally seemed pretty quiet when they put the camera on him from what I saw. Now maybe, he had already called it and obviously, he could overrule, but I feel like Walters called the majority of the game.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Did Frost really call the plays? He generally seemed pretty quiet when they put the camera on him from what I saw. Now maybe, he had already called it and obviously, he could overrule, but I feel like Walters called the majority of the game.

That would explain the Purdue game at the 3 yard line wouldn’t it...Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT