ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin QB transfer ??

He may not have retained the starting job and Mertz is likely more talented. But you never know how recruits are going to adjust from high school to college .. even 5*s. That is particularly true at QB where decision making becomes a much bigger part of the equation. There are going to be better athletes running more sophisticated schemes on defense than someone coming right out of high school has ever seen. Until you face live division 1 action - you don’t know.

Hornibrook has helped win 32 games in 3 years. He would have been an asset either as an initial starter serving as a bridge or in the event of an injury - which happens.

I know I shudder when we automatically just assume we are going to plug in a freshman or JUCO who has never played power 5 football and everything is going to be fine

Last edited:
He may not have retained the starting job and Mertz is likely more talented. But you never know how recruits are going to adjust from high school to college .. even 5*s. That is particularly true at QB where decision making becomes a much bigger part of the equation. There are going to be better athletes running more sophisticated schemes on defense than someone coming right out of high school has every seen. Until you face live division 1 action - you don’t know.

Hornibrook has helped win 32 games in 3 years. He would have been an asset either as an initial starter serving as a bridge or in the event of an injury - which happens.

It’s difficult to just replace a 3 year starter at QB of all positions and not jave some bumps along the way. I personally think Mertz will turn out very good but he’ll definitely have some learning to do. AM’s biggest problem last season IMO was his lack of experience. Regardless of how talented he is, he had to learn the hard way.

Say whatever you will, this doesn’t make Wisconsin better next year. This is not a case of addition by subtraction.

Best case for Wisconsin is that it doesnt matter because Mertz steps in, stays healthy, and the true freshman plays better than a returning 3 year starter who won the vast majority of his games. But anything short of that, and this hurts.

I have a relative who has watched Mertz play every game his junior and senior year and what he told me was hard to believe until you saw him play in person.

Mertz probably will not have the effect on Wisconsin that Martinez had on Nebraska in his first year but I believe Mertz will be a top 5 quarterback taken in the NFL when he does decide to go pro.

I have no problem giving players their due no matter what team they play on; but understand this, all the other teams that have been beating up on Nebraska better have enjoyed their run because their time is over!

I'm not sold on all the hype about Mertz, but Hornibrook has been one of the worst starting qb's in division I for a couple years now. They probably wouldn't miss much if he left.

I have a relative who has watched Mertz play every game his junior and senior year and what he told me was hard to believe until you saw him play in person.

Mertz probably will not have the effect on Wisconsin that Martinez had on Nebraska in his first year but I believe Mertz will be a top 5 quarterback taken in the NFL when he does decide to go pro.

I have no problem giving players their due no matter what team they play on; but understand this, all the other teams that have been beating up on Nebraska better have enjoyed their run because their time is over!

I have seen Mertz play. He's the best HS QB I've ever seen. He looks like Aaron Rogers.

There are some QBs who are sure fire and pan out - Tua, Kelly, etc. but there are certainly some who need developing, don’t evolve or get hurt. I think predicting a top 5 NFL QB for an 18 year old is a stretch.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Losing a three year starter who has won a bunch of games and then thinking a true freshman is an upgrade is just not logical. I look at this as some cracks starting to appear in the Wisconsin family, why leave and why leave when you would most likely be the starter - its an indication of some internal issues imo

Hornibrook was so weak. His OLine made him look decent. Wisconsin depended on their run game and their dominate OLine over each of his past 3 seasons.

I don’t expect to hear anything about Hornibrook next season. I think his best bet is to transfer to a non-power 5 or go FCS/D1-AA

Hornibrook was so weak. His OLine made him look decent. Wisconsin depended on their run game and their dominate OLine over each of his past 3 seasons.

I don’t expect to hear anything about Hornibrook next season. I think his best bet is to transfer to a non-power 5 or go FCS/D1-AA
Scroll up 3 posts. He’s headed to FSU.

Losing a three year starter who has won a bunch of games and then thinking a true freshman is an upgrade is just not logical. I look at this as some cracks starting to appear in the Wisconsin family, why leave and why leave when you would most likely be the starter - its an indication of some internal issues imo
You desperate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT