ADVERTISEMENT

Winless

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
I don't see a game that NU should be favored. Purdue beat a fairly good BC team and Northwestern is 2-2. I can only blame prior staffs so much for this debacle and I still believe Frost ws the right hire. But what the hell. How did this happen?

Reactions: ssmill777
Maybe, just maybe, in the ugliest of ways, Nebraska pulls it out this Saturday against Purdue. Stranger things have happened.

Reactions: 9and4
How the hell did this happen? Go count the number of new head coaches and assiatant coaches over the the previous 4 years and add this year's group to it. That's how you go winless.

Hell the DBs have had more coaches than years, remember we had one pass away after spring ball.

We should have a good chance against: Purdue, NW, Minn, Illinois and B-C. I don’t think any are better than Colorado. It is bad right now, but if we can just get some succes and some confidence we can turn this thing around, to a degree.

Purdue won't go 1-4. That team is well coached, they have talent, and they have played every team tough. Bad spot for us, IMO.

My expectations are tragically low right now. Until this team proves it, no more Koolaid. Let's see it on the field!

I give us a chance in five games: Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, Bethune and Illinois. Purdue and NW have experienced QBs, so they should have an edge. Minnesota and Illinois are similar to Nebraska, while Bethune plays at a lower level. We are not ready to compete with Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State or Iowa.

Maybe, just maybe, in the ugliest of ways, Nebraska pulls it out this Saturday against Purdue. Stranger things have happened.

Purdue doesn’t have a man eating defense like Michigan and this game is winnable... This team needs dearly to have a fast start out of the gate Saturday...

But we can’t get out of the box and piss down our leg like the last 3 games...

Well, I'm assuming you're forgetting Bethune-Cookman. That aside, I still think we can manage 4, possibly 5 victories. I mentioned it in another thread, but I think for all the talk of buy in/quitting/etc., the bigger issue is this team's psyche (which is battered), in that they seem to have forgotten how to win and/or what it feels like to win. We have 7 straight losses going back to last year, and that wears on a team mentally. Are we good? No, but we also aren't as bad as alot of us think. I think when this team finally gets a win under their belt, we see a different team coming out of that game and onward, but right now that losing streak is a huge monkey on their back.

BigBL87, +1 and a fast start with something good happening instead of negative vibe whould go along way in positive beliefs..

BigBL87, +1 and a fast start with something good happening instead of negative vibe whould go along way in positive beliefs..

Thanks. I really think playing Akron in Week 1 could have changed the entire complexion of this season. Not saying that as a guarantee or anything, but I feel like we play and win that game, we might be 3-1 right now. I'm also not blaming Akron or anything, situation was what it was.

Well, I'm assuming you're forgetting Bethune-Cookman. That aside, I still think we can manage 4, possibly 5 victories. I mentioned it in another thread, but I think for all the talk of buy in/quitting/etc., the bigger issue is this team's psyche (which is battered), in that they seem to have forgotten how to win and/or what it feels like to win. We have 7 straight losses going back to last year, and that wears on a team mentally. Are we good? No, but we also aren't as bad as alot of us think. I think when this team finally gets a win under their belt, we see a different team coming out of that game and onward, but right now that losing streak is a huge monkey on their back.
I agree with this. Confidence can't be underestimated. They had some confidence before the Colorado game, but it went away after that loss. A victory of any kind would greatly help them gain some confidence back.

Don’t discount it.. the boilers have a brand new front seven.. and plenty of first time starters all over the field that just make the dumbest mistakes consistently. It went away for us yesterday but to think we have seen the last of it is premature.

If Purdue plays above average, they walk to a victory.. if blough goes billy the kid like Sindelar did v nu, Zico let’s balls get popped right out of his arm or if the boilers commit personal foul Penalties galore, Nebraska could easily win in the same fashion as last year ... we lost to emu just because coaches lined up not to lose on both sides.

Purdue doesn’t need to win or go to a bowl.: if they just keep it respectable and get Karlaftis, rice, Hunter, Grant, Hewitt, Sheffield et al on campus, it’s going to be a whole different team than this year or last year.., Purdue has zero pass rush from the DE position and Karlaftis is 247 #1 SSDE in the nation.

Next week or this season is not a referendum for either team unless it gets bad enough that recruits leave en masse

Last edited:
Reactions: 9and4 and saluno22
Don’t discount it.. the boilers have a brand new front seven.. and plenty of first time starters all over the field that just make the dumbest mistakes consistently. It went away for us yesterday but to think we have seen the last of it is premature.

If Purdue plays above average, they walk to a victory.. if blough goes billy the kid like Sindelar did v nu, Zico let’s balls get popped right out of his arm or if the boilers commit personal foul Penalties galore, Nebraska could easily win in the same fashion as last year ... we lost to emu just because coaches lined up not to lose on both sides.

Purdue doesn’t need to win or go to a bowl.: if they just keep it respectable and get Karlaftis, rice, Hunter, Grant, Hewitt, Sheffield et al on campus, it’s going to be a whole different team than this year or last year.., Purdue has zero pass rush from the DE position and Karlaftis is 247 #1 SSDE in the nation.

Next week or this season is not a referendum for either team unless it gets bad enough that recruits leave en masse

I think playing at 1-3 is more of a "must-win" situation than 3-1. It's a bad spot for us, and this isn't the old Purdue, this is a different Purdue.

If anything, I hope it's a good game between evenly matched, for the most part, teams.

Reactions: BoilerFYF and 9and4
I think playing at 1-3 is more of a "must-win" situation than 3-1. It's a bad spot for us, and this isn't the old Purdue, this is a different Purdue.

I really don’t see games this year as must win for either team.. so long as either team can sell “hey these are close losses, and only proof that a player like you can get on the field right away and turn this around” to recruits ..

And I’m not sure what you’re saying... if it’s old Purdue as in tiller glory days .. no we aren’t, but Brohm can have this team as good or better than the 03 boilers annually by 2020. If it’s old Purdue as in hazell/hope yes and no... better coaching and players who will be much better, BUT still so many so young and so inexperienced that they can go a whole quarter playing like PWE (Purdue’s worst ever - hazell) or Big dan the rent man are on the sidelines.

And it’s educated me that you can have the best coach ever come in.. and even do great in year one.. but it’s year two when you often have a combination of Super young players recruited by the new coach and also seniors and juniors who were actually worse recruits than the graduates from year one... because coaches who get fired often recruited worse as their tenure went on.. so frustrating

Last edited:
Wow, yeah our last win was Oct 28th of last year. It is very very possible this team goes a full year without winning a game.

Reactions: ssmill777
I really don’t see games this year as must win for either team.. so long as either team can sell “hey these are close losses, and only proof that a player like you can get on the field right away and turn this around” to recruits ..

And I’m not sure what you’re saying... if it’s old Purdue as in tiller glory days .. no we aren’t, but Brohm can have this team as good or better than the 03 boilers annually by 2020. If it’s old Purdue as in hazell/hope yes and no... better coaching and players who will be much better, BUT still so many so young and so inexperienced that they can go a whole quarter playing like PWE (Purdue’s worst ever - hazell) or Big dan the rent man are on the sidelines.

And it’s educated me that you can have the best coach ever come in.. and even do great in year one.. but it’s year two when you often have a combination of Super young players recruited by the new coach and also seniors and juniors who were actually worse recruits than the graduates from year one... because coaches who get fired often recruited worse as their tenure went on.. so frustrating

Can you count? You guys are 1-3.

So much for Purdue being an institution of mathematics.

I hate this spot. Purdue is going to be sky high.

Maybe the bottom will help. Just go straight down to the drain. Find out who is real, and who is full of bullshit.

You will beat BCC and get a win against one Big Ten team.
Quick correction: Bethune-Cookman upgraded from a college to a university more than a decade ago (2007) when it added master's degree programs. It's now BCU. And I agree on the number of Nebraska wins this year. Maybe a third, but that's it.

We should have a good chance against: Purdue, NW, Minn, Illinois and B-C. I don’t think any are better than Colorado. It is bad right now, but if we can just get some succes and some confidence we can turn this thing around, to a degree.
I agree with you headcard, but sad to say, Colorado was our best game. Kids played the hardest, OL had some life, DL had some push - but these teams have been handed an easy plan to defeat NU. Crowd the LOS and blitz 80% of the time. Our coaches can't figure out how to stop the rush. Then we self-destruct on special teams, penalties, and turnovers, and have no answer on how to move the ball. I think 2-3 wins is the ceiling this yr, and then how much will that affect recruiting? This is no easy or quick fix, maybe it can't be fixed? (Hope not).

Solid post. I think Brohm is a heck of a coach, hope you can hold on to him, he could do big things for Purdue.

Reactions: BoilerFYF
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT