ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin to end the season?

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
Wondering if the schedule makers will ever entertain moving Wisconsin to our last game of the year? Not trying to poke at our friends to the east of us, but from both a historical (and somewhat current) perspective, our 2 teams seem to be the best chance for a true rivalry game for us. Nothing will compare to the old NU - OU days, but I believe the Badgers hold the best promise for that end of year tilt that could decide the West Division. I see where in 2019 they are moved to the third to the last game on our schedule, so it's moving that way maybe?

Why not NU and OU? Sign a long term OOC series agreement, like Florida-Florida St. and Notre Dame-USC. OU and Texas played for years as OOC opponents prior to the formation of the Big 12. It will never happen, but a man can dream.

Reactions: sparky62
Would agree from our standpoint, it would be a better game for the last one. If I'm a Wisconsin fan, I may think different. We always throw it in iowa's face that in order for it to be a rivalry, they have to win more than once in awhile. Since joining the B1G, we have had the most embarrassment at the hands of the Badgers. Been out scored 177-72 in the three losses and squeaked out a 3 point win at home in the lone victory. Not much of a rivalry from their side of the field!

The Huskers better build a deeper team at the point of attack and in the front 7 on defense if they want to play teams like Wisconsin in November.

There is a direct correlation between Pelini's teams getting their asses kicked in late season games and the lack of depth up front.

It should also be noted the one win over Wisconsin came in early October. The Badgers, Minnesota, and even Iowa to some extent were built to hold up throughout the Big Ten season.

Nebraska, under Pelini, was not. Here are some bizarre examples from the last few years:

Spencer Long tears an ACL. He's replaced by Mike Moudy, who is a 4th year player and has never played a snap.

Thad Randle, undersized in his own right, goes down. Baker goes down as well. Cameron Meredith is forced inside.

Greg McMullen in 2014 is asked to play almost 93% of the snaps. Vs. Big Ten competition. By the Minnesota and Iowa games, he is a shell of himself from earlier in the season.

Why not NU and OU? Sign a long term OOC series agreement, like Florida-Florida St. and Notre Dame-USC. OU and Texas played for years as OOC opponents prior to the formation of the Big 12. It will never happen, but a man can dream.
IMO playing OU every year would be fantastic, but that probably won't happen till texass is out of the way. The only thing that will make that happen is when the B12 dissolves.

I plan on making a trip or two to Madison in the future, Loved the trip in 2011 dispite the results...
A game at the end of the season on Black Friday doesn't interest me.Keep it the way it is with Iowa.

I think it's reasonable to say that we care a helluva lot more about our old rivalry with OU, than they care about us. Pretty sure we've been in their rearview mirror for a while.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Would agree from our standpoint, it would be a better game for the last one. If I'm a Wisconsin fan, I may think different. We always throw it in iowa's face that in order for it to be a rivalry, they have to win more than once in awhile. Since joining the B1G, we have had the most embarrassment at the hands of the Badgers. Been out scored 177-72 in the three losses and squeaked out a 3 point win at home in the lone victory. Not much of a rivalry from their side of the field!

Agree. Wisconsin more than any other team exposed Pelini as a incompetent fraud.

Just my opinion. While we fire coaches, Wisconsin coaches leave on their own accord. Bielema and Andersen both left. Bielema left for Arkansas. Arkansas. Arkansas? Andersen walked out the door. Now Paul Chryst, will he be any good? If he's good, will he stay?

I have a hard time seeing Wisconsin sustaining their current success into the future.

I would like to play them in September every year, the BIG needs to move a couple of conference games to September like the SEC does

I know that last year's coach abandoned them and they just lost their stud RB recruit, but I think ending their season already is a complete overreaction. Suck it up Badgers!

The Badgers as our rival? Really?
Look, I know we've fallen pretty far and they have been strong recently, but let's aim higher than that.

If you look at the east division they have the annual Michigan - Ohio State grudge match. I realize we can't even sniff at a matchup of that magnitude as far as B1G impact. So we need to begin to develop something going forward that looks to settle the division at the end of the season. If we all believe that we'll be relevant most every year (a belief I have by the way), Then when you go over all the teams in our division I have to say Wisky looks the part. Can't believe Minnesota is ever going to be for real consistently, Iowa maybe if they ever turn the corner again but history says otherwise. The others? Please. I say we politic to begin that as our annual marquee match.

The Badgers as our rival? Really?
Look, I know we've fallen pretty far and they have been strong recently, but let's aim higher than that.

we have a long way to go before we are on par with Wisconsin at the present time .... how about we play well enough so when someone suggests that we become Wisconsin's rival Wisconsin fan doesn't break out laughing ...

very similar to how we felt when Colorado or KSU decided Nebraska was their rival

If the B1G had a brain they'd put PSU in our "division" and match us up for their second November money game. However, I don't imagine they'll reverse course on hitching us to Iowa and hoping that game will somehow be relevant. What the heyll did they want NU for if not to sell a football game? I think they've forgotten in pursuit of their next conquest.

Team that makes the most sense: Wisconsin
Team that would be the smartest play by the B1G: Penn State
Team that would generate the most buzz on a yearly basis: Texas

If the B1G had a brain they'd put PSU in our "division" and match us up for their second November money game. However, I don't imagine they'll reverse course on hitching us to Iowa and hoping that game will somehow be relevant. What the heyll did they want NU for if not to sell a football game? I think they've forgotten in pursuit of their next conquest.

Who would be able to go to Happy Valley during Thanskgiving or Penn St fans traveling to Lincoln.

All the games at the end of the season are close in locations for every one to travel.

Who would be able to go to Happy Valley during Thanskgiving or Penn St fans traveling to Lincoln.

All the games at the end of the season are close in locations for every one to travel.

Bingo we have a winner.

we have a long way to go before we are on par with Wisconsin at the present time .... how about we play well enough so when someone suggests that we become Wisconsin's rival Wisconsin fan doesn't break out laughing ...

very similar to how we felt when Colorado or KSU decided Nebraska was their rival

Michigan doesn't say " we have a long way to go before we are on par with Ohio State " so let's not play them until we play well enough. There are times when one or the other are dominate but it averages out over time and THEY ARE THE BELL WEATHER TEAMS IN THAT DIVISION! I believe Wisconsin and Nebraska are historically the two strongest teams in the West Division and should occupy the marquee match at the end of the schedule just as Ohio State and Michigan do, regardless of which team is currrently stronger ... period.

Michigan doesn't say " we have a long way to go before we are on par with Ohio State " so let's not play them until we play well enough. There are times when one or the other are dominate but it averages out over time and THEY ARE THE BELL WEATHER TEAMS IN THAT DIVISION! I believe Wisconsin and Nebraska are historically the two strongest teams in the West Division and should occupy the marquee match at the end of the schedule just as Ohio State and Michigan do, regardless of which team is currrently stronger ... period.

go back and read my post ... i was replying to kchu5ker555 who implied the Wisconsin wasn't worthy of being OUR rival when in fact they have been the better team in recent times ... I would be more than happy to replace Iowa with Wisconsin ... my point is that I'm not sure Wisconsin would consider us a rival at this point

with regard to your Michigan - tOSU comparison they do have a bit of a history - like 80 years - that fuels that rivalry

Is that more important than the best possible matchup and rivalry? Both NU and PSU can easily fill their stadiums with a home crowd. I've never "travelled" to a Nebraska road game, and we exclusively watched the Oklahoma and Colorado games on TV for decades. Besides, that time of year we're at grandma's house for Thanksgiving, which is mandatory.

I've never "travelled" to a Nebraska road game, and we exclusively watched the Oklahoma and Colorado games on TV for decades

There lies the problem.... You don't go to away games, a lot of us do including myself...

Let's just keep the game with Iowa.

I have a feeling they will turn out to be just like the Colorado fans in the near future. Well except for the Iowa wins.

Maybe a lot of us do, but I'd bet most of us don't. If we're really stuck with "road trippable" games as our marquee matchup, then being a "regional" program competing with Minn, Iowa or Wisc is going to be the lower standard we ultimately hold ourselves to.

just and fyi with Iowa .. its 3-1 in favor of Neb .. but IOwa totally had the game last year .so it really should be 2- 2

just and fyi with Iowa .. its 3-1 in favor of Neb .. but IOwa totally had the game last year .so it really should be 2- 2

In that case, Nebraska really should have at least two more national championships because the totally had Florida State beat during the 1993 season and should've gone for the tie against Miami during the 1983 season. Just fyi....

I really don't see what the fuss is about. We have a conference championship game to determine the conference winner. We have a decent (if not way better) shot at playing in the CCG every year. Until Wiscy relaxes their admission standards, Minn/Iowa can start recruiting better, it leaves us to bring in the most talent. We need to just take care of our business during the regular season, and not concern ourselves with these B1G trophy/rivalry games. Just another opponent we need to beat, a stepping stone to something better.

I really don't see what the fuss is about. We have a conference championship game to determine the conference winner. We have a decent (if not way better) shot at playing in the CCG every year. Until Wiscy relaxes their admission standards, Minn/Iowa can start recruiting better, it leaves us to bring in the most talent. We need to just take care of our business during the regular season, and not concern ourselves with these B1G trophy/rivalry games. Just another opponent we need to beat, a stepping stone to something better.
No fuss ... just a preference. I yearn for the time when the day after Thanksgiving meant something big. I know it used to be the big 2 little 6 and that day would determine the Big 8 champ and that time has past. Now that we have a 7 team Division I'd like to recapture a little bit of that time and make that game "the biggie" so to speak to determine who goes to the B1G Championship. I fully realize there would be bigger games then yet to play that year, and that we haven't performed at that level for awhile now. But I still yearn and dream for those days to return ... we all do. Black Friday meaning something big (just like what used to happen in the now Eastern Division) sets up a bit of symmetry in our Conference and would kind of pit blue blood type programs (albeit not perfectly) to battle away for some of the marbles. From what we have to work with in our Division, I just believe Wisconsin is our best shot at creating a long standing rivalry that means something big at the end of the regular season. Peace.

In order for the Iowa/Nebraska game to really develop the cache value it has the potential to be there need to be a sustained period when the results of the game between two undefeated, or even one loss, teams determines the Big10 West outright champ. It will happen at some point.

In order for the Iowa/Nebraska game to really develop the cache value it has the potential to be there need to be a sustained period when the results of the game between two undefeated, or even one loss, teams determines the Big10 West outright champ. It will happen at some point.
I guess I agree that eventually an Iowa - Nebraska season ending game will be meaningful, however rare it may be. But once a decade won't feed a rivalry. IMHO, there is a much better chance of a Nebraska - Wisconsin tilt deciding the West.

ADVERTISEMENT