With the loss of Jr., Watts, and Blades

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by ElRoberson, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ElRoberson

ElRoberson Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Nebraska's rivals ranking for the 2017 class now drops to 39th...

2. DukeOfSorrow

DukeOfSorrow Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I'm just curious, did you also recalculate for the teams 1-38 to account for their losses as well?

3. ElRoberson

ElRoberson Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I did not, simply removing the point totals from those 3 recruits and subtracting it from our total

4. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I think 3 is far above average compared to most schools. My guess for the BIG schools would be somewhere between 0.5 and 1 per year. I suspect our precamp attrition rate for this class is ~ 3x higher than the norm. When you consider that 2 of the 3 lost were among our highest rated recruits my guess is that if you recalculated the ratings based on every schools attrition to this point it would be ranked well below 20.

Yes, we all get that precamp attrition occurs from time to time. I would think losing 3 is rare.

maybe my assumptions above are wrong but losing 1 recruit every year to every other year seems about right

4 jlb321, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    jehresm likes this.
  5. DukeOfSorrow

DukeOfSorrow Walk On
    Expand Collapse

1 to 1.5 IMO. We're above average for sure on this class already, I won't debate that. But as I looked through the top few '17 classes a few days ago, I saw at least one school that will also likely be without 3 of their signees, so we're not in a highly abnormal territory, either. Not to mention, the KJJ situation is a little different then Blades and Watts. He did technically... make it on campus. :)

jlb321 likes this.
  6. maplesyrup95

maplesyrup95 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I believe there's a decent chance Keyshawn Jr comes back next year IMHO. With this being Riley's 3rd year, I think he has more of the type of players fit for his system than the first 2 seasons. We're about to find out if our coaching staff can turn these recruiting classes into something. If Wisconsin can do it with 3 different head coaches and have generally below average recruiting classes, with Riley's new hires (especially on defense) I think Nebraska can do the same.

pahusker139 and huskerfan1414 like this.
  7. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Not to mention that KJJ was high on our list... and his list too!

DukeOfSorrow likes this.
  8. jlb321

Expand Collapse

anyone know the last time Nebraska lost 3 recruits before camp?
    I believe everyone made it to fall camp last year

9. Tuco Salamanca

Tuco Salamanca Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

How many wins does losing these three recruits cost Nebraska in 2017?

I don't care about 2018-2021, that isn't what I asked.

10. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

the thing with Wisconsin is their AD runs that program. Regardless of what coach is there, there won't be any big change in identity or formula.. this also means they have a lot of coaching turnover.

I believe our AD has also taken this cue from his mentor Barry Alvarez, the difference being SE wants to have a pro style identity. They have worked very hard at recruiting, of which the return on that investment could be argued either way... We see some success, yet the average class ranking suggests little real movement.

They have to start winning and proving that this system/identity will work here long term.

I am okay with the AD keeping the identity of the program in check. They just have yet to prove that their system is any better than the traditional one Nebraska had for so long.

maplesyrup95 likes this.
  11. DukeOfSorrow

DukeOfSorrow Walk On
    Expand Collapse

We will be lucky to get 5 wins this year without those guys.

Bank of Hawk likes this.
  12. Footballfinatic2016

Footballfinatic2016 Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We would have been 42nd. I think 38th figuring in your question. Top 40 class.

13. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

So where does that highly ranked 2013 class now rank?

maplesyrup95 and timnsun like this.
  14. DukeOfSorrow

DukeOfSorrow Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Yeah? How did you figure that one out, when not all the schools have reported enrollee numbers?

timnsun and SOHusker11 like this.
  15. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

Has anyone recalculated to 2014 class? Where do we rank now?

maplesyrup95 likes this.
  16. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

So...

17. coachDubs

coachDubs Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

No, it doesn't fit his agenda.

18. Yossarian23

Yossarian23 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking Ernest Suttles and Thomas Brown in 2013, but it turns out that Thomas Brown was a 2012 recruit.

However, in researching that, Ernest Suttles, Tre'vell Dixon and Dimarya Mixon all signed in 2013 and none made it to camp. Only Suttles got on campus.

July 2013 was rough...my google searches show those three not making it (Mixon drug on into August, evidently), Mike Marrow left, Marcus Newby was waiting to be cleared, and Alexis Lewis and Avery Moss were waiting on court cases.

2014 saw Larenzo Stewart, Deandre Wills and Monte Harrison not make it after signing...but Harrison really isn't a fair comparison.

Bank of Hawk, DukeOfSorrow and jlb321 like this.
  19. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

Did you recalculate Bo's stellar 2013 class after Ernest Suttles, Drake Martinez, Trevell Dixon, Dimara Mixon, Dwayne Johnson, Johnny Stanton, Kevin Gladney,Greg Hart, Courtney Love all didn't make it or transferred??

20. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

How about 2012 where Curry, Whitaker, Alexander, Moss, Afalava, Brown, and Thurston flaked or bailed??

21. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

2011 ..Peat, Pirman, Aaron Green, Sterup, Starling, Klachko and Tyler Moore bailed?? This is a fun game..go to work finatic and Roberson...crunch those Bo numbers boys, let me know where those classes come out.Sick:rolleyes:

21 HBK4life, Jul 19, 2017
    DukeOfSorrow, SOHusker11 and bigboxes like this.
  22. bigboxes

Expand Collapse

Let these boys have some slack. They've been waiting for some bad news on Riley. Now, that they've got it they have to wave it in somebody's face. Won't you please think of Bo!

Bank of Hawk and HBK4life like this.
  23. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

Sad..really, they both circle jerk around their Bo poster nightly. All that's missing is a pivot man. Keep looking boys, there is a few idiots still around.RollingLaughLaughing

24. jlb321

Expand Collapse

My question was how many didn't make it to their initial fall camp for curiosity purposes. People are way to quick to assume negative intent.

We actually want those players that aren't going to contribute to bail so their scholarships can be opened up. A lot of busts in those Pelini classes - yikes

25. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

On the positive side we gain 2 more recruits for the 2018 class.;)

26. 8675309husker

8675309husker Junior
    Expand Collapse

Bo Pelini sucked. He was a bastard. If people want to continue to get on their knees for him, then that shows me what type of people they are.

27. Truehuskerfan

Truehuskerfan Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

So in other words, your recalculation is completely worthless and meaningless and was done solely to make Riley look bad. Where is your recalculation for all of Bo's classes? Oh-but you won't do that because it doesn't fit your agenda. Your "recalculation" is nothing but a worthless piece of agenda crap. Fake news extraordinaire.

Plus, if you're going to recalculate just based on players that don't make it to campus, then you should also recalculate for players that make it to campus but never play. Or transfer. Or never contribute significantly. Either you use the recruiting rankings as they were after signing day, or you recalculate several years after the fact. Just taking players off the list and recalculating based solely on that is extremely lazy and agenda driven.

27 Truehuskerfan, Jul 19, 2017
    DukeOfSorrow likes this.
  28. Bugeater

Bugeater Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

As Coach Dale said in that there Hoosier movie, "I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not." Lots of work ahead for the coaches and existing players, no time to worry about those that are no longer there or didn't make it in.

Red Steve likes this.
  29. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Isn't that the truth!

30. Hot.Carl

Hot.Carl Newbie
    Expand Collapse

How was bo able to pump 9 wins yearly with such bad recruiting? Mike will have had one in four years when he "retires"

31. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

Callahans recruits. Get back to your pivotal role as pivot man.

32. rrthusker

rrthusker Administrator
    Expand Collapse

You mean the coach that said F all Nebraska fans?

Red Steve and 8675309husker like this.
  33. jlb321

Expand Collapse

Here we go again. You can't criticize anything regarding the current staff and still be supportive overall. Any criticism means you are a fan of Bo. Just like in the initial years any criticism of Bo meant you wanted Callahan back.

It doesn't have to be all or none. For instance on whole I really disliked Bo, however what he did or partnered with the university to do for the Hoffman family was amazing.

I think it is fair to have some questions about how the 2017 class has trended since signing day. Doesn't mean it was horrible and doesn't mean you automatically think Bo did a better job

Ultimately Coach Riley will be judged on his wins and losses. Almost all would agree that regardless of how things turn out he is a better representative of the program.

GBR

34. DukeOfSorrow

DukeOfSorrow Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I hate that I'm going back to the Bo argument circle jerk but I'm just gonna say that it's not like those were solid 9 wins. Several times it was barely. Remember when Ameer and to save us from McNeese freaking state? If he doesnt have that Heisman esque run after the catch we become the biggest upset since App Stare depantsed Michigan on opening weekend.

35. SC_'sker

SC_'sker Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

looooooool

[​IMG]

36. jflores

jflores Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Where in the hell did this "trending from signing day" metric come from? As far as I know, it has not been applied to no other coach in the moment, except now when people want to point out how fairly normal this is.

The general talking point around recruiting classes is you are going to lose half your class to some reason or another, legal, medical, dud on the field, whatever. There's literally zero reason to judge now "how the class is trending" other than to find nits to pick in a coach who is otherwise doing a good job. There's no magic toothfairy that promises all Husker fans it'll only take the 3* at positions that are well stocked will be the ones who drop.

Hell we hated Bill Callahan, and we at least did him the service of evaluating his recruiting like every other coach in the business, a bunch of folks sat around in 2010 and wrote an article on how his 2005 class ended up.

We aren't even in fall camp folks, and people want to track how the 2017 class recruiting ranking should be revised. Wake up folks, the recruits, the staff, they know that BS doesn't mean anything for 2017 now, its all about what happens the next few years.

If one wants to fight about recruiting ranking....its 2018 now guys.

timnsun, DukeOfSorrow and bigboxes like this.
  37. bigboxes

Expand Collapse

I agree. This is not something to fault Riley for. He took chances on a few this class. I would not consider KJJ on Riley at all. Just a young man who wasn't keeping focused on his reason for being here. All this means is that adjustments have to be made and others have to step up. In fact, we can take a few more in the upcoming class that was supposed to be so small. Like I said earlier in the week, Riley is laying a great foundation. Piling on Riley this early in the game is whimsical. Shows your agenda.

timnsun likes this.
  38. ElRoberson

ElRoberson Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Shucks! You guys must have not read my posting history. I am as big of a Mike Riley fan as they come!! A 39th ranked class is outstanding for Mike. He finally has access to the types of resources that can help him achieve greatness. Please don't pile on me for simply making an observation. I don't know the history of Coach Pelini and frankly don't care to either...I am here to support Mike. Gosh are all Nebraska fans this defensive? I'm going to my first game this fall and can't wait to meet some of you guys!

SWIowahawks likes this.
  39. jlb321

Expand Collapse

agree, poor choice of words - class attrition prior to the beginning of the season would have been better wording

but regardless you are right .. it is a soft metric
    the only true metrics that matter are wins-losses, division titles, conference championships, top ten finishes and major bowl games
    the first 2 years were understandably transition years - the 9 wins last year was a positive

look forward to continued progress in year 3

looking back .. you have to go back to Bill Jennings to find a coach who hasn't played for a conference championship or gone to a major bowl game in his first three years at Nebraska

riley took over a pretty F'd up situation so it might take him a little longer than the coaches that came before him

39 jlb321, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  40. inWV

inWV Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Likely that KJJ would have muddled along for a year or so and then got his act together after a RS. His dad wants more than that.