ADVERTISEMENT

With all due respect, IF you are a person posting on this board that

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
we need to be looking for a different basketball coach, YOU'RE A FREAKING IMBECILE!!!!!! There. I feel better. Tim Miles took over one of the most down trodden basketball schools in major college D-1 basketball. He took us to a top tier finish in the B1G and the NCAA tourney in his second season with a bunch of players from the ISLAND OF MISFIT TOYS. NOW, after what he did last year we have what appears to be a pretty darned good recruiting class coming in. We've got one young big that looks like he may grown in to a B1G legit big man. We are more than likely going to be playing 4 new guys a lot of minutes next year but to expect a miraculous turn around would be foolish at best. Its going to take them half the year to figure out how to play together.

We hired one of the brightest, most personable and hardest working guys climbing the ranks of college coaching. IF you are the guy out there even remotely hinting that Miles should be on the hot seat anytime in the next several years, YOU'RE A FREAKING IMBECILE. That felt even better the second time. Taking a doormat to being a consistent tourney team in the B1G is not going to happen over night but Miles has built programs everywhere he has been. He'll do it at NU but it is going to take time to build a winning tradition at NU.

Sure it's crazy to suggest that we should fire Miles. That said I also don't think they should be let off the hook. Miles came into the season with what should have been (on paper) the best Nebraska bball team in a very long time if not ever. The lack of confidence and cohesion across the board on the team comes from somewhere, no? If we want to be a big time program that comes with big time expectations, not free passes for performing drastically under the level you've shown you can reach.

I also don't want to see any free passes given out for next years team already based off of having new players together. First off, Andrew White has been here practicing with the team already. Secondly you look at a team like Kentucky who basically recycles their whole team on a yearly basis. Sure we don't bring in that kind of talent, but it shows that you don't have to have played together a long time to necessarily have a good team. If so shouldn't we not suck this year?

EDIT: corrected "hire to fire" in first sentence.
This post was edited on 2/22 10:24 PM by puddinhead0404

Originally posted by puddinhead0404:
Sure it's crazy to suggest that we should hire Miles. That said I also don't think they should be let off the hook. Miles came into the season with what should have been (on paper) the best Nebraska bball team in a very long time if not ever. The lack of confidence and cohesion across the board on the team comes from somewhere, no? If we want to be a big time program that comes with big time expectations, not free passes for performing drastically under the level you've shown you can reach.

I also don't want to see any free passes given out for next years team already based off of having new players together. First off, Andrew White has been here practicing with the team already. Secondly you look at a team like Kentucky who basically recycles their whole team on a yearly basis. Sure we don't bring in that kind of talent, but it shows that you don't have to have played together a long time to necessarily have a good team. If so shouldn't we not suck this year?
Miles overachieved last year, which makes his underachieving this year look that much worse. Who is giving free passes for next year? There is going to be an immediate upgrade in talent. And is it your position that 5 of the best highschool players in the Country can come together on one team and be good? Wowzah!!!!!!!!! That's breaking news stuff right there.

The team as a whole played well last year, I don't believe in overachieving which by the very words means you play better than you are capable. I think the role players played well and teams didn't take the Huskers seriously last year. No reason to.

I'm not going to fire Miles, I'm not going to talk about firing Miles, I'm not even going to think about firing Miles. I don't believe any sensible person thinks he will be fired. He should not be fired. But this is a dreadful basketball team and as the head coach and CEO of Nebrasketball, he's ultimately responsible for it. I don't know if he can fix it, but he's clearly going to get the chance.

Sure it's crazy to suggest that we should hire Miles. That said I also don't think they should be let off the hook. Miles came into the season with what should have been (on paper) the best Nebraska bball team in a very long time if not ever. The lack of confidence and cohesion across the board on the team comes from somewhere, no? If we want to be a big time program that comes with big time expectations, not free passes for performing drastically under the level you've shown you can reach.

Are you nuts? This should have been the best basketball team ever at NU????? Really? Why? Better than Strickland, Piatkowski and the rest of that team? A team with multiple guys that played multiple years in the NBA and still missed the NCAA the year they won the NIT? You lost all credibility right there. Kentucky brings in top 10 recruiting classes. We don't have the basketball tradition that Kentucky has had. When we start getting the kind of talent (3 or 4 one and dones) that Kentucky has gotten, we can start expecting them to come in an play well together their first year in the program. Until that happens we had better get used to building a team full of 3rd, 4th and 5th year players. For heaven's sake even LeBron and his latest all-star team struggled through most of the first half of their season. Kentucky can overwhelm people with their talent. You want to be a big-time program? You had better have patience because Tim Miles is the best basketball coach NU has had that I've seen and I've seen them all back to Joe Cipriano. Miles is trying to patchwork a team together and what he did last year with what he had to work with was amazing. Tim will get players to NU and we will be competitive but get your expectations and time table back to reality.

This post was edited on 2/22 9:17 PM by dinglefritz

This post was edited on 2/22 9:20 PM by dinglefritz

I promise to only seek a new coach if he decides to play a two-time all american/top 10 draft pick out of his natural position.

last year was a fluke but we were able to get press and potential decent players for next year because of it...Next two years will be important for Miles if he wants to stay longer but there is no reason to even bring up a change now

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

Are you nuts? This should have been the best basketball team ever at NU????? Really? Why? Better than Strickland, Piatkowski and the rest of that team? A team with multiple guys that played multiple years in the NBA and still missed the NCAA the year they won the NIT? You lost all credibility right there. Kentucky brings in top 10 recruiting classes. We don't have the basketball tradition that Kentucky has had. When we start getting the kind of talent (3 or 4 one and dones) that Kentucky has gotten, we can start expecting them to come in an play well together their first year in the program. Until that happens we had better get used to building a team full of 3rd, 4th and 5th year players. For heaven's sake even LeBron and his latest all-star team struggled through most of the first half of their season. Kentucky can overwhelm people with their talent. You want to be a big-time program? You had better have patience because Tim Miles is the best basketball coach NU has had that I've seen and I've seen them all back to Joe Cipriano. Miles is trying to patchwork a team together and what he did last year with what he had to work with was amazing. Tim will get players to NU and we will be competitive but get your expectations and time table back to reality.

Fine forgive me if my knowledge of NU bball when I was a toddler is limited. So we'll just say it's on paper the best team of the past 20 years, and go from there. Any arguments? Rest of the post stands, I'm not giving a free pass next year when for the most part the core of the team is probably still here.

Fired? Yea that would be crazy but he needs to point

more of the thumb than the finger. He threw the team under the bus tonight. To talk recruiting in this situation is to tell your players they aren't good enough to win. How do you get them to play hard for you NOW?

Re: Fired? Yea that would be crazy but he needs to point

I listened to the press conference. Miles spoke the truth, and these guys either need to decide they want to compete a little more or move on. The new guys coming in are going to push them and probably take minutes from them. Put up or shut up time for much of the current roster.

Re: Fired? Yea that would be crazy but he needs to point

Originally posted by Huskers_Rule:
more of the thumb than the finger. He threw the team under the bus tonight. To talk recruiting in this situation is to tell your players they aren't good enough to win. How do you get them to play hard for you NOW?
I like Miles and think he will turn us into a consistent winner. But I agree with the above. Miles needs to take his lumps in the press and do what he needs to do with the players behind the scene. It is never good form to throw your kids under the bus.

Bullshit. why cant you throw the players under the bus? Why? Cuz youll hurt their little feewings?! Bullshit. Hold those kids accountable for quitting. There are plenty of kids who would give their all to play div 1 ball in the big ten. Playing D1 ball is a privilege, not a right.....

He's not on the hot seat, but I am kinda glad now that Eichorst did not give him a raise & extension. Another year like this, and that big shiny arena will have a lot of empty seats.

I never expected this team to win the Big Ten or anything, but the lack of improvement throughout the season is the most disappointing thing. Many of the players seem to be regressing. I also question whether some of the guys really respect Coach Miles.

Originally posted by rowdy roddy piper:
Bullshit. why cant you throw the players under the bus? Why? Cuz youll hurt their little feewings?! Bullshit. Hold those kids accountable for quitting. There are plenty of kids who would give their all to play div 1 ball in the big ten. Playing D1 ball is a privilege, not a right.....
Because it ignores his role in the debacle. If this would have happened on the football side last year, I imagine your response would have been different.

I really wonder if there is some sort of rift between the players, a cancer on the team(no i am not pointing at Petteway) or something else. This team just doesn't look like a team that gets along well for some reason. Something seems off with team chemistry.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Other programs are used to success and kids expect attention and adoration. But to go from basically an anonymous student athlete at UNL to rock star over the course of a few months is just a challenge. In other words, when you find out how cool it is to get laid all the time, it can be a distraction!

I just want them to go out and compete and play with pride the rest of the way.

IMO Miles need to skip some of his good vibes press interviews and stick to his knitting. He wouldn't be the first coach to over-extend himself and lose his edge.

Originally posted by Lincoln100:

Miles overachieved last year, which makes his underachieving this year look that much worse. Who is giving free passes for next year? There is going to be an immediate upgrade in talent. And is it your position that 5 of the best highschool players in the Country can come together on one team and be good? Wowzah!!!!!!!!! That's breaking news stuff right there.
So...just to make sure I have all of this down...
Last year--->Overachieved
This year--->Underachieved

Who knew the explanation was so simple. Thank you so much for your input. That fully explains why a team that is missing just a spotty 3-point shooter from last year's NCAA team has completely flatlined this year. For a moment I had incorrectly surmised the coaches may have just done a poor job this year.
tired.r191677.gif

Fine forgive me if my knowledge of NU bball when I was a toddler is limited. So we'll just say it's on paper the best team of the past 20 years, and go from there. Any arguments? Rest of the post stands, I'm not giving a free pass next year when for the most part the core of the team is probably still here.
You're forgiven. As far as being the best team on paper goes, its kind of like saying an apple full of worms is better than an apple that is 3/4 rotten. We've got one guy that MIGHT get a look by the NBA right now. One guy and he's a volume shooter that turns the ball over a bunch. I like Petteway. He was a huge part of our run last year but he's not a guy you want to build your offense around IMO. OFFENSE and guys that can make an open shot are our problems. The D is fine for the most part. The goal of an offense is to get guys open shots and then make them. We've got guys getting open shots. Miles can't make guys make shots and he's made the only move he had from the bench to try to get more scoring in the game. The problem is that its WAY too easy for a D to find that one guy that can make a shot and prevent him from getting an easy look. We have the deadly combo of NO inside post offense and NO perimeter shooting and that is Miles' fault only in that he missed on a guy or two in his first class. One of them last year that could put the ball in the hole left. He had other issues. IMO its going to take a couple of years for the guys he has in the pipe to fix our problems. I think we'll be better next year, but its a stretch to expect that we should be an NCAA team. NU's team last year was full of holes and we won games that we probably shouldn't have. This year it just flipped. That's basketball.

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

What about Larry Eustachy?
Great coach. Given what we just went through with Bo, I don't think anybody on the BOR or in the Administration including Tom would have had any stomach for the risk that is Eustachy. CSU is the perfect place for him. He can go drink and smoke pot with co-eds and nobody would look twice out there. Miles was and is a great hire. He'll get us there.

I'm thinking the '91 teams has to be considered the best. They were a three seed in the NCAA. That has to be better than winning the NIT. Frankly I'm partial to the early 80's. I don't think there has been a better combo than Jack Moore and Andre Smith. (Smith was league MVP...have we had anyone else get voted that?)

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:

I'm thinking the '91 teams has to be considered the best. They were a three seed in the NCAA. That has to be better than winning the NIT. Frankly I'm partial to the early 80's. I don't think there has been a better combo than Jack Moore and Andre Smith. (Smith was league MVP...have we had anyone else get voted that?)
I agree completely. My point was that NU had a team with multiple NBA players on it that missed getting in the NCAA. I just framed my argument poorly and frankly my brain is a little foggy as to what year and which guys were on which team. We had some great players that's why the "best team ever" comment made me explode. None of the guys on this current team compare well to some of those guys. I watched Jack and Andre beat undefeated #1 Mizzou with Sundvold, Frazier and Stipanovich that year in Columbia. I had to be the only guy in the stands in red. Andre had a helluva game that night but at 6-7 as our center we had some problems most games.

Its all 3. Miles hasn't pushed the right buttons this year, the players have under achieved, and its absolutely ludicrous to discuss firing Miles right now. Just dumb.

I agree completely. My point was that NU had a team with multiple NBA players on it that missed getting in the NCAA. I just framed my argument poorly and frankly my brain is a little foggy as to what year and which guys were on which team. We had some great players that's why the "best team ever" comment made me explode. None of the guys on this current team compare well to some of those guys. I watched Jack and Andre beat undefeated #1 Mizzou with Sundvold, Frazier and Stipanovich that year in Columbia. I had to be the only guy in the stands in red. Andre had a helluva game that night but at 6-7 as our center we had some problems most games.
First, very, very, very awesome that you were in Columbia that night. Without question in my mind you saw the greatest game in Husker history. I remember pacing around my dining room listening to Pavelka on the radio. He was getting beer poured all over him but was going absolutely bananas. His call at the end rivals Bremser's call of Johnny's Game of the Century punt return.

I disagree on Andre, however. Yeah he was only 6'7" but was a complete hoss on the inside. His lower body strength gave big guys fits. I know Hoppen got a lot of accolades following Smith but I always thought Andre was the better player.

Not questioning that you were at the game as obviously it has been a long time - but Andre Smith was not on the team that beat Missouri in Columbia that year. He graduated the year before. Jack Moore was a senior that year. Our starting center that season was 6-6 Lenard Johnson (6-6 Terry Smith also played alot).

I do agree with pretty much everything else that you said in this thread. We have had numerous teams that were much more talented "on paper" than the team we have this year. People are so influenced by the incredible run we went on last year - winning several games we really had no business winning. Unfortunately I think some of our players bought into the hype also. Confidence and momentum are powerful forces. For a period of time last year we had them both very strongly on our side. This season has been the exact opposite in that regard. Overall the program is headed the right direction with Miles. While few remember how good we actually were for a time in the early-mid 90's - few also appreciate how bad this program was when Miles arrived.

It remains very concerning the lack of offense on this team this season. This team has long spells each game that lead to big runs for the opposing team. Seems like NU draws few fouls and commits more fouls than most teams. Wish the answers were easy for Miles but he seems as unsure as most of the fan base at this point. My chief concern remains the new players coming up in the system. Miles will need White, Morrow, and Watson to produce for this team to turn the corner

Miles is in his 3rd year, and it has been a monumental disappointment. He shouldn't be in any hot seat lists...yet, but if we start out next year looking anything like this team, his seat will rightfully heat up very quickly.

Great coach. Given what we just went through with Bo, I don't think anybody on the BOR or in the Administration including Tom would have had any stomach for the risk that is Eustachy. CSU is the perfect place for him. He can go drink and smoke pot with co-eds and nobody would look twice out there. Miles was and is a great hire. He'll get us there.
Coming from an opposing fan I will say that I like Miles and think he is a really good coach. NU will probably never have a ceiling like MSU, UM, OSU or even Wisco (at least todays Wisco) but there is no reason I see that he can't get them into that middle to high middle pack of the BIG (some seasons slightly over achieving and other seasons under achieving). I wouldn't look to get rid of him anytime soon and if you do Iowa would certainly take him as a recruiting coordinator for the BB team.

More importantly how does one get said CSU job above...it sounds really really fun.

Originally posted by unIowa:

Coming from an opposing fan I will say that I like Miles and think he is a really good coach. NU will probably never have a ceiling like MSU, UM, OSU or even Wisco (at least todays Wisco) but there is no reason I see that he can't get them into that middle to high middle pack of the BIG (some seasons slightly over achieving and other seasons under achieving). I wouldn't look to get rid of him anytime soon and if you do Iowa would certainly take him as a recruiting coordinator for the BB team.

More importantly how does one get said CSU job above...it sounds really really fun.
lol

Originally posted by HuskerBB:

Not questioning that you were at the game as obviously it has been a long time - but Andre Smith was not on the team that beat Missouri in Columbia that year. He graduated the year before. Jack Moore was a senior that year. Our starting center that season was 6-6 Lenard Johnson (6-6 Terry Smith also played alot).

I do agree with pretty much everything else that you said in this thread. We have had numerous teams that were much more talented "on paper" than the team we have this year. People are so influenced by the incredible run we went on last year - winning several games we really had no business winning. Unfortunately I think some of our players bought into the hype also. Confidence and momentum are powerful forces. For a period of time last year we had them both very strongly on our side. This season has been the exact opposite in that regard. Overall the program is headed the right direction with Miles. While few remember how good we actually were for a time in the early-mid 90's - few also appreciate how bad this program was when Miles arrived.
I most certainly was at that game but man I could have swore Andre Smith played in it. According to Huskers.com you are correct. I must have had too many beers at Bullwinkles before the game. We were terribly undersized but Moore and whoever the hell our centers were had monster games though. Could of sworn Andre Smith was waving bye bye to free throws there. Dang.
laugh.r191677.gif
Only games I went to when I was at Mizzou were Husker football and that one bball game.

This post was edited on 2/23 6:56 PM by dinglefritz

Eustachy has been clean for several years now and should be given credit for doing so.
Lot of good Husker teams in the past that are far better than what we have this year.
It must be killing White to sit on the bench unable to do anything to help out.

Wonder if Miles has consulted with Riley on the proper intricacies of recruiting to the state of Nebraska? Winking

ADVERTISEMENT