ADVERTISEMENT

Winners finish!! This is why we have a new coach

brooklyn99-jake-peralta.gif

That was one of the things I loved about T.O coached teams. They got stronger in the 4th quarter. They put the foot on the throats, didn't let up and didn't implode and beat themselves. Play smart, disciplined, error free football. I hope Rhule continues that 4th quarter success here. GBR!!

Last edited:
That obviously tells the story and it is pathetic for sure to lose so many close games like that. On the other hand I believe it does tell us that the problem has been more of a culture and coaching problem (specifically the lack of a finishing culture) than it has been a lack of player talent.

Reactions: ssmill777
And virtually all of the 23 were the result of some head scratching gaff by the coaching staff, poor clock management, insane play calling, or one player losing focus at the worst possibly time. For instance, 2021 Iowa. NU was ahead 21-6. With 21 seconds left in the 3rd Q Iowa kicked a FG. As I recall, NU ran the ball and got stuffed to finish the quarter. NU started the 4th Q with two pass plays taking 44 seconds off the clock. Then an Iowa player rushed the punter untouched and blocked the punt that was returned for a TD (21-16). After what looked like a promising drive Smothers fumbled at the IA 46. IA went 3 and out, but was in good shape for the punt, which Oliver Martin fair caught at the 7. Quite naturally at this critical junction you let your QB who is starting his first game sling it all over the field. Grounding in the EZ resulted in a safety and the air was sucked out of Memorial Stadium. Iowa finished with another FG to tie the game and scored the winning TD after two missed tackles resulted in an Iowa 55 yard run. Logan tried to bring the Cornhuskers back to go to overtime, but he was picked at the 3 yard line with 43 seconds left. That pick could have very well been due to the receiver not running the correct route, but I remember another receiver running wide open at the 30 Logan didn't see.

So there you have it: In one quarter there was a special teams gaff, a fumble, another special teams gaff (fair catching at the 7), moronic play calling in the shadow of our endzone, a costly penalty, key missed tackles, and an interception. Plus, when it counted Nebraska could not run the ball to burn clock.

And virtually all of the 23 were the result of some head scratching gaff by the coaching staff, poor clock management, insane play calling, or one player losing focus at the worst possibly time. For instance, 2021 Iowa. NU was ahead 21-6. With 21 seconds left in the 3rd Q Iowa kicked a FG. As I recall, NU ran the ball and got stuffed to finish the quarter. NU started the 4th Q with two pass plays taking 44 seconds off the clock. Then an Iowa player rushed the punter untouched and blocked the punt that was returned for a TD (21-16). After what looked like a promising drive Smothers fumbled at the IA 46. IA went 3 and out, but was in good shape for the punt, which Oliver Martin fair caught at the 7. Quite naturally at this critical junction you let your QB who is starting his first game sling it all over the field. Grounding in the EZ resulted in a safety and the air was sucked out of Memorial Stadium. Iowa finished with another FG to tie the game and scored the winning TD after two missed tackles resulted in an Iowa 55 yard run. Logan tried to bring the Cornhuskers back to go to overtime, but he was picked at the 3 yard line with 43 seconds left. That pick could have very well been due to the receiver not running the correct route, but I remember another receiver running wide open at the 30 Logan didn't see.

So there you have it: In one quarter there was a special teams gaff, a fumble, another special teams gaff (fair catching at the 7), moronic play calling in the shadow of our endzone, a costly penalty, key missed tackles, and an interception. Plus, when it counted Nebraska could not run the ball to burn clock.
I have selective amnesia the last 5 years. Way too many boneheaded plays that make you want to throw your remote into the T.V.. 😰

our former head coach should never again be allowed to set foot outside without hearing a raucous chorus of boos

every day for the rest of his life: "BOOOOOOOO!"

he is not and should never again be welcome in his home state

• Love
Reactions: ATX Husker
To be honest, if Rhule turns out to be who we think he is, we may very well be better than what everybody expects this year as there are there are quite a few starters that have been here through the shitshow that want to win very badly and if Rhule gets us over the hump, good things this year might be in store for DONU imo.

To be honest, if Rhule turns out to be who we think he is, we may very well be better than what everybody expects this year as there are there are quite a few starters that have been here through the shitshow that want to win very badly and if Rhule gets us over the hump, good things this year might be in store for DONU imo.
Agree completely and we'll find out this spring who can handle the work load and who can't.

Quick breakdown of the one score losses from the sporting news...

4th Qtr leads blown...
2022 Georgia Southern 45 NU 42, Nebraska led 42-38 with 41 seconds to go...
2022 NW 31 NU 28, Nebraska led 28-24 with 11:43 remaining...
2021 Iowa 28 NU 21, Nebraska led 21-18 With 7:27 remaining...
2021 Michigan 32 NU 29, Nebraska led 29-26 with 7:56 remaining...
2021 MSU 23 NU 20, Nebraska led 20-13 with 4:01 remaining...
2019 Purdue 31 NU 27, Nebraska led 27-24 with 1:14 remaining...
2019 Colorado 34 NU 31, Nebraska led 31-24 with 54 seconds left...
2018 NW 34 NU 31, Nebraska led 31-24 with 17 seconds remaining...
2018 Colorado 33 NU 28, Nebraska led 28-27 with 1:14 remaining...

Tied in the 4th...
2021 Wisconsin 35 NU 28, Nebraska never led, but the game was tied with 4:50 to play...
2019 Iowa 27 NU 24, Nebraska never led, but the game was tied with five seconds left.
2018 Iowa 31 NU 28, Nebraska never led, but the game was tied with three seconds left.

Had a lead in the 3rd...
2021 Purdue 28 NU 23, Nebraska led 17-14 with 5:46 remaining in the third quarter...
2020 Iowa 26 NU 20, Nebraska led 20-13 with 5:51 left in the third quarter...
2020 NW 21 NU 13, Nebraska led 13-7 with 9:59 left in the third quarter...
2019 Indiana 38 NU 31 Nebraska led 21-16 with 7:34 remaining in the third quarter...
2018 Ohio State 36 NU 31 Nebraska led 21-16 with 6:03 remaining in the third quarter...

Led in the 1st half
2021 Illini
2020 Minnesota

Never Led...
2021 Minnesota
2021 Oklahoma
2018 Troy

So you're implying there's something odd about an onside kick while holding an 11 point lead?

Quick breakdown of the one score losses from the sporting news...

4th Qtr leads blown...
2022 Georgia Southern 45 NU 42, Nebraska led 42-38 with 41 seconds to go...
2022 NW 31 NU 28, Nebraska led 28-24 with 11:43 remaining...
2021 Iowa 28 NU 21, Nebraska led 21-18 With 7:27 remaining...
2021 Michigan 32 NU 29, Nebraska led 29-26 with 7:56 remaining...
2021 MSU 23 NU 20, Nebraska led 20-13 with 4:01 remaining...
2019 Purdue 31 NU 27, Nebraska led 27-24 with 1:14 remaining...
2019 Colorado 34 NU 31, Nebraska led 31-24 with 54 seconds left...
2018 NW 34 NU 31, Nebraska led 31-24 with 17 seconds remaining...
2018 Colorado 33 NU 28, Nebraska led 28-27 with 1:14 remaining...

Tied in the 4th...
2021 Wisconsin 35 NU 28, Nebraska never led, but the game was tied with 4:50 to play...
2019 Iowa 27 NU 24, Nebraska never led, but the game was tied with five seconds left.
2018 Iowa 31 NU 28, Nebraska never led, but the game was tied with three seconds left.

Had a lead in the 3rd...
2021 Purdue 28 NU 23, Nebraska led 17-14 with 5:46 remaining in the third quarter...
2020 Iowa 26 NU 20, Nebraska led 20-13 with 5:51 left in the third quarter...
2020 NW 21 NU 13, Nebraska led 13-7 with 9:59 left in the third quarter...
2019 Indiana 38 NU 31 Nebraska led 21-16 with 7:34 remaining in the third quarter...
2018 Ohio State 36 NU 31 Nebraska led 21-16 with 6:03 remaining in the third quarter...

Led in the 1st half
2021 Illini
2020 Minnesota

Never Led...
2021 Minnesota
2021 Oklahoma
2018 Troy

Man too many heart brakes and what the Fvck are you kidding me moments the past 5 years..😩

Reactions: king_kong_
I’m tempering my expectations for this year given the installation of completely new systems. It’s going to take most of the season for our players to be able to play without having to think. 6-7 wins would be a big jump from where we’ve been. It’s going to be fun to watch.

I never got the fascination with Campbell.

He took over one of the worst Power 5 programs and took them to 5 straight bowl games including a Fiesta Bowl win. That's about as far as anyone is going to take a program like Iowa State, so he seems to have peaked and has now fallen off a bit the last two years. He should have left after that Fiesta Bowl win.

He took over one of the worst Power 5 programs and took them to 5 straight bowl games including a Fiesta Bowl win. That's about as far as anyone is going to take a program like Iowa State, so he seems to have peaked and has now fallen off a bit the last two years. He should have left after that Fiesta Bowl win.
I think he’s a pretty average coach who hit the lottery with a few under the radar recruits who turned in to NFL players. One could say he should have left but I’m not sure he ever had legitimate offers. IMO he should stay at ISU. It’s a perfect spot for him.

Good thing TA didn’t fire SF last year other wise Campbell could have been our new head coach..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT