ADVERTISEMENT

winter conditioning stories

Hopefully we get back to bigger, faster, stronger. We need to get back to keeping the speed as we strengthen them up. Coop is a prime example of our program. Lost any ounce of speed he had.

I hope Coach Riley hasn't lost the bubble on feeding the beast 24/7/365. Recruiting is over and the staff is spending some well-deserved time buying houses and getting settled. They also need to decide what O and D to run and develop the playbooks, etc. However, I wish they could leak a few tidbits from winter conditioning to keep us going until spring ball.

McMullen was blowing them away. Had some amazing number reported for his vertical jump.
Considering how well he started out last year, I'm hoping for more of the same. He just disappeared at the end of the year, probably due to overwork.

Every year they're definitely going to win it all based on winter conditioning. Maybe I've just followed too closely for too long, but I'm sick to death of stories out of spring and summer about how some player who won't score 1 TD is such a "beast" and a "freak" in shorts and a helmet.

Originally posted by Cloud@Heart:
They are moving around well out there...... We really like what we are seeing.......

I couldn't help myself! Sorry.
Well played......

Be interested to see what MR's coach speak ends up being - you know there will be some. Hoping "moving around well" is retired forever.

They are moving around well out there...... We really like what we are seeing.......

Bazinga.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
Every year they're definitely going to win it all based on winter conditioning. Maybe I've just followed too closely for too long, but I'm sick to death of stories out of spring and summer about how some player who won't score 1 TD is such a "beast" and a "freak" in shorts and a helmet.
+1.... Kind of embarrassed of how much time over the years I wasted reading about the Thunder Collins' or Mason Wald's on the team.

Originally posted by jimbosc:

Well played......

Be interested to see what MR's coach speak ends up being - you know there will be some. Hoping "moving around well" is retired forever.
"Its kind of fun" or "It is going to be fun" As in "Its kind of fun getting to know all the guys, I encourage them to introduce themselves every time I see them" "Spring practice is going to be fun"

Then there is "quality" "Charleton is a quality person" "He is a quality young man".

Then there is "exciting" "I have some exciting stories about walk ons"

If you have been following it that long you know to take all the bigger/faster/stronger claims with a grain of salt until the fourth quarters of games in November. I always thought Dobson did pretty well with the conditioning part, which allowed NU to hang in and often come out on top in the fourth quarter. His teams seemed to be able to outlast teams. What I had a problem with was the strength part. We never seemed to have overpowering teams, even though on paper we should have been.

Agree with this 100%. But it is understandable. The local media know that NU fans want football news 24/7 and that feel good stories about unheard of "studs" who will soon emerge are ratings gold. They also know that they need to keep the offseason stories upbeat and light in order to preserve their good relations with the coaching staff. It is the same every year. Some kid on the scout team is going to be the next Tommie Frazier or Roger Craig or some redshirt freshman has suddenly emerged in spring ball as the second coming of Johnny Rodgers. You have to take it all with a grain of salt. But all that said ... I like the stories nevertheless. Sometimes it is not just all fluff and sometimes they really are reporting on an emerging star. And reading these stories in the offseason is sure a lot more enjoyable than watching NU hoops.

(sorry... I had to get that dig in)

yep, i think every sports writer has winter conditioning/spring workout/team chemistry/etc etc etc templates to fill out the empty periods throughout the year.

I'm personally more interested in seeing how some of our returning starters and redshirts are improving with strength and speed as compared to some unproven new guy stories!

Every winter kids are getting strong and fast. Every spring there are some real game changers coming up. And by the end of the summer we think that Nebraska is top 10 team, possibly top 5 with our schedule. It is the circle of the offseason. Nothing to discuss so the hype gets out of hand.

BTW, did you hear about this Stolenburg kid? Supposed to be the next Wistrom.

I know a lot of wasted time.

giphy.gif

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT