ADVERTISEMENT

With No Mo’...

IUHusker

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 28, 2005
Does this help the offense find an identity.

Do we become more of a power run, ball control (if we can hang on to it) offense.

Mills seems more a straight line runner that we could try and pound between the tackles rather than trying to get Mo In space on the outside.

I still think we have enough on O to move the ball and score some points.

QB: Martinez & Vedral
RBs: Mills & Mazour (Wan’Dale) (Johnson)
WRs: Kade, Wan’Dale & ???
TE: Stoll & Allen

maybe a simplified scheme helps the OL too...(it can’t hurt)

Do we become more of a power run, ball control (if we can hang on to it) offense.

Mills seems more a straight line runner that we could try and pound between the tackles rather than trying to get Mo In space on the outside.

We've got other guys who can run inside and out if they get a chance. Belt is not chopped liver and right now he sits atop several scholarship guys on the depth chart. I'm not all that worried about RB unless we run a true freshman out and he blows some assignments.

Is the idea that a ball control, power run offense is easier to execute and therefore more likely to be successful? I don't think I agree with that. Our players (and coaches) aren't built to run such a scheme. I think it's a recipe to average 14 points per game for the rest of the year.

In my opinion, the best chance the offense has to turn things around is with Adrian Martinez and the vertical passing game. If they can stretch the field then it will open up the run game, which is designed to be predicated on speed, tempo, and explosive plays.

The main thing that Washington was good at was taking it to the house from anywhere on the field unless it required running between the tackles.

One of the reasons why he was a cancer in the locker room is he would bounce plays to the outside all of the time when there were holes between the tackles when the play call was designed to be an inside run. It's the entire reason why his carries had been dropping and dropping as the season went on.

There will not be any changes to the offense. Same plays, same players.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Weirdly it may be helpful to the offense to be completely and totally without Washington. He's an icing player, he's not the cake. And you can't make a cake out of nothing but icing. But it feels like they've been trying to.

Wan'dale is a rare guy who is the whole damn cake, that kid can do everything, but sounds like he might not be ready to go on Saturday and I hope they keep him out if that ankle is still hurt because you'll get him hurt worse.

This is an offense that needs to get good at the ordinary. Show me you can mix flour and sugar and cocoa with an egg before we worry about you trying to make cartoon characters out of frosting.

Block inside and outside zone like you're supposed to. Press the blocks and cut back like you're supposed to. Run your route like you're supposed to. Block a corner like you're supposed to. Throw the ball where it goes when it goes there if it's a set play where we designed this for the Z receiver to be open.

At this stage in the game they need an RB who knows how to get 4-6 yards when it's there on an OK play more than they need an RB who can go for a touchdown on a really great play. Because they're a team that generates way more OK plays than really great plays.

Is the idea that a ball control, power run offense is easier to execute and therefore more likely to be successful? I don't think I agree with that. Our players (and coaches) aren't built to run such a scheme. I think it's a recipe to average 14 points per game for the rest of the year.

In my opinion, the best chance the offense has to turn things around is with Adrian Martinez and the vertical passing game. If they can stretch the field then it will open up the run game, which is designed to be predicated on speed, tempo, and explosive plays.
I completely agree with this.

I do think Mills has shown a lot of progress from game 1 when he just battering rammed his way to 2.5 yards/carry to now showing some patience and vision out of the shotgun. If he can hang onto the ball, he's a serviceable lead back.

Success will all be predicated on the vertical passing game with Adrian, though. Do we finally see Chase, Kade or others 1 on 1 down the sideline? Sure hope so. 50/50 jump balls are just something we haven't done this season and it's allowed defenses to pin their ears back and rush the passer/jump crossers with no fear of getting beat over the top. It's not something I've seen talked a lot about in terms of what's hampered the offense, but I think it's a fairly significant factor. We miss Stan's size desperately in that regard, and I don't blame Adrian for not being confident throwing it up to 5'9" receivers unless they're running wide open.

It's too bad Austin Allen has stone hands, it'd be nice to see him split out with his frame to try and go get a couple.

Reactions: mpbrown27

I wonder if we see a lot more of the Power I stuff. Mills seems to do much better in that system. They have had 2 weeks to work on it.

Weirdly it may be helpful to the offense to be completely and totally without Washington. He's an icing player, he's not the cake. And you can't make a cake out of nothing but icing. But it feels like they've been trying to.

Wan'dale is a rare guy who is the whole damn cake, that kid can do everything, but sounds like he might not be ready to go on Saturday and I hope they keep him out if that ankle is still hurt because you'll get him hurt worse.

This is an offense that needs to get good at the ordinary. Show me you can mix flour and sugar and cocoa with an egg before we worry about you trying to make cartoon characters out of frosting.

Block inside and outside zone like you're supposed to. Press the blocks and cut back like you're supposed to. Run your route like you're supposed to. Block a corner like you're supposed to. Throw the ball where it goes when it goes there if it's a set play where we designed this for the Z receiver to be open.

At this stage in the game they need an RB who knows how to get 4-6 yards when it's there on an OK play more than they need an RB who can go for a touchdown on a really great play. Because they're a team that generates way more OK plays than really great plays.

This is a longer term project. We need to keep as many of the young talented guys as health as possible and RS as many as possible. We aren't winning anything this year. Make it to a bowl and look toward the bright future.

Husker fans are deluding themselves if they don't acknowledge that losing Washington is huge. Few teams have linebackers who can cover him. Iowa's cannot defend him.
Do you actually read what anyone is writing or just spout off stupid troll sh-t? Literally no one on this thread said we won't miss Mo. Almost no one on any other thread has said this. They are talking about what happens without him.

The main thing that Washington was good at was taking it to the house from anywhere on the field unless it required running between the tackles.

One of the reasons why he was a cancer in the locker room is he would bounce plays to the outside all of the time when there were holes between the tackles when the play call was designed to be an inside run. It's the entire reason why his carries had been dropping and dropping as the season went on.

There will not be any changes to the offense. Same plays, same players.
Good post except him being a cancer in the locker room is stating something as fact that I haven't heard evidence of. There have been times the middle collapsed and he ran outside for a nice gain. But there have been many other times there was a hole inside that could have gotten 3-4 yards and he bounced outside and got stuffed. Frustrated the heck out of me and probably the Oline as well.

Good post except him being a cancer in the locker room is stating something as fact that I haven't heard evidence of.
You probably won't hear it validated officially, but it is certainly being put about on a lot of different boards/twitter/etc, on the radio, at the water cooler, etc. Uber is just repeating what is all over out there and has been since late last week. Once he is really off the team, it will probably all come out. Most people aren't going to out their sources and it is perfectly reasonable and understandable to be skeptical in those cases.

In the area between Lincoln and Omaha with so many former huskers and parents with kids on the teams, yada yada yada, you hear all kinds of stuff. No different than a lot of other teenage drama.

Do you actually read what anyone is writing or just spout off stupid troll sh-t? Literally no one on this thread said we won't miss Mo. Almost no one on any other thread has said this. They are talking about what happens without him.
Below is from the thread. You have trouble with the meaning of "literally." Husker fans are known nationally for being delusional.

"Weirdly it may be helpful to the offense to be completely and totally without Washington."

Reactions: SWIowahawks
We've got other guys who can run inside and out if they get a chance. Belt is not chopped liver and right now he sits atop several scholarship guys on the depth chart. I'm not all that worried about RB unless we run a true freshman out and he blows some assignments.
Brody Belt will never be 25% the back that Mo could be. We are in dire straights if that kids in the 2 deep.

Below is from the thread. You have trouble with the meaning of "literally." Husker fans are known nationally for being delusional.

"Weirdly it may be helpful to the offense to be completely and totally without Washington."
Yah, you got me on a single sentence there chief. Great job.

I didn't say he isn't a good player. My point is that he's not a 3-down running back. He's a third down back or a slot receiver.

He can't run through tackles or bang for tough yards in the box and trying to make him do that is just bad business. You can't try to square-peg-round-hole him if he isn't there. Dude is a great athlete but he isn't the core of your offense, he's a complementary weapon who needs a guy like Mills to be effective to open things up for him.

There aren't a lot of positives to where NU finds itself right now, there just aren't. But I have said all year that the offense isn't popping because they haven't gotten their inside run game going.

And they've tried every which way to gimmick the inside run game unstuck by succeeding at something else rather than commit to saying, "We will bang on this and rep this in practice and in games until you prove to me you understand this concept and can hit people like you mean it."

They've sorta slowly had all the "cute stuff" ripped away from them until this is all they're left with: if Nebraska can't hammer with Mills on Saturday, we will not beat IU. So they are repping and banging on that for two weeks. And perhaps they should have been all along.

Devine Ozigbo being a 1,000+ yard runner unlocked a lot of doors for this offense last year. Those doors have been locked this year and they have looked like they're trying every key but the right one.

Yah, you got me on a single sentence there chief. Great job.
And there's also this. You're deluding yourself if you don't acknowledge your post was nonsensical.

"We've got other guys who can run inside and out if they get a chance."

"Does this help the offense find an identity."

And there's also this. You're deluding yourself if you don't acknowledge your post was nonsensical.

None of which says we aren't going to miss Mo. Seriously, are you just stupid? Do wear a helmet? It seems like you are reaching for straws. You seem like you just want to make the point that Husker fans are delusional instead. Does that make you feel better in some way? C'mon, you have your little troll account, can't you do better?

Reactions: Frozone
A lot of this can be attributed to our receivers getting drilled on high passes down the middle

my WR meant wandale. JD has taken a couple of shots, but I don't think we've had any other receivers miss time from being hung out to dry.

my WR meant wandale. JD has taken a couple of shots, but I don't think we've had any other receivers miss time from being hung out to dry.
Sorry I actually kinda meant to respond to a different post but oh well. Stoll has gotten lit up several times as well as jd and wandales taken some shots too. They compile and take their toll.
Wandales haven't been that much over the middle.... except in the high school all star game where noa Palo Gates lit him up

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
Sorry I actually kinda meant to respond to a different post but oh well. Stoll has gotten lit up several times as well as jd and wandales taken some shots too. They compile and take their toll.
Wandales haven't been that much over the middle.... except in the high school all star game where noa Palo Gates lit him up
Luckily Wandale's big shot that he took against Illinois he sort of landed on the defender's back first and it broke his fall. Could have been a much worse hit.

Reactions: huskerfan66

We are almost certainly going to miss Washington's skill set.

We are almost certainly not going to miss everything else that came along with it.

There. Is that clear?

We are almost certainly going to Miss Washington's skill set.

We are almost certainly not going to miss everything else that came along with it.

There. Is that clear?

His skill set is vastly overrated. Outside of jet sweeps, what did he really bring to the table? Don't get me wrong, I think he has the talent to be something special but he has always been an undeveloped player that hasn't grown into his role in the offense and relied too much on an overinflated sense of self confidence.

Luckily Wandale's big shot that he took against Illinois he sort of landed on the defender's back first and it broke his fall. Could have been a much worse hit.
The thing about that play, if you watch it again, is if Martinez throws the ball when he first looks that way, on time and in rhythm, he hits Wandale about 4-5 yards earlier where Wandale can make a move and probably take it the distance. Instead Martinez hesitates, double clutches, shuffles once, then throws it late and high where Wandale gets drilled.

Losing his skill set hurts.
Losing his effort level and attitude is a plus.

He was emotionally checked out after the Ohio State game. Bottom line it was time for the team to move on and find other options.
Well said

Brody Belt will never be 25% the back that Mo could be. We are in dire straights if that kids in the 2 deep.
Im not going to trash the kid, but go take a peak at his stats since being here. Im sorry but that type of production is not tough to replace. Yes he had 1 play TD abilities but those were so few and far between it didn't much matter. Now if he could have stuck it out, been a team player and developed, yes he is probably the best RB we have.

Im not going to trash the kid, but go take a peak at his stats since being here. Im sorry but that type of production is not tough to replace. Yes he had 1 play TD abilities but those were so few and far between it didn't much matter. Now if he could have stuck it out, been a team player and developed, yes he is probably the best RB we have.
Thing with him is I don't think he's able to put on the weight so the developing into an every-down back was never going to happen. They needed to be able to put him at that slot/wingback/duck-r whatever you wanna call it and let him be a receiver who can also run and let him return kicks.

Looks like dude is gonna go down as the next DeAngelo Evans or David Horne or whoever you wanna rattle off who we crowned the next all-conf RB as a freshman and then it never came to fruition.

ADVERTISEMENT