ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin

It’s faulty logic at best. He’s trying to extrapolate results based on the past without considering any details. Wisconsin appears to have a great team this year. Expecting us to be able to beat what looks like a legit top 10 team when are coming off a 4-8 season and are going to struggle to be a top 25 team is absurd. And struggle to be top 25 is kind.

I'm not extrapolating anything .. I am simply echoing the exact thoughts and logic of our head coach ... the logic that you consider “absurd” is Frost’s

“We’ll be competing for our side” — meaning the West Division of the Big Ten Conference — “in Year 2,” Frost said. “I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.”

“I have some optimism because they had an awful culture,” he said. “They weren’t strong. They weren’t in shape. The schemes were bad last year and they still went into the fourth quarter tied with Wisconsin. They should’ve won two or three more games.

I assume the culture, strength, fitness and schemes have been cleaned up

Last edited:
I remember when people here were outraged that SE might hire him. Can you imagine where we'd be if he had pulled the trigger on Chryst instead of Smiling Mike?

I’d definitely take him over Mike “the worst college football coach ever” Riley.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Don’t see Iowa :rolleyes: in the same category as tOSU and Wisky..
I don't think we have much of a chance against OSU or Whisky. At this point, I just want to be competitive against them. We should beat the balance of mediocre teams on our schedule and be a much better team by the time we play IA. 9 wins very possible.

Scott Frost..

“We’ll be competing for our side” — meaning the West Division of the Big Ten Conference — “in Year 2,” Frost said. “I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.”

“I have some optimism because they had an awful culture,” he said. “They weren’t strong. They weren’t in shape. The schemes were bad last year and they still went into the fourth quarter tied with Wisconsin."

I won’t lie, I’m jealous of this offense. One day, kids will wake up and start going to these schools that run pro sets. Iowa had 2 TE go in first round. OL, there’s no better place to go than these schools. You come into the NFL ready.

I wish Frost would implement more I-Form under center. I can tell they practice it because you see a few plays under Center this year where none were found last year

This is a clinic. They even ran a reverse option pitch

I won’t lie, I’m jealous of this offense. One day, kids will wake up and start going to these schools that run pro sets. Iowa had 2 TE go in first round. OL, there’s no better place to go than these schools. You come into the NFL ready.

I wish Frost would implement more I-Form under center. I can tell they practice it because you see a few plays under Center this year where none were found last year

NFL teams are moving away from pro style offense. Even college teams like LSU and Alabama have moved on from it. I think that’s part of what works for Wisconsin. They aren’t doing what everyone else does. They play their own style, recruit traditional TE, QB and FB and develop OL. It was harder for them to do those things when everyone else was running a similar system.

You haven't been watching the NFL have you? Most teams are running spread/shotgun sets because the game is so paddy cake. I agree that Wisky is very good against small or inexperienced fronts but I wouldn't be surprised one bit for our game to be very low scoring. And they still have stupid play calling at times where they throw too much.

Reactions: TheNewNU
NFL teams are moving away from pro style offense. Even college teams like LSU and Alabama have moved on from it. I think that’s part of what works for Wisconsin. They aren’t doing what everyone else does. They play there own style, recruit traditional TE, QB and FB and develop OL. It was harder for them to do those things when everyone else was running a similar system.

Some nfl teams are. But as LBs become DBs the prostyle will come back.

But I also agree with you to an extent

You haven't been watching the NFL have you? Most teams are running spread/shotgun sets because the game is so paddy cake. I agree that Wisky is very good against small or inexperienced fronts but I wouldn't be surprised one bit for our game to be very low scoring. And they still have stupid play calling at times where they throw too much.

I watch a lot of NFL. And most teams run pro style sets still, albeit not as much as 15 years ago. And when I say they run it I don’t mean exclusively

Some nfl teams are. But as LBs become DBs the prostyle will come back.

But I also agree with you to an extent
What's old becomes new again. I can see it happening that way.

NFL teams are moving away from pro style offense. Even college teams like LSU and Alabama have moved on from it. I think that’s part of what works for Wisconsin. They aren’t doing what everyone else does. They play their own style, recruit traditional TE, QB and FB and develop OL. It was harder for them to do those things when everyone else was running a similar system.

The best teams have big and fast defenses and Wisky can't win two in the playoffs to win a championship when they use so little of the field. They have such a small margin for error when they face high-powered offenses that can also play defense because it might take them 8 minutes to score 7, and it might take Bama 8 minutes to score 17. It is also really hard for them to get an explosive qb and wr to play in such as offense because they might run the ball 90% of the time. They've been stuck with a lack of qb and wr depth which hurts them in the biggest games where they rely on throwing through the air.

Couple years yet for us to be ready to compete, I think..Wisconsin is successful because of the culture and talent on their lines. We’ll get there.

Iowa will be tough as they have a good defense, good offensive line and will just wait for us to make mistakes. If we play clean, it is winnable. Wisconsin and Ohio State would take some major mistakes on their parts for us to win..

Reactions: TFrazier
Iowa will be tough as they have a good defense, good offensive line and will just wait for us to make mistakes. If we play clean, it is winnable. Wisconsin and Ohio State would take some major mistakes on their parts for us to win..

Let’s see what Herky does is against Michigan first...

Don't know if our front is as good as you think. We were getting pushed around by South Alabama at times. If Colorado wasn't enough, I think we're going to get exposed against teams like Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Scott Frost..

“I have some optimism because they had an awful culture,” he said. “They weren’t strong. They weren’t in shape. The schemes were bad last year and they still went into the fourth quarter tied with Wisconsin."

I am not going to base my expectations on some bluster from our coach, he has been humbled since then, that was certainly necessary. That being said we match up really well vs. Wisky. Our strength is their strength and they have a history of giving up big plays. As dominant as they are running the ball they still have the flaccid qb and we have dbs to handle their Wrs 1 on 1. I think they are favorites but it will be a competition.

Reactions: c3o
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT